Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#321884 - Tue Sep 12 2006 03:15 PM Eating Our 'National' Symbol
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Just wondering, after lunching out yesterday on Kangaroo and Crocodile burgers, where else in the world can you eat your 'National' symbol?

Mmmm, the Croc was yummy (Vale Steve Irwin ) and the 'Roo was delicious!

#321885 - Tue Sep 12 2006 03:33 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: Engadine]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
I think Eagles are safe over here. Not only are they not popularly consumed, it'd definitely be a felony to eat one, I'm guessing ...

#321886 - Tue Sep 12 2006 05:25 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: Gatsby722]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've never eaten beaver, but I suspect it would be good. Certainly legal - there are lots of them around.

I'm eating Bison Stroganoff as we speak.

#321887 - Tue Sep 12 2006 06:09 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: agony]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
No way would I eat our 'national symbol', it might even be poisonous, it is a toad. Ewk.

#321888 - Tue Sep 12 2006 06:11 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: agony]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Kangaroo is a very lean meat and it is in abundance. It's just the thought of eating Skippy and the ill-advised rants of PETA that more people don't eat it.

Your Eagles are endagered, Gats? Or getting that way?

#321889 - Tue Sep 12 2006 06:33 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: Copago]
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Quote:

Kangaroo is a very lean meat and it is in abundance. It's just the thought of eating Skippy and the ill-advised rants of PETA that more people don't eat it.

Your Eagles are endagered, Gats? Or getting that way?

They've actually just taken the American Bald Eagle off the endangered list, apparently . . . but as to eating Skippy . . . I have no QUALMS whatsoever , I mean, if they're gonna cull them, why only use that good quality meat just for dog food? And as for eating Croc, well, I'd rather eat them than have the opposite occur!

#321890 - Tue Sep 12 2006 07:02 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: Engadine]
trident Offline
Prolific

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Well, I suppose if our national bird had actually been the turkey, then we'd be eating it every day for Thanksgiving!

Editor: World and General

#321891 - Tue Sep 12 2006 07:15 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: Engadine]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Dallas TX USA                 
Quote:

They've actually just taken the American Bald Eagle off the endangered list, apparently

It's been a few years since they were removed from the endangered species list, but they are still watched over as they are our national symbol.

Eagles removed from endangered species list

#321892 - Tue Sep 12 2006 08:03 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: dg_dave]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
I don't think England has an official National animal, though we do have a National flower, which is the rose. Scotland, Wales, and Ireland also have National flowers - the thistle, the daffodil, and the shamrock. Wales traditionally also has a National vegetable which is the leek, and we eat these regularly.
Unless I was really desperate, I wouldn't eat any animal which was a carnivore, such as crocodile. I recall reading a medical report about eating the meat of carnivores causing serious liver or kidney damage, and was put off for life.

#321893 - Wed Sep 13 2006 02:41 AM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: picqero]
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Quote:

Well, I suppose if our national bird had actually been the turkey, then we'd be eating it every day for Thanksgiving!

I have some `Roo sausages sitting in the freezer most of the time. Nice tasting meat and healthy as well. If an animal is in abundance I can`t see a problem with killing it humanely then eating it. I was once astonished at the sight of numerous kangaroo tails in a shop fridge near Ayers Rock though.

#321894 - Wed Sep 13 2006 05:55 AM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: damnsuicidalroos]
jazzycatzz Offline
Participant

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Eagles are actually quite tasty if properly cooked, as they tend to be tough. I generally boil mine with cabbage for approximately 3 hours, which not only tenderizes but makes my version of the Irish dish...cheap and tasty. Eagles are easily harvested if one is patient enough to wait for them to drop dead and fall to the ground; on occasion they fall near various types of roadkill, which makes a nice gravy if properly sauteed.

Edited by jazzycatzz (Wed Sep 13 2006 06:35 AM)

#321895 - Wed Sep 13 2006 12:31 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: jazzycatzz]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

Eagles are actually quite tasty if properly cooked, as they tend to be tough. I generally boil mine with cabbage for approximately 3 hours, which not only tenderizes but makes my version of the Irish dish...cheap and tasty. Eagles are easily harvested if one is patient enough to wait for them to drop dead and fall to the ground; on occasion they fall near various types of roadkill, which makes a nice gravy if properly sauteed.

Do you have them as a starter or as a main course?

#321896 - Wed Sep 13 2006 01:21 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: picqero]
jazzycatzz Offline
Participant

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Thank you for asking...I personally tend to eat the dish initially as a main course and, because there are usually leftovers (depending on the size of both the eagle and the cabbage) happily eat the remeinder as an appetizer for the remainder of the week.

#321897 - Wed Sep 13 2006 02:08 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: jazzycatzz]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
As Aramis says, we Brits haven't got a national animal, except perhaps the British bulldog (which, like Sue's toad, looks much too ugly to eat anyway).

I've heard it said that the English aversion to eating horseflesh goes back to Anglo-Saxon days when the horse had some kind of sacred significance, but I don't think there's any hard evidence to support this.

#321898 - Wed Sep 13 2006 02:13 PM Re: Eating Our 'National' Symbol [Re: TabbyTom]
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
It sounds slightly eerie to consume a Golden Eagle for lunch...no matter how delicious he may seem with peppered gravy.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943