Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#329069 - Wed Nov 01 2006 05:10 AM Re: Your Pets!
maggss Offline
Participant

Loc: Nottinghamshire UK
we have a dog jasper he is my daughters and took a lot of looking through dog books to find the breed she wanted

he is a swidish vallhund and very intelligant he is 6 mounths old and likes anything he souldn't but i must admit he dosn't chew the furniture

rw like the discuise answer lol

#329070 - Wed Nov 01 2006 10:21 AM Re: Your Pets!
Catamount Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Coquitlam BC Canada     
Old - er - MATURE cats are a lot of fun. My two are 16, but don't tell them! Especially the female, Mimi, still acts like a kitten. The other day she brought us a bird (gee, thanks!) after several years of catching nothing faster than slugs (the big Westcoast ones - yuck). But her main job in life is to glare at the dog and keep him in a perpetual state of terror.

Her brother, Grumpy, is getting lazy but not when food is involved. He's having a bit of a nervous breakdown right now because he's used to get his dinner at 5pm sharp. The change from daylight savings to standard time has always been hard on him. (They do have dry food to nibble on all day but dinner is special because it comes from a can.) His relationship with the dog is a bit more relaxed, from ignoring him and walking underneath his belly to actually making playful advances.

The dog is a lab/husky cross; lovely personality, too smart for his own good and usually scared spitless of Mimi. Every once in a while he gets some kind of death wish and starts barking at her, jumping around and making play bows. Her response ranks from totally ignoring him to the iciest glare you ever saw to physical retaliation. I sometimes hear his playful bark, followed by a hiss and a yelp, and by the time I get to the scene I find a cowering dog and a cat stalking past me in high dudgeon.

On the whole though they stick together, united against the humans, and unlike little kids they never rat each other out! We have found evidence of feline-canine joint attacks on the garbage or leftovers (and sometimes they don't wait for the leftovers - that's why we now have a kitchen door.)

#329071 - Wed Nov 01 2006 10:25 AM Re: Your Pets!
Catamount Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Coquitlam BC Canada     
PS: "the dog" is named Marley, after Bob Marley. My son thought it sounded like a cool name. Only problem is, most people think it's "Molly" and look surprised when he lifts his leg. Even dogs can't seem to tell the difference between the names; my sister-in-law has a "mother-of-puppy-dogs" (I'm not allowed to use the "B" word here) named "Molly" and when you call one of them they both show up.

#329072 - Wed Nov 01 2006 10:39 AM Re: Your Pets!
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
My ClaraSue, a Shar-Pei/Pit Bull mix still rules the roost here. Found as an 8-week old puppy abandoned on the road, she is now 7 years old and has a very domineering personality. What she wants, she gets. Every morning she waits, impatiently, for her little bit of coffee. She even has her own "coffee bowl" that is used exclusively for that drink.

I used to have a cockatiel named Bruno. I lived in an apartment that didn't allow dogs so he became my constant companion. He followed me flying from room to room and would ask me "whatcha' doin?" followed by saying "dammit Bruno!". It took me awhile to figure out where he got that phrase, but it came to me one morning when I was fixing my hair and he dive-bombed me. I ducked and said "dammit Bruno". I don't know why he picked up on that one phrase instead of the many others I used for him. It was like having a small child around; you had to watch what you said because they have the knack of picking up and repeating the bad words.

#329073 - Wed Nov 01 2006 11:43 AM Re: Your Pets!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
No pets of my own, as when I was young, Mum and Dad knew I wouldn't be able to cope when any pet died But the thread is entertaining, to hear about other peoples pets. Always like the look of Golden Labradors myself

#329074 - Wed Nov 01 2006 01:59 PM Re: Your Pets!
bullyb1 Offline
Participant

Loc: OH
Boy, I feel better. We have a B&W Bull Terrier, an orange English Setter, and a yellow Lab (quite the English dog breed theme huh?) I have an african grey parrot, a cherry headed conure parrot, a cat, a rabbit, a pet duck, a halflinger horse, and a big bunch of chickens. My husband always says no more pets but we are incurable rescuers!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ren33, sue943