Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#416925 - Mon Apr 07 2008 04:38 AM 'What is it?' thread comments.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
There has been interest in a 'What is it?' thread where photos, or parts of photos, leave us guessing what objects are. I thought we could give it a try.

We hope not to have too many rules about posting. I think we'll just let it run to see how it goes. A single thread would probably be best. This works well for 'Photo-a-Day' and it should do for the 'What is it?' mystery photos. It's perhaps easier to scroll a single thread than it is to keep going from one thread to another. If the thread grows too big, I can always start another one every now and then.

I'd personally suggest that only one photo at a time runs. Post another only when the current one has been correctly identified. It could get confusing if a number of mystery photos are being guessed at the same time. We can see how that goes though. Maybe it would be good if those who have posted a photo and had it identified could hold back from posting for a few hours in order to give others a chance.

A delicate subject must be mentioned: We know all of the regular members here will only post suitable photos, or parts of suitable photos. However, on an open forum, anything is possible. It's not inconceivable that people we don't know could post anything. Because of this, I may sometimes ask to see an entire photo (or be told what it is)*. As the Moderator, I have to worry about and look after such aspects of the forum. No offence it meant. Needless to say that if anything unsuitable is posted, Admin. will not be pleased.

*Note: I promise not to subsequently post the answer and so appear to be a very clever guesser .

The 'What is it?' thread can be discussed here. A thread has now been started for the photos.

Edited by tellywellies (Mon Apr 07 2008 05:04 AM)

#416926 - Wed Apr 09 2008 03:34 AM Re: 'What is it?' thread comments. [Re: tellywellies]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I wonder if it might be a good idea to follow the lead of the Games & Challenges' Trivia Rounds and for people to sent PMs to the person posting the photo rather than have guesses in the thread.

Just a thought as sometimes people will not have a chance to guess if they are in different time zones, perhaps leaving the photo for a day or two so everyone has a chance to see it.

Views on this?

#416927 - Wed Apr 09 2008 03:42 AM Re: 'What is it?' thread comments. [Re: sue943]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
I have to agree. I'd say give 2-3 days to figure it out, then after the time is up, then give the answer.

#416928 - Wed Apr 09 2008 03:54 AM Re: 'What is it?' thread comments. [Re: dg_dave]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

That could be how to do it. Although ...it might be interesting/amusing to read other people's guesses on whether it's a 'thingumyjig' or a 'whatsit'

#416929 - Wed Apr 09 2008 04:19 AM Re: 'What is it?' thread comments. [Re: tellywellies]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
ugh. Okay I am really trying to put a photo up but photobucket doesn't want to play my game. I'm trying to resize it in the new edit feature but it doesn't seem to be saving it. Any tips on how to save it?? If someone has a pic ready go ahead and post it! Mine isn't that good anyway

#416930 - Wed Apr 09 2008 05:58 AM Re: 'What is it?' thread comments. [Re: Copago]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
A good 24 hours for the picture to be up to let us guess what it is is my request. I didn't get to guess this last one at all!

#416931 - Wed Apr 09 2008 08:05 AM Re: 'What is it?' thread comments. [Re: ClaraSue]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Yes, that could work. The poster waits 24 hours or so before giving the answer. Would you prefer that to the PM option, or would you be happy with either?

#416932 - Sat Apr 19 2008 11:59 AM Re: 'What is it?' thread comments. [Re: tellywellies]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Having just posted a 'What is it' image, and seen the guesses so far, I'm definitely in favour of the 'wait 24 hours' option, and wholly against the PM option. Let everyone see what others are guessing; it all adds to the fun

#416933 - Sun Jun 01 2008 01:44 PM Re: 'What is it?' thread comments. [Re: picqero]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Not saying what the mystery object is for 24 hours is working well. It gives those in different time zones a chance to guess at the object without looking in and finding that the answer has already been given.

In addition to that, I think the poster shouldn't give any information at all about the mystery object during that time. To say what an object 'isn't' or give clues when a few wrong guesses have been made, doesn't give everyone a chance to be equally wrong. If we know what the object isn't, we can discard that and think of something else. The first guessers won't have had that advantage.

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy