Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#345811 - Mon Feb 05 2007 09:16 AM Recipe Exchange - Desserts
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Post your dessert recipes here.

To Main Recipe Exchange Page

Edited by SilverMoonsong (Fri Feb 10 2012 12:30 PM)

#345812 - Mon Feb 05 2007 12:00 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: sue943]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
This is without a doubt the best cake I've ever eaten. It's my sister's recipe and she has another, more colourful name for it!

OATMEAL CAKE

Combine 1 c oats and 1 ½ c boiling water and let sit for 20 minutes.

Cream together:
½ c butter
1 c sugar
1 c packed brown sugar
Add:
2 eggs & 1 tsp vanilla, beaten together
Blend until smooth.

Stir in oat mixture.

In a separate bowl, combine:
1 1/3 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg

Add to wet mixture and beat until smooth.
Pour into a greased pan (13 x 9)
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

GLAZE
In a saucepan melt:
½ c butter
Add 1 1/3 c brown sugar
1 c chopped nuts (I prefer pecans)
ĵ c cream or milk

Pour over warm cake and place under broiler until it bubbles and is golden in colour.
WATCH carefully because it can burn very quickly.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#345813 - Mon Feb 05 2007 07:23 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: skunkee]
tiffanyram Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Jackson Tennessee USA 
These are my absolute favorite cookies:

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
Oats to liking (2-2 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Mix sugar, cocoa, and milk in saucepan. Boil this mixture at a full boil for 1 full minute. Remove from heat and then add first peanut butter, then oats. Spoon onto cookie sheet or aluminum foil and let cool.

These are fairly easy to make and don't require baking. Make sure you begin to spoon the mix onto the sheet as soon as the oats and peanut butter are mixed in because it begins to thicken.

#345814 - Mon Feb 05 2007 08:10 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: tiffanyram]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
skunkee, I make a cake very like that for the kids at work, and even though it doesn't look like the kind of thing children like, they love it.

#345815 - Mon Feb 05 2007 08:58 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: agony]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
My sister calls it 'Looks like S---, Tastes Great Cake'. Everyone I've served it to has asked for the recipe.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#345816 - Tue Feb 06 2007 03:33 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: skunkee]
Scottie2306 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia        
This one should really be under "Baking" or some such. I don't really serve it as a dessert, although I suppose I could......

ARMENIAN NUTMEG CAKE

2 Cups plain flour (all purpose flour)
2 tsp baking powder
125g butter
2 cups brown sugar (I use 1½ cups only, as I find this too sweet)
1 cup milk
1 tsp bicarb. soda
1 egg
1 tsp grated nutmeg

Set oven to moderately hot (190 deg C) & grease lamington tin.

Sift flour, baking powder & pinch salt into large bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar. Spread half over base of prepared tin.
Mix milk, bicarb, and egg together and add to remaining dry ingredients with nutmeg. Beat with wooden spoon until batter is smooth. Pour over dry ingredients in tin and sprinkle with chopped nuts (opt)
Bake mod. hot oven 50 mins or until top is golden brown.

Tin will be be VERY full, but it won’t overflow.

(I make the whole thing in food processor)

Delicious, and doesn't need any icing, etc.

#345817 - Fri Mar 09 2007 05:06 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: skunkee]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
My husband's been doing this recently... Not a very exact recipe!

Grilled Strawberries

- Get as many strawberries as you'd like to eat. Generally, I use the smallest container from the store.

- Cut off the green stem off the top of the strawberries and rinse them.

- You can use either regular or brown sugar - just put a little bit over the strawberries.

- On a medium heated grill pan (can use a skillet), just grill the strawberries until they're soft.

I would think you could add some cinnamon with the sugar for a different taste, but we haven't tried it yet.

Edited by ladymacb29 (Fri Mar 09 2007 05:06 PM)

Editor for Television Category

#345818 - Mon Apr 02 2007 03:18 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: ladymacb29]
toughynutter Offline
Participant

There is not a lot of middle ground with this one people either love it or hate it mostly based on there love of garlic

Garlic Lime Ice

serves 4 but easily scalable

3 cups water

1/2 lime juice fresh squeeze or store bought is OK

1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar or equivalent sugar substitute like 'Splenda'

1 -3 gloves of garlic heck even more to taste.

Combine water lime juice and crushed garlic in food processor or blender until garlic pieces are no longer discernible. For the first time it is generally best to start light on the garlic you can always add more after taste testing. Keep in mind upon freezing flavor do become more muted.

Place in a shallow glass baking dish a 9x12 glass cake pan works well. Avoid metal pans as the citric acid will dissolve some of the pan creating a metallic taste. Check every 1/2 hour and stir with a fork. When Ice crystals start to form you can check and fork stir more often the more you stir the finer the crystal in the end product. I prefer a little on the coarse side. Take out of freeze 1/2 before serving and again fork stir. As above the more stirring the finer the crystal it is a matter of personal taste. SERVE in sherbet or Ice cream bowl, a sprig of mint is a nice touch.

Any fruit juice could be substitute for lime juice. I originally use lemon but must say the subtler flavor and slight more bitter less acidic lime IMHO compliments the garlic better. I would thing grapefruit would work well also, I would avoid juices that are just sweet with no counter balance of acidity or bitterness like apple, grape and pear as the garlic would over power them.

#345819 - Thu May 17 2007 06:17 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: toughynutter]
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I'm posting this under both "Salads" and "Desserts." I made it for a Mother/Daughter dinner at church, and had tons of recipe requests. It's not too sweet like some similar ones.

Overnight Fruit Salad

3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 T. butter or margarine
2 cups green or red grapes
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
1 15 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
2 medium firm bananas, sliced
2 cups whipping (heavy) cream, whipped
1/2 cup chopped pecans

In a double boiler over medium heat, cook and stir eggs, sugar, and vinegar until mixture is thickened and reaches 60 degrees. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Cool. In a large serving bowl, combine grapes, marshmallows, pineapple, oranges, and bananas; add cooled dressing and stir to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Just before serving, fold in whipped cream and pecans. 12-16 servings.

#345820 - Mon Jan 05 2009 04:32 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: cinnam0n]
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Sandusky Ohio USA         
Old Fashioned Mincemeat Pie

If you are looking for actual meat filling, this is one I have eaten and it is out of this world. It is an Amish/Mennonite custom pie here in Ohio and in Pennsylvania. The crust instructions are not included, but you can use homemade or already prepared. You can leave out the suet and substitute solid vegetable shortening without making a huge difference in the taste, but you need good suet like Atora brand if you use it. (I am told you cannot do that in a pudding that calls for suet though!) If you don't care for the citron, take that out and add more of another one of the fruits to make up for the *bulk*, but the citron works the best.

It is from a cookbook called the "Mennonite Community Cookbook" and will make enough to have 7 quarts, easy to cut the recipe in half if you don't want to make that much.

1-1/2 lbs.beef
1-1/2 lbs.pork
1/2 lb. suet
2 lbs seedless raisins
2 lbs. currants
2 lbs. granulated sugar
1 lb. brown sugar
2 oranges
2 lemons
1/2 lb. citron
2 quarts (8 cups) chopped apples
1 cup molasses
2 tsp. ground cloves
3 tsp. each of cinnamon and ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup cider

Cook beef, pork and suet until tender.
Mince fine or grind through food chopper.
Cook raisins and currents until soft.
Chop citron, apples, oranges and lemon very fine or grind through coarse blade of food chopper.
Add meat and other ingredients and simmer together for 12 minutes.
Put in containers/jars and seal while hot, chill for at least 3 days.

#345821 - Thu Jan 08 2009 02:08 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: jordandog]
NancyBA Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina        
A very original recipe

This recipe was posted by singer/songwriter Jason Mraz (a rawfoodist) on his blog. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds delicious and besides, it's natural, no sugar additives of any kind and no processed cocoa either. And is very nutritious. If you try it then let me know!

Chocomole
100% natural dessert made with avocados and cocoa. A mousse your mouth won’t believe!

What you'll need in the bowl:
2 Ripe (soft) Avocados
20 yummy dates
Some Coconut Oil, Agave Nectar, Vanilla Extract, and Raw Cacao

What you'll need on the radio
I prefer Italian, Flamenco, or Reggae. Funiculi, Funicula always puts a bounce over the cutting board. However, Bob Marley goes well with this tropical delicacy.

Halve the two avocados and mush up all the green goodness. You may throw away the seed but save the skins as those will be used as serving cups later.

Chop chop chop the dates again and again and again. About 8-10 dates per avocado should do the sticky trick. A food processor makes this task super easy, but doing it by hand can be meditative. Careful you don't zone out and add fingernail or blood to the recipe. There's already plenty of calcium in the pudding.

Squirt/pour/drizzle in as much Agave Nectar as you like. I like to do a few tablespoons to start and then add more at the end if the mousse isn't sweet enough.

Pour just a drop of Vanilla, it will do

Then throw on a heaping spoonful of Coconut Oil. This is a must as it will really dress up the dessert and surprise the tastebuds with something more exotic that you'd anticipated. (on a side note, you can use cococut oil for cooking everything. it's a super healthy alternative, especially for those who still cook with left over bacon grease.)

Add one spoonful of raw Cacao PER avocado. Too much cacao could make the mix bitter, so be modest.

Now stir it up... little darlin' stir it up. If you have a kitchen mixer, try to harmonize with it. Otherwise mixing with a knife and fork will help you get those dates down to a smoother dimension.

The recipe should fit perfectly back into the avocado skins. Whatever's left over you should eat with your fingers right then and there.

Add your favorite garnish and let cool in the fridge. (My parents prefer this dessert the day after as all the flavors congeal and the whole thing becomes more like a pudding.)
By Jason Mraz

#1026970 - Sat Dec 21 2013 05:59 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: sue943]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Since we are in the midst of the Holidays, I thought we could share some of our favorite recipes. I see friends posting and 'pinning' on Facebook - how about we share some of those yummies here as well?

#1026977 - Sat Dec 21 2013 06:12 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: sue943]
SilverMoonsong Offline

On Christmas Day, I'll be watching the Doctor Who Christmas special with about 15 other Whovians, and we've been asked to bring finger foods. I'm making a Peanut Butter Ball:

Ingredients
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (not all-natural)
  • 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup peanut butter chips
  • Graham cracker sticks, teddy grahams, and/or apple slices for dipping

Instructions
  • Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, peanut butter and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until blended.
  • Spoon onto a large piece of plastic wrap; bring up all four corners and twist tightly forming into a ball shape.
  • Freeze for 1 hour 30 minutes or until firm enough to keep its shape. Place peanut butter and chocolate chips in flat dish. Remove plastic wrap from ball and roll ball into morsels to completely cover, pressing morsels into the ball if necessary.
  • Place ball on serving dish; cover and freeze for 2 hours or until almost firm. (Can be made ahead. If frozen overnight, thaw at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.) Serve with graham cracker sticks, teddy grahams, or apple slices for dipping or spreading.

There are some step-by-step pictures here.

#1027684 - Thu Dec 26 2013 06:05 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: sue943]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
That peanut butter ball looks absolutely delicious!

#1027694 - Thu Dec 26 2013 09:40 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: sue943]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Dave - it was! It's also gluten-free, so the one guy we had who was sensitive could eat it. smile He couldn't eat the teddy grahams, but it can be served with apple slices for those with a gluten intolerance.

#1027697 - Thu Dec 26 2013 09:52 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Desserts [Re: sue943]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Cool...my uncle on my mom's side is gluten-intolerant, so I might just pass that recipe on to her.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong