Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#353334 - Mon Mar 19 2007 05:25 AM Craft Circle - Card making
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I know we have some experts around here so I thought I would pick brains.

Last year I decided to make my own cards as far as possible as a new hobby, some of you will have received some of my first (and it shows!) efforts at Christmas.

What I want to know is where do you get your ideas for card designs?

Edited by sue943 (Sun Jun 03 2007 07:59 AM)

#353335 - Tue Mar 20 2007 06:36 AM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
ren33 Online   content

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Well I thought they were loverly , dear, well the one you sent me was, anyway.
I know that Jane will give you some pointers, she is an expert. Then there's Mrs TW, and there must be a few more card makers here, I am sure.

#353336 - Tue Mar 20 2007 07:56 AM Re: Card making [Re: ren33]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Well with me, it is a joint effort between me and Mum. We get ideas from old birthday/christmas (or any other occasion) cards. If we like something on them, we cut round it and stick it onto our own card stock. You can buy lots of card stock these days. Peel Offs, and other Embellishments are very useful too - you can colour over the peel offs with special "felt tips".
We find it useful, too, to make some "Insert templates" in Microsoft Word, so you can print our lots of similar inserts.
There are also various websites where you can get inspiration

#353337 - Tue Mar 20 2007 10:17 AM Re: Card making [Re: JaneMarple]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Jane, what fabulous ideas, you are a marvel. I haven't thrown out my cards from this past Christmas so I will recycle them!

As for creating inserts with Word, that would never have ocurred to me. So much nicer than using a rubber stamp.

I don't know about you but I cannot throw out any handmade cards, I just have to keep them.

Now all I need to do is curb my enthusiasm or else I might end up with lots of cards and nothing to do with them.

I have to say that I just watch a couple of hours on QVC this afternoon and my poor credit card will be feeling the pinch. They had a pack of 200 sheets of A4 coloured card stock for a really good price.

#353338 - Tue Mar 20 2007 01:19 PM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
http://www.pagemaps.com/mar07cardmaps.htm or do a search for "card sketches" and there's lots of idea sites out there.
Remember you can put anything on them .. ribbon, buttons, split pins for example .. anything.

#353339 - Tue Mar 20 2007 02:17 PM Re: Card making [Re: Copago]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Mrs TW makes cards. She has learned, mostly, by watching other people make them and by viewing any TV programs on the subject. Here are some examples of cards she has made: 1 - 2.

I don't know much about that part of the operation but I get the job of making the inserts. The program I've found best for this is 'Xara Xtreme'. It's possible to get some good effects with it, especially when it comes to borders. The same border might be used with different sizes of cards. The border redraws itself to adjust to any size. For instance, if a border consists of flower petals, the petals don't expand or contract to fit the card. The number of petals either automatically increases or decreases in order to fit. This is done with the 'brush' tool. It is possible to download various brushes, or make brushes to your own design that will paint the border. The program can also produce many good text (and other) effects.

#353340 - Tue Mar 20 2007 03:01 PM Re: Card making [Re: tellywellies]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Brads (or bradlets) are also very useful. They are like split pins, or drawing pins, but you can get them in various designs. I believe Eyelets are good too, but not used them

Edited to add - and very nice cards from Mrs Telly Wellies! I promise to post a few of "our" cards eventually!

Edited by JaneMarple (Tue Mar 20 2007 03:04 PM)

#353341 - Tue Mar 20 2007 04:32 PM Re: Card making [Re: JaneMarple]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Tell Lynda that I am seriously impressed, mind you the ones you have sent to me have been lovely and I have them saved.

I have some charms which came in a kit but I haven't worked out how to use them.

#353342 - Tue Mar 20 2007 07:57 PM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I mostly just invent my own designs but I also get ideas from scrapbooking and cardmaking magazines and from some of my friends who also do cardmaking. There are lots of websites full of ideas that can be found easily using Google.

I use and recycle all sorts of things. I've used stamps that I've recycled from my mail. One of my friends sent me some dried flowers from Italy that I had no real use for, so I recycled them on some cards.

I combine other skills, like calligraphy and beading, to create my cards.

Years ago, I made a tissue box cover in black and white that resembled a man's tuxedo. It gave me the idea to create a similar card. I used black and white card, decorative scissors to cut a lacy panel for the shirt, black brads for the buttons, a punch was used to create the flower in the lapel, another scrap of white card created the handkerchief in the pocket. It was stunning when it was finished. And it was all my own idea! Then about two weeks later, I saw almost the exact same thing in a magazine, so obviously someone else had the same great idea!

I've been fortunate enough to have received a card from Copago - her cards are lovely!

#353343 - Wed Mar 21 2007 07:11 AM Re: Card making [Re: MotherGoose]
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
My fifteen year old daughter has designed and made her own cards since she was a toddler. Those simple crayon renderings with stick figures have turned into stunning, perfectly executed cards with delicate pop -up features on the inside. Some are collages overlaid with Japanese rice paper, others are airbrushed or have complicated layers of paper which form a cut out window. A card from Gen is always art within itself, and I can't help but be proud of her.

#353344 - Wed Mar 21 2007 01:34 PM Re: Card making [Re: ktstew]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
My grand-children, the two girls that is aged 7 and 10, have been making their own Christmas and Birthday cards for several years. They use a variety of items, including beads, coloured paper, photos, flower petals, etc, and colour them with crayons and felt-tip pens. These are so personal and delightful no-one could bear to throw them away!
They also use cut-outs from old cards, so instead of throwing them away, ours get re-cycled during the year!
I also trim and use Christmas cards with nice views, as notelets.

#353345 - Wed Mar 21 2007 04:13 PM Re: Card making [Re: picqero]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

Mother Goose
Years ago, I made a tissue box cover in black and white that resembled a man's tuxedo. It gave me the idea to create a similar card. I used black and white card, decorative scissors to cut a lacy panel for the shirt, black brads for the buttons, a punch was used to create the flower in the lapel, another scrap of white card created the handkerchief in the pocket. It was stunning when it was finished. And it was all my own idea! Then about two weeks later, I saw almost the exact same thing in a magazine, so obviously someone else had the same great idea!

Well funnily enough, Mother Goose, we made a very similar card for my Brother in Law last year Here. It is one of my personal favourite cards Also, Here is our current batch. There are also some great magazines on crafting around, with free kits - that is where the handbag card came from

#353346 - Wed Mar 21 2007 05:20 PM Re: Card making [Re: JaneMarple]
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
I am enjoying reading this thread and just had to post. All of you are amazing! I do not have the imagination for creating my own cards and really admire every one here that does...I am so jealous! Gosh, the talent that you all have is amazing!

-------
Agnes (JTJ)

Edited by JuniorTheJaws (Wed Mar 21 2007 05:21 PM)

#353347 - Wed Mar 21 2007 07:31 PM Re: Card making [Re: JuniorTheJaws]
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
I'm a bit like Mother Goose, design my own stuff, didn't do it last Christmas tho' (was in a bah humbug kinda mood) but my eldest son's soon to be (apparently) ex girlfriend makes beautiful cards, she is truly talented in that regard, she uses glitter and sparkles and all sorts of card and feathers and leaves and anything she can really get her hands on and does a wonderful job (must get some photo's of her stuff, it's truly unique!)

#353348 - Thu Mar 22 2007 12:43 AM Re: Card making [Re: Engadine]
Blinkybill Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia          
I'm with you JTJ, I have no imagination for crafty things either. I am very envious of all your lovely cards, hats off to the lot of you!

#353349 - Thu Mar 22 2007 02:59 AM Re: Card making [Re: Blinkybill]
ren33 Online   content

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I must tell you that I just received a gift for my birthday from our Sue. In with it was a very classy card indeed. Very nicely made!

#353350 - Thu May 24 2007 08:28 AM Re: Card making [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Bringing this one up as I notice one of our newest members lists cardmaking as a hobby! Carol?

I am decidely poorer since starting this lark, it is costing me a small fortune; it is just as well that I am enjoying myself.

Most days I have Create and Craft playing on the television. For those outside the UK, it is a 24/7 craft channel on television. Lots of the programmes are repeated through the week so if you see one you like you can tape it next time it is shown. I have videoed numerous crafting shows both from there and QVC.

There is apparently a package containing oriental papers winging its way across the world at this moment in time - I will have some fun with that.

I just tried my first card with medallion stamping, I have glitter everywhere.

#353351 - Thu May 24 2007 01:46 PM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
carolthescot Offline
Explorer

Loc: Central Scotland UK
Never tried the medallions Sue-looks a bit complicated for me-same with these 'tea bagging' things lol-I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to trying new things out I'm afraid.I'm glad you are having fun though as that's what it's all about isn't it
I've seen the 'Create and Craft' shows a few times but their stuff is pretty expensive don't you think-or is it just me that thinks that?

I tend to buy peel offs and stickers via E-Bay just because they work out cheaper.Hope you won't give up a hobby you really like Sue

#353352 - Fri May 25 2007 03:03 AM Re: Card making [Re: carolthescot]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Oh wow! I have just received my package from Hong Kong with oriental papers, I am going to have such fun with them! They are stunning. Thank you so much, you a sweetie.

#353353 - Fri May 25 2007 04:42 AM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I couldn't wait to make a card. For this one I decided to make the paper the focal point. What you cannot see is that every flower and leaf is edged with metallic gold. The basic card caught my eye the other day, it is sort of black, except that it is frosted in gold. I have raised various bits with foam pads.

My first Sara card!

#353354 - Fri Jun 01 2007 03:24 AM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I am not a very happy bunny today. The other day I ordered a teabag folding CD and the package arrived this morning. The CD case is most attractive - but empty!

I was looking forward to printing off some more tiles, I suppose I will just have to wait. Teabag folding is fun now I am getting the hang of it, as is iris folding.

#353355 - Fri Jun 01 2007 05:10 AM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Empty! LOL .. maybe you had to pay extra for the actual CD?

Have you gotten into stamping at all, Sue?

I decided I was due a treat and bought some clear acrylic stamps, only got them a couple days ago and they are brilliant on cards and scrapbooking layouts.

#353356 - Fri Jun 01 2007 05:24 AM Re: Card making [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I contacted the man and he is sending another today.

I have some stamps, not really got into them yet except the medallion stamping, now that is fun. Last year I bought a load of Christmas stamp things, a whole load, but didn't get around to using them.

#353357 - Fri Jun 01 2007 05:26 AM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Have you tried iris folding?

#353358 - Fri Jun 01 2007 05:43 AM Re: Card making [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Nope, but by coinceidence it was mentioned on a scrapbooking site I visit and this was the site i cound to see what it was about.

looks like patience is paramount???

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong