Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#366265 - Fri Jun 08 2007 04:08 AM A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Just been watching the football and it looks like it's lashing down there! Hardly any crowd which is to be expected, stuffed if i'd be going out in it!

And news reports of ships floundering, roads washed away and all that storm stuff.

Everyone alright??

#366266 - Fri Jun 08 2007 04:34 AM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: Copago]
channe Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Totally Yuk! weather. Cold, wet, windy.
We can only hope that the farmers are getting some rain too.
Channe

#366267 - Fri Jun 08 2007 04:57 AM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: channe]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I would imagine that lots of people are out there with a bucket and sponge using the rain to wash their cars if you still have drought problems.

#366268 - Fri Jun 08 2007 05:16 AM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

I am at work, and feel like a cross between Mary Poppins and a polar bear! It is rather cool (about 11C), blowing a gale, and pelting down rain, and I am walking round in the middle of it all- there has to be an easier way to earn a quid.

There have been a few incidents- a tanker broke moorings and washed up onto a beach in Newcastle- they had to airlift the crew off by helicopter. (Come to think of it, my job does not sound so bad now- I could have been a chopper pilot! )

Also a lot of flash flooding, from too much water in one hit- we have had over 100 mls (about 4 inches) in the last 12 hours or so, and no sign of it letting up.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#366269 - Fri Jun 08 2007 05:20 AM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: ozzz2002]
Copago Offline

I'd prefer to be the chopper pilot than one of the crew!

Said on the news there was 22 people on board. I think it's amazing it only needs that many people to run those huge ships. I reckon they'd all walked around all day and still not run into one of the others.

#366270 - Fri Jun 08 2007 05:28 AM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: Copago]

I have been up to Newcastle quite a bit lately, and they have lots of tankers waiting just off the coast to load up with coal. Last time I was there, I counted over 70 of them!

#366271 - Fri Jun 08 2007 06:00 AM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: ozzz2002]
L_A_Best Offline
Explorer

Loc: Cape Town South Africa  
All Sydneysiders have my sympathies. It's cold wet and windy here in Cape Town, South Africa. The joy of having a laptop means I can sit tucked up in bed all nice and warm. I'm not planning to go outside unless I absolutely have to.

#366272 - Fri Jun 08 2007 08:59 PM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: L_A_Best]
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Well my Mum and Dad are in Sydney so's rang 'em last night whilst watching the Footy [brave supporters at that match, I commend them ] and they were 'battening down the hatches' for today [they live on the southside of Sydney]. But the rain is a godsend . . . the rain we had this week here in Queensland has staved off Level 6 water restrictions at this point in time, it's the most rain we've had in one go in two years odds?!?!

#366273 - Fri Jun 08 2007 09:37 PM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: Engadine]
ozfei Offline
Prolific

Loc: Redcliffe Queensland Australia
My son has had no electricity since 2am Thursday.
He can't go outside because of the trees coming down in the wind and the pouring rain.
Apart from that he was doing alright.
I can't even find out anywhere on the net or radio how his area is going although they did say Newcastle has been declared a disaster area. He is about one hour from there on the coast.

#366274 - Fri Jun 08 2007 10:45 PM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: ozfei]
channe Offline
Explorer

It's now about 3 p.m. on Saturday afternoon here in Sydney, & the weather
has deteriorated. The SES are stretched to the limit. Roads are flooded, trees are down all over, blocking roads & wrecking fences & houses. Five people have been killed so far, & the word is that it's going to get worse!
Channe.

#366275 - Fri Jun 08 2007 11:24 PM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: channe]
Copago Offline

Hooley dooley. I thought they were saying the worst of it was over. What a mess.

#366276 - Sun Jun 10 2007 08:35 PM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: Copago]
HayPo Offline
Enthusiast

I am currently on an Island in the Whitsundays on a business trip but my partner has been keeping me up to date with what's going on.

Apparently Cremorne Wharf has been washed away and there were 17m swells in Newcastle on the weekend.....17 METRES. What the?? I don't think I can even imagine a wave that big!

All our pot plants and meticulously created balcony world have been blown and washed away....sob sob.... I'm going to miss my plants.

Just spoke to home and it is nice and sunny today so hopefully things are looking up.

My heartfelt condolences go out to the family of the 9 known deaths from this storm.

#366277 - Sun Jun 10 2007 10:25 PM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: HayPo]

Things have settled down (for the moment)- it is a glorious sunny day here today, but more rain is forecast ovcer the next week, though not as tempestuous as the last few days.

Some areas of Newcastle and Central Coast (just north of Sydney) have had over 250mm of rain; that is about 10 inches, for the metrically challenged.

Authorities have no idea what they are going to do with the stranded tanker, and they may have to actually strip it down and leave it there as a tourist attraction!

Latest toll is nine dead, thousands of buildings and cars damaged, a large flood to the west of Newcastle that required 2000 houses to be evacuated in a matter of hours, and loss of power/water/gas, etc over a very wide region. It has been called the worst natural disaster since the Ash Wednesday fires of 30 years ago.

#837157 - Tue Nov 06 2012 09:08 PM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: ozzz2002]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
When it rains, it pours...

Or, as I say, if it isn't a drought, it's a flood.

#957386 - Tue Dec 25 2012 03:32 PM Re: A Bit Wet, Sydneysiders? [Re: Jazmee27]
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
When it rains, it pours...

Thats's the long-time slogan of Morton Salt! (Or did you already know that?)

It was a take on the old saw "It never rains but it pours".

tjoeb};>

Moderator:  bloomsby