Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#462644 - Sun Mar 08 2009 12:53 PM Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Just something I've been pondering on for a fair while and wondering if it's ever been discussed before and, if so, what the outcome was.

I really enjoy writing quizs but I'm also a bit of a 'badge lover' too. I've just got my 50th on line and got my badge and now need another 50 for my next one - don't get me wrong I don't write quizs to get the badges but it's a nice bonus.

My question is to do with the number of questions in a quiz. Some quiz topics don't lend themselves to more than 10 questions but others I would love to write more on but there is the basic reality that a quiz only counts as one quiz wether it's got 10 or 25 questions and it takes a lot more work to write a 25 question quiz than a 10 question.

I personally love doing the longer quizs too and would love to see more of them online but I wonder if others sometimes think "I can probably write two 10 question quizs in the time it takes me to write one 25 question one."

I'm not saying it's exactly double because coming up with the idea is part of the process but maybe the extra 5 questions makes a 25 question quiz equal to two 10 question ones.

There's probably things I haven't thought of too but I guess that's why I'm posting it

#462645 - Sun Mar 08 2009 01:07 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
There's nothing wrong with splitting up one quiz idea into two or three quizzes. It's not frowned upon if you're doing it to try to increase your number of quizzes online quickly. In many ways, it's preferred. The general seems to be to that 10-question quizzes are preferred (though personally I also like the longer ones). And most categories encourage 10-question quizzes, unless you have a reason for writing a longer one (like one quiz that covers all FT categories, or an A-Z kinda thing). Read guidelines carefully though, because there are some categories that require 10-Q quizzes only, or maybe 15 in some exceptions. I think those are the best options; if you can think of more than 15 questions, go for two separate 10-Q quizzes rather than one 20-Q one.

#462646 - Sun Mar 08 2009 01:23 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
For Children for example specifies that the quiz must be 10 questions in length.

#462647 - Sun Mar 08 2009 01:48 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Many editors don't like 25 question quizzes at all, and will limit them, so please feel free to make "Part one" and "Part two" if you like. A win/win situation - you increase your quiz count, the quizzes are easier to edit, and may get more play.

#462648 - Sun Mar 08 2009 01:55 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
darthrevan89 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Texas USA
Oftentimes I've found that 20 or 25Q quizzes tend to drag on a bit, and I will admit to a tendency of avoidance toward them. Although, when I was going for Best in Class and wanted to get the most "bang for my buck," being limited on the number of counting quizzes, I did look for longer quizzes.

But, as a quiz author, I'm all for getting two quizzes for the price of one.

#462649 - Sun Mar 08 2009 02:33 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
In Video Games, we only grant 20/25 question quizzes in special instances. Otherwise, there's typically no reason as to why a quiz can't be split into 10/15 questions. Surprisingly though, those who submit 20/25 question quizzes tend to be relatively newer QMs who figure it to be better, but usually they get less plays because of their length.

#462650 - Sun Mar 08 2009 04:00 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
There are one or two longer quizzes I wrote that I now wish I'd split into 10 question ones. For the 15s it's tricky, can you find 5 more, or do you take 5 out, but now I think I would always write two 10 question quizzes rather than one 20.

#462651 - Sun Mar 08 2009 04:33 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
In Television, we don't allow 20 and 25 question quizzes unless you have a specific reason and receive prior permission. The longer quizzes aren't played as often and are generally rated poorer than two quizzes totaling the same number of questions.

Editor for Television Category

#462652 - Sun Mar 08 2009 04:39 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
My own personal feeling (as an author, not necessarily an editor) - if you've so far thought of 12 questions for your quiz, it's usually better to cut out the two weakest ones, rather than dredge the bottom of your barrel to come up with three more to make a 15 question quiz.

It's not unusual, as an editor, to see a 20 question quiz by a newish author that has as many as 8 questions that are really just filler.
"Where was he born?" "When was he born", "What High School did he go to?" could go together to make one question with a nice informative interesting info section, instead of three skimpy and lacklustre questions.

#462653 - Sun Mar 08 2009 10:36 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks for all your input guys - really informative and helpful.

It's amazing how different people are and surprising to learn that the longer quizs are less played.

For some of my 'longer' ideas I will do two 10s or a 10 & 15 if necessary and label them part one and two.

I just thought this might look like I was more interested in the badge than the quizs so I'm glad to know this is accepted practise.

#462654 - Mon Mar 09 2009 06:34 AM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
stedman Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London England UK         
I've got a fairly old 25-question quiz online that I now think would work much better as either a 10 and a 15 - or even 3 tens, with 5 extra questions. I think when I put it together, I just wanted to see if I could do it, without regard to the overall experience for players.

But what would be the response from editors if I proposed reworking it now? I can see it might be a problem - especially as I would end up with 1 or 2 "new" quizzes made up of existing questions.

#462655 - Tue Mar 10 2009 07:21 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

I've got a fairly old 25-question quiz online that I now think would work much better as either a 10 and a 15 - or even 3 tens, with 5 extra questions. I think when I put it together, I just wanted to see if I could do it, without regard to the overall experience for players.

But what would be the response from editors if I proposed reworking it now? I can see it might be a problem - especially as I would end up with 1 or 2 "new" quizzes made up of existing questions.

I'm not an editor, but I've seen many posts from editors that say not to change the number of questions in a quiz.

#462656 - Tue Mar 10 2009 08:42 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:

I'm not an editor, but I've seen many posts from editors that say not to change the number of questions in a quiz.

I'd say that's about right. It throws off the scores and ratings scheme.
I've personally had someone take a quiz offline to change five questions and add an extra five, then resubmit. The quiz couldn't go back online because of all the changes made to it after the fact.

#462657 - Tue Mar 10 2009 10:19 PM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

stedman, have a look at this thread.

It will explain some of the reasons why.

#462658 - Wed Mar 11 2009 06:29 AM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
stedman Offline
Mainstay

I kind of thought that would be the position. It was just an idle thought, but thanks for your comments, folks.

#462659 - Thu Mar 12 2009 04:05 AM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
stedman Offline
Mainstay

Other comments have also made me think twice about a quiz that I have completed (but not submitted). It has one question from each quiz category, and thus runs to 20Qs, but I may now turn it into two 10Q quizzes.

#462660 - Thu Mar 12 2009 05:58 AM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

I did do one of those Stedman but I did keep the 20 questions for it. To me that one did seem like it was cheating to split.

'All the catagories' to me is 20 questions and I would expect to see all 20 if I did the quiz BUT that is just how I personally felt, I'm not making a judgement on you if it's how you want to go.

#462661 - Thu Mar 12 2009 10:39 AM Re: Number of Questions in A Quiz vs Number of Quizs
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Quote:

Other comments have also made me think twice about a quiz that I have completed (but not submitted). It has one question from each quiz category, and thus runs to 20Qs, but I may now turn it into two 10Q quizzes.

I'd leave it at 20, since there are 20 categories. Those make *reasonable* sense to have a 20Q quiz.

Moderator:  agony