Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#432344 - Mon Jul 28 2008 03:38 PM Fat women banned!
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
A nightclub here in Jersey is in the public eye at the moment as they have refused admission to a number of women as they were 'too fat' and not good to look at! Only fat women were banned, fat men were ok!

http://www5.channelonline.tv/news/templates/cinews2.aspx?articleid=15789&zoneid=1

Somehow I don't think this was a wise move, it isn't the only nightclub in town so I guess they will lose custom.

As a fatty myself I am not impressed.

#432345 - Mon Jul 28 2008 03:54 PM Re: Fat women banned! [Re: sue943]
lanfranco Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA          
I can't believe anyone would have the nerve to do this! Here in the States, the screaming would be heard coast to coast!

That said, I suspect that many clubs in the U.S., those that don't let in every potential customer, use size as a criterion when the doormen are deciding whom to admit and whom to turn away. They just don't say so openly.

I'm not a large woman myself, but I have generously-built friends and relatives. I would boycott any club that refused entry to them on the basis of their size. With luck, this place will be virtually deserted very soon.

#432346 - Mon Jul 28 2008 04:03 PM Re: Fat women banned! [Re: lanfranco]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
The manager has apologised and said he won't be doing it again. Do we detect the stench of cheap publicity?
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#432347 - Mon Jul 28 2008 04:21 PM Re: Fat women banned! [Re: lesley153]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

The nightclubs rely on local trade for year round business, that wouldn't have been done for the publicity, it will cost them regular customers who will just go to other clubs. Club goers are up in arms about it.

#432348 - Mon Jul 28 2008 04:53 PM Re: Fat women banned! [Re: sue943]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Then the only way to save the club will be to replace the manager. Silly man.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#432349 - Mon Jul 28 2008 06:53 PM Re: Fat women banned! [Re: lesley153]
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA Australia      
Its a little odd for sure. My experience with nightclubs, and I worked in a few in my time is that female patrons are generally considered a good thing. A club that has lots of females brings in lots of males, thats just the way things are. Bouncers will let any girls in, regardless of appearance or even questionable age but be considerably more diserning regarding male clients, at least thats the way it used to be in my day...

#432350 - Tue Jul 29 2008 12:30 AM Re: Fat women banned! [Re: quogequox]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
The whole thing left me gobsmacked. Not only the policy, but a couple of people on the clip. One called the police to check if it was legal - ye gods, does she think they've nothing better to do? Another trimmer lady had very kindly popped out of the club to check that her chubbier friends were OK, but didn't seem to extend her disgust to actually leaving the club!

#432351 - Tue Jul 29 2008 05:13 AM Re: Fat women banned! [Re: sue943]
dfc4385 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Barnegat New Jersey USA       
And what about the men? Seems to me that if the men were not banned from this club, the ladies would have cause for a discrimination law suit.

#432352 - Tue Jul 29 2008 07:38 AM Re: Fat women banned! [Re: dfc4385]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

The manager is also the owner so he will not be sacked. In the local newspaper he says that business is bad and some people had complained about the number of fat females so the ban was to try to help his business. I think he has helped it to do much worse.

Taking them to court isn't an option, the expense wouldn't be worth it and I don't think they have actually broken any laws. The owner of a private club has the right to refuse admission to whomsoever he wishes.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943