Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#463739 - Thu Mar 19 2009 11:07 PM Becoming an editor
cherubrokker Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Toowoomba Queensland Australia
I'd really like to expand my FunTrivia experience and become volunteer editor. How do I do this? Are there certain requirements?

#463740 - Thu Mar 19 2009 11:09 PM Re: Becoming an editor
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada

#463741 - Thu Mar 19 2009 11:11 PM Re: Becoming an editor
cherubrokker Offline
Forum Adept

Yeah I just found the sticky.

#463742 - Fri Mar 20 2009 01:43 AM Re: Becoming an editor
cherubrokker Offline
Forum Adept

It looks like you get chosen, how do you let someone know you have an interest in becoming an editor?

#463743 - Fri Mar 20 2009 02:00 AM Re: Becoming an editor
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:

It looks like you get chosen, how do you let someone know you have an interest in becoming an editor?

It seems to me like you already have.
As long as you continue to be active on the site, maintain a good track record with quizzes and consistently write and play, then you'll be a strong candidate. I'm not sure if any of the categories are looking for positions at the moment, but we usually let potential candidates know when spots open.

#463744 - Fri Mar 20 2009 02:54 AM Re: Becoming an editor
stedman Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London England UK         
But don't hold your breath! I've been here for over 5 years, have 40+ quizzes online (over half with sunglasses), and am in the top 200 players points-wise.

But no-one has ever asked me :-(

#463745 - Fri Mar 20 2009 07:29 AM Re: Becoming an editor
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Oh, poor Stedman

It sounds like something that might be interesting to do in the future for me, but not right now (for various reasons).

#463746 - Fri Mar 20 2009 10:37 PM Re: Becoming an editor
Triviaballer Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
I found the whole applying for the editor position really poorly set up. There is no feedback from the area that you're applying to. I mean is it really too much to ask to receive a simple response like "We're sorry but someone else was picked for the spot, thanks for your interest."? I felt that I was highly qualified and unless there were hundreds of applicants (which I highly doubt there were) then at least some response should be given to people that take the time to apply for a voluntary position to help the site. Quiz wait times are way too long in some categories and I think more editors could help lessen this.

#463747 - Sat Mar 21 2009 12:11 AM Re: Becoming an editor
wdstk Offline
Prolific

Loc: Woodstock Illinois USA        
There are some areas where there are several editors but you see only one working. You notice this now that The Buzz lists the editor of a new quiz.

#463748 - Sat Mar 21 2009 03:19 AM Re: Becoming an editor
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

There are some areas where there are several editors but you see only one working. You notice this now that The Buzz lists the editor of a new quiz.

Yes, you might only see the ones placing a quiz online. That doesn't mean the other editors are not "working". Taking care of correction notes, editing quizzes for a few rounds before they're ready to go online, it all needs to be done but doesn't show up on the buzz.

#463749 - Sat Mar 21 2009 12:48 PM Re: Becoming an editor
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: California USA
Right now, we aren't looking for any new editors.

When we are, our first choice is to nominate people we have worked with- people who create fine, error-free quizzes and who have demonstrated that they have the personal skills necessary to work calmly and compassionately with a wide variety of quiztakers, some of whom may be very young, non-English speakers, rude, etc.

If we still have positions open, then we do announce an application process here in this forum. This is quite rare; I think we have done it twice in the last five years or so.

Not everyone who has been around a long time and written lots of quizzes will be invited to be an editor. Don't take it personally.

#463750 - Sat Mar 21 2009 01:21 PM Re: Becoming an editor
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I think the biggest issue is that we really don't look for editors often at all. So it's not that YOU are being ignored, it's just that the whole idea of "new editors" simply is nowhere near the top our minds 99% of the time.

We have incredibly low turnover. We've got a bunch of editors who have been here 5 years, and some who have been here since day 1.

I have no doubt that we could bring on a ton of new editors and place 100 quizzes online each day, but frankly that sort of frantic pace isn't something that I'm interested in. It's all about quality over quantity these days, so there's no rush to expand the number of editors.

#463751 - Mon Mar 23 2009 04:42 PM Re: Becoming an editor
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Quote:

It's all about quality over quantity these days.

Good to hear, mate. Makes me glad and proud to be associated with the site.

Moderator:  agony