Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#318334 - Wed Aug 16 2006 07:08 AM When 'facts' change?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
The International Astronomical Union (IAU), which is the international governing body and arbiter of all things astronomical, is about to decide on the status of a number of objects within the solar system. These include Pluto's moon Charon, which is likely to 'become' a binary planet of Pluto, rather than a moon. the status of Pluto may also change slightly with both Pluto and Charon becoming a lesser type of planet to be called 'plutons'. Other bodies within the solar system are also being considered as plutons, which could increase the number of solar planets from eight to eleven.
If as is likely the IAU decide in favour of the three 'new' planets, and class Charon and Pluto as binaries instead of planet and moon, how will this affect the various funtrivia quizzes which refer to Pluto, Charon, numbers of planets, etc? Will the quizzes be withdrawn, be referred back to their original creators, or simply be left to await correction notices?

#318335 - Wed Aug 16 2006 09:56 AM Re: When 'facts' change? [Re: picqero]
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
I don't know if I want to think about that!

I assume that, in the common mind, Pluto will still be considered a planet, no matter what the scientists decide. My gut reaction would be to leave the old quizzes as they are, and if we get correction notices on them, amend them with info about when they were written.

#318336 - Thu Aug 17 2006 12:42 AM Re: When 'facts' change? [Re: crisw]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Although it was Pluto's status which inspired my question, the principle of my query could be applied to any scientific or historic subject where new facts emerge, or scientific opinion changes.
I'm not in any way professionally involved in astronomy, but am interested in the subject, and have completed most of the related funtrivia quizzes, including the excellent '20 questions about ....' series by quiz creator almach, who I'm pretty sure will be following the latest 'planetary news' closely!

Moderator:  agony, gtho4