Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#41042 - Wed Jan 30 2002 05:37 AM Re: Which author of history would you...
Dobrov Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Hradec Kralove Czech Republic
sorry, Jazzkickazz, just forgot myself for a moment there. In my opinion, the guests from hell would include Kitty Kelly and Jackie Collins. Mind-numbing boredom.

#41043 - Wed Jan 30 2002 10:20 AM Re: Which author of history would you...
Lupetta Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London
England UK
Sorry too Jazz, I WAS starting to think, hmmmm, is anyone execpt me and Dobrov actually interested in this rambling ;-).

Well, I don't like the sound of Wordsworth very much and I certainly wouldn't want to meet Robert Souhey. Samuel Richardson didn't seem very nice either.

In terms of irascibility I think that either Henrik Ibsen or August Strindberg would take the prize here.

#41044 - Wed Feb 06 2002 12:34 AM Re: Which author of history would you...
toaisc Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Greenville, SC
William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Ayn Rand

#41045 - Tue Feb 05 2002 02:35 PM Re: Which author of history would you...
flem-ish Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
As I notice you all are still dining around. Somehow the idea of a dinner is not really my 'cup of tea'. Hm.
But coming to think of it, and remembering the special circumstances of my first time visit to the Czech capital- a tour of Prague under the guidance of Franz Kafka would really be something to look for.
Yet I would not expect him to be very talkative.
Wonder who would be good literary guides for Budapest,Krakow?
Same applies to States. Which authors would be suitable company to explore New York, Boston ?
Brendan Behan might be nice for Dublin.Am afraid James Joyce would be a bit of a sourpuss.
A snack in between drinks would not be objected to.
But I prefer to talk and walk, rather than to sit and chat.
Mens sana in corpore sano, a mobile mind in a body on the move, is my idea of meeting celebrities in art or "letters".
BTW every year there is in Brussels a kind of Walk of the Town, where hundreds and hundreds of people visit places where they can talk to popular authors,attend poetry readings, listen in to discussion-panels.It's a multilingual event and it combines with excellent culinary opportunities. And for the cliché-lovers, yes the beer, chocolate, waffles shops are open too though it's usually on a Sunday. Name of the event: Het Groot Beschrijf, which more or less transliterates as The Put-It-Into-Writing Day.Flemish, Dutch, French,German, Spanish, North-African, Turkish authors cooperating.And the walking efforts can be limited to the area between the Gare du Nord and the Grande Place. Nothing an able-bodied book-lover should shy away from. If I had to look for a guide among English authors I would hesitate between Thackeray and Charlotte Bronte, who was a boarding-school student here.For a tour of Bruges Longfellow or Wordsworth might be nice, and for a ride from Ostend to Liege on the Stamboul Train Graham Greene would be quite companionable, I think.

#41046 - Wed Feb 06 2002 11:37 PM Re: Which author of history would you...
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Among the authors I wouldn't want to meet at dinner or anywhere else would be:

John Milton (a great poet and polemicist, but an insufferable prig)

Charles Dickens

Any ofthe early Victorian greats such as Thomas Carlyle or Thomas Macaulay, who'd never let anyone get a word in edgeways.

#41047 - Thu Feb 07 2002 05:10 AM Re: Which author of history would you...
FallAir Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Denver Colorado USA          
My choice is more modern.

Steven Ambrose. His insights on WWII and the generation that endured it are facinating to me.

#41048 - Wed Jun 26 2002 07:54 PM Re: Which author of history would you...
VickiNZ Offline
Learning the ropes...

Van Loon - Dutch American author in his ‘Lives’(1942) has already been there, done that. Over 700 pages of dinner with the great writers and historical figures. He also describes their conversations, dinner menus, et with a wry humour and analysis of their personalities and what made them great. Probably long out of print now, but worth getting your local library to search thru its stack for. contains Erasmus, Thomas more, Descartes, Robespierre, Buddha, Hans Andersen, mozart, Dickinson, Chopin, Leonardo Da Vinci, ElizabethI inter alia.
Vicki
New Zealand

#41049 - Wed Jun 26 2002 08:15 PM Re: Which author of history would you...
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
Hmmm, Oscar Wilde & Dorothy Parker. What an incredibly sarcastic dinner it would be!! My aim in life seems to be to play the smart arse, and it would be fantastic to learn from the masters!

#41050 - Thu Jun 27 2002 04:18 PM Re: Which author of history would you...
Lupetta Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London
England UK
For a tour of Krakow may I suggest Adam Mickiewicz, whose statue stands in the beautiful town square. However, if you don't speak Polish (and let's face it, who does ) there might be a bit of gesticulating going on.

For a tour of London there's only one contender - John Gay who wrote the famous mock-epic "Trivia" about walking the streets of London. I suppose Dickens might be good but I think Gay would be more fun.

#41051 - Tue Jul 09 2002 09:42 PM Re: Which author of history would you...
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
Hey, Jazz, I'm still on who I would LIKE to have dinner with.
Maybe when I die, and if I go to heaven, and if I'm not too presumptious I would be eternally happy to have Larry McMurtry (who will bring the steaks), Tom Wolfe (who will provide the shrimp cocktails, and this is no reflection on his diminutive stature), Mark Twain ( with the after dinner cigars), Benjamin Franklin (with a flagon of wine), William Faulkner (with whatever he wants to bring), and a mystery guest whose works I have not yet discovered.

#41052 - Fri Feb 21 2003 08:55 AM Re: Which author of history would you...
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
Shakespeare. He could get along just fine with us common folk. And if you are going to have a writer to dinner, you might as well pick the greatest. And then I could finally lay to rest this quibbling over weather SHakespeare really wrote Shakespeare.

#41053 - Sun Mar 23 2003 11:59 AM Re: Which author of history would you...
angeldeb99 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: washington state
i would choose jane austen as well. she's the only author i've ever read that can tell a story about pretty much nothing and make it interesting. not to mention, the period of time that she lived in is a time that i would be very interested to spend some time in. so, i would want the dinner to be during her lifetime, not mine.

debbie

#41054 - Sun Mar 23 2003 12:28 PM Re: Which author of history would you...
angeldeb99 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: washington state
i don't know if you could place her in the "author" catagory, but i'd love to have the opportunity to have dinner with anne frank. her life has always fascinated me, and after recently visiting her house in amsterdam, where she and her family hid, i'm even more interested to know every detail of her experiences during that time.

debbie

#41055 - Sun Mar 23 2003 05:02 PM Re: Which author of history would you...
janefan Offline
Forum Adept

I would like to have dinner with Margaret Mitchell, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Agatha Christie, and/or Jane Austen. I would NOT like to meet Marx, Judy Blume (ugh!) or George Eliot.

#41056 - Thu Apr 24 2003 05:04 AM Re: Which author of history would you...
mnbates Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Southport, Lancashire, England
Have you read the excellent murder mystery by George Baxt "Dorothy Parker and the Vicious Circle" it features many of the characters you have mentioned. Also check out "Harpo Speaks" one of the best autobiographies covering that era. If you include FPA, Heywood Broun, Bea Kauffman, Aleck Woolcott, Ruth Gordon, Garson Kanin and Alice Duer Miller, and Groucho, George Burns, George Jessel and Neysa McMein you have a real party. Regards, Tin

#41057 - Tue Apr 29 2003 11:28 AM Re: Which author of history would you...
janefan Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check it out right away.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom