Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#451270 - Wed Dec 31 2008 03:04 PM Photo-a-day - January 2009
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Welcome to the January photo thread. The December thread will be left open for a while to allow for World time zones. It will close it once it is January 1st for everyone. Post in either thread (but not both) until then.

If anyone needs information on how to post photos, it can be found in the 'Photo posting guide' located at the top of the forum.

Happy New Year!

#451271 - Thu Jan 01 2009 11:30 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: tellywellies]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Well well, I seem to be the first entry for 2009!

This is a very artistic building I came across today just north of King's Cross station.

As we're on a trivia site does anyone know how they get the glass to do that with frames in between? I'd imagine they produce the wavy glass first and then cut it into squares but I wouldn't like to try.

#451272 - Thu Jan 01 2009 02:31 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: satguru]
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Starting the New Year off not so right with a photo of my desk at work. Okay, don't everyone run and hide all at once, as I know it is very messy. To be fair, though, it looks like this during the day when I am working, but when I leave and come back the next day, it is neat and tidy.

#451273 - Thu Jan 01 2009 08:55 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: JuniorTheJaws]
NancyBA Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina        
More photos from Mendoza, Argentina, to begin the new month and new year with a winding road , appropriately called "the 8 snails". Only one is visible in the photo but there are 8 indeed, one after the other!! i don't know how we survived!!

#451274 - Fri Jan 02 2009 01:24 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: NancyBA]
mc_shellsie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vancouver Island BC Canada
happy and blessed new year 2009 everyone...

"may peace break into your house and a thief steal all your debts ..."

i meant to comment on the end of december photos before the thread closed, there were so many outstanding ones i just loved. so thank you all for the pleasures you give to my eyes.

it's pretty unlivable here now with the weather ... while i go out with the camera, i easily lose heart creeping about on the treacherous ice ...

so a photo from a happier (and warmer!) summer ...
to celebrate the first day of our year, and this Holy day of Obligation.

Convent of the Holy Faith
Dublin, Ireland

"a kind deed is useless, unless it is done with love."

#451275 - Fri Jan 02 2009 01:24 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: NancyBA]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA

I hope everyone is off to a great start in 2009!

#451276 - Fri Jan 02 2009 01:26 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: mc_shellsie]
mc_shellsie Offline
Enthusiast

Satguru, that is a real puzzlement how they would do that! If you ever find the answer ... please share! Gorgeous, gorgeous roses BHS. Mmmmm, i think i can smell them !

Edited by mc_shellsie (Fri Jan 02 2009 01:28 AM)

#451277 - Fri Jan 02 2009 08:32 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: NancyBA]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

More photos from Mendoza, Argentina, to begin the new month and new year with a winding road , appropriately called "the 8 snails". Only one is visible in the photo but there are 8 indeed, one after the other!

I'm delighted to see more images of Argentine. I worked there some years ago, and particularly liked Mendoza and its surrounds - the huge vineyards, the pampas, and of course the Andes mountains overlooking the city
We've been in north Wales the past week, where it was extremely cold but bright and sunny. This is an early morning shot of the Snowdon Horseshoe taken from frozen Llynau Mymbyr

#451278 - Fri Jan 02 2009 09:46 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: picqero]
Tredici Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Greeley Colorado USA    
Wishing everyone a peaceful and prosperous 2009 - with the sound of many shutter clicks!

#451279 - Fri Jan 02 2009 11:01 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: Tredici]
NancyBA Offline
Enthusiast

well, it's great to begin the new year with these great pictures.
How nice that you've worked here picqero! and in beautiful places! your landscape is breathtaking!

loved the roses and the frozen twigs!

what a coincidence picqero, you missed the vineyards and I was thinking about posting a photo about that! so here it is, a beeautiful mendoza vineyard with the cordillera behind

can't wait to see more nice pics here! Have a good day

#451280 - Fri Jan 02 2009 11:42 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: NancyBA]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
Nancy,
My son lives in Buenos Aires. I'll be down there for a couple of weeks at the end of the month. We'll be going to the beach for most of the time. Argentina has beautiful beaches. I wanted to go to Mendoza, but his children would rather play in the sand then go taste wine!

#451281 - Fri Jan 02 2009 11:56 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: bhs63]
NancyBA Offline
Enthusiast

Hey, that's great! i really hope you enjoy it here! and if you're going to the beach the prettiest are Mar Azul, Mar de las Pampas, they are rather small villages with big beaches and woods all around. Tomorrow I'll post one so you can see. Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help you with when u come here!

#451282 - Fri Jan 02 2009 01:23 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: NancyBA]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
We're off to a good start for the year!

This is an older pic of an emu nest - they don't do much except put a few twigs on the ground.

#451283 - Fri Jan 02 2009 03:14 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: Copago]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
It looks like the future Emu on the left is destined be a leader amongst Emus. It's already standing (laying) apart

#451284 - Fri Jan 02 2009 04:24 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: tellywellies]
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Another view of my messy desk.

#451285 - Fri Jan 02 2009 06:16 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: JuniorTheJaws]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I've very much enjoyed seeing all the photos posted throughout the past year. This year looks like it will be no exception -- great snapshots are the norm!

Nancy, when you started posting photos of Mendoza I was just waiting to see the vineyards! Some of the worlds best Malbec is made there, in my humble opinion.

#451286 - Fri Jan 02 2009 06:54 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: Jar]
NancyBA Offline
Enthusiast

yes indeed! in my humble opinion too, though a bit biased don't you think
I'll be sending some bottles over to texas soon! haha!!

#451287 - Fri Jan 02 2009 07:31 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: NancyBA]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

If you're in Golders Green and want to come to my house, this is the bus you need.

#451288 - Fri Jan 02 2009 07:36 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: mc_shellsie]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Satguru, that is a real puzzlement how they would do that! If you ever find the answer ... please share!

I've had a good look and can see the pattern. It's a repeat (they usually are to save money on custom builds) of two in and two out. Each set is a column of two equal curves either side, and then each is joined to the next facing the other way, producing an overall even ripple, with a single row either end. Most complex buildings can be broken down into parts or the builders would be on triple time.

#451289 - Fri Jan 02 2009 08:36 PM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: satguru]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
What a great bunch of photos to start the year! Nancy, that road is scary!

This is what I'd call a fairly typical grey January day, taken when I walked to the store this afternoon for bread. It wasn't too cold, which was good, and the sun was out just a few minutes before I took this, so I really shouldn't complain.

#451290 - Sat Jan 03 2009 12:22 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: spanishliz]
NancyBA Offline
Enthusiast

it's gray but it has its appeal, especially because of the snow! I only got to see it once when it snowed in buenos aires last year after more than 50 years or so! and in my trips to the south but I was 9 then so I don't remember much! just saw it in mountain tops.
Looking forward to seeing more snow, more of London, more messy desks (wait till u see mine ) and more of everything! good night folks! (it's 4:20 am here, zzz...)

#451291 - Sat Jan 03 2009 12:34 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: NancyBA]
mc_shellsie Offline
Enthusiast

Copago, those emu eggs are incredible, judging by the size of the boots, they must be quite a size. Are they blue? Or black?

Amazing. Satguru, that's quite a way they have of doing it ... that kind of engineering always amazes me, what the human mind can conceive. The Scottish Parliament was an architectural wonder like that ... was so impressed .....so,
some Japanese food before hopping on the bus to your house i see!

Brrrr... looks so cold everywhere in all
your great photos ...

Blizzarding again, it's being an awesome winter here this year on
the island - (where it NEVER snows)...
ha!
Nanaimo, B.C.

Edited by mc_shellsie (Sat Jan 03 2009 12:37 AM)

"a kind deed is useless, unless it is done with love."

#451292 - Sat Jan 03 2009 10:09 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: NancyBA]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

what a coincidence picqero, you missed the vineyards and I was thinking about posting a photo about that! so here it is, a beeautiful mendoza vineyard with the cordillera behind

I always buy Mendoza wine when I see it, and it's always very good. One of my tasks in Mendoza was assessing the possible access damage costs for high voltage lines crossing the vineyards, so I really did have a good look at them!
Here's another image from Wales, sunset over Caernarfon Bay. This is just how it looked; even though the sun was still quite high, the sky was a dark shade of orange tinged with deep blue. It was extremely cold, so I imagine there must have been some sort of effect of ice crystals in the air ?

#451293 - Sat Jan 03 2009 10:39 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: picqero]
Tredici Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Greeley Colorado USA    
Beautiful Picqero. This forum lets one travel the world.

#451294 - Sat Jan 03 2009 11:03 AM Re: Photo-a-day - January 2009 [Re: Tredici]
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Such a variety from all and some beautiful shots here! Thank you, as always.

(Dear hardworking Agnes, do you need me to come and help you with that poor desk of yours? )

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy