Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#334317 - Mon May 21 2007 02:53 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: crisw]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Also, please remember the editors do not take quizzes offline for just any reason - if there are typos, we generally try to fix those rather than take the quiz offline. If it's something we can quickly find out is right/wrong, we may do that as well.

Editor for Television Category

#334318 - Wed Jun 13 2007 10:52 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: crisw]
tx_knight Offline
Learning the ropes...

Here are some of the problems I've found in questions:

Some answers are regionalized, but posted as universal. Equine-related questions are good examples.

Choice of wording could be better. One recent question asked about marinade, but the "correct" answer was actually a dip.

Typographical errors change the meanings of the questions. In one question, typing "knees" vice "knee" made the correct answer physically impossible.

#334319 - Thu Jun 14 2007 12:27 AM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: tx_knight]
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
If you run across equine answers with such quizzes, please submit a correction notice! Such quizzes are usually old; I've been very strict for awhile that country-specific questions need to be indicated.

#334320 - Mon Jul 30 2007 01:14 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: crisw]
sancho_pft Offline
Participant

Loc: Middlesbrough UK
Maybe I've been lucky; with the exception of the feedback at submission stage from the editors (may their tribe increase) I have only received one correction notice; and the person querying it based their answer on what they had been told by a third party.

#334321 - Mon Sep 24 2007 04:24 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: crisw]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I tried to send a correction for a crossword but it came up as no quid chosen. Is there something I'm missing?

#334322 - Mon Sep 24 2007 04:55 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: rayven80]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
No, there's a problem there that Terry will need to fix. It's on his list.

Meantime, if you send a note to a crossword editor (being very specific about which puzzle and the nature of the error) we'll make sure any necessary change is made. You can send that note to me, if you like. If it isn't in my area, I'll pass it on to the correct person.

#334323 - Mon Sep 24 2007 06:00 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: spanishliz]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Thanks for the information.

#334324 - Mon Oct 15 2007 05:18 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: ladymacb29]
blazerfan004 Offline
Participant

Loc: British Columbia Canada
I think that before sending a correction you should look it up on google to make sure that you're correction is in fact, correct.

#334325 - Tue Oct 16 2007 03:31 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: blazerfan004]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

I think that before sending a correction you should look it up on google to make sure that you're correction is in fact, correct.

...and read the interesting info. And don't send a correction notice if you were the person who spelled the answer incorrectly (there's nothing incorrect in the quiz).

If these were done, I think at least 75% of the correction notices wouldn't be sent, actually. (Or at least the ones in the TV category.)

Edited by ladymacb29 (Tue Oct 16 2007 03:32 PM)

Editor for Television Category

#334326 - Thu Oct 18 2007 06:39 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: crisw]
red_stone Offline
Explorer

I have just recently started submitting quizzes, and find that I quite enjoy writing them. I now have a few on-line and have received a couple of correction notices, and I imagine I will receive a few more. What I have noticed, on the first correction notice I responded right away to the sender. The next correction notice The sender of it was right so I made the corrections before responding to the sender. When I went back the next day to send them a note the notice was gone, so I could not reply. I think that if the note itself were to remain in your mail-box until you delete it, it would be much easier to respond.

#334327 - Thu Oct 18 2007 10:28 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: red_stone]
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
The notes are cleared when the editor marks your quiz as corrected. We really don't have any way to leave them in your mailbox.

#334328 - Fri Oct 19 2007 06:53 AM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: crisw]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I have a file on my computer where I keep all FT correspondence that I may have a future need for. This is also a great way to keep your compliments, so they don't jam up the mailbox but you can remember who sent you a note on your last quiz, and keep and eye out for their next one.

#334329 - Sun Oct 21 2007 07:00 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: agony]
red_stone Offline
Explorer

That is such a great idea, thanks I'm going to try that.

#334330 - Sun Nov 04 2007 11:25 AM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: red_stone]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've been spending the morning checking correction notes, and found a few things reoccurring, that I'd like to remind everybody about.

First is - did you read the whole question, including the clue? For several of the correction notes I've seen today, the author clearly states an important aspect of the question in the clue. The players who sent off notes had plainly not read this, or they would not have made the mistakes that they did.

Second, and this is mostly relevant to tournament play - did you read the quiz title, and make note of which category the quiz was in? If the quiz is in the Literature category, then it just does not matter what happens in the movie. If the quiz is in Movies, then who cares what happened in the Broadway show? Be alert.

As for the quiz title, there is often very essential information there - you ignore it at your peril.

We endeavour to make sure all quizzes are fair and correct, but it's up to you to make use of all of the available information.

#334331 - Fri Mar 28 2008 09:24 AM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: crisw]
woboogie Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bay City
Michigan USA 
Interesting thread. Like HairyBear, I'm one of those annoying people who sends correction notices. Usually I can tell if they're simple typos or serious factual/stylistic errors. And I DO do my research first--anyone who's done a lot of research for anything knows that several different sources can provide just as many different facts. It can be confusing! (Especially when it comes to the Internet. Guess I'm still a 'find a traditionally published source' sorta person... ).

But I would expect the same courtesy (i.e., pointing out a correction) on any quiz I've written. Also, I don't mind discussions about them, if they're done in a friendly, rational way.

In fact, on a recent quiz I got a compliment with a correction included (spelling of an English city). Went to look for the error and couldn't find it. My husband couldn't find it. I emailed the 'corrector' of my dilemma and, sure enough, he couldn't fiind it again either. It's much funnier than it sounds, and we all laughed about it.

I always try to be polite and also compliment the quiz maker if I send a correction. I'm a born cynic, but in these cases, that will get you nowhere!

And, yes, thank you editors for your hard work. I've worked several times with one editor in particular that is very good, understanding and thorough. You probably know who you are (and NO, I'm not buttering anyone up! ). I didn't realize editors also reviewed corrections. Bravo!

Keep up the good work. Everyone. Oh, and sorry for being so long-winded!

Cheers!

woboogie

Edited by woboogie (Fri Mar 28 2008 09:36 AM)

#334332 - Fri Mar 28 2008 10:34 AM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: woboogie]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
A pet peeve of mine is what ladymacb alluded to. People sending correction notes when the explanation for what they think is an error is clearly shown in the interesting info, if they read it.

#334333 - Fri Mar 28 2008 02:22 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: jonnowales]
woboogie Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bay City
Michigan USA 
I can understand that frustration. I think the interesting info is the best part of quizzes. But that's just me.

woboogie

#334334 - Tue Oct 07 2008 07:26 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: ladymacb29]
cag1970 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Charlotte North Carolina USA
As a general rule, I'll review any correction notice I get and, if the player is correct, I'll thank them for pointing out the error and for taking the quiz. If I feel the player is incorrect, I'll explain to them why I think that, cite any supporting materials to indicate my research, and thank them for taking the quiz.

Getting an inaccurate correction notice can be a pain if the other person insists, despite your best efforts, that you're wrong. But the way I look at it, if someone feels that I'm off base and can show me that, it makes me a better quiz writer.

#334335 - Fri Oct 17 2008 09:14 AM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: cag1970]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
cag1970, couldn't agree more. I had one today that both I and the editor missed. A couple of hundred players also either didn't spot it or couldn't be bothered to send a correction. I'd rather get one early than later.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#334336 - Fri Oct 17 2008 12:51 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: romeomikegolf]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
I'm with you there mike - I once had a correction for a question that had been online over a year, played by over 200 people, and by myself about 6 times, and we still all missed an error! It was one of those "doh!" moments.

#334337 - Sun Nov 23 2008 12:15 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: Rowena8482]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
I have been guilty of ignoring a minor error on the grounds that it was petty, or that surely the writer would know about it by now? Not always! When I have done so, I've had replies that said "Oops... thank you ... didn't see that!"

At the other end of the scale, I had one correction notice for my one and only quiz, that said what I'd written was wrong, but didn't offer any information or resources to back it up, or suggest a better way of phrasing the question. Dealing with that was a bit like nailing a jelly to the wall.

If I send a correction notice, I will always back it up with what I think is the right phrase or spelling, and usually a reference of some sort to corroborate it. I don't think it's polite to tell a quiz author this is wrong but you need to work out why.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#334338 - Sun Nov 23 2008 12:26 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: lesley153]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
And now I shall be grateful for advice, please - I don't know the best place to post this.

I've just done today's brain twist:
http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/BrainTeasers/Anagram-Quiz-239192.html
Quiz - Anagram Quiz
There was no guide to the order required, so I put them in the same order as the clues, and got the words right, but marked wrong for being in the "wrong" order.

Then I checked back to the original quiz, and read the rubric. A whole chunk of it had been removed for the Brain Twist:
"Make sure that the answers are in the order that makes sense, which is not necessarily the order given."
What a difference that would have made if I'd seen it first!

So I missed out on today's Brain Twist points, and hope it's OK for me to express my disappointment here.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#334339 - Sun Nov 23 2008 12:30 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: lesley153]
whee Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Castle Rock Colorado USA   
Lesley, I would suggest posting it as a new thread, and title it something like:

GC: Brain Twist: Suggested improvement

and suggest that the full rubic is included in the GC. However, the GC seems to be working off a very old database, so it's possible that it does include the full rubic from the time when the quiz was written

#334340 - Sun Nov 23 2008 12:40 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: whee]
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
That happened to me too, Lesley. I wasn't very happy.

#334341 - Sun Nov 23 2008 02:37 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: MaggieG]
mutchisman Offline
Explorer

Loc: Birmingham UK
I agree with Lesley and Maggie - today's Twister was very confusing. First one I've missed this G/C, I suspect quite a few other people's jaws dropped when the answers page came up.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4