Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#353409 - Wed Aug 08 2007 09:50 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
I have been very busy. My daughter (and her husband) are arriving on Thursday of next week and to put it simply, I am scared of her! She bosses me about and tells me off, especially about my untidiness and also my spending habits (shopaholic).

The dining area of my lounge/diner has been gradually getting more and more piled high with crafting materials and equipment, she would go mad and really have a go at me. It has really got to a silly stage, I keep knocking stuff off the table when looking for something else.

This is all very silly really, my house is not small as I have eleven rooms including the huge bunker which has large desks, tables, cupboards, shelves etc. If I didn't live alone then I would use the bunker for crafting but I don't like to be down there when I am alone as if anything happened to me I could rot!

Just off my kitchen is my glory hole. Its official name is my sewing room. I have my sewing machine in its cabinet plus a six foot by three foot office style cupboard which is supposed to be for my knitting wool and fabric but ended up filled with rubbish. The whole room was a dumping ground for software boxes, old bills and all manner of other rubbish.

I have spent the last week or so gradually making some space in there, it isn't perfect yet, still more to go, but it is at a stage when I could start filling it with my cardmaking stuff.

I can't find the panel from the top of my sewing machine cabinet, I hope it might turn up at some stage but in the meantime I have found something which is perfect for crafting on, it used to be a folding desk but I threw the legs away by mistake. I have brought up a shelving unit from the bunker and have started moving my stuff in, sorting it as I go - card on one shelf, paper on another and so on.

I will be able to put my new CraftROBO on the work surface when it arrives, I can link it up to my laptop and use it in there.

It is getting quite exciting - soon I will be able to vacuum my dining area carpet!

I will take photos when it is finished - then I will sort the remainder of the junk later.

#353410 - Thu Aug 09 2007 02:56 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South†Africa††††††††††
The best thing about having house guests is it forces you to do the things that never get done. Last September my brother, his wife and family came to stay for a weekend. We managed to paint 3 bedrooms and the passage in time for their visit. Since then NOTHING!
Keep going Sue, your daughter will be impressed.

#353411 - Thu Aug 09 2007 02:52 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lady1]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Ohhhhhh, you got a craftrobo!! And now I've seen the pics in the photo a day thread - nice cleaning up! Feel free to pop in and do the same here!
I did mean to reply here before and forgot

Have you got it yet? Is it brilliant? Mine is just an manual one and doesn't have half the scope of the robo. Without asking too much but was it expensive? They retail here for $700+ .. about the same or less?

#353412 - Fri Aug 10 2007 01:54 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Good grief no. It hasn't arrived yet but it is the latest model and was about $453 Australian which includes $24 postage - if I lived in the UK it would have been free shipping.

I am just hoping I can cut apertures in card so I can do my iris folding, it will be much easier with neatly cut shapes.

What I also have on order is a Xyron Design Runner Handheld Digital Printer with 2 Design Discs, that is $150 including shipping. That looks like fun.

#353413 - Fri Aug 10 2007 03:17 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

And I have no idea WHAT you are talking about. LOL Enjoy your new toys Sue.

#353414 - Fri Aug 10 2007 03:39 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lady1]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

A Craft ROBO is a machine which looks like a printer, you attach it to a computer. Then instead of printing on paper it cuts out shapes. If you want a card with a hole cut in the front this machine can do it for you. For instance, I cut this fan shape out by hand but hopefully this machine will cut them for me in future. Iris folding is the technique I have used for making the fan, it involves cutting strips of paper or ribbon and sticking them down.

The tidying goes on, I have now got my needlepoint on the top shelf and above the table I have my craft magazines, books, CDs etc.

The Xyron is a hand held printer which is used to print messages and patterns on paper, for instance the greeting inside a card.

#353415 - Sat Aug 11 2007 08:00 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Oh that sounds realy interesting. When I lived in the USA I bought cards with the holes ready cut in them. Used them for cross-stitch cards. How nice to be able to make your own.
Iris folding does look lovely and so does your top shelf. Keep it up.

#353416 - Wed Aug 29 2007 06:40 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lady1]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Anyone who read the pound shop bargains thread in Funtrivia Lounge will have seen that I have bought masses of holographic card at a rock bottom price, 25 sheets of A4 for £1 which is $2.5 AUS, $2 US, $2.14 CAN or 1.48 euros.

I went in again today and bought the remainder of the stock, five more packs, and the woman serving remembered me from yesterday when I bought 20 packs. She said she would be interested in seeing some of my cards nearer Christmas as she might want to buy some.

The holographic card is in red, green, blue and gold so very Christmassy except for the gold which has hearts but even that can be used for matting.

I have now ordered lots of card blanks with envelopes from ebay so I can start mass producing.

These are some I made today.

Card 1

Card 2

Card 3

#353417 - Thu Aug 30 2007 01:12 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
They are really nice indeed! I hope you do well, mass producing!
Me and Mum are late starting our Christmas Cards this year - usually start in the beginning of August - but we started last week. Pictures of the cards we have made, eventually. Hologram card is really good

#353418 - Thu Aug 30 2007 01:42 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: JaneMarple]
Copago Offline

They're great - love the second one.

How's the Robo going?

#353419 - Thu Aug 30 2007 01:52 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Copago]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

I love the third one Sue. Can I PM you my adress?

#353420 - Thu Aug 30 2007 02:09 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lady1]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Quote:

Can I PM you my adress?

Sure, please do. I have quite a few addresses of FT members already but anyone else who wants a card at Christmas can give me their address.

#353421 - Thu Aug 30 2007 02:12 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Robo - ah, need to set it up. I was distracted by having to prepare for the daughter's arrival. Now she has gone I will try to work it out. Yesterday I used a craft knife to cut out the apertures - silly me.

#353422 - Thu Aug 30 2007 09:31 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Right Jillian. I managed to get the ROBO to cut something. Now I need to decide what to use a 18cm by 8cm pink pop-up card for! I just used a template in there and the first piece of card that came to hand.

Now I need to work out how to cut something I actually want.

#353423 - Thu Aug 30 2007 10:13 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Sue, the cards are darling! I especially love the trees. Is a ROBO like a Skizzix? Like, a small personal die-cutter? I so wish I had a skizzix!

Nevermind, I just looked it up. Is it computer operated, sort of? That looks like it would rock!

#353424 - Thu Aug 30 2007 03:49 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lothruin]
Copago Offline

It does look like it rocks! It will cut out anything that is on your computer. There is another one out there, the Cricut, that does a similar thing but it only cuts from a cartridge NOT the computer. The Robo seems to be the one with the best reviews. And I am dead jealous!

I have a sizzix which I love - I got it before the computer cutting machines came out but wouldn't swap it now, not with the amount of dies that I have, but if I were just starting out then I'd go with one of the computer ones. The one advantage of the sizzix though is that it will cut chipboard/cardboard where the robo won't.

Loth, on the sizzix.com website they often have fantastic clearance sales only available to the USA *sob!* would be a good place to get started. With the emergance of the computer cutters the sizzix prices have gone down a fair bit.

#353425 - Thu Aug 30 2007 03:57 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I couldn't let the pink pop-up go to waste so here is the result.

#353426 - Thu Aug 30 2007 03:58 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Copago]
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Yeah, I can't even buy it at clearance prices. Then I wouldn't be able to afford my yarn habit. Gotta prioritize. But the computer ones look like I could really get into them. My mother in law got a sizzix, 7 complete alphabets and dozens and dozens of other cartridges for $150 at a garage sale. It was crazy.

Edited by Lothruin (Wed Sep 05 2007 08:33 AM)

#353427 - Fri Aug 31 2007 12:52 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lothruin]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Oh Sue your pink card is darling. You can keep it until you have a grand daughter and give it to her.
Now you need to make a blue one. LOL

#353428 - Fri Aug 31 2007 05:53 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lady1]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I have just found a very useful tip on a crafting website I visit from time to time, this is in regards to recycling Christmas cards.

It is fairly easy to recycle some by cutting out the main image but this tip is how to use cards without cutting out bits. Use it as a background paper then stick your embellishment on the front. The examples they showed have the Christmas trees which I have used in my cards but instead of being cut into new card they are cut into a recycled card.

#353429 - Fri Aug 31 2007 06:53 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

My mom and her church group used to use old cards, recycle them by sticking cut outs from other cards over the writing, and sell them to raise funds. I always thought they looked like they had been recycled (sometimes not very well) so would be interested to see how they have done them on the website. Could you post a link please Sue?

I think your Iris folding ones are so much nicer.

#353430 - Fri Aug 31 2007 07:03 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: lady1]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Certainly, it is the Circle of Crafters website and the link to the thread is:-

http://www.circleofcrafters.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=34392

The examples shown are using the same tree pattern as I used but I am sure you could stick some other topper instead, especially with some matting.

Edited by sue943 (Fri Aug 31 2007 07:03 AM)

#353431 - Fri Aug 31 2007 09:13 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

The Circle of Crafters website has a monthly challenge, an entry is picked at random and the card maker receives a prize of craft goodies. I have not entered one yet but think I will for September. The challenge for September is to make two cards, one must be an iris folding card and the cut-out waste from that card must be used on another card, or perhaps inside the card.

I took the waste from the stocking card, card #2 and have made this card.

Card 4

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It hasn't scanned too well but the back rectangle is silver, the stripe on the top of the stocking is gold on red.

Edited by sue943 (Fri Aug 31 2007 04:38 PM)

#353432 - Fri Aug 31 2007 10:48 PM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Sue, did you know that World Card Making Day is on 6th October? www.worldcardmakingday.com

#353433 - Sat Sep 01 2007 02:49 AM Re: Craft Circle - Card making [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I do nows! Another site bookmarked. I registered on a scrapbooking site yesterday which actually has a robo forum so I can pick their brains.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong