Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#450626 - Wed Dec 24 2008 06:46 AM What words and expressions should be revived
tnrees Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Taunton Somerset UK       
God rest you merry - an old greeting now only remembered and mispunctuated in the carol 'God rest you merry, gentlemen'.

#450627 - Fri Jul 10 2009 12:19 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: tnrees]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I don't know if it ought to be revived, but for awhile the Canadian government was running a campaign to make "chimo" the official Canadian greeting. It's a word in one of the Inuit languages for "hello". It never caught on, but my family does own a chimo mug that was acquired during the campaign.

One expression I'm glad to see less of is "my peeps" for "my people" or "my friends". That one drove me right up the wall whenever I heard it!

#450628 - Tue Jul 28 2009 07:25 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: LadyCaitriona]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Gadzooks! and Poppycock! so much more satisfying to exclaim than a random "curse word"

#450629 - Tue Jul 28 2009 07:28 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: Rowena8482]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
In Cornwall when someone is in trouble we say:
Aw Poor Soul too!
I still do say it sometimes.

#450630 - Tue Jul 28 2009 08:56 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: ren33]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
My mam says "poor soul" where I would be more likely to say "poor thing". She also says "oh rescue the perishing" when the weather is very bad.

#450631 - Tue Jul 28 2009 11:31 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: tnrees]
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
Gadzooks!

#450632 - Tue Jul 28 2009 03:24 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: fjohn]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Fair Dinkum, dead set, strewth
I live in a really coutry area where Australian slang is still alive but it is diminshing.

#450633 - Tue Jul 28 2009 11:50 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: Copago]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Let me see. Here's the one grandmother used to say, 'My Great Caeser's Ghost!'

#450634 - Wed Jul 29 2009 01:05 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: Bruyere]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I have an odd family, so some words exist within our little unit that are distinctive.

Balderdash, Sink me, cream-faced loon, lay on, phantasmagoria, popinjay...the list goes on.
And the dialect words from lowland Scots and Yorkshire
Then there's the random quoting from everything from Shakespeare and Chaucer to Monty Python and Discworld.
And the wordsmithing, where we make up words.
One of them is 'Jabberwocking' to describe babbling on about a subject.
However, in the company of others we tend to stick to standard English.

#450635 - Wed Jul 29 2009 01:54 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: Jabberwok]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
"I'll go to the foot of our stairs!"
My father in law

#779270 - Fri Mar 16 2012 01:04 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: ren33]
1madkittykat Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Tasmania Australia
I know it's not currently void, but I do rarely hear people say "botheration"
(Actually I haven't heard anyone except me say it; and the character of Charley, in the Dr Who audio adventures.)

I'd love to see more people use "botheration" than the various profanity which is most used at the moment.

#779312 - Fri Mar 16 2012 07:36 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: 1madkittykat]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Strewth, Copago! At least you get to hear it at the back of Bourke. It seems that the Aussie slang we grew up with is disappearing very quickly, especially in the cities. For ages we were concerned about the influence of US culture (movies and TV in particular) threatening the local vernacular, but I reckon texting and its various clones is a much bigger problem.

e.g. when was the last time you cacked yourself rather than 'lol'ed, or split your sides rather than 'rofl'ed?

Anyway enough of a nostalgic rant.

My phrase to reintroduce is 'bonza, mate' or 'grouse, mate'. translation: fantastic, great. Although 'strewth' comes a very close second!

#779578 - Sat Mar 17 2012 05:41 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: MikeMaster99]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
I still say "Strewth!" or "Strewth Ruth!" I want to keep the Aussie vernacular alive and it also lets me vocalise frustration in situations when stronger language would be inappropriate e.g. when at work or when there are kids around. smile You don't hear many people saying "beaut" these days. Something might be a beauty as in "What a beauty!" but not many say "That's beaut!"

#779592 - Sat Mar 17 2012 06:42 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: Tizzabelle]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
My mother used to say, in response to anything her children said but which she didn't quite believe, "and the squire's son was found dead in the ditch with his boots on" - which naturally disproved everything. If that expression made a comeback I might find out what it meant!

#779817 - Sun Mar 18 2012 05:04 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: flopsymopsy]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I still hear 'Crikey Moses' from time to time, I first heard it at 6th form college from one of the boys (ex public school from what I remember, although I never remember hearing it myself as I was there as well), I thought it was quite amusing the first time and glad it's still going. I doubt Blimey O'Reilly is going anywhere in a hurry, my friend's father used to say it and still fairly common in the less public school (and my own) circles.

Edited by satguru (Sun Mar 18 2012 05:05 PM)

UN IPCC

#779878 - Sun Mar 18 2012 09:39 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: satguru]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Hah! I say Blimey O'Reilly all the time!
I wonder what the origin of that is. Definitions went round when I was at school that "Bloody" was "By Our Lady", "Blimey" was "Blind me" and "Crikey" was "Christ Almighty."

#780234 - Tue Mar 20 2012 02:14 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I never thought of crikey, but had to be Christ something if I had, but my books have bloody in its literal meaning. If anyone wants more add them here as I have a library of word origins here.

UN IPCC

#810040 - Sat Jul 21 2012 11:36 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: satguru]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
I worked with someone who frequently exclaimed "gadzooks," which I always found quaint. My father's favourite 1940s-era term for anything he thought was wonderful was "That's real jazzy."

#810054 - Sat Jul 21 2012 01:17 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: sportsherald]
Jennings Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Surrey
England UK
"Moreish"

I had an Aunt who used this word, normally when referring to tasty food. I never hear it now, but I think it's a lovely word.

#810056 - Sat Jul 21 2012 01:20 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: sportsherald]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
And snazzy, too!

#810081 - Sat Jul 21 2012 04:42 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: mehaul]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Have you read "The Etymologicon" David? A really good , and funny read about (obviously) the origins of odd words, by Mark Forsyth, who has a website called The Inky Fool.

#810085 - Sat Jul 21 2012 05:40 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: ren33]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York City
My dad called me 'Tootsie', but it's probably a bit? sexist, now.

#810803 - Wed Jul 25 2012 09:46 PM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: postcards2go]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Gadzooks. I've never heard anyone I know say that in real life, but I certainly remember it from the martian (the great gazoo) on the Flintstones lol

Postcards2go: well maybe "now" (although it's not really that "bad" lol). There was (maybe still is) a shoe brand called "Tender tootsies" and because I always got blisters from all shoes except those about 20 years ago, the hubby called me "tt" for awhile. I know that sounds odd as well, but I think I kinda know where you're coming from (as in, it was originally intended to be a "cute"/affectionate sort of thing) : )

#823801 - Sat Sep 15 2012 09:15 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: Jakeroo]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
My Grandmother says “dunnerwetter” (it varies how often a week), and she doesn’t even know what it means. I’ve only heard her say it, and I’m sure growing up she heard it a lot. I looked it up the one day and thought, “you’re not using it right.” Her father, or someone like that, must have used it more like a curse word.

#824074 - Sun Sep 16 2012 07:06 AM Re: What words and expressions should be revived [Re: Jazmee27]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Quote:
My Grandmother says “dunnerwetter”

That sounds like her version of German Donnerwetter, which was heavily overused in films made in the 1950s and 1960s (and possibly even later) on World War II. wink It's a somewhat archaic, fairly mild expletive somewhere on the a scale ranging (in English from Ghosh and Golly to Cripes and to the but archaic Damn and blast it all.

The plain, literal meaning is archaic in German for thunderstorm, which in modern German is das Gewitter (pl. -).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  bloomsby