Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#353384 - Sat Jul 07 2007 04:22 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
have a go at the set up this woman has! I can't begin to think how much money has gone into the storage stuff let alone the stamps to fill it I wonder if it's that clean all the time or she had a tidy up just for the photos.

stamping studio

#353385 - Sat Jul 07 2007 06:39 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Copago]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Wow! Words fail me! She must be very well off (or very poor after buying all those)!

#353386 - Sat Jul 07 2007 06:44 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: MotherGoose]
ren33 Online   content

Loc: Fanling
† Hong†Kong††††††
Looks a bit like Sue's living room...

#353387 - Sun Jul 08 2007 03:56 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
I wish mine was as tidy. Those storage things must have cost a fortune. I am assuming they must be drawers and not the sort of things I have or else she would have to remove loads to get to the bottom of the pile. I know how heavy they can be when I need something from one at the bottom.

#353388 - Sun Jul 08 2007 05:17 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South†Africa††††††††††
Do you think she could EVER use them all? WOW!

#353389 - Mon Jul 09 2007 06:53 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lady1]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

have a go at the set up this woman has! I can't begin to think how much money has gone into the storage stuff let alone the stamps to fill it I wonder if it's that clean all the time or she had a tidy up just for the photos.

I showed the link to Maynooth and he had two comments to make.

1. When I showed him the room he said "That's appalling...that space should be filled with wine bottles".

2. He also said she would have to keep it tidy all the same because if she didn't, she'd never be able to find any given stamp again.

#353390 - Tue Jul 10 2007 03:53 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: MotherGoose]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I do actually have a huge room (almost 90 sq mtrs - 956.5 sq ft) which I could use for my cardmaking but don't as it isn't possible to hear the door bell nor to have a television or wireless internet connection in the room as it is a former German bunker from WWII; it is bombproof and unfortunately 'signal' proof too. Maynooth would LOVE this room, it is dry and has a steady temperature the whole year round, perfect as a wine cellar.

Reading her blurb again, I think she probably gets the stamps for free as she said about being a demonstrator - "I am a hobby demo with Stampin' Up!" I am envious.

Edited by sue943 (Tue Jul 10 2007 03:58 AM)

#353391 - Tue Jul 10 2007 04:57 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Maynooth would LOVE this room, it is dry and has a steady temperature the whole year round, perfect as a wine cellar.

Maynooth said "Tell her if you ever dump me, I'm going after her!"

#353392 - Tue Jul 10 2007 05:03 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: MotherGoose]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I just went searching through my all my stuff (not an easy task) to look for the catalogue my sister-in-law (Maynooth's sister) in Kansas sent me. She is a demonstrator for a stamping company. Finally found it and it turns out to be a Stampin' Up catalogue.

I have to say that I didn't see anything in the catalogue that I couldn't live without. She sent me some of their stamps and I haven't had a use for them yet so I don't know what they are like quality-wise. I did appreciate her thoughtfulness in sending them, however.

#353393 - Tue Jul 10 2007 05:10 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: MotherGoose]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

In the past year I have shown a couple of tradesmen my bunker, a builder and the man who owns the company who 'did my garden' for me. Both said if I ever want to sell the house they would like to be notified. Most men go overboard about it, they see all sorts of possibilities. My children used it when they lived at home, my daughter spent hours down there as I have a large L-shaped desk. There are units and shelves and some small tables (for jigsaws), in fact really ideal for crafting.

I have told my daughter to make a feature of the bunker if and when the house needs to be sold, it could add considerably to the selling price. It has lighting and several electrical points plus a telephone socket and is carpeted.

#353394 - Tue Jul 10 2007 10:04 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
That's a pretty substanssl stamp collection! Me and Mum aren't stampers - it just has never appealed to us. We like to "recycle" old cards etc. We have a "craft room" now devoted to craft stuff. We usually start getting the "Christmas bug" in about August, Septeber

#353395 - Sat Jul 14 2007 04:36 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: JaneMarple]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Card making for me was a natural offshoot of scrapbooking. I made my first card at about 4 o'clock Christmas morning when I realised I hadn't bought one for my brother-in-law! Came out not too badly, either.

Right now I'm working with card kits, usually inserting an appropriate photo for whatever the occasion is. Still making them one at a time (and usually at the last moment) so far.

#353396 - Sun Jul 15 2007 09:11 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: spanishliz]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I started with a card kit and have progressed to non-kits.

I must admit I prefer to make larger cards. The main problem with many of the handmade cards is that they are heavy so cost quite a lot to post to overseas destinations.

I have just bought a couple of new CDs from ebay, one is my beloved iris folding, I really love doing that, another is pyramid cards and I am really looking forward to trying that. For those of you who do not know what I mean, it is like decoupage except instead of bits of the image being built up you have a pile of identical pictures with each being trimmed smaller than the one below. The CD will have the images ready to cut out so you don't need to print lots of identical images yourself and trim them down. They are still going to be heavy though.

#353397 - Fri Jul 20 2007 02:31 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Yesterday I received a couple of navy blue card blanks I had ordered which have a fan shape cut from the front for iris folding. They didn't come with a pattern so I experimented, the white was a piece of blank card and I used the navy one as a template.

On the white one I used a fairly standard triangular pattern, on the other as you will see, I tried the fan direction. On the white one I think the iris would need changing perhaps to green holographic card. I think I prefer the one on dark blue best EXCEPT that the thickness at the point of the fan.

Your opinions please for the other card blank and any that I might make in future.

Fan cards in progress

Edited by sue943 (Fri Jul 20 2007 02:47 AM)

#353398 - Fri Jul 20 2007 02:35 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
ren33 Online   content

† Hong†Kong††††††
Sorry Sue I cant open that

#353399 - Fri Jul 20 2007 02:44 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

How strange, it is in Photobucket and opens fine for me. Thanks, I will go and look.

Edited to say I have moved it to another album to see if that works for you. it works fine for me.

Edited by sue943 (Fri Jul 20 2007 02:50 AM)

#353400 - Fri Jul 20 2007 03:34 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
ren33 Online   content

† Hong†Kong††††††
It is fine now
It just appeared as a string and not a clickable link before. They are both nice.

#353401 - Fri Jul 20 2007 03:48 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Oooer, the postman just arrived and brought me a couple of new CDs from ebay, one is of iris folding patterns, the other is a new one for me, pyramid toppers. Pyamid toppers are like decoupage except instead of cutting out certain parts the whole image is just cropped a little on each layer so it forms a pyramid. I can't wait to try it, and some of the iris folding patterns.

#353402 - Tue Jul 24 2007 06:45 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I just went to the craft shop to buy some clear embossing powder and ended up with buying all manner of bits, again.

Looking at the adhesives I realised they do wide double sided tape as well as 6mm and 1cm. It was expensive but I decided to buy some so now have some 25mm and some 50mm.

What sort of adhesives do you use?

#353403 - Tue Jul 24 2007 03:27 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Usually I use double sided tape, Francheville brand. It's quite strong and will even hold down bulkier things like chipboard. If I need something stronger I'll use dimensional magic - it's mostly used for giving a glossy look to things but is as strong as steel when used for glue!

Edited by Copago (Tue Jul 24 2007 03:30 PM)

#353404 - Tue Jul 24 2007 06:52 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I have all manner of adhesives but mostly use double-sided tape. Today I made a iris folding 'topper' and just used two strips of the 50mm tape instead of rows and rows of 1cm tape, marvellous.

#353405 - Tue Jul 24 2007 11:28 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I used the doublesided tape - I have 6 mm and 8 mm. I usually use 6 mm but one of my friends buys her craft supplies wholesale and she bought a box of 8 mm rolls and is selling them to her friends at her cost - $1!

#353406 - Wed Jul 25 2007 02:19 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: MotherGoose]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Wow that is cheap. I have tried several brands and so far prefer Sellotape even though it is probably more expensive than some. I did buy a pack of assorted rolls without a brand name which appeared to be a bargain but found it very difficult to peel off the top layer so won't be buying from that company again.

When I was watching Create and Craft the other day I saw a CD for sale which was for creating kaleidoscopes from jpg images, it looked interesting but was £19.99 plus hefty postage and packing - they charge me £10 as I am not in the UK per se. True I would have got a £2 discount for being a member but it was still a lot of money. I then looked on ebay and found the identical CD, sealed, for £19.99 including P&P. It is on its way.

#353407 - Wed Jul 25 2007 08:35 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I have just printed out some more iris folding patterns including one for the 'Sorting Hat'.

#353408 - Sun Aug 05 2007 01:17 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Die cutting machines - I know you have one Jillian, does anyone else?

I am thinking of buying the sort you attach to a computer, and in particular the Graphtec CraftROBO. Today there was a demonstration on C&C so I went to the internet to find someone with a better price and found one. I emailed to ask if they remove VAT for Jersey and they do so that is a good sign. They said I can order by 'phone and pay by credit card or can use PayPal - whichever I preferred.

As I am 'heavily' into iris folding I thought life would be easier if I could cut the images out by machine instead of using a craft knife.

Anyone have any experience of this type of die cutter, that is the 'printer' style ones?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong