Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#446158 - Sun Nov 02 2008 01:00 PM What does your garden grow?
janetgool Offline
Explorer

Loc: Israel
What do you grow in your garden? We have a few types of citrus trees (orange, lemon, and pomella) as well as apple and and olive. Today I put up 15 kilos of olives, and I can't get the smell out of my hands! Shalom, Janet

#446159 - Sun Nov 02 2008 01:47 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
We have a few water problems at the moment so the only thing growing is a few tomato plants in pots.
Oh a a few cactus things which I just can't kill no matter how hard I try.

#446160 - Sun Nov 02 2008 01:52 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Copago]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I grow what many gardens grow -- weeds! Especially now with the cooler weather coming on.

#446161 - Tue Nov 04 2008 05:54 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jar]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Lol Jar! It is the time of year to plant vegetables now but have been slow this year. Usually have tomatoes (everywhere) but last year I planted beans and gem squash (small round green squash) and they did very well. Still searching for the right type of beans - one day I will get the ones I am looking for.

#446162 - Tue Nov 04 2008 06:47 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: lady1]
romeomikegolf Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
At this time of the year all my garden grows is mud. Then the dogs very helpfully bring it in to the house.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#446163 - Tue Nov 04 2008 06:57 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: romeomikegolf]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I usually grow green green beans, tomatoes, lettuce and courgettes in my (micro) vegetable plot, and have also grown onions, scallions, shallotts and chili peppers successfully.

I have thyme, rosemary, chives and parsley all the time, as well as bay laurel.

When it's in season my rhubarb does reasonably well, and this year we had a small crop of apples from the young apple tree, two peaches and a couple of plums. The raspberry bushes have started to thrive and the black and redcurrants do well until the birds eat the fruit. I grow strawerries in containters to try keep the snails at bay. The crop isn't much - (just a couple of berries a day during the summer season)

Right now, however, it's autumn. The vegetable plot is full of weeds, the bushes are in need of pruning, the fruit trees are looking pretty tired and the compost heap is looking pretty sorry for itself. (The words putrid mess spring to mind, though it's not (yet) reached the rotten stage)

Time to get the mud boots out again and roll up the sleeves, methinks.

#446164 - Tue Nov 04 2008 11:43 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Santana2002]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
This year we grew tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, zucchini, cabbage, carrots, radishes, corn, and mini pumpkins. Now it's time to clean out the dead vines and get ready for next year. I've got most of the seeds I want, figured I'd stock up while they were on sale. The orchard didn't do well this year but I have plans to fix that next year.

#446165 - Tue Nov 04 2008 11:39 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
All your veg plots sound splendid! I am proud of you all! Janet, I would love some of your olives,and some of Santana and Rayven's veg and fruit wouldn't go amiss.
I do not have much room, and tend to only grow flowers and fruit trees. We have a few nice orchids, lots of bourgainvillae, two or three lychee trees and some mangos. We grow kumquats too. Oh and my pride(s) and joy(s): a firecracker vine, grown from a twig, which is covered in blossoms at CNY and a curry bush which also grew from a stick and is very useful in cooking. There is a bit of mint and rosemary and some struggling lavender. I wish I could get that to flower. <Sigh> it's not very impressive really, but most people here do not have a garden at all, so I am lucky.

#446166 - Thu Nov 06 2008 12:47 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Plums, apricots, pears, roses, carnations, and lots and lots of weeds. We also have a frangipani stick - it hasn't grown into a tree yet, despite the several years it's been sitting in the ground.

#446167 - Thu Nov 06 2008 03:01 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: The_lioness33]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Ren, I saw lychee trees in one of my books. They sound delicious but of course won't grow here. We need pretty things too. It's amazing what people can produce with little ground.

#446168 - Thu Nov 06 2008 04:18 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
They are delicious and our trees do quite well:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/rensara/DSC00799.jpg

#446169 - Fri Nov 07 2008 07:44 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I have a lemon tree and lots of herbs including thyme, basil, lavender, sage, marjoram and rosemary. Not illustrious.

#446170 - Sat Nov 08 2008 09:56 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Bruyere]
janetgool Offline
Explorer

Ren, you are welcome to olives anytime! I'm at the other end of Asia from you. Shalom, Janet

#446171 - Tue Nov 18 2008 08:27 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Everyone says our garden is good but I'd say it isn't looked after particularly well. It's mostly lawn but also has a mixture of trees, shrubs, raspberry bushes and wild blackberries (thorns). I can't name most of the plants out there. It has a bit of a wild area too. A few weeds and an area left uncultivated is good for wildlife. Looking out at the garden now, it looks very friendly to wildlife

#446172 - Tue Nov 18 2008 04:36 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: tellywellies]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Mostly weeds.

#446173 - Wed Nov 19 2008 12:13 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
queproblema Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kenny Lake Alaska USA     
In November??

I see "garden" here means different things--yard, flowers, vegetables, fruits....

In any case, all I have is about a foot and half of snow. No garden of any kind till May. Maybe some grass in April.

#446174 - Wed Nov 19 2008 05:16 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: queproblema]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

to be honest there are some plants and shrubs too and a number of them are still in bloom including fuchsias, plumbago, cape daisies and even some lobelia plus others. Normally fuchsias can be in flower (just a few) through until the spring when they are sometimes pruned.

I really need to do some pruning and weeding, my jasmine is really huge and needs to be hacked back before it completely takes over.

#446175 - Wed Nov 19 2008 06:44 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Kingsville VIC Australia
Due to water restrictions, my garden survives largely on "grey" water, from bath and laundry, so I must be careful about the brand and quantity of detergent I use. A shower of rain is a cleansing bonus.
I'm growing peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini. In a back corner I planted melon vines which can scramble freely without interfering with other plants. Under the roses in my front garden I'm considering putting unusual vegies such as black kale and tomatillos.
The prolonged dry spell has been cruel to plants such as azaleas and rhododendrons, but the Australian flowering shrubs, particularly correas, are thriving and provide food and shelter for the nectar-feeding birds.

#446176 - Sat Nov 22 2008 07:29 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: auntie1]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
During the summer - hollyhocks, iris, daisies and tiger lily (as you can tell, I am not one to do any garden work) Right now, though, only snow and the odd frozen bits of things I didn't clean up well enough.

#446177 - Mon Dec 29 2008 05:38 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
Sinned2471 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jersey City
New Jersey USA
This year it was tomatoes both beefsteak & cherry, peppers (orange), strawberries, figs, dahlias, roses, snapdragons, pansies, mums, jasmine, azaleas, tulips, lilies, ivy, and lavender.

#446178 - Wed Apr 29 2009 10:59 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Sinned2471]
cowdunking Offline
Explorer

Loc: Black Creek <br>BC Canada
I usually grow things that the deer end up eating. Aside from a higher fence, which I can't afford, any suggestions on how to keep them out?

#446179 - Wed Apr 29 2009 11:53 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: cowdunking]
Copago Offline

I'm not likely to have problems with deer but I did read in a craft forum I belong to about people who had deer eating their gardens .. I will send you the link to it but just for the 'ewww' value of the Fters one of the suggestions was to get the man of the house to go and start marking his territory!

#446180 - Thu Apr 30 2009 02:06 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Copago]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Quote:

to get the man of the house to go and start marking his territory!

At least it is cheap and worth a try.

I planted sweet potatoes, they were growing nicely and last week the moles came along and ate them all. Perhaps I should get the man of the house out there to help.

#446181 - Fri May 01 2009 10:48 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: lady1]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
Quote:

I usually grow things that the deer end up eating. Aside from a higher fence, which I can't afford, any suggestions on how to keep them out?

My brother, who lives on Vancouver Island, uses and swears by the following method. He takes a bar or three of Irish Spring hand soap, cuts them into fairly good size slivers, puts each sliver into an old onion bag (old pantihose works as well) and hangs the bags around the perimeter of his garden. It works for him! Not sure why, but it must be Irish Spring soap, no other works.

#446182 - Sat May 02 2009 06:24 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: MadMags]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Potatoes, carrots, leeks, various lettuces, onions. shallots, cauliflower,peas, strawberries, blueberries. Oddly enough, no one likes tomatoes, so I don't bother with them.
I also have a large selection of herbs.

I'm not going to list all the non-edibles, it would take far too long. The Weald of Sussex is a good place for growing things, the downside is that the slugs round here are the size of anacondas.

#446183 - Sat May 02 2009 06:55 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Having just this moment come in with an aching back I have to say it grows grass and weeds, and brambles. All I did just now was cut the grass, not even strimmed the edges. I will need to spray the brambles and pull some weeds fairly soon.

#446184 - Sat May 02 2009 08:15 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Hmmm sounds like you are getting that garden ready for a visitor again Sue.

#446185 - Sat May 02 2009 08:31 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: lady1]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Nah, just stopping it getting so long that it is hard work to cut.

#446186 - Sat May 02 2009 09:22 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm hoping to plant next Saturday. I am a little disappointed because I started a lot of things in the house and they were doing so well but with the weather getting colder this week we weren't able to plant. Many things I started in the house are dying.

#446187 - Sat May 02 2009 12:35 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
janetgool Offline
Explorer

We're having a water shortage here, so our grass looks awful, but the trees are doing surprisingly well! We just planted a grape vine - too early to say how it is doing.

#446188 - Sat May 02 2009 12:49 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I just bought three small Coleus plants and will go back for Sweet Potato vines when they come in, then will put them all in the front plot in about three weeks.

I'm hoping to see my Hostas come up before we move, I hate the idea of someone else getting to enjoy my garden other than me!

#446189 - Sun May 03 2009 09:45 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: BurgGurl]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Tulips are just opening - first one today. I dislike gardening, so everything here is a perennial - hollyhocks are starting to poke themselves out of the ground, as are peonies. Irises well up.

I'd like to grow a small patch (3 feet by 6 feet, say), of carrots, but the thought of digging up well established lawn for it is daunting. Such a small patch would be constantly in danger of being taken over again by the grass, unless I put far more work into it than I want to. Well, I still have about a month before I have to make up my mind, can't plant anything here until the end of May, especially this year as spring is late.

#446190 - Sun May 03 2009 10:12 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Agony, think about a raised bed. You can buy the panels prefabricated, and the grass can't take over easily.
I've edged my two raised wooden beds with copper strips, which seems to put off the slugs.

#446191 - Sun May 03 2009 11:56 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
agony Online   content

Administrator

That might do it - all I really want are carrots.

#446192 - Tue May 05 2009 04:06 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
trangie Offline
Participant

Loc: NSW Australia
Running a farm I grow all sorts of stuff - wheat, canola etc. It's my garden that suffers - can anyone tell me how to revive a sunburnt staghorn? It is still partly alive on one side.

#446193 - Tue May 05 2009 09:47 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: trangie]
ysmay Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
One thing I miss here in the city is not having my garden. I was never too big on growing vegetables, but I loved doing flowers (more than they loved me, unfortunately). I had a great little shade garden, though, with coleus and hostas (plantain lilies) and lily of the valley and some annuals that I loved. So I miss hands in the dirt.

Agony, I grew up in Saskatchewan and I always got so impatient waiting for the Queen's Birthday weekend in May before I planted. I learned the hard way - I planted early and ended up with snow on my petunias.

There are lots of flowers and produce here, but it's not the same as planting and nurturing your own.

Y

#446194 - Tue May 05 2009 10:17 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: trangie]
MarchHare007 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

Hi trangie,
I know that feeling!

Is your stag board or tree mounted?
If on a board and small enough to move, put it in a shallow hole in a protected spot - enough to 'tuck in in' with compost around it - not soil as it will affect your board and wiring, soak it well and leave it till you see some new shields forming; shouldn't take long with the cooler weather.

If on a tree - I've packed mine with cocoa peat or moss and soaked it slowly.
Twice I've relocated one to get the right aspect - south to south easterly seems perfect.
They Do usually come back.

It's been hard to even keep shade over some areas after the scorching days fried overhead protection from normally protected plants.

My magnolias are happily budding - they're bald but happy!
The lavenders weren't weeded around and have survived the 46C days we had very well - now they'll probably die of root rot or something similar!
The fruit trees are starting to rest after being fried and anything else that isn't losing leaves to sleep is relaxing in the coolness.
My herbs have Gone Nuts!

#446195 - Wed May 06 2009 01:17 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: MarchHare007]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Quote:

can anyone tell me how to revive a sunburnt staghorn? It is still partly alive on one side.

I was going to say put an umbrella over it.

#446196 - Thu May 07 2009 06:17 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: lady1]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Quote:

The lavenders weren't weeded around and have survived the 46C days we had very well - now they'll probably die of root rot or something similar!

Oh I envy you to have got so far with your Lavender!
I get so far, they grow to quite nice bushy plants , then I lose heart as they never seem to flower. Then they die of heat or wet root.
The roses are lovely this year, my helper is a genius at grafting, so we have lots of new ones. Then the orchids have really bloomed well, even though I abuse them terribly.

#446197 - Fri May 08 2009 02:29 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

I forgot to say oak trees.
My son wanted his own forest and planted a dozen acorns in my front flowerbed a few years ago.
They all survived, the forest is about a metre tall now.
I've talked him into sneaking up to the Ashdown Forest and planting them there in the autumn, otherwise I'm going to have problems in another thirty years or so.

#446198 - Sat May 09 2009 09:31 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

We planted three new grapevines and four blueberry bushes. We got the garden expanded and the ditch dug out so now it's just down to getting plants and doing the planting.

#446199 - Sat Jun 13 2009 02:56 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I have a Master Gardener certificate, and in my "other life" (besides my full time job which has nothing to do with growing things) I do consulting and plot plans...soooo, of course, my personal yard looks like a neglected jungle of weeds for most of the growing season (which, here in Edmonton, lasts no more than 3 months when you add snow, drought, hail and untimely hard frosts into the equation!)

I feel like the person who is a carpenter for a living, but whose own cupboards are falling off the walls LOL.

I'd hire a garden/cabana boy in a heartbeat, but somehow I don't think hubby would approve <giggles>

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Jun 13 2009 03:02 PM)

#446200 - Sat Jun 13 2009 04:45 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
I have recently moved into a new house and haven't started on a garden in my new place yet. My old place had a huge garden but my new yard is much smaller so I think I will end up just grow a few vegetables in pots and plant a few flowers out the front.

I won't worry about it to spring which is months away.

#446201 - Sat Jun 13 2009 07:02 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Kuu]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
I'm in the process of tearing everything up so I can start it over. There are some box shrubs in front of the house I'm keeping, but I pulled up the stones (walkway) and I'm killing weeds first, then tilling it up and putting mulch in. I have found during my digging that a previous owner had a gravel walkway there and then let the grass grow over it. ARGH!

I'm not ready for a flower garden yet... I'll need someone to handle that for me. I have such a black thumb.

#446202 - Mon Jun 15 2009 05:33 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
At the moment, only dust. Our garden is a dumping ground for our builders who are in the process of adding a new story to the top of our house so we won't have a useable garden this summer

#446203 - Wed Jun 17 2009 02:25 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Snowman]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

We've had massive amounts of rain lately and two big hail storms. We're planning on replacing 5 cabbage, 4 peppers and at least 4 tomatoes. Our concern now is that things don't rot.

#446204 - Wed Jun 17 2009 04:33 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Well we've eaten some of the lettuce which we planted earlier in the year, have tasted the early raspberries and one or two strawberries, have harvested a couple of handfulls of red and black currants, lots of parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme and laurel.

Tonight we dined on freshly dug potatoes - a first time ever for me to eat homegrown. I couldn't possibly comment on their relative tastiness - an hour at the beach beforehand had built up a healthy appetite, and I can but be subjective about the quality of MY OWN HOME GROWN spuds They were DE-LI-CIOUS!!!

Looking forward to green and butter beans and courgettes later in the year, and hopefully a tomato harvest (the last two years have been a washout for the tomatoes).

I have peaches starting in the peach tree, and one of my baby plum trees is going to yield a little this year. Gardening is definitely not for the impatient (although I am an impatient person, normally).

We only have a small yard, so only harvest a small crop. However, I am constantly surprised at just how much variety we can get out of our little parcel of earth. We may only eat a half a dozen meals from our garden, but those few make all the work worthwhile. There's nothing more satisfying than reaping the rewards of all that earlier preparation and attention.

#446205 - Tue Jun 23 2009 01:06 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Santana2002]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

It hailed again last night. Several things are completely destroyed. The peas will be picked tonight to avoid any further damage but nothing else is close to ready. When I heard it hailing last night, I couldn't even cry anymore. Very depressing.

#446206 - Tue Nov 17 2009 05:19 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

I imagine it's currently summer somewhere so does anyone have a garden going? we're up to our ankles in snow so I'm planning on living vicariously through those who are currently growing things.

#446207 - Sun Nov 29 2009 06:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
I'm picking raspberries at the moment. I have one bush, but have dug up some of the runners and transplanted them to another part of the garden, so should have a good sized patch in a while.

I threw an overripe tomato in the garden a couple of weeks ago and scuffed some earth over it that has turned into many seedlings which I really should thin out this week. My potatoes are going great guns (first time I've planted potatoes). I'd dug a trench for them, which is now hilled up. They should be ready in a couple of months. The cherry tomatoes are finished, but I see where some seedlings are coming up again.

The nice thing about living in a rainforest country, is for seven months of the year we get four hours of rain a day, so no need to water. We are approaching the dry season soon (called summer, even though we're in the northern hemisphere) so will need to use the hose on a daily basis soon.

edited to add: Just picked the first of the oranges yesterday, yum, fresh squeezed juice!

Edited by MadMags (Sun Nov 29 2009 06:13 PM)

#446208 - Sun Nov 29 2009 06:30 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: MadMags]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
We had a very hot, dry summer, so the garden is only recovering at present. The amaryllis plants are always so rewarding, and are blooming now. We have lots of gerbera as always. I give these last two plenty of room and care as they are so brave.

#446209 - Mon Nov 30 2009 06:29 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Got mainly bottlebrush, banksias, grevilleas and melaleucas to bring birds into the garden.
My veges survive on my washing water - tomatoes, capsicum & pumpkins, plus what are called jam melons. The strawberries are nearly ripe, the parrots are massacring the apricots, and the mulberries should be right for Xmas.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#446210 - Mon Nov 30 2009 08:59 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: tezza1551]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Man you all make me jelous! I would be cooking jam until it came out of my ears if I had your fruit.

#566962 - Tue Nov 16 2010 06:39 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
funnygirl Offline
Participant

I only have a balcony! So my small garden consists of herbs like basil, oregano, pairsley...and some flowers that my new found stray kitten has his eye on!

#566978 - Tue Nov 16 2010 08:45 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: funnygirl]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Mid November on the Canadian prairies? Rock hard frozen ground with a little skiff of snow on it, and dead branches poking through. We've been having a gorgeous late fall, but it's still winter here now, or at least what most of you would consider winter (we're revelling in our good luck - I still haven't brought out the snow shovels, and haven't had to plug my car in once.)

#567009 - Tue Nov 16 2010 10:52 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

I think that the 70's in November made up for the 40s in June, but we still haven't had enough snow or rain yet. We added four peach trees and a plum tree to the orchard. People kept asking for my Christmas wish list, since I couldn't come up with anything I put my fruit plants and seeds on it. Happy gardening for those in warmer parts of the world!

#567152 - Tue Nov 16 2010 03:36 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
C30 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
Living just 1/2 mile from coast, what little top soil there is, gets mixed with sand and blown away......bit like being UK answer to "Arkansas Dustbowl". So what is growing? Answer, very little. Havn't tried Cactus though, might do well!
Originating from the fertile East Anglian farmlands, I do find gardening here a very frustrating occupation!

#567328 - Tue Nov 16 2010 08:21 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: C30]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I just planted 40 big pom-pom orange Marigolds in a thirty foot front border. I want bright red Salvia to go behind them but they are dang hard to come by (Darn kids wanting to smoke or tea the leaves). I may have to grow my own but they'll be way behind in growth. Hmmm, I could do a succession planting of the Marigolds around February to peak with the home grown Salvia (red wanted but purple would do on a thirty foot line with the orange.) but I need something with color that'll get to 1-2 ft high now (Verbena? haven't seen any in the garden centers). The fuscia/red Bog'villa in the middle rear is coming into cloud like blossoming which should last until next March. I just cut down a six foot high Monstrous cut leaf Philodendron plant (four babies growing). The woody stem/stock weighs about 150 pounds and is almost ten inches in diameter. The leaf pattern in the wood is like bird's eye maple, Now I need to find homes for the babies. Anyone care to adopt a huge house plant? The leaves get to two feet long!

#568160 - Thu Nov 18 2010 10:59 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Veggie garden has taken off like you would not believe! Rocket, bok choy, cucumbers [apple and burpless], and shallots are just about ready for the first picking. Eggplant, corn, chilli, capsicum, radishes are all doing well. Pumpkin, watermelon, and canteloupes are all about to take off around the backyard. Dwarf beans, snow peas, strawberries and celery all doing well but still a way to go before picking. Tomatoes [4 different types] all flowering but not fruiting yet. All this on severe water restrictions, so a lot of hand watering from the whopping great rainwater tank I have. Oh yep, rhubarb was grand this year and the cherry tree looks to produce quite well if I can keep the local birds [and kids] away from it. The veggie patch is interspersed with marigolds and tansy to keep the pests away and quite near to a hedge of italian lavender and row of fragrant roses which are in full bloom. Quite spectacular! Methinks I like the garden a little too much!

#568301 - Fri Nov 19 2010 01:52 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina    ...
You're all making me jealous as well! Hehe. Humbugs, how nice that you can grow all those beautiful vegetables and flowers smile I would love to have a little garden, but I live in a building and although there's a balcony in the apartment that's not small at all, it's not big enough to have a garden. My mom does have some beautiful plants though.

Gardens are so pretty to look at!

Edited by minkpenny (Fri Nov 19 2010 01:53 PM)

#568406 - Fri Nov 19 2010 07:27 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: minkpenny]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Minkpenny, there are benefits beyond the pleasure of viewing the garden. There is a sense of accomplishment to having been responsible for some growth. Even living in an apartment shouldn't deprive you of that reward. Look around your community for opportunities to brighten a dreary corner somewhere and take responsibility for its nurture (Ask permission first of course). Some churches up here run community gardens where help is always available and space available too. You just have to go out of your way to get there usually. Again, look around for opportunities. Civic organizations also like to do sprucing up with plantings. Good luck.

#568421 - Fri Nov 19 2010 08:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

I'm planting a flower garden smile

Today I weeded the patch of dirt...tomorrow I will fertilise it.
Any suggestions for which flowers to plant? I'd like them to be able to be picked and put in a vase, and to be able to survive 40C+ temperatures (Australian summer coming up)

Also wondering whether veggies will grow nicely with the flowers?

#568430 - Fri Nov 19 2010 08:51 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: The_lioness33]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Roses and Lavender are the main plants I have around the veggie patch but I'm also a bit of a trial and error girl as well. There's an awful lot to chose from at the moment ... you could try Chrysanthemums, Asters, Zinnias, Marigolds, Daisies ... anything really. It also depends on what type you want to plant as well! Herbs, Natives, Bulbs, etc, etc. The thing is to get it pretty much established before our hot weather really kicks in and make sure everything is mulched well.
I've got Marigolds planted between various veggies just to keep the white moths and other bugs away and they seem to work well plus they look quite nice when in bloom.
Best bet is just to take a trip down to your local nursery and see what's around.

Hope you let us know how it goes for you!

Sighs ... can feel another Bunning's run coming on!

#568435 - Fri Nov 19 2010 09:00 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Or from seed Zinnias make beautiful many colored Daisy type displays in the cut arrangement. The marogolds can be mixed in if you use floral wire to lengthen the stem on the blossoms(That's about all you can pick on the marigold without damaging the plant itself - in fact 'deadheading', the removal of blooms, encourages more blossoms on them)
If you can afford the bulbs/corms, the many new varieties of Dahlias are breathtaking and they will last a while when cut. Margarites and asters are wonderful later in the season, but you must start them now.
If you want greens besides the herbs and mints to mix in your arrangements, a shady spot can be used to grow Maidenhair fern. Many mistakenly plant asparagus fern to use like maidenhair, but the asparagus fern is an invasive weed in the garden and has skin tearing thorns on it. Avoid at all costs. Boston Fern leaves are nice in arrangements.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Nov 19 2010 09:07 PM)

#568460 - Sat Nov 20 2010 12:31 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Argentina    ...
Originally Posted By: mehaul
Minkpenny, there are benefits beyond the pleasure of viewing the garden. There is a sense of accomplishment to having been responsible for some growth. Even living in an apartment shouldn't deprive you of that reward. Look around your community for opportunities to brighten a dreary corner somewhere and take responsibility for its nurture (Ask permission first of course).

You're very right, mehaul smile Knowing that you helped in the growth of a vegetable or flower or plants must be so rewarding. Those are really good ideas, thank you! I'll find out and see if I can do something like that. Thanks again smile

#568464 - Sat Nov 20 2010 01:18 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: humbugs
Roses and Lavender are the main plants I have around the veggie patch but I'm also a bit of a trial and error girl as well. There's an awful lot to chose from at the moment ... you could try Chrysanthemums, Asters, Zinnias, Marigolds, Daisies ... anything really. It also depends on what type you want to plant as well! Herbs, Natives, Bulbs, etc, etc. The thing is to get it pretty much established before our hot weather really kicks in and make sure everything is mulched well.
I've got Marigolds planted between various veggies just to keep the white moths and other bugs away and they seem to work well plus they look quite nice when in bloom.
Best bet is just to take a trip down to your local nursery and see what's around.

Hope you let us know how it goes for you!

Sighs ... can feel another Bunning's run coming on!

I was intending to put Marigolds near the tomatoes mum wants me to grow...

Other than that, I'll have a look at what's in Bunnnings...I was there this morning buying some gloves. Looks like I'm going back again.

#568502 - Sat Nov 20 2010 05:59 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: The_lioness33]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Heh! Now you just have to pick which tommies you want [or need]!

#568648 - Sat Nov 20 2010 04:55 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
agony Online   content

Administrator

I wouldn't chose marigolds as a 'put in a vase' flower, unless you have different ones down there from ours. They are lovely in the garden, and do a good job of keeping down the pests, but one of the reasons they keep bugs away is their smell. Quite medicinal, not too nice in the house.

#568655 - Sat Nov 20 2010 05:26 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The smell is in the leaves mostly. The aroma from the bloom smells quite 'flower shoppy' or 'funeral parlory' 5 minutes after picking! as I am experiencing right now on a bloom I picked 10 minutes ago.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 20 2010 05:28 PM)

#568657 - Sat Nov 20 2010 05:38 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Absolutely right agony and that's the main reason why I mentioned them. They really do look good in the garden at the moment and do a fine job keeping most of the bugs away. Just like Nasturtiums they will self seed next year which is always a great signal for me to get busy in the garden.

#568706 - Sat Nov 20 2010 09:35 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Minkpenny,
Often libraries are strapped for personel to tend to gardens (if they even have them) Your local library may, if not use you as a resource, suggest places to do some growing. I used to have a beer can, top cut out that I rigged a wire coat hanger holder for, hung from the dash vents of my VW bug and grew a beautiful Lobelia in. If you drive in a car everyday, you could grow a plant in it.

#568958 - Sun Nov 21 2010 10:23 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Argentina    ...
There's a park four blocks away from my house called "Reader's Park", as it is next to the National Library. Now that you mentioned libraries, mehaul, I'm thinking maybe something can be done over there. Thanks again for your ideas smile

#568959 - Sun Nov 21 2010 10:29 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: minkpenny]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

As of tomorrow, my garden will grow:
Tomatoes
Marigolds
Portulaca
Verbena
Phlox.

Basically, I went to Bunnings and picked the prettiest ones.

#568977 - Mon Nov 22 2010 12:59 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: The_lioness33]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Good luck and be sure to use plenty of that black composted cow stuff. It will add nutrients and if what you folks say about the summer weather there, it'll help hold moisture in the soil as well.
I might opt for the Verbenas too since I can't find the Salvia I wanted.

#569129 - Mon Nov 22 2010 03:55 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
agony Online   content

Administrator

I'm vermicomposting these days, which gives a lot of good rich compost, too - especially if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and so have lots to feed them.

I have one batch of worms at home, and one at work. Since I'm living alone now, the colony at home is growing quite slowly, and not churning out much compost. The one at work, on the other hand, is just booming! A daycare yields an awful lot of banana peels, apple cores, and melon rinds.

This is a great winter idea, when outdoor composting doesn't do much because of the cold. Takes up about four cubic feet, and if you do it right there is no smell or flies. Can sit in a cupboard or in the basement quite happily.

Here's an indication of why I'm not doing any gardening for at least five months:

Current Conditions

Observed at: Wainwright CFB 2:00 PM MST Monday 22 November 2010

Temperature:
-21.5°C

Pressure / Tendency:
102.7 kPa / rising

Humidity:
81%

Wind Chill:

Dew Point:
-23.9°C

Wind Speed:
NNE 17 km/h

Forecast

Issued: 11:00 AM MST Monday 22 November 2010

Today:
Periods of light snow ending late this afternoon then cloudy. Wind becoming north 20 km/h early this afternoon. Temperature steady near minus 21. Wind chill minus 32.

Tonight:
Cloudy. Clearing after midnight. Low minus 30.

Tuesday:
Sunny. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 24. Wind chill minus 39.

Wednesday:
Sunny. Low minus 31. High minus 22.

Thursday:
A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 24. High minus 10.

#569148 - Mon Nov 22 2010 04:55 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I'M sure we'll get cold eventually here,
but right now for the next few days,11 Celsius
and rain.:)

#570093 - Thu Nov 25 2010 09:12 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

At present, you cannot see my garden as it is covered in snow. Two days ago, with windchill factored in, it was MINUS 41 degrees Celsius. I had to use a hair dryer/blower to get my car doors open that day (wasn't just the LOCKS, the doors themselves were frozen shut).

Today, however, it went up to plus 2C. Which is good, since we're hosting the Grey Cup (championship gridiron football game in this country for those of you who are not Canadians) and the weather is supposed to "hold" til Sunday.

If you like a good dose of unpredictability and change with your weather, this is a good place to live. Personally (as far as gardening goes) I'd rather move to somewhere like New Zealand, where there is about four "growing seasons" in a year lol

#570374 - Sat Nov 27 2010 04:36 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
humbugs Offline
Participant

I may whinge about the heat sometimes when it gets to 45C but I definitely do not envy you folk in the northern hemisphere with your cold weather!

lioness33 I'm glad you got your garden planted, it seemed a nice little collection and I hope it grows well for you. The rain we've had should help it along nicely!

#570394 - Sat Nov 27 2010 07:42 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Big day tomorrow, Jakeroo! I'll be in town today visiting my kids, hope the football crowds don't mean traffic will be bad.

#570495 - Sat Nov 27 2010 07:43 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Two months of searching and I could not find the red Salvia to back my orange PomPom Marigolds. So I went and got what I was sure would offend Agony's sense of smell. I now have Marigolds and Geraniums! They will get higher than the marigolds but not as high as the salvia would have been. I got the red color that I wanted and it is probably the most reliably sucessful plant to watering and cultivation abuse in the last hundred years, a real performer. Red Zonal Geraniums or as some Kew followers call them, Cranesbill for the shape the little seed pod takes after the blossom has gone by. but the smell bad stuff again is in the leaves. a flower cluster will go nice in an indoor arrangement. I hope you have an exciting Grey Cup Game to watch and enjoy. Did I mention I'm a BC(college)/Boston/Doug Flutie fan? people in Boston Know what Grey Cup is! Why not run a CFL franchise down there (the New England Whales or the Near Down Under)?
I see the Halftime entertainment will be provided this year by Bachman and Turner, somebody shift to overdrive! Sounds like fun.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 27 2010 07:56 PM)

#570688 - Sun Nov 28 2010 04:04 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Mehaul: You mean Flutie the Cutie? lol (sorry, I realize he's probably not your type). And LOL on the BTO reference, sometimes you are too funny : )

As for the "garden", it's certainly toast, but some of things I bought in the fall that never got planted (namely a Lenten Rose and a clematis) are blooming like crazy (I'm sure they will be VERY confused when I put them in the ground come spring lol). My gardenia (which CANNOT be left outside here, ever) is about to bloom and my "Christmas cactus" has buds on it (apparently, right on time). The poinsettias I've nurtured for over two years are looking splendid, if I do say so myself (I must remember to post a pic on the photo section).

#581303 - Thu Dec 30 2010 01:50 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

okay, here are my "babies" that I've been nurturing. Only had to buy one "new" one this year:

(edited to move picture to December photos)

Edited by Jakeroo (Thu Dec 30 2010 07:22 PM)

#581318 - Thu Dec 30 2010 02:30 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Very impressive! It must have been quite a task to move them in and out of light each day to set blooms on them. Can I guess on the new one? I pick the variegated pink mid left side.
We plant them outdoors in Florida after the holidays. The longest I've kept one going is five years it got to be a yard diameter dome of red (Had to put a refrigerator box over it to get blooms started. But what you show here is grand! well done.

#581327 - Thu Dec 30 2010 03:09 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Well thanks mehaul : ) As you know, they need equal amounts (12 hours) of light and dark to get them to bloom again. I let them do whatever they want to until late summer (just basically keep them alive lol) then I torture them in the basement in a room without windows, but which has grow lights installed. I'm very jealous of your growing conditions (sighs wistfully). I think next year, I'm going to experiment with trying to grow poinsettia "trees" (topiary effect), as sometimes they get straggly and I'd like to pretend that I intended them to grow that way LOL.

#581342 - Thu Dec 30 2010 03:58 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

If pix are okay here, view my Marigolds and Geraniums. In the past few weeks we've had two 35F nights which didn'r bother the Marigolds but seem to have stalled the Zonals. They'll catch up though. Probably by the time to pull the Marigolds and replace them with some Impatience.

edit to remove photo

Edited by mehaul (Thu Dec 30 2010 06:40 PM)

#581386 - Thu Dec 30 2010 05:15 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

oops, sorry, never even thought about not being allowed to post pix here. Moderators please feel free to remove mine if inappropriate!

mehaul: I detect a pun in there somewhere lol

#581413 - Thu Dec 30 2010 06:02 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Yes folks , please do not post photos in here! We use too much bandwidth .

#581431 - Thu Dec 30 2010 06:42 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Greenthumberoo, repost your photo in one of the pix threads. It's a good one and more will see it there (I think).

#581447 - Thu Dec 30 2010 07:23 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

lol mehaul, just came here to do that. gmta?

#581492 - Thu Dec 30 2010 11:23 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Thanks so much for removing /resiting your photos!

#581495 - Thu Dec 30 2010 11:43 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
wdstk Offline
Prolific

Loc: Woodstock Illinois USA        
snowmen at present

#637441 - Mon Jun 27 2011 02:11 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: wdstk]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

I got a grab bag order from a seed company. I now have six Saskatoon blueberry bushes. Does anyone know what to make with them? Can I use them like regular blueberries? Anything would be helpful, thanks.
I also now have 9 pink butterfly bushes. I planted them and if they live until next year I'll probably give them away. I'm not big into pink.

#637472 - Mon Jun 27 2011 04:57 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

I've never heard of a "saskatoon blueberry" bush, but I suppose retailers can give them any common name they like : )

I have 3 Saskatoons ("Amelanchier alnifolia") in my yard (they've been there about 10 or 12 years and are approx 12 feet tall now). In the northern states, I believe they are more generally called "serviceberry" or possibly "juneberry".

They are not related to blueberries and they don't like the acid soil that blueberries require (so planting them right next to your blueberries or your colorado spruce and other evergreens probably isn't an optimum location).

The fruit is excellent in jams, pancake syrups and pies, as well as toppings for ice cream or in "smoothies". If you're willing to pick a LOT of them, you can make your own juice as well. Children (and my husband!) love to eat them raw (especially when they're supposed to be picking them for storage instead lol).

They are not as juicy as blueberries, are more tart and sort of "gritty" unless cooked. Despite that, we love them up here. They grow wild on the prairies and northwards. When I was a kid, saskatoon berry picking was a (mandatory) annual event (read: chore) lol.

On the health/nutrition side, they are higher in fiber, anti-oxidants and several minerals than are blueberries, raspberries, black currants or strawberries. And if you're trying to attract birds, they'll come visit your yard to grab them all before you can!

p.s. I was born in Saskatoon Saskatchewan. If you want any recipes for pie filling or what-not, feel free to drop me a line.

#637476 - Mon Jun 27 2011 05:38 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
In my part of the UK we have very heavy clay soil and because of this root vegetables tend not to do well. This year I tried early potatoes in a potato grow bag and was amazed at the results. From just 4 seed potatoes grown in normal multi-purpose compost which I kept well watered and fed with tomato food once a week I had just on 20lb of potatoes. The bag was bulging at the seams by the time I emptied it.
I've also tried carrots in a large tub, and they too are doing well, much better than in the ground.

#637583 - Tue Jun 28 2011 08:42 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Jakeroo. Hopefully they survive. If we get anything off then I'll write for recipes.

We had hail in our veggie garden but it doesn't appear we lost a lot. This year we are growing:

Sweet corn, Indian corn, popcorn, zuchinni, spaghetti squash, pumpkins, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, sweet peppers, hot peppers, peas, radishes, parsnips, carrots, soybeans, slicing cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, and dill.

With all the rain and cool temperatures we've had recently we had rhubarb for the first time in almost a decade, the mulberries are looking good and we should get a good couple bunches of grapes.

How is everyone else's gardens faring?

#637683 - Tue Jun 28 2011 10:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Wow! That is wonderful Rayven, you could have your own Farmer's Market! If you need any help with the harvest or testing, just send me an air ticket, lol!

#638632 - Sun Jul 03 2011 08:31 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

You'd be more than welcome Ren. I forgot the weeding part.

#638633 - Sun Jul 03 2011 08:33 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Kitty thought that was all I should say lol. With all the rain we've had the weeds popped up faster than some of the veggies. Anyone ever have that feeling of being at war with an inanimate object?

#638714 - Sun Jul 03 2011 07:35 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

rayven: only when I stub my toes on the darned chair that keeps jumping in the way on purpose lol. Regarding animate objects, I'm currently battling 5 different kinds of ants!

As for my garden? It hailed two days in a row.

#638786 - Mon Jul 04 2011 09:08 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm so sorry Jakeroo.

#638833 - Mon Jul 04 2011 05:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
Copago Offline

Originally Posted By: Christinap
In my part of the UK we have very heavy clay soil and because of this root vegetables tend not to do well. This year I tried early potatoes in a potato grow bag and was amazed at the results. From just 4 seed potatoes grown in normal multi-purpose compost which I kept well watered and fed with tomato food once a week I had just on 20lb of potatoes. The bag was bulging at the seams by the time I emptied it.
I've also tried carrots in a large tub, and they too are doing well, much better than in the ground.

HOw funny. For us things grow much better in the ground. I've tried things in pots over the years and they've never done as well. We've got very sandy soil which is great for drainage! Never heard of doing potatoes like that - must look to see what is available here.

Winter here and the garden is dormant .. must start preparing it for summer soon though. smile

#638851 - Mon Jul 04 2011 06:45 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Copago]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

rayven: Thanks. It wasn't a total loss. I'll probably still have potatoes and rhubarb. And, like an idiot, I ran outside and saved a few hanging baskets of annuals and pots by dragging them under tree cover. But there will be no beans, lettuce, peas, cherries or pears (there isn't a single one left on the trees) and the apples will all have to go to compost as they are bruised. Actually the hubby is ECSTATIC about the latter, because he really hates picking them up in the fall before mowing the lawn LOL.

It's disheartening mostly because a) there isn't a whole lot you can do about it and b) our growing season is so horribly short here. Oh well, as they say, "there's always next year" and hey, there are certainly worse things that can happen.

Copago: The so-called "soil" on city lots here is mostly all clay (because developers scrape off all the good topsoil before the houses are built and then turn around and sell it back to you lol). The dirt also has higher than average alkaline levels. Every time I read about other places having to add lime, I want to yell "I'll trade!!!" : )

#642686 - Sat Jul 23 2011 09:17 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

We have grasshoppers. Thousands of small grasshoppers. They've eaten two potatoes, two dill plants, and the majority of a squash. They have also put holes in almost everything else. It's to the point where we are considering getting a couple chickens to eat them. The grapes are doing well though, we got a lot of peas and I'll replant the carrots for a later harvest. How is everyone else's doing?

#642740 - Sat Jul 23 2011 01:52 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Yikes, I sympathise with the hoppers. Last time I remember them being a problem here was 15 years ago and believe me, there was pretty much nothing left (the corn was the first to go, I've never planted it again).

Since June 1st, we've had 39 days of rain or rain/hail. Potatoes have rotted in the ground. Peas, beans and sweetpeas are "knee-high" at best. We need some sunshine! lol. Am picking saskatoons today, for freezing (before the robins eat them all).

#642758 - Sat Jul 23 2011 05:03 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
At last we have had some sun and my mangoes are ripe and very delicious. We covered them in plastic bags to deter insects and speed the ripening and later brought them in and wrapped them in newspaper. (My gran used to swear by the News of the World for apple storage, about the best use for that filthy rag). The mangoes now taste and smell lovely and are being handed out to friends and neighbours. The lychees were few, only about 25 but yummy too.

#642767 - Sat Jul 23 2011 06:33 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
Daymare Offline
Explorer

Our lemon cucumbers are growing leaves and flowers. No cukes as of yet.

The rest of the garden couldn't take the heat and just surrendered. I wish the earwigs would surrender too and go away.

#642876 - Sun Jul 24 2011 10:08 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Daymare]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Broad beans did exceptionally well, as did the peas. In fact the peas have decided to carry on flowering and are giving a second quite heavy crop, not known that happen before. We had more than ample of both of those so have several packet of them in the feezer for later use. Green beans were a bit disappointing, I think I'll go back to runner beans next year. At the moment the tomatos have set well, but are being slow to ripen, we've had quite a cold wet spell, they need some sunshine. The strawberries did well, we had pounds of those but raspberries havn't been too good this year.

I usually do all my bedding plants from seed, but a friend was extolling the virtue of mail order plug plants so I deccided to give them a go this year as an experiment. They arrived in very good condition and I grew them on in the greenhouse and they have been magnificent. I had petunias and nicotinias and they are giving a wonderful display.

#642977 - Sun Jul 24 2011 07:15 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Ren: am jealous. Mangoes are my favourite treat ("treat", because they are rather expensive here)

Daymare: I planted lemon cucumbers for the first time ever this year. Hoping SOME of them mature, as I'd like to save the seed.

Christinap: your garden sounds lovely. Have you thought of posting pix in the photography thread?

#643367 - Tue Jul 26 2011 10:36 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

My weeds are doing well, the area I cut back earlier in the year is thriving again, with more brambles and weeds. smile Next week, weather permitting, I will attack it once more.

#643444 - Tue Jul 26 2011 09:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Dallas TX USA                 
Maybe you ought to have my weather, Sue. Nothing but Texas sages grows in this heat! It's only hit 100°F/38°C or more 26 straight days and there are at least ten more for sure.

edit to add it's already hit 100° for the day today and it's only noon!

Edited by dg_dave (Wed Jul 27 2011 11:09 AM)

#643496 - Wed Jul 27 2011 07:22 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: dg_dave]
cydonia325 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Stepford New York USA        
One lonely dwarf Japanese Maple,
peonies, roses, hydrangeas, and Japanese beetles. Billions and billions of beetles! mad
(Apologies to Carl Sagan)

#643745 - Thu Jul 28 2011 03:49 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: cydonia325]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Jakeroo - I hadn't thought of that but I do have some good photos stored on the computer. I'm not technologically brilliant though, can I go straight from my hard drive or do I need to use photobucket or something like that.

#643749 - Thu Jul 28 2011 04:10 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
Daymare Offline
Explorer

I am pleased to announce the arrival of a whole bunch of lemon cucumbers!

Ok, so I'm a little excited. Growing plants is fun!

#643755 - Thu Jul 28 2011 04:59 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Daymare]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Wonderful! Makes it all worthwhile when it actually works.

#643770 - Thu Jul 28 2011 06:34 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Yes Christina you do have to use Photobucket or something like that , but it is fairly easy to post in the photo forums here. There are instructions at the top of the forum if you get stuck Good luck I really look forward to seeing them.

#643780 - Thu Jul 28 2011 09:21 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Daymare: you're growing lemon cucumbers too? This is really cool. I hadn't actually heard of them until a year ago. Had you grown them in previous seasons? Have you eaten any yet? Are they as good as you hoped they would be? I planted mine in pots and they've been outside for several months so that they could be freely pollinated by insects, but I've moved the pots into my "plastic" greenhouse just recently because we've had so much rain over the past month and a half that I'm afraid they'll rot before they ripen. If mine fail, could I buy some seed from you? (hey this might be a neat idea, starting a heritage seed trade amongst members here!)

Christinap: There are several photo storage websites you could use. I joined photobucket a) because it's free (for now at least) and so far (after almost two years) they haven't told me I've exceeded whatever memory limitations might be present (I have NO idea what those might be specifically) and b) it's not too terribly finicky to figure out what to do. Once you've uploaded a pic from your computer you just have to go to that photo in your photobucket album and click on the bottom "img" line (it will tell you it's copied" and then put your cursor in your forum post message area, right click, select paste and voila!). I don't really like their photo editor though and prefer to resize my photo to the required size settings (640x480 for landscape orientation) with my own software before uploading. As Ren says, there are instructions/helpful hints in the "pinned" photography section threads, but if you get truly "stuck", the folks there are wonderfully friendly and will give you a hand. I have the distinct feeling you have FABulous photos hidden away that people would love to see you share : )

cydonia: LOL on the billions and billions ~ I don't think Carl Sagan would have minded (he seemed to have had a good sense of humour : )) But PLEASE don't send your japanese beetles out west! Am quite jealous of your hydrangeas and amur maples though (sigh).

Dave: we're going salmon fishing next week. Would you like to "housesit" for me? Just for a respite from the heat? I won't even mind if you have to turn on the furnace while we're gone, since you might find the temp diff a little tooooo chilly compared to what you're used to! (if all else fails, we have toques, scarves, parkas in the closet and two down quilts on the bed - feel free to make use of them lol).

Edited by Jakeroo (Thu Jul 28 2011 09:26 PM)

#643792 - Thu Jul 28 2011 11:00 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Ren/Jakeroo. Thanks for the advice. I've taken the plunge and have posted a photo of the main central bed in the garden which I keep seasonal, as opposed to the other beds which have mainly permanent planting jazzed up a bit with some bedding/bulbs.

#643916 - Fri Jul 29 2011 05:17 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Dave: we're going salmon fishing next week. Would you like to "housesit" for me? Just for a respite from the heat? I won't even mind if you have to turn on the furnace while we're gone, since you might find the temp diff a little tooooo chilly compared to what you're used to! (if all else fails, we have toques, scarves, parkas in the closet and two down quilts on the bed - feel free to make use of them lol).

lol...might take you up on it, but would need a passport to cross now, but it's a lot better than 28 straight over 100°!

#644323 - Mon Aug 01 2011 02:14 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: dg_dave]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Might take a picture of one of the many cornfields around here...they are as brown as everything else. Even the trees are starting to suffer from the heat I'm experiencing. Even the tropical system that hit south Texas didn't do anything for our drought.

#644325 - Mon Aug 01 2011 02:41 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Daymare Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Daymare: you're growing lemon cucumbers too? This is really cool. I hadn't actually heard of them until a year ago. Had you grown them in previous seasons? Have you eaten any yet? Are they as good as you hoped they would be? I planted mine in pots and they've been outside for several months so that they could be freely pollinated by insects, but I've moved the pots into my "plastic" greenhouse just recently because we've had so much rain over the past month and a half that I'm afraid they'll rot before they ripen. If mine fail, could I buy some seed from you? (hey this might be a neat idea, starting a heritage seed trade amongst members here!)

This is our first year for the cukes. I doubt yours will fail. The force is very strong within you, Jakeroo! If my cukes survive, buying seeds is not an option. I will give them to you freely.

Imagine....The Fun Trivia Heritage Seed Trading Guild....I like it!

Edited by Daymare (Mon Aug 01 2011 02:42 PM)

#644336 - Mon Aug 01 2011 03:36 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Daymare]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Does anyone plant extra or re-plant? In place of the radishes, peas, and cabbage which are already done for the season we are planting beets, spinach, another round of peas and, since the heat is well above normal, we are making a try for okra.

#644357 - Mon Aug 01 2011 05:25 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

I've put in some winter broccoli and winter cabbage where the peas and broad beans have finished.

#644571 - Tue Aug 02 2011 08:24 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Daymare Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: rayven80
Does anyone plant extra or re-plant? In place of the radishes, peas, and cabbage which are already done for the season we are planting beets, spinach, another round of peas and, since the heat is well above normal, we are making a try for okra.

As our plants are all grown in containers, we never considered replanting. Thanks for the idea.

I hope your okra, and everything else, grows well.

Our cukes are approaching the size of small plums. Husband is so funny when the squirrels start coming toward the deck. They are under orders to "stay away from the cukes, you rodents". Apparently, my Rose of Sharon is fair game and a possible sacrifice. wink

Edited by Daymare (Tue Aug 02 2011 08:27 PM)

#648466 - Fri Aug 19 2011 04:25 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Daymare]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Definite signs of autumn coming on here. Trees are showing signs of starting to turn and there is that feel in the air that summer is heading towards the close. I sense the autumn clean up is not far off. I've given all my hardy geraniums a good cut back over the last couple of days. The apple trees have done well this yea, hardly any drop at all and already I've picked about 40lb of apples which are in the freezer ready for apple pies, crumbles etc. over the winter, but we are still dripping with fruit. Plums didn't do so well this year, but we have an old Victoria plum tree which produced a few pounds of fruit. I love plums, it is always hard to resist eating too many at one go.

#648488 - Fri Aug 19 2011 05:39 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Oooh yum, Plum jam! I would gladly swap you some mangoes!

#648530 - Sat Aug 20 2011 02:11 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Plum and apple jam, apple and tomato chutney, both on the agenda for getting done next week.

#649517 - Wed Aug 24 2011 04:22 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

The raccoons have taken all the grapes from the garden vines, and half the sweet corn. The grasshoppers are still everywhere. The cucumbers have started to produce, the beets are starting to come up and the tomatoes, sweet peppers and hot peppers are doing very well. We didn't get the okra in, maybe next year. Mom is getting three cases of peaches on Saturday so we'll be doing them soon.

Christinap, did you get your jams and chutneys done? We didn't get any plums this year but last years' jam turned out good. We don't do chutneys, what do you use them on? We make tomato preserves but as I'm not a huge tomato fan, I don't use it.

#649535 - Wed Aug 24 2011 05:07 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Rayven, I did get my jams and chutneys done thank you, and they seem to have turned out OK. We use the chutney on cold meats, cheese, as a relish with a pork pie, anything like that.

#666969 - Thu Nov 10 2011 10:18 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

I found a book on food preservation and it mentions clamping. I've seen the basic principle under different names. Does anyone use this method? We occasionally get hard freezes so this may be something to do in the barn or garage?

#786469 - Sat Apr 14 2012 09:23 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
I though I would resuscitate this thread, as spring has definitely sprung in my garden How is yours?
Here is a nice new orchid. Flowered from a cutting,
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/rensara/flars/flarsmisc002.jpg

#786495 - Sun Apr 15 2012 02:14 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Gorgeous, ren!

My tulips are beginning to fade, my roses are budding (but not yet ready to flower) and my rhododendron is just about to burst into bloom. I'm expecting a blaze of colour this year as it has finally got over the scrawny, scrappy look it's had ever since we moved here. My miniature azaelea is in full flower and my geraniums are thickening up after the winter, the japanese maple is a blaze of glorious red and my diverse succulents are in various stages: the yellow flowers are nearing their end, the pink ones are just about to blossom ...

Spring has definitely sprung, but another week or two of warm sunshine wouldn't go amiss about now.

#787487 - Thu Apr 19 2012 07:53 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Santana2002]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

At the moment we are being battered by fairly frequent rain and hail storms, but the blossom trees are looking lovely. My greenhouse and potting shed are bursting at the seams with stuff growing on ready to go out in another four or five weeks.

The last couple of years I have bought mail order plug plants for my bedding plants, and I really have been very pleased with the results. I currently have around 400 bedding plants growing on which cost me about £20 plus another fiver for the compost to pot them on.

Last year I put in a complete new bed of David Austin roses under the front window, and they are shooting beautifully at the moment. Loads of buds on them so I'm hopeful of a really good display from them this summer.

In the veg. garden. Broad beans ae growing well. Peas are just coming through. Tomatos are in the greenhouse and as soon as the soil warms up just a bit more the runner beans will go in, plus I'll sow the cucumbers that will go in the greenouse. The potatos are shooting well in the potato bags and the strawberry plants are looking good after winter and shooting nicely from the crowns.

All in all spring is definitely springing.

#787506 - Thu Apr 19 2012 10:10 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

With the warm temperatures so early this year, we put the peas, carrots, parsnips, lettuce, beets and onions in two weeks ago. We'll put the rest in on Mother's day. Nothing coming up yet but we planted two more plum trees and an apricot tree. The old apricot tree has small apricots already! Everything has bloomed out, the rhubarb and the saskatoons came back so I'm very excited and hoping for a good year.

Christinap, what are potato bags?

#787551 - Thu Apr 19 2012 12:37 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Tulips are up, and buds just beginning to show on them, so should see flowers next week. Lots of budding on trees, and the willows are blooming. Hollyhocks are about three inches high. Green grass just beginning to poke through the dead stuff.

#787647 - Thu Apr 19 2012 03:55 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

rayven, potato bags are a method of growing potatos other than in the ground. The bags are a sort of plasticised hessian, about 2ft 6in tall by a 18 inches wide. You put around 4 inches of compost in the bottom, plant about 5 seed potatos per bag, cover with two or three inches of compost. As they shoot and grow cover with compost, exactly as though you were earthing up in the ground, until you are a couple of inches below the top of the bag then let them grow on up, flower and die down and harvest as normal. We have very heavy clay soil here so root crops don't do well in it, which is why I use the bags. The other advantage is you get a very clean crop and being in the bag you don't get anything nibbled by various pests. At harvest time I just tip the whole bag out into a wheelbarrow, get the potatos out then tip the used compost onto the garden and dig it in. Wash the bag out and you can use it again next year. You can also grow asparagus and rhubarb in them, or completely fill them with compost and do carrot seeds - get lovely straight long carrots that way.

#787683 - Thu Apr 19 2012 08:14 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

wow Agony. The weather must have been more kind where you are. I have two perennials that are "trying" to do something in the rock garden (south facing), but buds on trees? Nope. Tulips/Crocus? Absolutely not. And 6 inches of snow on the north side of the house (which is where my actual garden is, silly me lol.

#805513 - Sat Jun 30 2012 06:15 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Have just harvested our first potatoes of the year, yuummyyy!!!

Tomatoes are looking bad, though. All this rain and wet weather is bad for them and I'm expecting them to turn black any day now.

Rhubarb is doing well, as are the raspberries and all the herbs in the herb garden. Chilli peppers are coming along, as are the green and yellow beans, and the onions. The snails got to my lettuces, however, so I'll have to start over ...

In the flower bed the lavender's blooming, the roses too, and the geraniums.

My japanese maple is looking very sorry for itself these days, but I'm damned if I know why. I'd repot it only it's not the best season for that. Fingers crossed that it hangs in there until I find out what's upsetting it!

#805632 - Sun Jul 01 2012 07:18 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Santana2002]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Same here Santana. Out of three potatoe bags I've got 20lb so far, and I have one bag yet to be emptied as it doesn't look quit ready yet. Strawberries have been brilliant this year, had a massive crop from them. Pikced the first peas this morning, lunch was chicken breats, home grown potatoes and home grown peas, with strawberries and ice cream to follow.

Runner beans are just starting to flower, broad beans should be ready to start picking in a few days. Like you though the tomatoes are not having a good year, just been too wet for them. Still if everything came right and we had one perfect season we'd have nothing to plan for for next year!

#805642 - Sun Jul 01 2012 09:14 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

We may have to try the potato bags. This year we are trying a method of planting potatoes in a tire. Dad found it and so far it seems to be doing well. The grasshoppers are back. It's been so dry that the birds took all the cherries and mulberries. Only two tomatoes and three cucumbers so far. My idea of planting things early didn't work so we still have beets, carrots and parsnips growing. If it weren't for the heat and the grasshoppers things would be lovely.

#805647 - Sun Jul 01 2012 09:37 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

We won't have potatoes up here for at least two months. Have had lots of strawberries, cherry tomatoes and banana peppers so far to eat. Am afraid my peas and beans "drowned" (read: rotted in the mud). Rayven, I'd happily send you some rain (we're having a surplus) if I could, to help with those fires!

#814153 - Fri Aug 10 2012 04:13 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

As predicted the tomatoes have not been good this year. On the other hand the runner beans have loved the weather we've been having and I have a massive crop. So far I've got two big bagfuls in the freezer for over winter ( about the size of a bag of beans you would buy from a supermarket) so that is good, and there are masses still setting. Went to the garden centre the other day and was given a freebie. Potatos to plant now to get new potatos in time for Christmas, so have planted those in the bags today to see how they go. New idea that, haven't seen those before. The garden centre were giving them away when you bought something else with a request that you report back to them on what sort of crop you get - I suppose to decide if they carry them for next year on a large scale.

#820388 - Sat Sep 01 2012 05:27 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Jakeroo, I'd be quite glad of some water. I hope your garden didn't drown.

We haven't had what you'd call measurable rain in quite a while, though the temperatures have gone down a bit so the tomatoes and peppers are trying to come back. Between our garden, the produce I brought back from vacation and various assorted friends and family we've stocked the jelly/jam cupboard with a nice variety and have a lot of zucchini, peaches, apples and raspberries, green beans and sweet corn in the freezer. The potatoes seem to be doing well and the popcorn has a lot of ears on it.
Although we replanted the carrots, parsnips and beets, only the beets really came up. We got one batch of pickled beets and one batch of beet jelly out of them, along with a couple saved to try a beet bread recipe I found.

How is everyone else doing?

#820399 - Sat Sep 01 2012 07:48 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Rayven: What didn't drown, got pelted into soup consistency from all the hailstorms.

I think I might have to move to a different neighbourhood - we seem to be in our own microclimate zone here LOL! After the weather office predicting a fabulously sunny Labour Day weekend (not that I ever believe them anyway) it's been drizzling rain since last night and is decidedly cool.

Although the plums and apples didn't escape the hail, the Evans cherries did (why, I have no idea) and I've made 2 pies and 12 tarts (although I had to add some blueberries and store-bought fresh bings to fill them completely) and so far the results were delicious. Froze them, in case hubby allows me to have company for dinner in the near future. I do have a small greenhouse (which is the home for most of my tomatoes/peppers) so have made about 10 pints of salsa, 5 pints of spaghetti sauce and have frozen about 25 romas whole for future use.

I'm still a bit peeved about the lost scarlet runner beans, as in past years I've made really (good) spicy bean pickles out of them - love their length - as they go great in tall Caesars! Oh well lol

#820894 - Tue Sep 04 2012 07:10 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

I've had a massive runner bean crop this year, several bags in the freezer for winter and they are still cropping well. Tomatos have had a bit of a late surge, plenty of the small cherry ones but the normal size ones are still not ripening, might have to do a few batches of green tomato chutney to use them up. Mid season potatos cropped fairly well, in fact when I worked it out the other day I havn't bought any potatos in just over three months which isn't bad, and I have about another months worth in store. The late crop, which will be ready around November/December are coming on well, or at least the foliage is, can only hope on the tubers.

We seem to be having summer late. Wellies and jackets in June, shorts and T shirt in September with it forecast to last so flowers etc. are still blooming well. Currently collecting seed from a lot of the bedding plants for next year as well as letting some runner beans get to the save for seed stage. I have my spring bedding all growing away in the potting shed and it will be nicely ready to plant out in four or five weeks time, plus I've got most of my spring bulbs bought ready to plant out in a few weeks.

#825889 - Sat Sep 22 2012 08:17 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
Popoki_Iti Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria
BC Canada       
My garden grows fodder for the critters! I have given up on flower beds, so the deer and rabbits have to make do with grass, dandelions and daisies. Thinking of putting something in the cat run...after the little rabbits get too big to squeeze through the gaps in the gates!
We do well in the wild blackberry department...darn things take over, and there are too many for the squirrels, and the bears haven't shown their faces yet - thank goodness!

#826409 - Mon Sep 24 2012 06:27 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Popoki_Iti]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

It is finally raining here. A bit too late as we harvested most of the popcorn and tomatoes last week. Mom wants to dig the potatoes next week. The peppers are doing well and we can't keep up with the raspberries. The raccoon's won't touch the popcorn but they took all the sweet corn and the sunflowers. We've still got a few carrots to dig and a zucchini or two. We may have gotten a pumpkin but the weeds have grown up in that patch so we'll have to check.

How is everyone else?

#827896 - Sat Sep 29 2012 06:20 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Copago Offline

Put our garden in a couple weeks ago and so far so good (apart form forgetting to water it this morning oops ). Didn't go all out this year but have lots of tomatoes (8), capsicum, spinach, zuchinni and cucumber.

It's going to be stupid the amount of tomoatoes we will be getting by Christmas! Must start looking for recipes!

#828619 - Mon Oct 01 2012 02:05 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Copago]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

I have zillion apples on the ground after the windy day today - anyone want any? (she asks desperately lol)

#828630 - Mon Oct 01 2012 03:10 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I'll send you Florida Cane Sugar, you send me Alberta Apple Pies?

#828660 - Mon Oct 01 2012 04:06 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

We are into autumn now and have had the first of the autumn storms. I've brought the last of the green tomatos indoors to ripen. Despite a bad start they didn't do too badly in the end. Runner beans have had a fantastic year and are still cropping well, although the first frost will stop them dead in their tracks. I spent two mornings stripping out the last of the summer bedding plants, collecting seeds and putting in the spring bedding and bulbs. Need to take out the tomato plants now and sow broad beans for next spring. Have potatos still growing, should be ready to harvest around November, apples are ready to pick and we have loads of blackberries all over the place. Overall though the wet weather through to early July didn't do any of the garden any favours - still, as always there were swings and roundabouts. Never had such a good strawberry crop as this year, have enough runner beans frozen down to easily last all winter, havn't had to buy any potatos for four months, so not too bad a year in the end.

#828661 - Mon Oct 01 2012 04:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Copago]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Copago
Put our garden in a couple weeks ago and so far so good (apart form forgetting to water it this morning oops ). Didn't go all out this year but have lots of tomatoes (8), capsicum, spinach, zuchinni and cucumber.

It's going to be stupid the amount of tomoatoes we will be getting by Christmas! Must start looking for recipes!

Copago, I freeze the tomato glut. No good for salads but excellent for coooking with, pasta sauce, home made soup, anything like that. You can either cook and freeze or freeze them raw, either works really well.

#828679 - Mon Oct 01 2012 06:09 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Make fresh salsa with some of those tomatoes - to die for. Will give anyone a recipe if they want (warning: my recipes are more of a "taste as you go" and throw in whatever you have on hand lol and probably aren't all that accurate except for cookies, cakes and pies - which are more of a science unfortunately).

Living where I do, am jealous of everyone's gardens, sigh.

And mehaul? I have 8 in the freezer already (apple), but I think I'll send you a saskatoon/blueberry/raspberry one along with (you might like it lol). I'd be grateful for some cane sugar. Are the vidalia onions all done now down there? Love those and they're hard to get here.

#829167 - Wed Oct 03 2012 03:09 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

We're looking at a "season ending" cold front tonight so Dad and I covered the tomatoes and peppers today. Picked the raspberries and the last zucchini. I pulled up and picked about half a row of popcorn but we may lose the rest of it. I'll have to see tomorrow.
We dug about a third of the potatoes and all the carrots last weekend. From a row of carrots we got 27lbs. I think I'll pick some peppers tomorrow if it doesn't freeze.

Dad's dog is going to be sad soon. His favorite treat is a ripe tomato. He won't let you out of the garden if you don't have one.

How is the planting/harvesting going where you are?

#829286 - Thu Oct 04 2012 03:46 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Copago Offline

"Dad's dog is going to be sad soon. His favorite treat is a ripe tomato. He won't let you out of the garden if you don't have one."

What a strange dog! Mine loves eggs and not a day goes by where she doesn't get one someway or another.

"Copago, I freeze the tomato glut. No good for salads but excellent for coooking with, pasta sauce, home made soup, anything like that. You can either cook and freeze or freeze them raw, either works really well."

Good thinking!

http://www.tomatodirt.com/freezing-tomatoes.html I found this site which I will study a bit further and see how I go by the end of summer!

I have spinach in (or silverbeet if you prefer) and planted some more seeds. I can barely eat what is already there - god knows why I planted more!!!

#829293 - Thu Oct 04 2012 04:23 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
It is spring here in South Africa and we are fortunate to have an acre of land. We have orange, plum, lemon, fig, naartjies(tangerines), greengage and avocado trees. At the moment we've got spinach coming out of our ears. Coming up are green beans, aubergine, potatoes, onion, leeks, carrots and green peppers. Our patio is where we grow most of our herbs and have cilantro, parsley, thyme, lemon verbena and oreganum. Also on the patio is a huge tub of different varieties of lettuce.

#951563 - Sun Nov 25 2012 04:46 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: playmate1111]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Playmate, what are greengages? The rest sounds like a dream to me.
We haven't had measurable snow or rain. Unless we get a lot of water in the coming months there will be significant water shortages. I talked to Dad and we may not plant the whole garden space if that happens because we couldn't water it all.

#951598 - Sun Nov 25 2012 07:27 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
A greengage is from the plum familly, but smaller (I think). They are not always green, are very delicious especially made into jam.

#952383 - Thu Nov 29 2012 11:08 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Ren.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong