Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#446183 - Sat May 02 2009 06:55 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Having just this moment come in with an aching back I have to say it grows grass and weeds, and brambles. All I did just now was cut the grass, not even strimmed the edges. I will need to spray the brambles and pull some weeds fairly soon.

#446184 - Sat May 02 2009 08:15 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Hmmm sounds like you are getting that garden ready for a visitor again Sue.

#446185 - Sat May 02 2009 08:31 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: lady1]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Nah, just stopping it getting so long that it is hard work to cut.

#446186 - Sat May 02 2009 09:22 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: sue943]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I'm hoping to plant next Saturday. I am a little disappointed because I started a lot of things in the house and they were doing so well but with the weather getting colder this week we weren't able to plant. Many things I started in the house are dying.

#446187 - Sat May 02 2009 12:35 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
janetgool Offline
Explorer

Loc: Israel
We're having a water shortage here, so our grass looks awful, but the trees are doing surprisingly well! We just planted a grape vine - too early to say how it is doing.

#446188 - Sat May 02 2009 12:49 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I just bought three small Coleus plants and will go back for Sweet Potato vines when they come in, then will put them all in the front plot in about three weeks.

I'm hoping to see my Hostas come up before we move, I hate the idea of someone else getting to enjoy my garden other than me!

#446189 - Sun May 03 2009 09:45 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: BurgGurl]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Tulips are just opening - first one today. I dislike gardening, so everything here is a perennial - hollyhocks are starting to poke themselves out of the ground, as are peonies. Irises well up.

I'd like to grow a small patch (3 feet by 6 feet, say), of carrots, but the thought of digging up well established lawn for it is daunting. Such a small patch would be constantly in danger of being taken over again by the grass, unless I put far more work into it than I want to. Well, I still have about a month before I have to make up my mind, can't plant anything here until the end of May, especially this year as spring is late.

#446190 - Sun May 03 2009 10:12 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Agony, think about a raised bed. You can buy the panels prefabricated, and the grass can't take over easily.
I've edged my two raised wooden beds with copper strips, which seems to put off the slugs.

#446191 - Sun May 03 2009 11:56 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
That might do it - all I really want are carrots.

#446192 - Tue May 05 2009 04:06 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: agony]
trangie Offline
Participant

Loc: NSW Australia
Running a farm I grow all sorts of stuff - wheat, canola etc. It's my garden that suffers - can anyone tell me how to revive a sunburnt staghorn? It is still partly alive on one side.

#446193 - Tue May 05 2009 09:47 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: trangie]
ysmay Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
One thing I miss here in the city is not having my garden. I was never too big on growing vegetables, but I loved doing flowers (more than they loved me, unfortunately). I had a great little shade garden, though, with coleus and hostas (plantain lilies) and lily of the valley and some annuals that I loved. So I miss hands in the dirt.

Agony, I grew up in Saskatchewan and I always got so impatient waiting for the Queen's Birthday weekend in May before I planted. I learned the hard way - I planted early and ended up with snow on my petunias.

There are lots of flowers and produce here, but it's not the same as planting and nurturing your own.

Y

#446194 - Tue May 05 2009 10:17 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: trangie]
MarchHare007 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

Hi trangie,
I know that feeling!

Is your stag board or tree mounted?
If on a board and small enough to move, put it in a shallow hole in a protected spot - enough to 'tuck in in' with compost around it - not soil as it will affect your board and wiring, soak it well and leave it till you see some new shields forming; shouldn't take long with the cooler weather.

If on a tree - I've packed mine with cocoa peat or moss and soaked it slowly.
Twice I've relocated one to get the right aspect - south to south easterly seems perfect.
They Do usually come back.

It's been hard to even keep shade over some areas after the scorching days fried overhead protection from normally protected plants.

My magnolias are happily budding - they're bald but happy!
The lavenders weren't weeded around and have survived the 46C days we had very well - now they'll probably die of root rot or something similar!
The fruit trees are starting to rest after being fried and anything else that isn't losing leaves to sleep is relaxing in the coolness.
My herbs have Gone Nuts!

#446195 - Wed May 06 2009 01:17 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: MarchHare007]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Quote:

can anyone tell me how to revive a sunburnt staghorn? It is still partly alive on one side.

I was going to say put an umbrella over it.

#446196 - Thu May 07 2009 06:17 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: lady1]
ren33 Online   content

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Quote:

The lavenders weren't weeded around and have survived the 46C days we had very well - now they'll probably die of root rot or something similar!

Oh I envy you to have got so far with your Lavender!
I get so far, they grow to quite nice bushy plants , then I lose heart as they never seem to flower. Then they die of heat or wet root.
The roses are lovely this year, my helper is a genius at grafting, so we have lots of new ones. Then the orchids have really bloomed well, even though I abuse them terribly.

#446197 - Fri May 08 2009 02:29 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: ren33]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I forgot to say oak trees.
My son wanted his own forest and planted a dozen acorns in my front flowerbed a few years ago.
They all survived, the forest is about a metre tall now.
I've talked him into sneaking up to the Ashdown Forest and planting them there in the autumn, otherwise I'm going to have problems in another thirty years or so.

#446198 - Sat May 09 2009 09:31 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

We planted three new grapevines and four blueberry bushes. We got the garden expanded and the ditch dug out so now it's just down to getting plants and doing the planting.

#446199 - Sat Jun 13 2009 02:56 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Jabberwok]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I have a Master Gardener certificate, and in my "other life" (besides my full time job which has nothing to do with growing things) I do consulting and plot plans...soooo, of course, my personal yard looks like a neglected jungle of weeds for most of the growing season (which, here in Edmonton, lasts no more than 3 months when you add snow, drought, hail and untimely hard frosts into the equation!)

I feel like the person who is a carpenter for a living, but whose own cupboards are falling off the walls LOL.

I'd hire a garden/cabana boy in a heartbeat, but somehow I don't think hubby would approve <giggles>

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Jun 13 2009 03:02 PM)

#446200 - Sat Jun 13 2009 04:45 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: janetgool]
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
I have recently moved into a new house and haven't started on a garden in my new place yet. My old place had a huge garden but my new yard is much smaller so I think I will end up just grow a few vegetables in pots and plant a few flowers out the front.

I won't worry about it to spring which is months away.

#446201 - Sat Jun 13 2009 07:02 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Kuu]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
I'm in the process of tearing everything up so I can start it over. There are some box shrubs in front of the house I'm keeping, but I pulled up the stones (walkway) and I'm killing weeds first, then tilling it up and putting mulch in. I have found during my digging that a previous owner had a gravel walkway there and then let the grass grow over it. ARGH!

I'm not ready for a flower garden yet... I'll need someone to handle that for me. I have such a black thumb.

#446202 - Mon Jun 15 2009 05:33 AM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
At the moment, only dust. Our garden is a dumping ground for our builders who are in the process of adding a new story to the top of our house so we won't have a useable garden this summer

#446203 - Wed Jun 17 2009 02:25 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Snowman]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

We've had massive amounts of rain lately and two big hail storms. We're planning on replacing 5 cabbage, 4 peppers and at least 4 tomatoes. Our concern now is that things don't rot.

#446204 - Wed Jun 17 2009 04:33 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Well we've eaten some of the lettuce which we planted earlier in the year, have tasted the early raspberries and one or two strawberries, have harvested a couple of handfulls of red and black currants, lots of parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme and laurel.

Tonight we dined on freshly dug potatoes - a first time ever for me to eat homegrown. I couldn't possibly comment on their relative tastiness - an hour at the beach beforehand had built up a healthy appetite, and I can but be subjective about the quality of MY OWN HOME GROWN spuds They were DE-LI-CIOUS!!!

Looking forward to green and butter beans and courgettes later in the year, and hopefully a tomato harvest (the last two years have been a washout for the tomatoes).

I have peaches starting in the peach tree, and one of my baby plum trees is going to yield a little this year. Gardening is definitely not for the impatient (although I am an impatient person, normally).

We only have a small yard, so only harvest a small crop. However, I am constantly surprised at just how much variety we can get out of our little parcel of earth. We may only eat a half a dozen meals from our garden, but those few make all the work worthwhile. There's nothing more satisfying than reaping the rewards of all that earlier preparation and attention.

#446205 - Tue Jun 23 2009 01:06 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: Santana2002]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

It hailed again last night. Several things are completely destroyed. The peas will be picked tonight to avoid any further damage but nothing else is close to ready. When I heard it hailing last night, I couldn't even cry anymore. Very depressing.

#446206 - Tue Nov 17 2009 05:19 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

I imagine it's currently summer somewhere so does anyone have a garden going? we're up to our ankles in snow so I'm planning on living vicariously through those who are currently growing things.

#446207 - Sun Nov 29 2009 06:08 PM Re: What does your garden grow? [Re: rayven80]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
I'm picking raspberries at the moment. I have one bush, but have dug up some of the runners and transplanted them to another part of the garden, so should have a good sized patch in a while.

I threw an overripe tomato in the garden a couple of weeks ago and scuffed some earth over it that has turned into many seedlings which I really should thin out this week. My potatoes are going great guns (first time I've planted potatoes). I'd dug a trench for them, which is now hilled up. They should be ready in a couple of months. The cherry tomatoes are finished, but I see where some seedlings are coming up again.

The nice thing about living in a rainforest country, is for seven months of the year we get four hours of rain a day, so no need to water. We are approaching the dry season soon (called summer, even though we're in the northern hemisphere) so will need to use the hose on a daily basis soon.

edited to add: Just picked the first of the oranges yesterday, yum, fresh squeezed juice!

Edited by MadMags (Sun Nov 29 2009 06:13 PM)

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong