Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#353434 - Sat Sep 01 2007 03:47 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Love the card Sue. Good luck in the competition. Let us know what you win.

#353435 - Sat Sep 01 2007 10:44 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lady1]
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
I love the iris folding technique! I had seen it before but never really investigated it. Now I'm in love, and I had to go make a template of my own designed to use some sample hand-made Japanese papers I got my hands on a while back. I'll post what I came up with when I get all the kinks worked out.

Thanks so much for the inspiration to really take a good look at this technique! Your cards are so lovely.

#353436 - Sat Sep 01 2007 11:08 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lothruin]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I think it might well be my favourite technique although I love messing with all manner of styles. Oriental themes are also a great favourite of mine.

Visit http://www.circleofcrafters.com/ if you haven't already, they give free patterns, some you don't need to register but if you register you have access to many more for free.

#353437 - Sun Sep 02 2007 11:19 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks for the link! I didn't see quite what I wanted, so I went ahead and made my own. Here's my first try. Unfortunately the colors didn't scan quite right. The blue is richer and has more depth in real life, and the oranges and yellows are not actually as stark as they appear in the scan.

I made the template for the koi before I had actually used the technique, so I had to do a bit of tweeking when I actually sat down to lay the paper down. The whole thing is framed in heavy black card stock overlaid with a hand-painted coffee filter for the color. The papers I used for the koi are strips from a sample book of hand-made Japanese papers I found some time ago. The whole piece is too big for a card, about eight inches, so I'm thinking about making prints of it for cards instead. I've also got template ideas and color schemes lined up for a sakura piece and a kimono.

Edited by Lothruin (Sun Sep 02 2007 03:10 PM)

#353438 - Sun Sep 02 2007 12:13 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lothruin]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Wow, I am really impressed.

Did you go into the forums? They have links to masses of patterns made by the members. You have to register, but it is free and there are no adverts. Actually I don't know how they finance the site, they give out at least $200 in prizes each month.

#353439 - Sun Sep 02 2007 12:23 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks!

I have registered but haven't been confirmed yet, so I haven't gotten to look at any but the free stuff.

#353440 - Sun Sep 02 2007 01:00 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lothruin]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

It is all free, most of it is on the members' PhotoBucket account.

#353441 - Wed Sep 05 2007 08:43 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Oddly, I still haven't gotten an activation email, so I can browse through the forums but can't see any pictures yet. But meanwhile, in case anyone's interested, here's the template for the koi. It's unnumbered but you start at the tail and work in.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1013/1305301147_46811b0e14_o.jpg

#353442 - Wed Sep 05 2007 11:01 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lothruin]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Something strange there, you need to try again. Mine was done in minutes. I have saved the so that I can try it out sometime. Thank you.

#353443 - Thu Sep 06 2007 02:28 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
JaneMarple Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Me and Mum have started making our Christmas Cards over the last few weeks. I promise that I will post pictures eventually. We've done a few Decoupage cards this year.

#353444 - Wed Oct 10 2007 07:23 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: JaneMarple]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I really ought to go to bed, it is 2:20 am. Earlier this evening I saw a pattern and just had to make it. I can't decide whether to add something in a couple of corners - opinions? Behind the blue card is a border of bright silver, the snowflakes and text is in white.

Santa in Trouble

#353445 - Wed Oct 10 2007 08:45 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
I think it's very cute just the way it is! I don't like things too cluttered-looking.
If I were to add anything else, I might add a couple more snowflakes that look like they'd dropped off the blue section onto the card, or something to that effect.

I like it, I'd buy it.

Edited by Taesma (Wed Oct 10 2007 08:46 PM)

#353446 - Thu Oct 11 2007 02:14 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Taesma]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Taesma I have just put your name on it for Christmas, and some more snowflakes, and all I need from you is a PM with your postal address. Not to buy, just to receive it for Christmas.

If you are concerned about giving me your personal details you can ask for references here, I keep the information to myself and am not a predator; plenty of people here have given me their details and have had no problems.

#353447 - Thu Oct 11 2007 03:19 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Is this what you meant Taesma? I think it looks better.

#353448 - Thu Oct 11 2007 04:08 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
JaneMarple Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Excellent job, Sue!! I can promise I will start posting my Christmas cards on Funtrivia soon

#353449 - Thu Oct 11 2007 02:40 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Quote:

Is this what you meant Taesma? I think it looks better.

Oh yes, perfect! You certainly do a beautiful job! And thanks for being so kind as to send it to me, that's very thoughtful.
I think I've been around here long enough to send you personal details, I think if you were going to stalk me you would have done it already.
Besides, we all know where to find you if you get out of line.

#353450 - Fri Oct 12 2007 02:02 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Taesma]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Sue, can you email it to me, I can't see it! Wanna see. Wanna SEE!

You'll have no worries, Taesma, she's had my details for over five years now

#353451 - Fri Oct 12 2007 04:13 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

If I didn't have you details you wouldn't get your occasional fix of white Toblerone! Emailing it now...

#353452 - Sat Oct 20 2007 05:57 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Sue:

WOW! What a pleasant surprise when I went to the mail box and saw your card.

Then I opened it and was impressed with both the content and quality of the card. Beautiful, simple, elegant. The paper is substantial and gives the card a texture that contrasts with the ocean scene on the front. This was nice because I have an oil painting that is almost identical in my bedroom.

This is more than a card: it's a gift for which I thank you very much.

If I could make a suggestion: if I bought this card, I would have no idea how much it would cost to mail it. In the USA, mail is charged by weight. This card seems rather heavy; I'd have to go to the post office to mail it.

Perhaps you could attach a 'needs extra postage' reminder in the stamp area.

Thanks again, Sue.

#353453 - Sat Oct 20 2007 06:21 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: vendome]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Thank you Rich, I am glad you liked it. I was very pleased with that photograph when I took it. From that beach the very next landfall going west is the east coast of America.

That is a good idea about a weight warning, some of my cards can be quite heavy. With our local postal system the first weight stage is 100 grams to either the islands or the UK, then it jumps. With 'overseas' mail European is extra over 20 grams and long distance such as the US is after 10 grams.

I hope the birthday was a good one.

#353454 - Wed Feb 06 2008 04:21 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I was reading this thread through again and notice that it was less than a year ago that I started it - what a lot of water has passed under the bridge in that short time. What a lot of money I have spent!

Iris folding still remains a favourite, I still love the oriental themes but I also have my new passion, the parchment work. When I look at examples posted on the other site I visit then mine are mostly amateur, but as they say, practice, practice, practice.

I notice that I mentioned entering the monthly Challenges they have on that site, and of course now I have won two prizes, not for skill, just for entering. It is literally the luck of the draw and you need to be in it to win it as both Mada and I have discovered to our advantage.

Last week I was asked by a friend to make her a special card for the Dedication Service of a set of twins, it is a little like a baptism but in the Baptist Church. It was quite thrilling to be asked to make the card, especially after such a relatively short time making them.

So ladies, your tips and encouragement have given me a whole new hobby and a slimmer bank account. The floor is still heaped with craft supplies so I guess I ought to try to have another clearing session.

I suppose I ought to make a start on my Christmas cards soon especially if some of them are to be parchment as those can take hours if not days to make.

#353455 - Tue Sep 22 2009 01:21 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lothruin]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

In the Gallery thread Ren asked me to explain about parchment craft which is how I made the mask.

Years ago they did use real parchment but these days it is a special translucent paper which is used. One takes a piece of this plain paper then by using special tools you can whiten the paper by stroking it and putting a little pressure. Also you can 'prick' the paper, again with special tools then cut out areas which creates a form of paper lace which can be seen in some of the pieces I have posted in the gallery.

The cutting is done with special little scissors which have curved blades and are held in a strange manner, in your first and middle fingers with the point facing down. The points of the scissors are inserted into two holes and you snip whilst flicking your fingers to the left thus forming a tiny point and eventually a picot edge. On the mask the size of hole was 9 to 1 cm, 22 to 1 inch.

The above is all known as 'whitework' but it is possible to colour the parchment, to draw on it and either paint it or use colour pencils or other mediums. This shows a combination of using coloured pencils together with whitework.

#353456 - Tue Sep 22 2009 04:06 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Amazing! Thankyou ,dear.

#644163 - Sun Jul 31 2011 01:59 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Long time no post in here!

I have to confess that the pink pop-up card is the only thing that I ever made with the CraftRobo, it sits ingnored on my shelf.

#651472 - Sat Sep 03 2011 10:42 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Could you try and sell it on ebay, Sue?
Seems to be a lot of things us crafters buy that end up being underused. I shudder to think of how much money I've let gather dust. smirk

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong