Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#424463 - Fri Jun 06 2008 04:15 PM New maximum photo size
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
It's been decided that the maximum dimension (height or width) of a photo can be increased to 640 pixels. This would typically mean that displayed photos measure 640 X 480 pixels (sample below). Photobucket provides an option to resize photos being uploaded to these dimensions. Photos can still be less than this size if preferred of course.

Most screen resolutions are 1024 X 768 pixels or above these days, so photos measuring 640 X 480 will fit onto most screens. There is some trade-off with the length of time a pageful of larger photos might take to load. Those with a broadband connection shouldn't be too troubled by this and it's hoped that those on dial-up will find the change tolerable.

This will be on a trial basis for a while. Let's see how we get on with it.

#424464 - Fri Jun 06 2008 04:26 PM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: tellywellies]
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Ooo, lovely, Tellywellies! Excited to see all the BIG photos!

#424465 - Fri Jun 06 2008 11:19 PM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: djsgal]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

One thing to bear in mind is that it will use more of the of the Photobucket monthly bandwidth usage allowed for the free account. However, I think you'd have to be using the account for alot more than showing photos here before the limit is reached. Perhaps worth looking into every once in a while nonetheless. Open Photobucket and click the 'account options' link at the top-right of the page. See the 'Account Dashboard'

Typical file size of a 320 pixel photo = 75 kB

Typical file size of a 640 pixel photo = 175 kB

When someone views your photo for the fist time, it will typically use up, from your account, the number of kilobytes shown above.

Photobucket gives the option of resizing to 640 pixels as the next size up from 320 pixels and that's why the new size was chosen. Most of us here use Photobucket. However, you don't have to go up to that size. Photos can be be less than 640 pixels if it's thought sufficient for the photo content. File sizes can often be made less if you resize photos in an editing program before uploading them to Photobucket. Photo sizes can be varied to something below 640 pixels if desired and that would mean less file size and faster loading times. There are more options available in a photo editing program than are offered by Photobucket.

I've sometimes used 550 pixel photos in the 'larger photo' links, which I always feel is a good forum size. Photobucket don't offer that one though. Anyway, if you're into resizing, sharpening, cropping etc., use an editing program. If not, then just use the 640 pixel size offered as an option in Photobucket.

If everyone is happy with the new size and it stays, I don't think I'll ever have to edit another photo size, will I?

#424466 - Sat Jun 07 2008 02:27 AM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: tellywellies]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Perhaps we should save the larger size for photos we want to show more detail of and keep all the others the smaller size to save bandwidth.

#424467 - Sat Jun 07 2008 02:48 AM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: lady1]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

That sounds OK. The Photobucket allowance is generous, so I'm not sure if their limit would ever be a problem. It depends on if videos or other large files are kept there and viewed I suppose. But still, the option is there for the larger size if needed or preferred.

Looking at the Photobucket allowances: The storage space is 1 GB and the monthly bandwidth allowance is 200 GB.

#424468 - Sat Jun 07 2008 04:08 AM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: tellywellies]
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
Just a mention - Photobucket have an option to edit to any size - just delete 'keep proportions' and enter whatever you wish.

Photobucket do issue a warning prior to reaching limit. This happened to me once a couple of years ago and I just did some housekeeping and deleted old avatars. I store all my photos - about 10 sub accounts with slideshows and many large images and have had no problem recently.

I'm wondering if I do reach the limit, whether it would be possible to open a second account with a different email? Anyone tried that?

#424469 - Sat Jun 07 2008 06:27 AM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: lilyalli]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
I use Photobucket mainly for FT photo-a-day posts, and when I've wanted to show a link to a larger size have linked to either Webshots or Flickr. With the larger size now allowed, this will be no longer necessary, which saves a bit of time.
A disadvantage of the larger size image, is there are fewer images per page, necessitating tracking back more pages if you've not logged in for a few days.

#424470 - Sat Jun 07 2008 03:22 PM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: picqero]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Perhaps it will be generally better. We'll assess how the new size is going after it's been running a while.

#424471 - Sat Jun 07 2008 05:11 PM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: tellywellies]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Hooray!

I have just chosen a view which would have been very difficult to define any smaller, what good timing!

UN IPCC

#424472 - Sun Jun 08 2008 01:08 PM Re: New maximum photo size [Re: satguru]
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I must say I am loving this new sizing of the photos. Some of these show such detail and are just gorgeous! I would have them blown up, framed, and hung in my living room!

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy