Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#346794 - Thu Feb 15 2007 08:10 PM Vertical Blinds
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Does anyone know an easy way of cleaning vertical blinds, preferably in-situ?

They are made of a rather heavy fabric, and have not been cleaned for many years. They are also a bit fragile, and look like they may tear if treated too roughly.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#346795 - Fri Feb 16 2007 05:34 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: ozzz2002]
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    

Edited by JuniorTheJaws (Fri Feb 16 2007 05:36 AM)

#346796 - Fri Feb 16 2007 07:49 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: JuniorTheJaws]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
this is exactly why I replaced all of my blinds with curtains!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#346797 - Fri Feb 16 2007 12:41 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: skunkee]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Clean them? Am I supposed to clean them?

#346798 - Sat Feb 17 2007 08:56 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
I agree skunkee. We had blinds installed throughout our house when we moved in. Not many left and they look awful and are falling apart. Will NEVER put blinds in again!

#346799 - Sat Feb 17 2007 09:55 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: lady1]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
I agree with Sue, apart from removing the odd spider's web, and running a feather duster between the segments about once a year, why bother?
Ours look fine, and that's the only cleaning they get!

#346800 - Sat Feb 17 2007 10:39 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: picqero]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Will NEVER put blinds in again!

I couldn't agree more. I made that discovery years ago. Unfortunately both houses that we have bought over the years came equipped with blinds in every window, so I've had to do this replacement thing a few times! Thank goodness for IKEA!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#346801 - Sun Feb 18 2007 03:59 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: skunkee]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
One of our biggest problems is that since it is so hot here in South Africa, the plastic hooks that hold the blinds up, get brittle and break. To replace them you have to remove the top rail, all the other hooks and then replace the broken ones. It is very difficult to do and needs to be done by a professional.

#346802 - Sun Feb 18 2007 06:12 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: lady1]
ozzz2002 Offline

Thanks, Agnes, and I agree with the other posters- these things are a right royal pain in the nether region.

Unfortunately, I am renting this place and the landlord is rather tight with the money.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#346803 - Sun Feb 18 2007 08:59 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: ozzz2002]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Here in Canada (or I guess I shoud say here in Ontario) most rental places come without any window dressings at all. In fact the only ones I've ever heard about that do come with window dressings are apartments that are rented completely furnished.

#346804 - Mon Feb 19 2007 05:40 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: skunkee]
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Quote:

Thank goodness for IKEA!

IKEA!!

Just as a matter of interest..... I work with one of the 2 guys that started Apollo Blinds here in Sydney,most people living in Sydney would have heard of the company, he and his father started the company and then sold it when it was at its peak. I asked Steven just the other week how many verticals does he think he has sold during his career as a blind salesman and is he still selling many verticals as I thought they are pretty much passe here. He told me he had sold thousands of the verticals then went on to say that sadly the quality of most verticals sold these days is very poor compared to those 10 years ago. He blamed the consumer for the drop in quality as people had wanted to pay less and less and so to meet that demand the manufacturers had been forced to use materials of less quality. He stated that he is currently selling far fewer verticals than ever before.

Personally I hate the things and can`t wait till I get timber venetians to cover the 6 metre or so window area at the front of our house.

#346805 - Mon Feb 19 2007 06:39 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: damnsuicidalroos]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
We've got them at work, and no matter how much we try, the kids will fuss with them, and they get tangled (and covered in little fingerprints) hate them hate them hate them.

But then, I remember my mother's old Venetian Blinds, and they were worse - a system of ropes and pulleys to rival a three masted schooner!

#346806 - Mon Feb 19 2007 08:10 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: agony]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Sheeesh - what problems you poor guys have. I've just been cleaning the all-round windows of our conservatory, and thought I might as well clean the blinds as well. the blinds have been up about 5 years, never had any maintenance, never been taken down, and all they took to clean was a light up & down brush with a feather duster. They look and work as good as the day they were put up - wonderful things!

#346807 - Mon Feb 19 2007 01:43 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: picqero]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
We've moved into a house built in the seventies and owned by several people. The last person did nothing to renovate or really deep clean it much. WE've done an enormous amount of nitty gritty cleaning of things that I've had in rentals and in fact, had to replace the entire heating and ac system to the cost of 8000 just because no one had done it up til now for cost's sake.

So, the blinds we got were this coffin like arrangement of an enormous hideous box shaped thing with those flapping vertical blinds. They were neither clean nor even practical, and I finally let my husband tear them down and we got them all hauled away. We painted over those enormous holes in the wall where that thing was installed.
If we were renting, we could not have done that.

There was one in the kitchen, and I refused to let him tear it down until a week ago when painting.
I doubt if we'll put it back up.
They were made of plastic material not fabric.

I think there is a device with things to dust slatted blinds.

That's your only hope.

#346808 - Fri Mar 09 2007 05:13 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: Bruyere]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
All of my apartments have come with blinds... Right now, we have vertical blinds for the door to the balcony. My cat LOVES to bang into them, run behind them, run through them, etc. Of course, that means there's always ONE blind that is turned wrong so we can't open them properly unless you fix it first. Very annoying!

Cat also broke some of the edges of the horizontal blinds in what's now our master bedroom... at the time my husband had it as his own room (we weren't married yet) and the cat wanted to look outside, but the blinds were down. So, the cat decided to push on the edge of the blinds (next to the rope part you use to raise/lower the blinds) to look outside. Well, the blinds are older and brittle, so the cat broke the edges off of 4 of the slats. Of course, my husband was in the room at the time, heard the cat making the noise and didn't look! When I found out what had happened (days later), he just said "I wondered what he was up to!"

The blinds are now up high enough so the cat can see. But our latest lease renewal said that people with coloured drapes need to have them lowered to give the appearance of white/beige outside at all times. When I read that, I told the lady they had a choice between ruined blinds or a perfect appearance!

Editor for Television Category

#346809 - Thu May 27 2010 11:33 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: ladymacb29]
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
There is a web site that I have found useful, "How to do just about anything." (Or everything)

I learned that white wine is best for getting red wine out of carpet...!

#346810 - Thu May 27 2010 02:50 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: veronikkamarrz]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Quote:

There is a web site that I have found useful, "How to do just about anything." (Or everything)

I learned that white wine is best for getting red wine out of carpet...!

The thread is dated 2007 - it was brought up by a spammer.

#346811 - Thu May 27 2010 03:42 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Offline

And I have since moved. I no longer have vertical blinds.

#346812 - Thu May 27 2010 04:26 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: ozzz2002]
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Nevada USA 
Good grief! I am so very sorry! Will look more carefully at dates...Glad you moved away from the blinds, oz.

#346813 - Thu May 27 2010 05:04 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: veronikkamarrz]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

It is easy done - flipping spammers!

#346814 - Sat Jun 05 2010 06:30 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: sue943]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Not a fan of curtains. Have had blinds in my house for 30 years. Mostly the horizontal kind. If you don't buy the cheap ones (i.e. make sure they're metal or wood slats), they are easily cleaned by laying them on the driveway and hosing them off. If you don't have a driveway, take them to the carwash once per year, hang them up on the pegs on the wall and wash them that way. Works great. The windows I didn't hang blinds on are either stained glass or frosted (for privacy, but still let lots of light in). The only "windows" that had verticals blinds were the patio doors. We ripped those out and put in garden doors that have blinds between the two layers of glass. Perfect solution and you NEVER have to clean them lol

#346815 - Sat Jun 05 2010 09:31 PM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: Jakeroo]
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Nevada USA 
Well...Let's see how this is handled!

#346816 - Tue Jun 08 2010 04:28 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: veronikkamarrz]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

No problem, I could go through and lock all old threads again but no harm done and it might be of interest to someone.

#673339 - Wed Dec 14 2011 05:30 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: ozzz2002]
lecram Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: sydney
SELLEY"S SUGAR SOAP..............
Just cleaned mine..get a cloth [not a sponge] and sugar soap from the supermarket.Fill a bowl or bucket with water and a cup of sugar soap{warm}. Take a blind at a time down from the top off the hook,I left the base connected...
I used a small coffee table with a towel over it and applied a damp cloth over it working away from you. Then rinse and do it a few times more,untill you reach the base.
Dry it with a seperate cloth as you go,doesn't matter if it gets wet.Turn over and do the other side.Hang back up and start a new one.I did 30. All at once... but you can get back to it when you feel like it. Hope it helps...

#673364 - Wed Dec 14 2011 09:15 AM Re: Vertical Blinds [Re: lecram]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
In the USA we call sugar soap TSP or TriSodium Phosphate. It can be found in the paint supply section of the major hardware chains. It works wonders taking tobacco stains off anything (even clothes in the washing machine). If ample collecting efforts are made to handle run-off (place the blind bottom in a small bucket), the TSP can be put into a pump sprayer and spray the mixture right onto the blinds in place and watch the dirt flow down the material. You might not even need to rinse the TSP off! Then the windows behind them can get by with normal cleaning effort.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong