A prominent feature of the Headland, St Hilda's church was built in the late twelfth
century but the south doorway shows in its decoration that it belonged to an earlier
Norman church, probably erected in the time of Robert de Brus II, founder of
Guisborough Priory. Like most ancient churches, St Hilda's contains architecture of
different periods and styles but the nave and tower are the oldest sections.
There was a monastery, founded by St Aidan, on the headland as early as AD 640. The
first abbess was St Bega. In 648 she was succeeded by St Hilda. Hilda remained here for
ten years and then proceeded to Whitby, where she died in 680. The Hartlepool
monastery was destroyed by Danish raiders in about 800.
Among the knights who came with William the Conqueror in 1066 was Robert de Brus.
His son married Agnes, the daughter of the Lord of the Manor at Hart, thus starting a
connection with Hartlepool which lasted for many generations. It is generally
believed that St Hilda's was built by the grandson of Robert and Agnes, Robert de Brus
IV - hence the Bruce Chapel and Tomb.