Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#377253 - Thu Aug 02 2007 10:43 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Wow! Quite a sea of bicycles Leau . I don't see any 'Mountain' bikes. These are bikes that look like they can cope with rough terrain. Many people in UK ride this type of bike whether they ride off-road or not. Here is my own collection. The usual preferrred fashion is not to have mudguards, saddlebags, etc. The bikes often aren't made to have them fitted. With some improvisation, I have managed to fit them on two of the bikes.

The bike I ride myself is nearest the camera. The other two are for family and visitors.

Link to larger photo.

P.S. While I was setting this photo up, my Claud Butler fell over and the stand broke ...tut!

#377254 - Thu Aug 02 2007 10:57 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
How do you find your own cycle in that lot Leau?

#377255 - Thu Aug 02 2007 11:04 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Leau, do they still have free Government bikes that you can take and ride wherever you want and leave them when you finish with them? Such a good idea.

#377256 - Thu Aug 02 2007 11:23 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
TW, we do have mountain bikes here. Actually, we even call them by that name. They're generally only used for off-road biking though, or by exchange students! Most people that have a mountain bike will also have a 'normal' bike for every day use. They do sell bikes here that are basically mountain bikes with mudguards, luggage racks, etc. fitted on them. We call them 'city bikes'.

Sue, it's just a question of remembering where you put it. And then pray it's still there when you come back! I have a green bike and a blue bike, much easier to find than all the brown/grey ones!

Sara, at the moment they only have them in a national park. They used to have them in Amsterdam but too many got stolen. Hopefully they'll find a way to make them theft-proof and reinstate the program.

#377257 - Thu Aug 02 2007 11:35 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Quote:

They used to have them in Amsterdam but too many got stolen. Hopefully they'll find a way to make them theft-proof and reinstate the program.

We copied the idea from Amsterdam some years ago but as you say, they kept being stolen and that was despite being painted a disgusting shade of green.

Edited by sue943 (Thu Aug 02 2007 11:41 AM)

#377258 - Thu Aug 02 2007 11:38 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Congratulations to your daughter, Au_Naturel.

This is a view from an Old Town street in Hastings.

#377259 - Thu Aug 02 2007 01:01 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
One of the dual centres of my universe, Golders Green Clock Tower. The other is a mile or so north at Henlys Corner. Public transport users are funneled through here while drivers all meet at Henlys Corner, where 3 main roads all cross although Henlys Garage was knocked down for a new road junction the new mayor banned. We now have many vacant lots there which he recently grassed over like gaps in teeth. If he could he'd grass all the roads over as well as he is not a fan of cars.

#377260 - Thu Aug 02 2007 01:01 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Loc: West Virginia
Thank you, TabbyTom, Spanishliz and Sue for your kind comments.

This is the drawing that won First Place for her age group.

Ren33, my what a cute dog Gnawra is! I'd say she has grown considerably since you found her. Hard to believe someone could be so cruel to an innocent puppy--thank God you found her and spared her life. Enjoyed the cute story about the ice cubes!

Edited by Au_Naturel (Tue Aug 28 2007 04:11 PM)

#377261 - Thu Aug 02 2007 01:02 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Having spent all my teenage years and earlier going to art classes I can say drawing like that can't be taught, you've either got it or you haven't, like a good singing voice. There is a future there especially for commercial illustration.

#377262 - Thu Aug 02 2007 01:14 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Satguru. She has never had any formal art training. Actually, she's had little informal art training since she's been homeschooled all her life and the only thing she knows about art is the small amount I was able to recall from an art class I took as a teenager and whatever she has read in books on her own.

I believe she is hoping to pursue a career of some sort with her art. We graduated her in June and a relative asked me if she was planning on getting a job. When I relayed the question to my daughter her response was, "I'm self-employed...my self-employment proceeds just don't earn me enough to live on yet."

Thanks for the comments--I am passing them all on to her (encouragement is great at that age!).

#377263 - Thu Aug 02 2007 01:34 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Thanks everyone for the warm and hearty welcome, and special thanks to Au_Naturel . Your daughter is very talented and I wish her all the luck in the world, to get famous quick. I know she has all your support .

Ren - I love Gnawra! Tumpi, my dog, said to ask how old she is .

I am a bit sad about not going out too much in this period, so whatever photos I am posting, will be from around the house.

#377264 - Thu Aug 02 2007 02:41 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
The wildlife drawings are superb, maybe your daughter has a future as a wildlife artist? I'd certainly have them in my house, where they would join our already quite large collection!
Here's a peaceful evening image of Yarmouth marina on the Isle of Wight, where I spent Tuesday night.

#377265 - Thu Aug 02 2007 02:57 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
It's been so long since I posted here, though I have tried to keep up to date with viewing all the wonderful pictures that you talented people put up. It's a wonderful insight into the lives and locations of our members.

My offering today is a picture taken this evening whilst I had the honour of witnessing our pet guinea pig birth four piglets. These are the first two:

#377266 - Thu Aug 02 2007 03:56 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007 *DELETED*
emily_h268 Offline
Participant

Loc: Texas USA
Post deleted by tellywellies

#377267 - Thu Aug 02 2007 04:38 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Au_Naturel, your daughter's drawings are superb! My ex was a very gifted artist and refused to use his talent until his late 30s because he tired of people asking for drawings. I hope your daughter continues to draw.

Here's a few of the cacti around the house.

#377268 - Thu Aug 02 2007 04:53 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Those drawings are stunning.

#377269 - Thu Aug 02 2007 06:20 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
The deer shows that the first one wasn't a fluke. What a talent she is!

Congratulations on your new arrivals, Santanna

Friday is assembly for COnor's school. It's really good fun, they go through and get two kids to each sing the school song, national anthem and then get kids to tell whose having birthdays in their household and then two more kids sing happy birthday. Because it's all done over sattelite the voices are a couple seconds behind the music - it sounds horrible but it's brilliant at the same time.

That's the principal and the year six teacher on the screen going through the year awards. COnor got the kindy award this week. *yay*

#377270 - Thu Aug 02 2007 07:05 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Quote:

The wildlife drawings are superb, maybe your daughter has a future as a wildlife artist? I'd certainly have them in my house, where they would join our already quite large collection!

Thank you very much, Picqero! We are hoping that she has a future as an artist of some sort...any sort, really, I'm not particular! I'd like to see her develop her portraiture skills some more; her first attempts were really quite good.

That's a very nice picture of the marina, by the way. I wish you would have included a link to a larger version (reading glasses only help so much, you understand!) It indeed looks very peaceful and looks as though it would make for a lovely desktop wallpaper.

Thank you also, ClaraSue, for your kind words. And to Sue and Copago (though you probably didn't intend it, I got a good chuckle out of your "fluke" comment!)

#377271 - Thu Aug 02 2007 08:00 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Yah for Conner, what a neat way to learn. Great drawing of the deer, what talent.

We actually got out today. Mrs. Argus and I went for a drive to the Whiteshell Provincial Park which is about 1 1/2 from our home. It's a place of many lakes and spruce trees and rock, what is called the Canadian Shield. Our favorite place is a 2 kilo walk called Pine Point Falls. Here is a photo of the falls.

At this time of year people bring rubber tubes and such and go down these falls for fun, but not this year. It's hard to tell from this photo but the water is too strong. I actually took some video with my camera, didn't even know I could, so here's a link to the video I shot if you feel like watching it. There is no commentary just the sound of the water.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/mrreb/?action=view&current=be0a1575.flv

Homer Simpson

#377272 - Fri Aug 03 2007 03:03 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

Tumpi, my dog, said to ask how old she is

Hmmm well, Tumpi , I suppose I could disclose Gnawra's age... she is about 3 now. I hear that SOME internet romances work out...
In our village Aloe Vera grows wild. Useful if you burn yourself on the barbie..

Edited by ren33 (Fri Aug 03 2007 03:18 AM)

#377273 - Fri Aug 03 2007 06:02 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
shavsy Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Oldbury West Midlands UK
As I missed the 'View from a Window' thread, I thought i'd show you mine. This is my view from an upstairs window.

(Wish the neighbours would sort their conifers out.. they're growing wild! )

#377274 - Fri Aug 03 2007 06:19 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Another great drawing, Au_Naturel.

In the Napoleonic Wars, more than a hundred Martello towers were built along the south-east coast. Many are now more or less derelict, but some are still used for various purposes. This one at Pevensey Bay has been turned into a private house.

#377275 - Fri Aug 03 2007 06:22 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

That's a very nice picture of the marina, by the way. I wish you would have included a link to a larger version (reading glasses only help so much, you understand!) It indeed looks very peaceful and looks as though it would make for a lovely desktop wallpaper.

I meant every word about your daughter's artistic talent, and I'll get round eventually to showing some of our wildlife paintings by the artist David Perkins. Meanwhile here's another sailing scene from the Solent last week - this is the Prince Consort buoy, a north cardinal buoy situated off Cowes. Cardinal buoys are coloured black and yellow, and as in nature depict danger.
The link to a larger image of Yarmouth harbour, by the way is at Yarmouth
You can expand the image further by clicking the small + sign

Edited by picqero (Fri Aug 03 2007 06:27 AM)

#377276 - Fri Aug 03 2007 09:48 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Earlier in July the Whiteshell suffered a terrible storm. Although the weather office couldn't say there was a tornado it sure looked like it. Thousands of trees were damaged,mostly the top half was snapped off like a twig. This photo shows a bit of the damage, the path to Pine Point Falls used to be nicely shaded by the Pine trees. Now it's a hot and dusty walk.

Homer Simpson

#377277 - Fri Aug 03 2007 09:54 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Ren, I am so sorry! My 12 years old rascal said Gnawra is a bit too 'green' for him. Oh, these picky guys...tut-tut

Today I offer you some proof of how good the guys and gals in my family are. Two days ago we had my brother's birthday and we still have some cake left .

Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy