Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#460755 - Wed Feb 25 2009 05:06 PM Links in Quizzes
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
Something in the back of my mind is telling me this is not acceptable, but I thought I'd ask. I am writing a quiz, the information in which is based around facts gathered from a single website. Would it be proper to link this website at the end of my quiz, and give quiztakers an opportunity to read further on the subject? Thanks!

#460756 - Wed Feb 25 2009 05:45 PM Re: Links in Quizzes
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I know that some editors in some categories don't allow it, because websites can change constantly, and in 2 years it might not even be online at all. Perhaps rather than giving a direct link, you could mention that there is more to learn on the subject and say something like "There are many websites out there about Mr. Jones and his tomato plants. Look them up if you're interested" or something like that.

Edited to add: there are some exceptions, for example if you're doing a direct quote. In that case, though, I think it's still better to say something like "On his band's official website Mr. X says ....." rather than giving the exact link.

Edited by guitargoddess (Wed Feb 25 2009 05:52 PM)

#460757 - Wed Feb 25 2009 07:55 PM Re: Links in Quizzes
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
Thank you, guitargoddess! Expiration of a link didn't occur to me - that's a good reason not to include them. I'm not taking any direct quotes from the site, just using it as an outline of a certain product's history, so I think I will nix the link idea.

#460758 - Wed Feb 25 2009 08:27 PM Re: Links in Quizzes
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:

I know that some editors in some categories don't allow it, because websites can change constantly, and in 2 years it might not even be online at all.

This is exactly the reason. It's also a reason many quizzes about online gaming, websites in general, and even Funtrivia itself are frequently disallowed.
Certain quizzes about online games and viral videos are restricted for the same point.

Moderator:  agony