Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#459399 - Thu Feb 12 2009 11:15 PM about interesting information
ZZZ22 Offline
Participant

Loc: California USA
WHile playing some quizzes, the only information quiz authors can come up with is like:

"The incorrect answers were something, this, and that."

What's up with that?

#459400 - Fri Feb 13 2009 12:31 AM Re: about interesting information
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Quote:

WHile playing some quizzes, the only information quiz authors can come up with is like:

"The incorrect answers were something, this, and that."

What's up with that?

Those are from much older quizzes before the standards were as high as they are now.

- William Blake

#459401 - Fri Feb 13 2009 12:03 PM Re: about interesting information
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:

Those are from much older quizzes before the standards were as high as they are now.

That's basically it. Nowadays, most categories (excluding Brain Teasers) require factual, additive info for each question. That info should not simply restate an answer and it shouldn't be your own personal opinion.

#459402 - Wed Mar 11 2009 07:33 PM Re: about interesting information
emerald_door Offline
Participant

Loc: North Carolina USA
I'm wondering how many people really read all the interesting information. I read it sometimes, if I'm really interested, or have a question.

#459403 - Wed Mar 11 2009 08:02 PM Re: about interesting information
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

I'm not sure. Personally, I write more info because I know that regardless, there are people out there that will appreciate it.

#459404 - Wed Mar 11 2009 08:37 PM Re: about interesting information
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
If it looks like some thought has ben put into the interesting information, I read it. When it is comments like, "I hope you got that because it is really easy," I stop reading and usually rate the quiz lower. I am disappointed when there is no interesting info. It tends to help me learn the right answer when there is something clever or interesting to add to the nugget of knowledge.

#459405 - Wed Mar 11 2009 09:26 PM Re: about interesting information
emerald_door Offline
Participant

Loc: North Carolina USA
It's good to know that some people read it, because it takes a lot of time to research and write the interesting info.

#459406 - Wed Mar 11 2009 09:31 PM Re: about interesting information
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha NebraskaUSA
Quote:

I'm not sure. Personally, I write more info because I know that regardless, there are people out there that will appreciate it.

Amen. Without the interesting info, it's not a funtrivia quiz.

#459407 - Wed Mar 11 2009 09:33 PM Re: about interesting information
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa OntarioCanada
To be honest, I often skip over it, unless it's a totally new topic to me and I'm very interested in learning more, or if I got something wrong and I want to know why. I do enjoy adding interesting stuff to my own quizzes, though.

Also, I dislike quizzes that have an essay's worth of interesting info for each question.. I don't have the patience to sit here and read that much, in this specific format (i.e. in the little interesting info box)

#459408 - Wed Mar 11 2009 10:26 PM Re: about interesting information
jmorrow Offline
Prolific

Loc: Singapore
I have the same problem that GG has reading long interesting info when I play in flash mode, which is why I like the fact that, at the end of a quiz, the site whisks you to a page that displays all the questions together with all the interesting information. If I encounter a quiz with essay-length info, I usually give up reading it as I play, and read it all through at the end!

#459409 - Thu Mar 12 2009 02:50 AM Re: about interesting information
Lottie1001 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Westmorland UK
I'm another one who doesn't read the interesting information if it's too long. I find it particularly hard to read when there are no paragraphs - a whole screenful (and sometimes more on my aged monitor) without any breaks at all is just too much to cope with. I do feel guilty about it, because I know somebody's spent a lot of time on it.

On a related subject - I really appreciate it when the quiz author takes the time to explain why wrong answers are wrong, as well as telling me more about the right answer.

#459410 - Thu Mar 12 2009 10:26 AM Re: about interesting information
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Prior to the rules now (every question must have interesting info), what were the rules? Also, this is probably a stretch but I'm interested to know, when (or approximately when) was the rule changed?

#459411 - Thu Mar 12 2009 10:40 AM Re: about interesting information
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, VirginiaUSA
As far as I know, there wasn't a rule on II. I'm not sure when it was changed, however.

#459412 - Thu Mar 12 2009 10:51 AM Re: about interesting information
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Sometime in the summer of '03, as I remember it. Before that, II was encouraged, and I believe there was a rule about having it for at least half the questions.

#459413 - Thu Mar 12 2009 12:58 PM Re: about interesting information
darksplash Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tyrone
NorthernIrelandUK
What irks me is people who send correction notices about things that were explained in the II.
For example, I did a quiz that had "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" as a correct answer and I got loads of notes telling me the movie was called "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" when, if they'd read the II, people would have seen the explanation that it's only called sorcerer's stone in the USA.

#459414 - Thu Mar 12 2009 05:05 PM Re: about interesting information
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

What irks me is people who send correction notices about things that were explained in the II.
For example, I did a quiz that had "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" as a correct answer and I got loads of notes telling me the movie was called "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" when, if they'd read the II, people would have seen the explanation that it's only called sorcerer's stone in the USA.

What's worse is that I've had people tell me that I've spelled words like 'humour' and 'favourite' incorrectly in my quiz. When I tell them I'm from Canada, they say: "Oh, that's alright then."
I don't think I've had a worse comment than that.

#459415 - Fri Mar 13 2009 03:43 AM Re: about interesting information
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool DurhamEnglandUK
Quote:

Quote:

What's worse is that I've had people tell me that I've spelled words like 'humour' and 'favourite' incorrectly in my quiz. When I tell them I'm from Canada, they say: "Oh, that's alright then."

I had one telling me I missed a period - now to an English person that has a whole different meaning than it has for an American

#459416 - Fri Mar 13 2009 04:27 AM Re: about interesting information
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I had one telling me I missed a period - now to an English person that has a whole different meaning than it has for an American

No, that means the same thing in the US. Usually cause for either great celebration or a serious "Oh, ****" moment. Not uncommonly, both.

#459417 - Fri Mar 13 2009 05:34 AM Re: about interesting information
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool DurhamEnglandUK
Ah - but here it no "punctuational significance" shall we say

#459418 - Fri Mar 13 2009 08:09 AM Re: about interesting information
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
That's a difficult one to express - if you say "you are missing a period (full stop)" the American quiz writers get confused, don't understand what that (full stop) is doing there.

#459419 - Fri Mar 13 2009 09:01 AM Re: about interesting information
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
That's funny. I am American, but I understand "full stop" when I hear it.

Sue

#459420 - Fri Mar 13 2009 11:50 AM Re: about interesting information
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Ah - but here it no "punctuational significance" shall we say

OH! So it ONLY means that potentially life-changing dearth of activity! Gotcha!

#459421 - Fri Mar 13 2009 01:30 PM Re: about interesting information
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa OntarioCanada
Quote:

That's a difficult one to express - if you say "you are missing a period (full stop)" the American quiz writers get confused, don't understand what that (full stop) is doing there.

Couldn't you just say "There's a period missing after the word 'Blahblah' ?

But that is a funny correction note

#459422 - Fri Mar 13 2009 03:40 PM Re: about interesting information
Triviaballer Online   content
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
I really don't understand why so much interesting information is required. We aren't writing an essay on the topic, we're merely providing a nice little question and answer quiz on it. If I want more information on something, I'll look on Wikipedia or another source. I don't think it should be the quizwriter's obligation to provide interesting info. I think that outside of a cool factoid or two is excessive and erodes the fun and quick aspect that is quiz-taking and trivia. When you're doing a pub quiz the moderator doesn't stop after each question and spout off random, forced information about the topic. I think a lot more quizzes could be put online if the interesting info wasn't required and so stringent. Just my fifty cents :-)

#459423 - Fri Mar 13 2009 04:36 PM Re: about interesting information
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
I am all for Interesting Information. Granted, sometimes there can be too much (I think I've been guilty of this) and you don't always want to bother reading it. But for me, if it's a topic I love, the II is a fun part of the writing process. And there have been many times I've seen a question (in a quiz, or an hourly) that piqued my curiosity, something surprising, unexpected, or that I just didn't know, but it has no II. I don't necessarily want to go research it, but it's nice when there are some extra tidbits attached. To me, it also serves as a sign that the author worked hard, and cares about more than numbers.

It's not like it is forced on those who don't care to read it, the option is always there to skip it. I just think it's a nice touch for those who do read it - and I have gotten compliments regarding II, so I know there must be a few who do read it.

Edited by darthrevan89 (Fri Mar 13 2009 04:38 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  agony