Ontario Canada   
I'M sure we'll get cold eventually here,
but right now for the next few days,11 Celsius
and rain.:)

#570093 - Thu Nov 25 2010 09:12 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
At present, you cannot see my garden as it is covered in snow. Two days ago, with windchill factored in, it was MINUS 41 degrees Celsius. I had to use a hair dryer/blower to get my car doors open that day (wasn't just the LOCKS, the doors themselves were frozen shut).

Today, however, it went up to plus 2C. Which is good, since we're hosting the Grey Cup (championship gridiron football game in this country for those of you who are not Canadians) and the weather is supposed to "hold" til Sunday.

If you like a good dose of unpredictability and change with your weather, this is a good place to live. Personally (as far as gardening goes) I'd rather move to somewhere like New Zealand, where there is about four "growing seasons" in a year lol

#570374 - Sat Nov 27 2010 04:36 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
humbugs Offline
Participant

Loc: Adelaide South Australia      
I may whinge about the heat sometimes when it gets to 45C but I definitely do not envy you folk in the northern hemisphere with your cold weather!

lioness33 I'm glad you got your garden planted, it seemed a nice little collection and I hope it grows well for you. The rain we've had should help it along nicely!

#570394 - Sat Nov 27 2010 07:42 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: humbugs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Big day tomorrow, Jakeroo! I'll be in town today visiting my kids, hope the football crowds don't mean traffic will be bad.

#570495 - Sat Nov 27 2010 07:43 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Two months of searching and I could not find the red Salvia to back my orange PomPom Marigolds. So I went and got what I was sure would offend Agony's sense of smell. I now have Marigolds and Geraniums! They will get higher than the marigolds but not as high as the salvia would have been. I got the red color that I wanted and it is probably the most reliably sucessful plant to watering and cultivation abuse in the last hundred years, a real performer. Red Zonal Geraniums or as some Kew followers call them, Cranesbill for the shape the little seed pod takes after the blossom has gone by. but the smell bad stuff again is in the leaves. a flower cluster will go nice in an indoor arrangement. I hope you have an exciting Grey Cup Game to watch and enjoy. Did I mention I'm a BC(college)/Boston/Doug Flutie fan? people in Boston Know what Grey Cup is! Why not run a CFL franchise down there (the New England Whales or the Near Down Under)?
I see the Halftime entertainment will be provided this year by Bachman and Turner, somebody shift to overdrive! Sounds like fun.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 27 2010 07:56 PM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#570688 - Sun Nov 28 2010 04:04 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Mehaul: You mean Flutie the Cutie? lol (sorry, I realize he's probably not your type). And LOL on the BTO reference, sometimes you are too funny : )

As for the "garden", it's certainly toast, but some of things I bought in the fall that never got planted (namely a Lenten Rose and a clematis) are blooming like crazy (I'm sure they will be VERY confused when I put them in the ground come spring lol). My gardenia (which CANNOT be left outside here, ever) is about to bloom and my "Christmas cactus" has buds on it (apparently, right on time). The poinsettias I've nurtured for over two years are looking splendid, if I do say so myself (I must remember to post a pic on the photo section).

#581303 - Thu Dec 30 2010 01:50 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

okay, here are my "babies" that I've been nurturing. Only had to buy one "new" one this year:

(edited to move picture to December photos)

Edited by Jakeroo (Thu Dec 30 2010 07:22 PM)

#581318 - Thu Dec 30 2010 02:30 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Very impressive! It must have been quite a task to move them in and out of light each day to set blooms on them. Can I guess on the new one? I pick the variegated pink mid left side.
We plant them outdoors in Florida after the holidays. The longest I've kept one going is five years it got to be a yard diameter dome of red (Had to put a refrigerator box over it to get blooms started. But what you show here is grand! well done.

#581327 - Thu Dec 30 2010 03:09 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Well thanks mehaul : ) As you know, they need equal amounts (12 hours) of light and dark to get them to bloom again. I let them do whatever they want to until late summer (just basically keep them alive lol) then I torture them in the basement in a room without windows, but which has grow lights installed. I'm very jealous of your growing conditions (sighs wistfully). I think next year, I'm going to experiment with trying to grow poinsettia "trees" (topiary effect), as sometimes they get straggly and I'd like to pretend that I intended them to grow that way LOL.

#581342 - Thu Dec 30 2010 03:58 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

If pix are okay here, view my Marigolds and Geraniums. In the past few weeks we've had two 35F nights which didn'r bother the Marigolds but seem to have stalled the Zonals. They'll catch up though. Probably by the time to pull the Marigolds and replace them with some Impatience.

edit to remove photo

Edited by mehaul (Thu Dec 30 2010 06:40 PM)

#581386 - Thu Dec 30 2010 05:15 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

oops, sorry, never even thought about not being allowed to post pix here. Moderators please feel free to remove mine if inappropriate!

mehaul: I detect a pun in there somewhere lol

#581413 - Thu Dec 30 2010 06:02 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Yes folks , please do not post photos in here! We use too much bandwidth .

#581431 - Thu Dec 30 2010 06:42 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Greenthumberoo, repost your photo in one of the pix threads. It's a good one and more will see it there (I think).

#581447 - Thu Dec 30 2010 07:23 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

lol mehaul, just came here to do that. gmta?

#581492 - Thu Dec 30 2010 11:23 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Thanks so much for removing /resiting your photos!

#581495 - Thu Dec 30 2010 11:43 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
wdstk Offline
Prolific

Loc: Woodstock Illinois USA        
snowmen at present

#637441 - Mon Jun 27 2011 02:11 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: wdstk]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I got a grab bag order from a seed company. I now have six Saskatoon blueberry bushes. Does anyone know what to make with them? Can I use them like regular blueberries? Anything would be helpful, thanks.
I also now have 9 pink butterfly bushes. I planted them and if they live until next year I'll probably give them away. I'm not big into pink.

#637472 - Mon Jun 27 2011 04:57 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

I've never heard of a "saskatoon blueberry" bush, but I suppose retailers can give them any common name they like : )

I have 3 Saskatoons ("Amelanchier alnifolia") in my yard (they've been there about 10 or 12 years and are approx 12 feet tall now). In the northern states, I believe they are more generally called "serviceberry" or possibly "juneberry".

They are not related to blueberries and they don't like the acid soil that blueberries require (so planting them right next to your blueberries or your colorado spruce and other evergreens probably isn't an optimum location).

The fruit is excellent in jams, pancake syrups and pies, as well as toppings for ice cream or in "smoothies". If you're willing to pick a LOT of them, you can make your own juice as well. Children (and my husband!) love to eat them raw (especially when they're supposed to be picking them for storage instead lol).

They are not as juicy as blueberries, are more tart and sort of "gritty" unless cooked. Despite that, we love them up here. They grow wild on the prairies and northwards. When I was a kid, saskatoon berry picking was a (mandatory) annual event (read: chore) lol.

On the health/nutrition side, they are higher in fiber, anti-oxidants and several minerals than are blueberries, raspberries, black currants or strawberries. And if you're trying to attract birds, they'll come visit your yard to grab them all before you can!

p.s. I was born in Saskatoon Saskatchewan. If you want any recipes for pie filling or what-not, feel free to drop me a line.

#637476 - Mon Jun 27 2011 05:38 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
In my part of the UK we have very heavy clay soil and because of this root vegetables tend not to do well. This year I tried early potatoes in a potato grow bag and was amazed at the results. From just 4 seed potatoes grown in normal multi-purpose compost which I kept well watered and fed with tomato food once a week I had just on 20lb of potatoes. The bag was bulging at the seams by the time I emptied it.
I've also tried carrots in a large tub, and they too are doing well, much better than in the ground.

#637583 - Tue Jun 28 2011 08:42 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Christinap]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Jakeroo. Hopefully they survive. If we get anything off then I'll write for recipes.

We had hail in our veggie garden but it doesn't appear we lost a lot. This year we are growing:

Sweet corn, Indian corn, popcorn, zuchinni, spaghetti squash, pumpkins, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, sweet peppers, hot peppers, peas, radishes, parsnips, carrots, soybeans, slicing cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, and dill.

With all the rain and cool temperatures we've had recently we had rhubarb for the first time in almost a decade, the mulberries are looking good and we should get a good couple bunches of grapes.

How is everyone else's gardens faring?

#637683 - Tue Jun 28 2011 10:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Wow! That is wonderful Rayven, you could have your own Farmer's Market! If you need any help with the harvest or testing, just send me an air ticket, lol!

#638632 - Sun Jul 03 2011 08:31 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

You'd be more than welcome Ren. I forgot the weeding part.

#638633 - Sun Jul 03 2011 08:33 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Kitty thought that was all I should say lol. With all the rain we've had the weeds popped up faster than some of the veggies. Anyone ever have that feeling of being at war with an inanimate object?

#638714 - Sun Jul 03 2011 07:35 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

rayven: only when I stub my toes on the darned chair that keeps jumping in the way on purpose lol. Regarding animate objects, I'm currently battling 5 different kinds of ants!

As for my garden? It hailed two days in a row.

#638786 - Mon Jul 04 2011 09:08 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jakeroo]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm so sorry Jakeroo.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong