Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#41533 - Tue Mar 26 2002 07:46 PM Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
johnnyk Offline
Participant

Loc: New York, New York
Lord of the rings is one of my fav. books ever. There are alot of people to choose from. I hope you like my pole

#41534 - Tue Oct 22 2002 03:23 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
Ana_moc Offline
Participant

Loc: GUATEMALA
Merry... and Pippin, they are SOOOO funny.... I was afraid that one of them (i cant remember which) was killed in book three (the first partt) when an Orc fell on him, i even cried!

#41535 - Thu Oct 24 2002 07:43 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: North Carolina USA
I love the Lord of the Rings, too, and have read the set, plus The Hobbit, several times.

Merry and Pippin are very funny--especially Pippin. He's so "Tookish", isn't he and young, that he keeps sticking his furry foot in it!

Sam, though, is my favorite character. I value loyalty and trustworthiness above all things, and Sam was all that and more. It wasn't his vow to Gandalf that sent him to the Fires of Mordor with Frodo, wasn't it? It was his faithful heart and love.

#41536 - Thu Oct 24 2002 07:16 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
shishkakat Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Montana, USA
Alright, as a person who has only seen the movie I'm speaking from that point of view. But I have many 'favorites.'

(In order:)

5. Gandalf
4. Merry
3. Pippin
2. Sam (I loved it in the movie: "I wasn't dropping no eaves!")
1. Legolas

I think every girl my age loves Legolas because he's very good-looking but I like him for his style. He's so serious, but in a laid back manner. (Confusing, eh?) He was also the one that saved everyones' butts more than once. He is just so cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#41537 - Fri Oct 25 2002 04:24 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
PearlQ19 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Germany
Definitely Aragorn! He is so noble and kind, and yet he can be merciless against enemies... well, and Viggo Mortensen played him SO well in the movie! But Aragorn has always been my favorite, ever since I first read the book at the age of ten, which is now exactly ten years ago...
Then, of course, there are Merry and Pippin - who, I think, everyone just HAS to love! -, and Frodo himself. I also like Legolas and Boromir (yes, I do!).
Actually, there's no character I don't like at all... Sam is cute, too! And of course, he is a very true friend so you can't help liking him.
One thing about Sam I noticed in "The Two Towers" (the movie) was that Sean Astin's eyes have a wonderful color. Did anyone else notice that? It's a dark green or something, with a lot of gray and brown in it...

Edited by PearlQ19 (Mon Dec 30 2002 04:05 PM)

#41538 - Sat Jan 04 2003 07:42 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
Wordnerd Offline
Learning the ropes...

Sam, by far...I also love Gollum. I kinda like Aragorn and Gandalf too.

#41539 - Sat Jan 04 2003 08:50 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
thejazzkickazz Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Utah USA
My choices are purely based on the book...I hope that the movie hasn't created a bias here (though I understand if it has).

I really enjoy Gimli, particularly in the Two Towers. He is an avid fighter, but an equally avid lover (of Galadriel). His friendship with Legolas and their friendly competition (how many orcs have they killed) are charming features... I remember laughing out loud over his hunger to lop off orc heads (sounds ghoulish, doesn't it?)

I agree also on Gollum, such a twisted, cunning, confused and contrite creature. He is the id personified, I think. It's not often that one can feel such pity for a character who is essentially villainous.

Tom Bombadil and Treebeard both deserve mentions here as well. Tom because he is so overwhelmingly powerful, but yet so simply in his ways...an enlightened dictator of the Old Forest. Treebeard because he is simply so charming, like an old professor with mounds of wisdom who lacks the ability to deliver it without going off on a dozen tangents!

#41540 - Sun Jan 05 2003 11:23 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario†Canada†††††††††
My favourite from the books was the Legolas-Gimli pair. Particularly during the battle of Helm's Deep.

In the movies I think as far as those two go, Gimli won my favour a bit more, even though I have this "thing" about elves. It was his whole thing about dwarves being very dangerous over short distances, and then when he couldn't see over the wall, and when he asked Aragorn to "toss him - but don't tell the elf!." LMAO (laughing my avocados off...)

Also movie-wise I have to say I really enjoyed listening to Pippin. He had the best accent.

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#41541 - Fri Jan 10 2003 05:26 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
mickeymouse24 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: India
In order :

5. Umm . . that lady, niece of Lord of Rohan. Her name started with E...
4. Merry
3. Pippin
2. Gandalf
1. Aragorn

I really admired Aragorn - because he's so brave, but at the same time, gentle, kind, sympathetic, but ruthless with the enemies. and he never strayed (remember when Galadriel "offered" each person the option of going home (by telepathy)? Well, he and someone else never wavered at that point. )

#41542 - Fri Jan 10 2003 09:29 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario†Canada†††††††††
In reply to:

5. Umm . . that lady, niece of Lord of Rohan. Her name started with E...

Her name is …owyn.

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#41543 - Fri Jan 10 2003 11:37 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: North Carolina USA
Pearl, my husband has the same colored eyes as Sean Astin. We called them hazel for want of a better word. I really liked Lady Eowyn, too. She was so brave and so tragic--a real heroine.

Edited by LindaC007 (Fri Jan 10 2003 11:40 AM)

#41544 - Sun Jan 12 2003 12:13 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
coolcat90 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Perth Western†Australia†††††††
I have a couple. They are:

Aragorn
Frodo
Bilbo
Sam
Pip
Merry
Legolas
Gimili
And of course Gandalf.

Gandalf is probably my all time favourite.

#41545 - Fri Jan 24 2003 08:03 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
PearlQ19 Offline
Forum Adept

Aaaargh!!! I can't believe that I forgot Faramir!!! I must have been distracted by the movie, where they changed him so much But especially in the third book, Faramir is so... well... likeable He has always been one of my favorites, and I definitely have to mention that here!
Being a girl, I naturally think first of the male characters (of whom there are so many...), but I also like …owyn very much as she's a little bit like myself, or better: Had I lived in such a time, I would have been a little like her But to be honest, there are not many other women to choose as a favorite apart from Galadriel. Arwen's character is simply too little developed.

#41546 - Fri Jan 24 2003 11:14 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

I read Lord of the Rings after I played a lot of D&D games -used to take a Ranger always - maybe thats the reason I like Strider aka Aragorn aka Elessar aka......

Tom Bombadil - the most powerful character in the game (in a way)
and of course - my favourites - Saruman, Grim Wormtongue, Sauron and Lotho (?)

#41547 - Tue Jan 28 2003 02:23 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
radioderv Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ireland
You thinking of Otho Sackville Baggins....Frodo's evil cousin?

#41548 - Tue Jan 28 2003 02:26 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

The same guy - but he is called 'Lotho'

#41549 - Mon Sep 08 2003 05:21 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
rohiniiota Offline
Participant

Loc: Mumbai India
I can't believe only one person mentioned Faramir! Thank you, Pearl.

#41550 - Mon Sep 08 2003 07:22 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
Lupetta Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London
England†UK
I'm about a third of the way through the Return of th King so I may come back and revise this when I've finished

The two characters that have affected me the most so far are Boromir and Smeagol (I don't like to call him Gollum). These have been the moments when I've cried so far - Bormoir's fall and repentance and the beautiful song they sing for him after his burial I found very moving. What happens to Smeagol is the most powerful demonstration of the evil contained in the ring and there is a heartbreaking moment near the end of the Two Towers where he finds Sam and Frodo asleep and just for a moment his old self reappears and he strokes Frodo's knee very gently. Sam awakes full of suspicion and calls him a sneak and within seconds Gollum is back.

I started reading Lord of the Rings out of curiosity, to see "what all the fuss was about".I never dreamt I'd become as absorbed in and moved by it as I have.

#41551 - Mon Sep 08 2003 09:59 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
hpgrl Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: La La Land
i have tried to read the books many times but I can't seem to get into them so my favorites are from the movie

1. Aragorn
2.Pippin
3.Legalas
4.Smeagle
5.Merry

Edited by hpgrl (Tue Sep 23 2003 09:36 AM)

#41552 - Tue Sep 09 2003 09:18 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
PearlQ19 Offline
Forum Adept

Quote:

Bormoir's fall and repentance and the beautiful song they sing for him after his burial I found very moving.

Through Rohan over fen and field where the long grass grows...

I absolutely love the song. I actually typed it, and now it's on the wall just above my bed I totally agree with you, this scene is simply so moving. I have always liked Boromir a lot, and it did my poor little heart good that the other three grieve over his death and grant him this kind of funeral, although he acted so strangely before - which was, as we all know, not his fault. Not entirely, anyway.

Another character I forgot to mention was Beregond. He doesn't appear until ROTK, so those of you who have only seen the movies haven't met him yet. I do hope that they'll include him in the third movie (couldn't see how they want to do it without him), but I read a cast list somewhere in these forums, and he was NOT included... so what?

#41553 - Sat Jan 31 2004 08:07 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Not a massive fan but like Sam, Frodo, Bilbo, Gollum and Gandalf

#41554 - Thu Feb 05 2004 11:42 AM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Ok, I've never even seen the movies, so my opinion hasn't been influenced in any way by them. My first experience with the books was at age 3, when my mother read them to my sister and I, and I read them again myself the first time at 7. Boy, as you read them over as an adult, they really have new meanings. Every time I read them, I find some new facet I hadn't considered before.

For favorite characters, I'll have to go with Tom Bombadil. I love that guy. And THAT, my friends, is one of the reasons I didn't bother watching the movies. What is, after all, the Fellowship of the Rings without Tom Bombadil? Anyway, enough of that cliche little rant... I also loved Eonwy's character. Of course, I liked all the characters. How can you not? I have always liked Viggo Mortenson, and imagine he does justice to Aragorn's character. But one character I was really disappointed to hear had a much larger role than Tolkein ever intended was Arwen. Her character in the books is hardly impressive. And while I understand Liv Tyler's a boost to the box office if she gets enough screen time, I simply do not understand the reasoning behind making her a major player.

#41555 - Wed Feb 18 2004 09:03 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
Chris1013 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SW London
England†UK
I have to admit that I've only read the first book so far, so my choice is definitely influenced by the movies.

5. Frodo
4. Pippin+Merry (they just belong together, so I figured I could name them as one person)
3. gollum
2. Legolas
1. Sam

#41556 - Thu Feb 19 2004 12:33 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina††††...
I have seen the movies, but they haven't affected my view on the characters I've always liked.

My favorite characters are Sam and Aragorn. I have always liked those two the best. And of course I like …owyn, she's a great character, very strong yet very delicate.

#41557 - Mon Mar 01 2004 06:05 PM Re: Whos your fav. in "Lord of the Rings"
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North†Carolina†USA
Gimli and Legolas, for their teamwork and humor.
Quote:

[after Legolas single-handedly takes out an Oliphaunt and its drivers]
Gimli: That still only counts as one.

Merry & Pippin, how could you not like them?
Quote:

Pippin: The last of the Longbottom leaf?
Merry: I know you've run out. You smoke too much, Pip.

From the movie, I liked Eowyn's cousin, Eomer, the tall, hunky blond. *hubba hubba*

But my favorite is Sam.
Quote:

Sam: It'll be Spring back in the Shire, and the fields will be blossoming, and the birds'll be nesting in the hazel thicket, and they'll be planting the summer barley in the lower fields, and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries, Mr. Frodo?

Frodo: No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food, nor the sound of water, nor the touch of grass. I'm naked in the dark. There's nothing--no veil between me and the wheel of fire. I can see him with my waking eyes.

Sam: Then let us be rid of it. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom