Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#326487 - Sun Oct 15 2006 03:22 PM Earthquake In Hawaii
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Beresford, SD, USA
Yahoo News

HONOLULU - A strong earthquake shook Hawaii early Sunday, causing a landslide that blocked a major highway on Hawaii Island and knocking out power across the state, authorities said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The state Civil Defense had unconfirmed reports of injuries, but communication problems prevented more definite reports. People were also trapped in elevators in Oahu, authorities said.

The Pacific Tsunami Center reported a preliminary magnitude of 6.5, while the U.S. Geological Survey gave a preliminary magnitude of 6.6. It was followed by several strong aftershocks, including one measuring a magnitude of 5.8, the Geological Survey said.

Hope all of our FT members in Hawaii are ok.

#326488 - Mon Oct 16 2006 01:06 AM Re: Earthquake In Hawaii [Re: wdwfla]
baldasiandude Offline
Participant

Loc: Kailua, Hawai'i USA
sorry, i didnt see this post, otherwise i would have responded.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/index.html

this website seems to have kept hawaii residents and those who just wanted to know more about today.

the Big Island seems to have suffered most of the damage. I live on the Windward side of Oahu and note that the only problem was loss of power for 12 hours.

- jon

#326489 - Mon Oct 16 2006 08:15 AM Re: Earthquake In Hawaii [Re: baldasiandude]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Right, all in here now.

Keep us posted as to any problems. Keep well.

#326490 - Mon Oct 16 2006 11:08 AM Re: Earthquake In Hawaii [Re: sue943]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I just looked up the stats on earthquakes in 1980-1981 because that is when I lived near the University of Hawaii. We had a loud one and it was scary because of the built up population areas and the high rises.
I know we heard screams from people and then dogs barking and lots of us got bundled up and went to sleep in the playing field nearby at a school.

If that one wasn't even worth keeping in the stats, then I feel for you all now with this one!

My then geography professor told us that the earthquakes in Hawaii were relatively mild ones though. Not that that is any consolation to you when you hear bookcases knocking against the walls, people screaming and dogs barking. It's the tsnuami threat that's scarier than the quake though.

Baldasiandude, are you out at Kaneohe side? We had more storms out there with power outages than anything else.

#326491 - Thu Oct 19 2006 01:21 AM Re: Earthquake In Hawaii [Re: Bruyere]
baldasiandude Offline
Participant

Loc: Kailua, Hawai'i USA
I live near Kaneohe and yeah it was more northwest kind of mist rain rather than stormy weather. The Big Island really seems to have had it bad where lots of buildings, roads, harbors have been damaged.

Lots of landmarks on the Big Island have been damaged. Old churches built in the 19th century among others.

- Jon

#326492 - Thu Oct 19 2006 02:21 AM Re: Earthquake In Hawaii [Re: baldasiandude]
ozfei Offline
Prolific

Loc: Redcliffe Queensland Australia
Here's hoping you all stay safe.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943