Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#460663 - Wed Feb 25 2009 10:24 AM Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
Happy Birthday funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Hello,

I have been working on a quiz since December 24th, and have completed it (I think - still needs triple-checked for errors). It is a quiz that belongs in the "movie" section of the website.

Out of the ten questions that I have, two cannot be answered by merely watching the film. One is a "which actor plays CHARACTER" question, and the other is "Who wrote most of the music for the film?". I know that unless an author is deemed "experienced", that behind the scenes questions aren't encouraged. So should I change those questions, or is it fine to leave them be? Thank you so much for your time!

funnybuni

#460664 - Wed Feb 25 2009 12:46 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
kitkat121080 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Philly PennsylvaniaUSA
Hi funnibuni, I'm not an editor but I would say that you have to change those questions. I did a similar thing in the past and the editor asked me to rewrite them. It's really not that hard to write two more questions about the movie if it's one you love. Good luck!

#460665 - Wed Feb 25 2009 01:45 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
Enthusiast

Thanks. I changed the questions.

#460666 - Wed Feb 25 2009 05:29 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Watching the show also encompasses the credits. For example, in Television, feel free to ask who played what character as that is included in the show's credits.

Editor for Television Category

#460667 - Wed Feb 25 2009 10:43 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I edit in Movies, and both of those questions are acceptable, as they can be answered from watching the movie and the credits, as ladymacb says. We discourage too many straight "Who played..." questions as it can become a case of opening the movie's page at imdb or similar to answer the questions, but one or two are allowed. We like it even better if you ask "Who played the one-eyed sheriff?" rather than "Who played Sheriff Smith?" That makes it more likely that a player needs to have seen the film, and isn't just working from a cast list.

Spanishliz
Editor in Movies, Geography, Sports and Crosswords

#460668 - Wed Feb 25 2009 11:48 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
kitkat121080 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Philly PennsylvaniaUSA
In my instance, I wrote for a movie question, who wrote the book the movie was based off of and the editor asked me to rewrite the question with something else because it didn't apply to the movie but it is listed in the opening credits.

That is why I answered that way. Sorry funnibuni for giving you the wrong info!

#460669 - Thu Feb 26 2009 08:24 AM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
Enthusiast

It is all right, KitKat! What is actually quite funny is that I wound up changing those questions and adding different ones, and then one I had been confident was fine all along, was a number one that needed changed!

I actually do have a question about that, though. If you asked the question "how old is the character so-and-so", and gave the answers "15, 17, 19, 20", would it be acceptable to change it to "fifteen, seventeen, nineteen, or twenty"? Am I making any sense? It it against the guidelines to use the numbers, but not spelling it out? Or is neither one acceptable in movies?

#460670 - Thu Feb 26 2009 08:30 AM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington OntarioCanada
Numbers are numbers whetrher they are written as digits or words. So changing 17 to seventeen wouldn't change the question at all.
We have found that questions like these score poorly and quizzes that contain them are rated poorly.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#460671 - Fri Feb 27 2009 09:49 AM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
root17 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Rochester NewYorkUSA
Hi funnybuni, here's another option for questions on obscure movies and books that the average person probably wouldn't know. Pick the three wrong answers so that a reasonably knowledge player on the subject can eliminate those three wrong answers by process of elimination. For example, in my quiz "Enigma and Bletchley Park Codebreakers" this is a question:

Q. The Enigma code machine was initially developed to allow banks and railways to encode secret messages (although the name "Enigma" came later). Who invented this machine? (Hint: He died before World War II started.)

Arthur Scherbius
Klaus Barbie
Joseph Goebbels
Albert Speer

Klaus Barbie, Joseph Goebbels and Albert Speer were all significant figures in World War II. Scherbius died in 1929.

Edited by root17 (Fri Feb 27 2009 09:51 AM)

#460672 - Mon Mar 23 2009 12:35 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
Maybe one of the movie editors can correct me if I'm wrong. My perception is that questions about a character's age can be asked IF the specific age of the character is important to the plot of the story (e.g., something happens on a particular birthday or at that specific age for the character that is central to the plot).

For example, to ask what age Brittney Spears' character is in "Crossroads" with a question like "Britney Spears character was a) In grammar school b) In middle school c) Seventeen - she just got her license d) 22 - she was a late bloomer. The correct answer here would be c) 17 because it was important to know that she was not quite an adult yet, which was important for certain of the plot twists.

From what I understand, it's just when there are nit-picky questions that have no connection to the story at all are there that quizzes get rated lower, right?

Sue

Edited by shuehorn (Mon Mar 23 2009 04:37 PM)

#460673 - Mon Mar 23 2009 03:15 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington OntarioCanada
Actually we strongly discourage numeric questions, no matter how stressed the number has been in the movie.

Should have read your question more thoroughly before hitting submit! A question like the one you suggested, where only one answer is really a number, would probably squeak through. But one that gave answer choices of 15. 16. 17. 18 would not.

Edited by skunkee (Mon Mar 23 2009 03:17 PM)

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#460674 - Mon Mar 23 2009 04:41 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
Thanks, skunkee. There are actually two numerical answers among my options, but there was a spread in their values, so I thought it was less "tricky" and hence more acceptable. I guess the best thing would be to phrase all of them as non-numerical descriptors (She just got her license, but she's still too young to vote in the US) or something like that, because when quiz takers think a question is too tricky or is hard just for the sake of being hard, it is not well-received. If my own experience reflects that of others here, I don't mind questions with exact answers regarding dates or ages or the like, except when those pieces of info seem arbitrary and meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Sue

Edited by shuehorn (Mon Mar 23 2009 04:47 PM)

#460675 - Tue Mar 24 2009 03:21 PM Re: Movie Quiz Question - Behind the Scenes Question?
Enthusiast

Wow - I forgot about this question! I love the idea of not using numbers for the age. Completely brilliant.

Moderator:  agony