Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#345895 - Tue Feb 06 2007 06:06 AM Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Basically for your baking recipes.

Bear in mind the language difference for this one to avoid confusion.

American to British

Cookies = Biscuits
Biscuits = Scones

To Main Recipe Exchange Page

Edited by SilverMoonsong (Fri Feb 10 2012 12:30 PM)

#345896 - Wed Feb 07 2007 06:34 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: sue943]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
This is the very best cookie recipe I know - a sure fire crowd pleaser.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup margarine, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups white flour
2/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup semi sweet or milk or white chocolate chips

Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla.
In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa, soda and salt. Beat into batter. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfulls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in 350 oven for 8 minutes (they should still be fairly soft when you take them out) cool on rack.

Edited by agony (Wed Feb 07 2007 06:42 PM)

#345897 - Wed Feb 07 2007 06:42 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

This is a great loaf to take when you need to bring something to a gathering. People are always surprised at how good it is, it's not very sweet.

Lemon Loaf

1/2 cup butter or margarine softened to room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Grated rind of one lemon

Cream butter, sugar and one egg. Beat in second egg, blend in milk.

In another bowl, mix dry ingredients. Pour over batter, stir to moisten. Spoon into greased loaf pan, bake for 1 hour at 350. Glaze while hot, let sit in pan for about 10 minutes, and then cool on rack.

GLAZE - this is the important part!

Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup sugar

Heat in small pan to boiling. Spoon over hot loaf.

Edited by agony (Wed Feb 07 2007 06:43 PM)

#345898 - Wed Feb 07 2007 07:05 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

This one is my own adaptation of a commercial recipe - it takes a while as it is a yeast dough, but is very different, and worth it. It's a variation on a cinnamon bun.

Lemon Buns

1/2 cup warm water
2 packs or two tablespoons dry yeast (you can use either regular or rapid, just adjust the timing accordingly)
2 Tablespoons sugar

Mix in small bowl, let sit for ten minutes.

1 package (3 1/2 oz) instant lemon pudding mix
2 cups milk
1/2 cup margarine, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp salt

Beat pudding mix and milk together. Add margarine, eggs, and salt, beat. Add yeast mixture.

6 cups (about) flour
Grated rind of one lemon

Mix in lemon rind, and add the flour gradually. Eventually it will get stiff enough so that you will have to mix it in by hand. Knead until smooth. Turn into greased bowl, and let rise until doubled (about two hours). Punch down and let rise again (skip this step if you use rapid yeast).

You can either make lots of small buns, or a dozen giant ones. I would recommend making two dozen buns - they will be large but not gigantic. For two dozen, divide the dough into two equal portions. Roll out on floured surface about 18 inches long and maybe 14 inches deep. Make the filling.

1/4 cup softened margarine
juice of one lemon
icing sugar

Use enough icing sugar to make a fairly stiff icing (about two cups) Add the sugar gradually, until it is right.

Spread about one third the filling on each of your dough rectangles. Roll them up from the wide side, tightly, and slice into 12 each. Place on greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Let rise until doubled, maybe 20 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes. You want them golden on top. Invert onto another cookie sheet, let sit like that for five minutes or so, and then turn right side up.

Frost with the rest of the filling, while still warm but not hot.

This sounds like a lot of work, written out like that, but these are about as hard as any cinnamon bun - not difficult at all if you are used to working with yeast doughs.

#345899 - Sat Feb 17 2007 08:54 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

This is a relatively easy little treat that looks great.

Apple Cinnamon Rollups

1 3/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 TB sugar
1/3 cup shortening or margarine or butter
3/4 cup milk
cinnamon sugar
applesauce - maybe 1/3 cup or so

OR

you can use a commercial baking powder or tea biscuit mix, and add 2 TB sugar

Mix dry ingredients, cut in shortening, and milk, mix. Turn out on lightly floured board, knead gently 10 times ONLY.
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar (make it by adding ground cinnamon to sugar, to your taste - if you really like cinnamon, you can even go half and half, or use much less cinnamon for a lighter taste) on your rolling board, the way you usually would sprinkle flour for rolling out.
Take a handful of dough (enough to roll out to about an 8 inch circle) and roll it out on the cinnamon sugar. Use a litle flour on top to keep it from sticking - you only want the cinnamon on the bottom.
Spread about a tablespoon of applesauce (homemade or canned, doesn't matter) on this, cut into 8 wedges. Roll up from the wide side, place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Repeat until all the dough is gone.
Bake for 20 minues at 350 - if your oven is a little hot, keep an eye on the first batch, they might burn. Adjust heat if necessary.
This should make about 24.

#345900 - Wed Feb 28 2007 03:44 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: agony]
Frøya Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Norway
this is one of my favorite chocolate cakes, and for those who like dark chocolate. Literally translated the name of the cake is "Unsuccessful Cake" because it is only 20 minutes in the oven and the cake is "soft" in the middle when finished.

4 eggs
2 dl sugar
200 g dark chocolate, 60% cocao or more. I usually use around 80%
200 g butter
2.5 dl flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

- Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy
- Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat, do NOT stir the chocolate until it is completely soft
- Add the chocolate-butter mix and the flour-baking powder to the eggs in turns
- Bake on center rack at 225°C for 20 min.
- The cake tastes best after it has been standing in a cool place for 2-3 days

Edited by Frøya (Wed Feb 28 2007 03:45 AM)

#345901 - Wed Feb 28 2007 07:52 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: Frøya]
agony Offline

Administrator

Frøya, I'm unfamiliar with your measurements - I know "g" of course, but what is "dl"? I'm wondering what the "untranslated" name of the cake is? It sounds rich and good.

#345902 - Wed Feb 28 2007 09:24 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: agony]
Frøya Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Norway
Quote:

Frøya, I'm unfamiliar with your measurements - I know "g" of course, but what is "dl"? I'm wondering what the "untranslated" name of the cake is? It sounds rich and good.

1 dl (deciliter) = 0.1 liter
is it not used?

the Norwegian name is "Mislykket Sjokoladekake"
It is rich and good. Can also be served with whipped cream and/or strawberries or ice-cream

#345903 - Wed Feb 28 2007 02:27 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: Frøya]
agony Offline

Administrator

We use milliliters here in Canada, so 2.5 dl would be 250 ml.

If the Americans wanted to call it a cup, they wouldn't be too far off.

#345904 - Wed Jun 06 2007 03:08 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: agony]
toadette Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Port Dover Ontario Canada
I found this recipe in my mom's stuff, but I don't quite understand her instructions for the pastry (Roll pastry into 2" 5" circles and chill). If I was doing it, I would buy the tart pastry.

Butter Tarts

Pastry for 2 pies
1 cup raisins
3 eggs
1 cup corn syrup
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
pinch salt

Sprinkle raisins over pastry. Combine eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and salt.
Pour over raisins. Bake in 375F over for 20 - 25 min. Cool 5 min. Remove from pan

If this was the recipe she used regularly, they are delicious

#345905 - Thu Jun 07 2007 08:11 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: toadette]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Do you think she meant 2" and 5" circles? 5" could be the bottom and sides (inside a muffin pan) and the 2" could be the top.

#345906 - Thu Jun 07 2007 10:51 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: lady1]
toadette Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Port Dover Ontario Canada
could be, but I don't remember her putting a top on the tarts. With 5 kids, she probably would have kept the extra pastry to make more tarts.

For those who have never had butter tarts, they taste a lot better than Vegemite

#345907 - Mon Sep 24 2007 02:01 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: toadette]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Vendome's chocolate mayonnaise cake

A chocolate mayonnaise cake, made with mayonnaise in place of eggs and oil.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

PREPARATION:
Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda and salt. Cream together the sugar, mayonnaise, water and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; stir until well blended. Pour batter into greased and floured layer cake pans (or a 9- x 13-inch pan).

#345908 - Tue Sep 25 2007 12:45 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: sue943]
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Sorry Sue:

I wanted to show the mayonnaise munchers that there really was such a thing as Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.

I'm totally unfamiliar with this kind of stuff; I've never used anything like salt, pepper, mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup-I have nothing against them, I just never bothered to use them.

Thanks,

Rich

#345909 - Tue Sep 25 2007 03:07 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: vendome]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

No problems, I just thought as a recipe it might be useful to some people so copied it here so that it doesn't get lost.

You never use salt and pepper?

#345910 - Tue Sep 25 2007 05:36 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: sue943]
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
If salt and pepper are on the food when served, fine. I can't remember ever using a salt or pepper shaker. Except in restaurants that use that simple-assed 'fresh papper' thing that looks like a torpedo that the guy twists for five minutes to get 3 mg of black stuff (I swear it's roach poop) on my plate. I'm easily pleased I guess. Salt's fine, no salt is OK too.

I've never bought a jar of mayonnaise; I don't eat salads. But if mayo is mixed to make pasta salad, I'll love it. Maybe is from being 'on my own' for so long, then wedded bliss with a girl who had a panic attack every time she entered the kitchen. I did all the cooking or we ate out.

Rich

Edited by vendome (Tue Sep 25 2007 05:45 AM)

#345911 - Tue Sep 25 2007 09:05 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: vendome]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

I don't quite understand her instructions for the pastry (Roll pastry into 2" 5" circles and chill).

Toadette, Do you think she meant to make 2 each of 5" rolls so that they could be crosswise cut after being chilled? Maybe this was for making individual pastries?

Edited by Jar (Tue Sep 25 2007 09:06 AM)

#345912 - Tue Sep 25 2007 11:20 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: Jar]
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Well, here's another recipe using mayonnaise. I make these often, they're incredibly easy and inexpensive. They are soft and sort of chewy, not crispy.

Quick Cookies

1 box cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup mayo
1 cup something yummy--chocolate chips, marshmallows, raisins, butterscotch chips, whatever you like

Mix it all up, drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350d for 10 minutes. (Be careful, they burn rather easily.)
Eat!
Couldn't be easier. And the flavor combinations are endless-I've made dark chocolate with white chocolate chips, spice cake with nuts, milk chocolate with peanut butter chips, that white cake mix with colors in it (can't remember what it's called) with jimmies (sprinkles). My kids especially liked those.

If the mayo makes you nervous you can just use 1/2 cup oil instead, but I think they're a bit more moist with the mayo.

#345913 - Wed Nov 14 2007 04:01 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: toadette]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Simnel Cake
This delicious cake is made for Mothering Sunday.
INGREDIENTS
1lb marzipan
6oz butter
6oz caster sugar
3 eggs
8oz sultanas
6oz currants
2 tbsp icing sugar
2oz cut mixed peel
2oz glace cherries, halved
Grated rind of 1 lemon
8oz self raising flour
1 level tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp milk

METHOD
1. Line an 18 cm (7 inch) cake tin with greaseproof paper. Roll out half the marzipan to the size of the tin. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs to this mixture a little at a time. Stir in the dried fruit, peel, cherries and lemon rind.

2. Fold in the flour and spice alternately with the milk. Place half the mixture in the cake tin and smooth top, cover with a circle of marzipan and spread remaining mixture on top.

3. Bake in the centre of oven at 170C (325F/Gas 3) for 2 hours. Reduce to 150C (300F/Gas 2) for a further 20 minutes. Test by pressing top, if cooked it should spring back and have begun to shrink from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool in the tin, turn out, remove paper and store in an airtight container.

4. To decorate, form remaining marzipan into a roll to fit around top edge of cake. Stick in place with a little honey or syrup. Using the prongs of a fork, flatten marzipan against cake.

5. Mix icing sugar with a little water to make a thick glace icing. Spread in centre of cake and leave to set before arranging edible sugar frosted flowers for decoration.

#345914 - Wed Nov 14 2007 04:23 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: ren33]
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
Vendome! Roach poop? I had to laugh, as I've always thought how much the pepper looked like ground bugs! I could imagine them whole, inside, and then when the 'waiter' turns the top...No pepper, thanks!

#345915 - Sat Aug 08 2009 06:09 PM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: veronikkamarrz]
MomOf2 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
Pumpkin Cheesecake
(for MadMags and Roofoo, but the rest of you can try it too if you like )

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
24 ounces cream cheese (low fat or neufchatel works fine, but DO NOT use fat free-- it is vile)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
whipped cream

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Make the crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter and 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium bowl. Stir well enough to coat all of the crumbs with the butter, but not so much as to turn the mixture into paste. Keep it crumbly. Press the crumbs onto the bottom and about two-thirds of the way up the sides of a springform pan. You don't want the crust to form all of the way up the back of each slice of cheesecake. Bake the crust for 5 minutes, then set it aside until you are ready to fill it.

3. In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice and continue to beat until smooth and creamy. Pour the filling into the pan.

4. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes. The top will turn a bit darker at this point. Remove from the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool.

5. When the cheesecake has come to room temperature, put it into the refrigerator.

6. When the cheesecake has chilled, remove the pan sides and cut the cake into 8 equal pieces. (Try using dental floss to make a clean cut.)

7. Serve with a generous portion of whipped cream on top.

#607249 - Mon Mar 21 2011 07:45 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: MomOf2]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Apricot Loaf

1 cup diced dried apricots
1/2 cup sultanas
1 cup boiling water
1 cup brown or raw sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg
2 cups SR Flour (I use whole meal)

Pour boiling water over fruit.
Add butter and sugar and beat well.
Add egg and flour and beat well.
Pour into greased loaf pan and bake 45 minutes at 200º c.
Serve buttered when cool.

This is something of a favourite in our house.. yummy and reasonably healthy.
A cup equals around 250 grams, but I use an actual large tea cup.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#665742 - Sat Nov 05 2011 08:26 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: tezza1551]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I found a recipe for the cranberry bars that Starbucks carries during the winter season. This recipe makes a 9x13 pan and even with the cost of baking chocolate, seems less expensive than buying them at the coffee shop.

3/4 cup butter, cubed
1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
3/4 teaspoon Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries
6 ounces white baking chocolate, coarsely chopped

FROSTING:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange peel, optional
6 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
Directions
In a microwave, melt butter; stir in brown sugar. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in cranberries and chopped chocolate (batter will be thick).
Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and orange peel if desired until blended. Gradually add half of the melted white chocolate; beat until blended. Frost brownies. Sprinkle with cranberries. Drizzle with remaining melted white chocolate. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.

#665743 - Sat Nov 05 2011 08:27 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: rayven80]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I'm looking for a good frosted sugar cookie recipe that makes less than 30 dozen. Does anyone have one?

#1026972 - Sat Dec 21 2013 05:59 AM Re: Recipe Exchange - Cakes, pastries, cookies/biscuits [Re: sue943]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Since we are in the midst of the Holidays, I thought we could share some of our favorite recipes. I see friends posting and 'pinning' on Facebook - how about we share some of those yummies here as well?

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong