Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#394476 - Tue Oct 30 2007 09:36 AM Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ontario Canada
Is there a place on the FT site, that lists the do's and don't's of grammar? Do we put quotations around titles when mentioned in a question? How much spacing is required between sentences. I recently was told my spacing was wrong. Where on the site does it say the proper spacing technique? I thought it was two spaces after the end of a sentence. Am I mistaken?

One quiz I was told not to capitalize the answers, in another quiz of a different subject, different editor, I was scolded in a rather condescending manner, about not capitalizing the first word of each answer's choices. Which is it then?

Editors generally stick to the same guidelines, but they do have differences, which they fail to admit, or inform the author about, then we get our quizzes returned, resulting in a display of being an author who is not up to standards and our quizzes will be dealt with later in the queue, because now they are not important. Something to that effect. It is frustrating for beginning authors and the negativity posted with our quizzes about not being up to standards surely leads good authors down to path of giving up.

We need encouragement if we are expected to contribute more often, not ridicule and patronizing remarks.

However, back on track here, are there any grammatical guidelines for authors to follow, can this be posted somewhere, and please send me a message regarding the availability and where to look, if such an instruction manual is available on the FT site.

#394477 - Tue Oct 30 2007 09:44 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
The only thing that I know of where grammar guidelines are available are through the Quiz Maker Tune-Up quizzes -there are some specifically on grammar.

About capitalising answers, I think it depends on what your answers are. For example, if one of them is an answer that requires capitalisation (like a name or place), then you should capitalise the other answers as well, so it looks the same.

As for spacing, I've never been told I have a problem with it. I think I usually use two spaces after a sentence, but I'm not sure now... I definitely do when I write in Word or something, but it's possible I don't in the quiz template. And I don't think I've ever seen anywhere on this site where it tells you what the proper spacing is.

#394478 - Tue Oct 30 2007 09:59 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
For spaces - we don't really care if you use one or two space sin between spaces, as long as you use spaces in between sentences (and not three, four, five...). You also need to use a space after a comma, but not before, spaces around "quotations" and (patentheses) like this.

For capitalisaiton of answers, if the answer is a complete sentence on its own, the answers need to have the first word capitalised. Be consistent with how you capitalise the answers within a question - if you capitalise the first word of one answer, please capitalise the first word of the rest. Sometimes, people will capitalise the first word of the correct answer and not the rest of the answers - this gives away which the correct answer is!

However, be aware that everything *but* the first word of the answers must follow proper capitalisation - if it's a plain noun, don't capitalise it. If it's a proper noun, please capitalise it.

Editor for Television Category

#394479 - Tue Oct 30 2007 10:15 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks ladymach29. The quiz I speak of did not have answers that were sentences at all, so I surmised that non-capitalization was the method to use, except with a question where an actual brand name was used, hence, capitals. Which meant, to avoid giving away the answer, I capitalized the rest of the answer choices. NOT ACCEPTABLE I had to capitalize only the first word of each answer choice to have it PROPER. With some variations of how editors want things, it becomes confusing. May I suggest that the editors get together and produce a grammar, punctuation, quotation, comma, semi-colon, colon etc. preference guide for authors to go by? It would help to do away with some of the negativity that editors' remarks can create.

#394480 - Tue Oct 30 2007 10:32 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Wearing my editor cap here, I sense that you sometimes feel frustrated by inconsistency that you perceive amongst us, but, I think that there are several things happening when you submit a quiz that contribute to some of these problems.

One thing that I've learned as a reasonably rapid typist who learned on an old manual machine many long years ago is that, word processors are a mixed blessing for us all. As I'm typing this note to you, I'm automatically putting two spaces after each sentence, but if I were on a Word document, the machine would probably do it for me as well as automatically correct my spelling of common words to what it 'thinks' they should be. If I am not on top of that problem, it might very well insert words that have nothing to do with what I'm writing! Or it could overlook misspelled words because they might exist but not mean the same thing. If you think of 'cant' and 'wont' they both exist.

Another problem we find is that an FITB answer more often than not is going to generate false incorrects because a space is automatically inserted and the typist does not realize it, and that registers as wrong or other little things that happen.

I am giving you general examples of things and how over the years, the editors have tried to introduce consistency but, as we use material from people around the world, we must be very flexible about some things and rigid about others. These are not lame excuses, but simply an explanation of why you will sometimes find variations between categories and editors.

Here's one from music: In a title of a song, you capitalize as my co editor has detailed above, and put it into quotation marks, but if you're citing a lyric, you obviously don't. So many authors get confused and overdo it when the time comes.

One spacing error I've seen from time to time is typing poetry, lyrics or citations and the spacing goes haywire in the blanks. Another is not spacing after a sentence which makes it look crowded. I explained earlier why this might happen when you're typing into a blank directly. Now, the word processor often inserts a space for you so if you didn't train on dinosaur typewriters like I did, you won't 'feel' the mistake.

Oh one of your queries is about capitalizing answers. I have found that when I compose a quiz in a word processor, it is automatically capitalized and therefore, if it is not necessary in the answer such as a vocabulary quiz where a phrase would be incorrect with that capital letter or something, I must take it down manually to a lower case letter. If for example I had the answer "allemand" which is German in French, the capital letter would not be correct, so I'd take it down to lower case manually.

So the word processor is just a machine and an invaluable device, but, needs to be used with care.

I am going to say this here though, I don't think anyone's work is treated as if it did not have importance. No one on staff is casual about the importance of your work. We may appear to be, but I think that anyone whose work has merit is considered seriously. I'm sure yours does.

Heather aka Bruyere, editor in several categories

#394481 - Tue Oct 30 2007 10:38 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: California USA
In general, standard rules of English grammar apply across the site. There really isn't any debate or difference across categories in how to use periods or commas properly.

Some categories do have their own special concerns, and these are usually addressed in the Special Instructions for the category. Animals, for example, has specific requirements for the capitalization of animal names, which are explained thoroughly, with examples, in the SI. I am pretty sure that the entertainment-related categories have explanations in their SIs about quotations.

Edited by crisw (Tue Oct 30 2007 10:38 AM)

#394482 - Tue Oct 30 2007 11:15 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

"For capitalisaiton of answers, if the answer is a complete sentence on its own, the answers need to have the first word capitalised. Be consistent with how you capitalise the answers within a question - if you capitalise the first word of one answer, please capitalise the first word of the rest."

Does this suggest, that if it is not a complete sentence then letters should be lower case? Or are you suggesting that if question 7, requires a capital, due to a name brand as an answer, then you must go over the complete quiz and capitalize the first word of each answer choice, whether or not it is a complete sentence? I did a name brand answer and had to change the second word of the brand name to lower case, this cannot be right, or did the editor have an oversight and not realize this was a brand name?
Confusion:
"However, be aware that everything *but* the first word of the answers must follow proper capitalisation - if it's a plain noun, don't capitalise it. If it's a proper noun, please capitalise it."
Does this statement suggest the first word can be lower case since it does not matter? If this is the case, why was I told to capitalize the first words? No wonder we authors get confused.
I can see, capitalizing the first word of a sentence, as well as proper names, this makes clear sense. I cannot see capitalizing a fragment or a single word. Are some editors more picky than others on this topic of discussion?
With problems that do occur, which, of course, is natural for all people who write, why do we get this message on our quiz editing page?
Warning:
The editors have noted that your previous submissions have not been up to FunTrivia's standards. This may result in a long delay before your quiz is edited. In order to reduce wait time on future quizzes, ETC.

This tells the authors that because we have made some type of error that a particular editor was not pleased with, we are now standing in the corner being punished for an undetermined amount of time. Do you not see how such a message is condescending?
I love creating quizzes and strive to do well. I generally thank the editors for their assistance in helping me to have a quiz with quality standards. Isn't that part of why we have editors? So they can help us get these fun quizzes on line for the thousands of players? Maybe editors need to be shuffled around so they have different categories to edit. Perhaps they too get bored doing the same thing over and over for the same category. I don't know.
I admire the editors, and love that they offer constructive criticisms so that I can improve.
Don't get me wrong here. I am not upset or angry either, merely confused at some of the knit picky things and which way things are expected to be done.
I do read the guidelines, however, I will admit, I read the quizmaker tune-ups but shall read them again, print them, and have them more readily available.
I sure do appreciate the feedback I am receiving on this confusing topic.
All in all, FT is an amazing and fun filled place. Not to make excuses either, but perhaps age of some of we authors plays a part in some of the difficulties we encounter. Arthritic hands make for difficult typing for some. Poor eyes create a challenge when trying to read small print. I just think some issues are dealt with far too sternly. Pleasant remarks requesting corrections would surely help an author feel less defensive and more accepted. Such a small attitude change could make a world of difference.

#394483 - Tue Oct 30 2007 01:12 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
One thing to keep in mind is that the editors are not actual trained and paid *editors* such as you would find at a publishing house. Editors are selected because they are good quiz writers who have the time and inclination to volunteer edit for the site. Every editor here has good basic English skills. However, we vary widely as to *how* good those skills are - I have seen my fellow editors make grammatical and punctuation errors in their writing, and I suspect some are sometimes found in mine.

So, yes, some editors are more picky. Some editors will fix small problems for you (and may or may not inform you about it) whereas some others will send a quiz back for revision even if there is only one very small error. This just comes with the nature of how the site works - my advice would be to just be happy when you get an easy editor, and watch your p's and q's with the others.

One other point - you will not get the "The editors have noted that your previous submissions have not been up to FunTrivia's standards..." message just because of small discrepancies with how we want you to capitalize, or punctuate. There must either be a complete disregard for standard English (not capitalizing proper names, for example, and never using any punctuation at all), or an inability to work with the editors (disregarding editors' comments, and resubmitting quizzes with no changes made, say) or a more serious problem, such as plagiarism.

agony, FT editor Music, Literature, For Children, Humanities

#394484 - Tue Oct 30 2007 01:57 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Whenever asked to revise or edit, I have done so in a pleasant manner. I have not been rude nor have I ignored what was asked of me to do, at least not that I am aware of.

I did have one issue of plagiarism, but that editor was wonderful and helped me to understand many aspects that were not clear to me, such as changing words around, just does not cut it. That I have absolutely no complaint about. That editor was gracious and wonderful.

Generally, I have no complaint really.

Being as this is confusing at times, I have raised a discussion that could help others to understand some of the points that editors feel they need to make, and some of the areas that could use a little softening up. All is only my opinion and has no reflection on anyone in particular.

#394485 - Tue Oct 30 2007 02:33 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
agony Online   content

Administrator

Plagiarism is one of the reasons for getting the 'green screen' that tends to stick a bit longer than the others. Even that can be shaken, though, once you get a good solid block of quizzes online with no problems.

Mostly, I would say don't worry too much about it. After a while, you will get to know how the editors in the various categories you write for want your quizzes presented, and it will cease to be a problem. Getting a quiz sent back for revision is no big deal, it happens to everybody, even very seasoned authors, yes, even to editors.

We try to be consistent, but site wide consistency is not likely to ever happen, and may not even be desirable. Different categories attract different types of quizzes, and different types of authors, and the editors in them have evolved their guidelines to reflect these realities. Think of this place as more of an organic work-in-progress than as set-in-stone.

#394486 - Tue Oct 30 2007 08:40 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
ladymacb29 Offline

Quote:

"For capitalisaiton of answers, if the answer is a complete sentence on its own, the answers need to have the first word capitalised. Be consistent with how you capitalise the answers within a question - if you capitalise the first word of one answer, please capitalise the first word of the rest."

Does this suggest, that if it is not a complete sentence then letters should be lower case? Or are you suggesting that if question 7, requires a capital, due to a name brand as an answer, then you must go over the complete quiz and capitalize the first word of each answer choice, whether or not it is a complete sentence?

I don't say to go over the entire quiz - I say that the capitalisation must be consistent *within* the question, not between/amongst all the questions.

Quote:

Does this statement suggest the first word can be lower case since it does not matter? If this is the case, why was I told to capitalize the first words? No wonder we authors get confused.

I can't comment as I did not see the quiz you are talking about.

Quote:

I can see, capitalizing the first word of a sentence, as well as proper names, this makes clear sense. I cannot see capitalizing a fragment or a single word. Are some editors more picky than others on this topic of discussion?

I will ask authors to capitalise the first word of an answer if there is another answer *within that same question* which requires capitalisation. This is so no one answer stands out more than another.

Quote:

With problems that do occur, which, of course, is natural for all people who write, why do we get this message on our quiz editing page?
Warning:
The editors have noted that your previous submissions have not been up to FunTrivia's standards. This may result in a long delay before your quiz is edited. In order to reduce wait time on future quizzes, ETC.

This has been addressed previously. Please search for threads in this forum on the 'green screen warning'.

Quote:

This tells the authors that because we have made some type of error that a particular editor was not pleased with, we are now standing in the corner being punished for an undetermined amount of time. Do you not see how such a message is condescending?

For 99% of the authors who receive this warning, it is because of consistent errors in the quizzes that have been previously submitted. It is not because one editor has a grudge against a particular author.

Quote:

Isn't that part of why we have editors? So they can help us get these fun quizzes on line for the thousands of players?

The 'green screen' is so the authors know there have been consistent errors and there has, frankly, been a lack of improvement. For the 1% of the authors, their first submission was so incredibly subpar, that there was so feasible way they could have played the 100 required quizzes without understanding that a capital letter begins a sentence or that a quiz must be spell-checked. For those 1% of authors, they may see a green screen after their first submission.

But for the rest, it is because of consisten errors on submissions that had the authors read the guidelines would not be occurring and not because of consistent improvement.

Quote:

Maybe editors need to be shuffled around so they have different categories to edit. Perhaps they too get bored doing the same thing over and over for the same category. I don't know.

The editors volunteer to edit. If they are 'bored', they do not edit or 'unvolunteer'. They choose to edit the categories they want, the ones they have a particular interest or knowledge in. "Shuffling around" would bring a decrease in the editing quality as editors would be less apt to edit as they would not be editing subjects they enjoy or have any knowledge on.

#394487 - Tue Oct 30 2007 08:44 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
ladymacb29 Offline

People who plagiarse will most likely see the 'green screen' errors for at least a year or so as this is a sign to the editors and a reminder to the authors that plagiarism has occurred in the past.

As for why some get the green screen and others don't, if you can basically write a quiz whcih only has a couple errors such as typos or quick formatting errors (or no errors) and those errors are fixed upon resubmission (and this occurs consistently), you will most likely not have a green screen.

But please keep in mind, everyone is different and every case is different. (Just as every quiz is different.)

But as the other two editors have mentioned, plagiarism is taken very seriously here and is the one reason that everyone would most definitely receive a green screen.

#394488 - Tue Oct 30 2007 10:47 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong *DELETED*
Hermit007 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iron Bridge Ontario Canada   
Post deleted by Hermit007

#394489 - Wed Oct 31 2007 06:19 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Quote:

Awaiting green screen for this note...lol

#394490 - Wed Oct 31 2007 09:53 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
ladymacb29 Offline

Quote:

As far as I can remember people places and things have a capitol on them..but that was 40 some years ago.

Yup, that's correct. If it's someone's name, like Betty, or the name of the place, like London, you capitalise it. But if it's something more generic, like girl, or city, then you don't.

If you're in doubt, sometimes the dictionary can help you out - they'll show you the capitalisation.

#394491 - Wed Oct 31 2007 10:57 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

But a little more conssistiny would be nice. One Editor tells you capitals are not needed, next one says they are. One gives you the great adivce as to "fix question' Well that's helpful. One screams you are plagiarseing someone. And you have no idea what sentence/topic he is mad about.

I think most of the editors realize that the majority of quiz authors do not intend to plagiarize, and they will explain what the problem is patiently, especially if it is your first offence. I've never had a quiz returned to me with simply "This is plagiarism". The editor will usually point out what question is coming close to plagiarism, will provide the reference that you are plagiarizing and even suggest ways to fix it if you are unsure. I think it becomes a problem when you have the same problems with your next submission, and the next, and the next. Just like any issue the editors raise with your quiz writing, listen to what they're telling you to fix, do it, and then DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN. I think that's where the editors start to get frustrated with some authors, when they see the same issues over and over again. This is where you might get a terse "This is plagiarism" note with your quiz returned to you, if it is your fourth submission in a row with the same issues. Trust me, even if you manage to get on an editor's bad side with one quiz, if you fix your problems and consistently follow the guidelines, you can win your way back into their good graces.

#394492 - Wed Oct 31 2007 08:51 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
ladymacb29 Offline

I usually don't provide the reference the first time when I tell an author there's plagiarism because I assume they know what they copied. However, if you honestly don't know what is plagiarised, please reply back and ask for clarification! The authors are always willing to help someone who wants help and we'd gladly trade one author who wants to do better for 30 authors who just click on 'corrected' and resubmit the quiz without any changes because they didn't understand.

#394493 - Wed Oct 31 2007 09:39 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
guitargoddess Offline

Oh. Well the couple of times that I had a quiz sent back to me, the editor gave me the reference of what was close to plagiarism.

#394494 - Thu Nov 01 2007 05:18 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Eye halve a spelling chequer, it came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques,
four my revue, miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word and weight four it two say,
Weather eye am wrong oar write it shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid, it nose bee fore two long.
And eye can put the error rite it's rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it, I am shore your pleased two no.
Its letter perfect awl the weigh, my chequer tolled me sew.

#394495 - Thu Nov 01 2007 06:06 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
I do not provide the reference either the first time round. Have found that when you tell a quiz author their quiz has parts that come from another site, they tend to know exactly which area(s) of the quiz I am referring.

In the same respect, I will receive a note from the quiz author saying, "I have not plagarised". However, when the quiz is returned, the plagarised parts are now in their own words and do not match anything. This is very frustrating. I wish quiz authors (the ones that do plagarise), would just own up to the fact that they were caught, and acknowledge it and move on. Sad to say, that is not the case.

As for capitalisaion, spacing and grammar:

I seem not to find too many errors with capitalisation.

For spacing, as long as it is consistent throughout the quiz (either one space after a full stop or two spaces after a full stop), I do not mention spacing to the quiz author; as most times there are bigger issues with the quiz other than spacing.

Grammar: Now that is where I have to advise the quiz author to use a spell/grammar check program. I will point out a few grammatical errors and that is all. The quiz author has to do the rest of the finding (by using a spell/grammar check program).

-------
Agnes (JTJ)
Editor: Celebrities, Entertainment, Video Games

#394496 - Thu Nov 01 2007 06:36 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

I do get what people are saying here, no doubt, but even here, people are not agreeing completely.

Guitargoddess you said "The editor will usually point out what question is coming close to plagiarism," in post #915018, Oct. 31 at 11:57 a.m. Plagiarism either is or isn't. "Coming close to" means it is not, in my opinion. I do understand how plagiarism becomes a more difficult issue, all the time, with the power of computers.

I do appreciate everyone's comments here!

#394497 - Thu Nov 01 2007 06:47 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Wow, Rowena, though somewhat exaggerated, this is an interesting example of how spell check fails a writer. Those who do not have a superior grasp of the English language will not be aware of the errors, receive comments from editors and be bewildered as to where they have gone wrong. We have many authors who are not English to begin with, yet they create quizzes. They try.

Our editors, who volunteer, try also, I am fully aware of this. Generally they do a great job, but sometimes they, by lack of information to the author, fail to make the blow of rejection of a quiz, less sour. I know, they don't have all the time in the world to respond to each author's error in a more pleasant and explanatory way, but I think some degree of kindness and consideration could greatly improve communications. Oftentimes the chill of words is not realized until after they are said, and cannot be taken back.
This does not take away from the fact that, though I have not been aggressive or rude, many authors are not kind to the editors either. Our editors take some pretty nasty abuses too, I am sure.

All in all, I think that a kinder communication, when an editor sends back a quiz, some less harsh explanations why will make a difference and keep mood between editor and author more even keeled.

#394498 - Thu Nov 01 2007 07:08 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
agony Online   content

Administrator

You're never going to get complete agreement - we were not selected for our ability to toe the line, but rather for our originality and flair.

I'd ask you to make allowances for cultural differences too - our editors come from all over the world, and what may seem abrupt to you may be just businesslike to them.

I'm a middle aged Canadian who has worked her whole life in various service industries - I could no more give you an order without saying "Please" than I could go out in November without my coat on. Someone from a different milieu may not even notice the absence of "Please".

#394499 - Thu Nov 01 2007 08:33 AM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
guitargoddess Offline

It can be hard to tell what tone someone was implying with a written note on a website, though. Like agony said, the way it sounds to you when you read it can be entirely different than the way it was meant when it was written.

If they were telling you in person, it could be "Please fix your quiz" with a smile on their face, but in a note you could read that same sentence and picture an icy expression.

#394500 - Thu Nov 01 2007 07:28 PM Re: Grammar, spacing, quotations - right and wrong
funnytrivianna Offline
Forum Adept

Authors also come from different backgrounds, and allowances should be made for that as well then. As the saying goes, "what is good for the goose is good for the gander".

I agree with you too, though. We are all just people and we all falter, but the point I am making is that some of us are backed against the wall with perfection expected from us, while others walk the thin red line, unsure which way to go, and others have no care in the world because they know they will keep getting away with what they do wrong, unpunished, shall I say.

I can see expecting some things to not happen, like plagiarism, but some of the picking at authors, done by editors is overboard, when it is not delivered to every author by every editor. The inconsistencies are really quite dramatic for a site that is supposed to be FUN! Authors are not having fun, when we should be. Editors are not having fun when authors confront them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  agony