Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#441529 - Thu Oct 02 2008 01:08 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
My default rating wavers between average and good. I used to generally rate quizzes higher before stuthehistoryguy reset the standard of what was truly excellent with an exceptionally great quiz on Caddyshack.

I don't rate quizzes as poor or very poor all that often but there are a few reasons why I might. For instance:

- If it is really poorly written with errors as people mentioned above;

- It contains the phrases "This is should be easy" or "You should have gotten this one". I find that very irritating;

- There are blatant errors in the quiz;

- The questions are long winded to the point that the font has to be shrunken down just to fit into the question box.

Most of the times I run into this, though, is with the quizzes from around 2000-2001 or so when the standards were apparently much lower.

- William Blake

#441530 - Sun Nov 23 2008 10:23 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
Qmel Offline
Explorer

Loc: Eldridge IowaUSA
If a quiz is continually rated "Poor" or "Very Poor", is it taken off so that the author can improve on it?

#441531 - Sun Nov 23 2008 10:45 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
Washington USA
Quote:

If a quiz is continually rated "Poor" or "Very Poor", is it taken off so that the author can improve on it?

Nope! We might take it offline at the request of the quizwriter so that they can work on it, or we might take it offline if it's receiving lots of correction notes (one reason a quiz might be rated very poor). Those are both pretty rare events, however. We don't have a system in place for removing quizzes with bad ratings, and I personally don't think we should -- every quiz appeals to somebody, after all!

CellarDoor
Editor (Music, Humanities, Religion)

#441532 - Mon Nov 24 2008 04:56 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool DurhamEnglandUK
Plus quizzes can be rated poor/very poor for other reasons than being a "bad quiz" - some subjects are emotive and people vote with their "morals" or according to their personal views rather than on the actual crafting of the quiz.

#441533 - Mon Nov 24 2008 07:00 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
Sherry75 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
The only time I have rated a quiz poor has been when it has been littered with poor grammar and basic spelling mistakes. Also, on occasion, when it is poorly researched, or has incorrect data.

#441534 - Mon Nov 24 2008 07:44 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
They do drift to the bottom of their categories, though. In very large categories, this means that it is possible they will fall right off the end of the third page, and not be visible. More likely, the quizzes just go to the bottom of the list, and don't get much play.

#441535 - Mon Nov 24 2008 11:33 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
mutchisman Offline
Explorer

Loc: Birmingham UK
I've often wondered this - do all quizzes stay online indefinitely (assuming there's no unresolved C/Ns outstanding)?

#441536 - Mon Nov 24 2008 03:17 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich EnglandUK
Quote:

do all quizzes stay online indefinitely (assuming there's no unresolved C/Ns outstanding)?

Yes. We don't have a spring clean.

Editor

#441537 - Sat Dec 20 2008 12:34 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
EnglishJedi Offline
Participant

Loc: Southampton EnglandUK
I certainly use poor/very poor for quizzes with 'stupid' questions, no explanation of why a particular answer is correct (eg odd one out questions), poor grammar, and obnoxious comments such as 'here's an easy one' or 'hpe you didn't fall for...'.

I also downgrade quizzes with FITB answers when it seems the author simply could not be bothered to think of viable alternatives to offer.

I do rate excellent for quizzes with 'fresh' questions that make you think "I should know that but I haven't seen that question before". Sadly, those excellent ratings are fairly rare. I tend to rate good/average, with average reserved for quizzes packed with those questions you've already seen a hundred times.

If you weren't meant to use a 5-point scale, there wouldn't be five options.

Marc

#441538 - Sun Dec 21 2008 08:56 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
IcrPortugal Offline
Participant

Loc: Fort Wayne IndianaUSA
I use Good and Average the most, but I am not afraid to use the Poor rating. I think I have only rated 4 quizzes Very Poor though.

#441539 - Mon Jan 26 2009 07:32 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha NebraskaUSA
Quote:

My default rating wavers between average and good. I used to generally rate quizzes higher before stuthehistoryguy reset the standard of what was truly excellent with an exceptionally great quiz on Caddyshack.

Thanks, mate.

Edited by stuthehistoryguy (Mon Jan 26 2009 07:42 PM)

#441540 - Mon Jan 26 2009 08:44 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England�UK���...
Paige's comes closest to my approach to ratings. My default rating is good, and there is no correlation between my rating and my score.

If there are questions about blades of grass, and shirt colours, I may not even bother to finish the quiz.

I will also drop a rating for trick questions. Thank goodness they're rare.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#441541 - Mon Jan 26 2009 10:18 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
kitkat121080 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Philly PennsylvaniaUSA
I usually rate quizzes good but if I really enjoyed them, I will rate them excellent. Not to sound unfair or anything but I tend to rate my friends quizzes higher because I usually know about all the time and hard work they put into them.

I would never rate a quiz poor or very poor because it's just plain mean. Even if I don't agree with what the person says is the answer, I am sure they took time to create the quiz. I doubt the editors would let it go online with major errors or mistakes.

I also wish we could have a breakdown of ratings and it would be nice to see who rated them but I'm sure that would cause trouble so I doubt anyone else agrees with this.

#441542 - Sun Feb 01 2009 12:07 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
looney_tunes Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia
My default rating has gone down since I have taken so many quizzes - at the start, I was more impressed with some types of quiz than I am now after taking a zillion or so in the same vein. Also, my experience of writing quizzes has given me insight into how difficult/easy certain types of quiz are to construct. Most quizzes now are Average!

When a quiz seems to be innovative, and/or especially well researched and constructed, my rating does go up, of course, but Excellents are few and far between.

Poor (and very rarely Very Poor) ratings are given for quizzes that are carelessly constructed (for example, drop a letter and scramble quizzes which simply have an incorrect word that cannot be produced,) or contain lots of spelling and grammar errors, or have multiple factual inaccuracies, or (my pet peeve) insult me by telling me, either in the question or in the extra information, that the question about which I haven't a clue is "An easy one" or "If you don't know this, you shouldn't be taking this quiz". I often take quizzes in order to learn, not to boost my ego about what I already know!

#441543 - Tue Feb 03 2009 02:46 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
madkeen4 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Brisbane QueenslandAustralia
Personally, I'd like to see the *ratings* system brought into the crosswords, including the badge for 'X' amount of crosswords rated. Any one thoughts on that?

#441544 - Tue Feb 03 2009 02:53 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
madkeen4 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Brisbane QueenslandAustralia
I also agree with most of the above, particularly with regard to ambiguous question and little or no info, if I get a question wrong, I like to read info for a mental point of reference in the event I could get that question in the future, a much better chance of recall.
I've only written 2 quizzes though I like to inform, even educate with my information about the answer.

#441545 - Wed Feb 04 2009 12:06 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
PaulDrake Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Carolina USA
I haven't read very many of the comments here, so I can't really compare my methodology for rating a quiz to what other people might do. I must confess that I don't rate them as often as I used to, but when I do it is usually to rate it excellent. I really don't think there are that many poor or very poor quizzes on the site, but I do believe the editing leaves something to be desired. Rarely are my corrections answered, and I don't make one unless I feel I'm on firm ground. The quizzes I rate poor or very poor, and there aren't very many of them, tend to be ones that I feel are unnecessarily cheeky, or made deliberately difficult to stoke the ego of the quizmaker. Don't get me wrong, I could do lousy on a quiz and still give it a high rating.

#441546 - Wed Feb 04 2009 01:56 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
Washington USA
Quote:

Rarely are my corrections answered, and I don't make one unless I feel I'm on firm ground.

I know this is an aside from the main point, but please don't be disheartened by this. Many quiz authors reply to correction notes; many don't, either because they don't wish to or because they've long since left the site. All correction notes are reviewed by editors at some point, and the editors ensure that any necessary changes are made in the quiz -- but, due to volume, many find it impractical to reply to each and every correction note.

You may not receive an answer to a correction note, but they are valued and they do help us improve our quizzes and our site.

CellarDoor
Editor (Religion, Music, Humanities)

#441547 - Wed Feb 04 2009 04:05 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich EnglandUK
Quote:

I doubt the editors would let it go online with major errors or mistakes.

Many quizzes that I edit are on topics about which I have no previous knowledge.

Checking all the information given by quiz authors is simply not practical ... As far as I know, this is the case for all the editors. Obviously, if I find something that seems implausible or that doesn't make sense, I would query it, but all the editors depend heavily on quiz authors doing their own research properly. When checking correction notices I have found valid corrections on matters of factual accuracy.

Please do not assume that because an answer is online on this site it is necessarily accurate.

FT Editor, History and People

#441548 - Fri Feb 06 2009 08:44 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha NebraskaUSA
Quote:

Quote:

I doubt the editors would let it go online with major errors or mistakes.

Many quizzes that I edit are on topics about which I have no previous knowledge.

Checking all the information given by quiz authors is simply not practical ... As far as I know, this is the case for all the editors. Obviously, if I find something that seems implausible or that doesn't make sense, I would query it, but all the editors depend heavily on quiz authors doing their own research properly. When checking correction notices I have found valid corrections on matters of factual accuracy.

Absolutely. That is where the value of correction notices comes in. All you players out there: if you think an answer is wrong, check a reputable source. If the source agrees with your findings, send the CN with your citation. Good quiz authors (and editors, in the authors' absence) respect these, and corrections help make this a better site.

#441549 - Sat Feb 07 2009 07:47 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: OhioUSA
What, if anything, applies to a situation like this one? I recently played a new quiz and wanted to check a question I had gotten incorrect. I went to 'wiki', I realize not the most reliable source, but it is usually the one I go to first, purely out of convenience. Well, the quiz, with the exception of maybe 2/10 questions, looked as if it was taken verbatim from the wiki article.
While the source was cited in the interesting info, I felt the quiz was more or less thrown together and bordered on plagiarization. While I have no quizzes online myself, it would certainly be easy enough to write one, quite quickly, by this same method.

#441550 - Sat Feb 07 2009 08:29 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Send a note to an editor in this category. We check for this kind of thing, but sometimes one gets by us. And, yeah - even if it skirted the edge of plagiarism enough to get by the editor, I would give a quiz like this a "poor" rating.

I'd like quiz raters not to get too caught up in a "the editor put it online so it must be good" mentality. Sometimes a quiz will have nothing technically wrong with it, so an editor really has no choice but to put it online. It can still be bland, boring, and hard for the wrong reasons.

#441551 - Sat Feb 07 2009 09:31 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: OhioUSA
Thank you, agony, and I believe I did in fact give it a "poor" rating (one of a very few I have ever given) because of that. I'll do what you suggested.

#441552 - Wed Feb 18 2009 02:36 PM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
zeb43 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Maine USA
I generally rate good if the effort is there, though occasionally I see what I think is great and what I think is poor.
There's one currently under the "popular" tab where there were 2 questions asking who played a certain character in a movie that's been made more than once, and in those 2 instances the originals that the author wasn't asking about how much more highly regarded.
And the follow-up info was quite minimal and did not mention those movies were remakes.

#441553 - Fri Feb 20 2009 06:38 AM Re: Poor/Very Poor ratings?
tnrees Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Taunton SomersetUK
I usualy give Good. I have never given a very poor & very rarely a poor.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  agony