Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#446158 - Sun Nov 02 2008 01:00 PM What does your garden grow?
janetgool Offline
Explorer

Loc: Israel
What do you grow in your garden? We have a few types of citrus trees (orange, lemon, and pomella) as well as apple and and olive. Today I put up 15 kilos of olives, and I can't get the smell out of my hands! Shalom, Janet

#446159 - Sun Nov 02 2008 01:47 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
We have a few water problems at the moment so the only thing growing is a few tomato plants in pots.
Oh a a few cactus things which I just can't kill no matter how hard I try.

#446160 - Sun Nov 02 2008 01:52 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Copago]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I grow what many gardens grow -- weeds! Especially now with the cooler weather coming on.

#446161 - Tue Nov 04 2008 05:54 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jar]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Lol Jar! It is the time of year to plant vegetables now but have been slow this year. Usually have tomatoes (everywhere) but last year I planted beans and gem squash (small round green squash) and they did very well. Still searching for the right type of beans - one day I will get the ones I am looking for.

#446162 - Tue Nov 04 2008 06:47 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: lady1]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
At this time of the year all my garden grows is mud. Then the dogs very helpfully bring it in to the house.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#446163 - Tue Nov 04 2008 06:57 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: romeomikegolf]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I usually grow green green beans, tomatoes, lettuce and courgettes in my (micro) vegetable plot, and have also grown onions, scallions, shallotts and chili peppers successfully.

I have thyme, rosemary, chives and parsley all the time, as well as bay laurel.

When it's in season my rhubarb does reasonably well, and this year we had a small crop of apples from the young apple tree, two peaches and a couple of plums. The raspberry bushes have started to thrive and the black and redcurrants do well until the birds eat the fruit. I grow strawerries in containters to try keep the snails at bay. The crop isn't much - (just a couple of berries a day during the summer season)

Right now, however, it's autumn. The vegetable plot is full of weeds, the bushes are in need of pruning, the fruit trees are looking pretty tired and the compost heap is looking pretty sorry for itself. (The words putrid mess spring to mind, though it's not (yet) reached the rotten stage)

Time to get the mud boots out again and roll up the sleeves, methinks.

#446164 - Tue Nov 04 2008 11:43 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Santana2002]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
This year we grew tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, zucchini, cabbage, carrots, radishes, corn, and mini pumpkins. Now it's time to clean out the dead vines and get ready for next year. I've got most of the seeds I want, figured I'd stock up while they were on sale. The orchard didn't do well this year but I have plans to fix that next year.

#446165 - Tue Nov 04 2008 11:39 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
All your veg plots sound splendid! I am proud of you all! Janet, I would love some of your olives,and some of Santana and Rayven's veg and fruit wouldn't go amiss.
I do not have much room, and tend to only grow flowers and fruit trees. We have a few nice orchids, lots of bourgainvillae, two or three lychee trees and some mangos. We grow kumquats too. Oh and my pride(s) and joy(s): a firecracker vine, grown from a twig, which is covered in blossoms at CNY and a curry bush which also grew from a stick and is very useful in cooking. There is a bit of mint and rosemary and some struggling lavender. I wish I could get that to flower. <Sigh> it's not very impressive really, but most people here do not have a garden at all, so I am lucky.

#446166 - Thu Nov 06 2008 12:47 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Plums, apricots, pears, roses, carnations, and lots and lots of weeds. We also have a frangipani stick - it hasn't grown into a tree yet, despite the several years it's been sitting in the ground.

#446167 - Thu Nov 06 2008 03:01 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: The_lioness33]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Ren, I saw lychee trees in one of my books. They sound delicious but of course won't grow here. We need pretty things too. It's amazing what people can produce with little ground.

#446168 - Thu Nov 06 2008 04:18 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
They are delicious and our trees do quite well:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/rensara/DSC00799.jpg

#446169 - Fri Nov 07 2008 07:44 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I have a lemon tree and lots of herbs including thyme, basil, lavender, sage, marjoram and rosemary. Not illustrious.

#446170 - Sat Nov 08 2008 09:56 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Bruyere]
janetgool Offline
Explorer

Loc: Israel
Ren, you are welcome to olives anytime! I'm at the other end of Asia from you. Shalom, Janet

#446171 - Tue Nov 18 2008 08:27 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Everyone says our garden is good but I'd say it isn't looked after particularly well. It's mostly lawn but also has a mixture of trees, shrubs, raspberry bushes and wild blackberries (thorns). I can't name most of the plants out there. It has a bit of a wild area too. A few weeds and an area left uncultivated is good for wildlife. Looking out at the garden now, it looks very friendly to wildlife

#446172 - Tue Nov 18 2008 04:36 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: tellywellies]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Mostly weeds.

#446173 - Wed Nov 19 2008 12:13 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
queproblema Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kenny Lake Alaska USA     
In November??

I see "garden" here means different things--yard, flowers, vegetables, fruits....

In any case, all I have is about a foot and half of snow. No garden of any kind till May. Maybe some grass in April.

#446174 - Wed Nov 19 2008 05:16 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: queproblema]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
to be honest there are some plants and shrubs too and a number of them are still in bloom including fuchsias, plumbago, cape daisies and even some lobelia plus others. Normally fuchsias can be in flower (just a few) through until the spring when they are sometimes pruned.

I really need to do some pruning and weeding, my jasmine is really huge and needs to be hacked back before it completely takes over.

#446175 - Wed Nov 19 2008 06:44 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
auntie1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Kingsville VIC Australia
Due to water restrictions, my garden survives largely on "grey" water, from bath and laundry, so I must be careful about the brand and quantity of detergent I use. A shower of rain is a cleansing bonus.
I'm growing peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini. In a back corner I planted melon vines which can scramble freely without interfering with other plants. Under the roses in my front garden I'm considering putting unusual vegies such as black kale and tomatillos.
The prolonged dry spell has been cruel to plants such as azaleas and rhododendrons, but the Australian flowering shrubs, particularly correas, are thriving and provide food and shelter for the nectar-feeding birds.

#446176 - Sat Nov 22 2008 07:29 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: auntie1]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
During the summer - hollyhocks, iris, daisies and tiger lily (as you can tell, I am not one to do any garden work) Right now, though, only snow and the odd frozen bits of things I didn't clean up well enough.

#446177 - Mon Dec 29 2008 05:38 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
Sinned2471 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jersey City New Jersey USA
This year it was tomatoes both beefsteak & cherry, peppers (orange), strawberries, figs, dahlias, roses, snapdragons, pansies, mums, jasmine, azaleas, tulips, lilies, ivy, and lavender.

#446178 - Wed Apr 29 2009 10:59 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Sinned2471]
cowdunking Offline
Explorer

Loc: Black Creek <br>BC Canada
I usually grow things that the deer end up eating. Aside from a higher fence, which I can't afford, any suggestions on how to keep them out?

#446179 - Wed Apr 29 2009 11:53 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: cowdunking]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm not likely to have problems with deer but I did read in a craft forum I belong to about people who had deer eating their gardens .. I will send you the link to it but just for the 'ewww' value of the Fters one of the suggestions was to get the man of the house to go and start marking his territory!

#446180 - Thu Apr 30 2009 02:06 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Copago]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Quote:

to get the man of the house to go and start marking his territory!

At least it is cheap and worth a try.

I planted sweet potatoes, they were growing nicely and last week the moles came along and ate them all. Perhaps I should get the man of the house out there to help.

#446181 - Fri May 01 2009 10:48 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: lady1]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
Quote:

I usually grow things that the deer end up eating. Aside from a higher fence, which I can't afford, any suggestions on how to keep them out?

My brother, who lives on Vancouver Island, uses and swears by the following method. He takes a bar or three of Irish Spring hand soap, cuts them into fairly good size slivers, puts each sliver into an old onion bag (old pantihose works as well) and hangs the bags around the perimeter of his garden. It works for him! Not sure why, but it must be Irish Spring soap, no other works.

#446182 - Sat May 02 2009 06:24 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: MadMags]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Potatoes, carrots, leeks, various lettuces, onions. shallots, cauliflower,peas, strawberries, blueberries. Oddly enough, no one likes tomatoes, so I don't bother with them.
I also have a large selection of herbs.

I'm not going to list all the non-edibles, it would take far too long. The Weald of Sussex is a good place for growing things, the downside is that the slugs round here are the size of anacondas.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong