Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#464439 - Sun Mar 29 2009 11:49 AM How to find out where it's linked?
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
I created this quiz a few weeks ago, and while it was semi-popular, nothing huge. All of a sudden, starting last night, it has been getting TONS of guest hits. Well, not quite tons, but you catch my drift. I imagine that it has been linked on some website, all the visitors to that website are coming to play it. Is there any way I could find out where those visitors are coming from (or any way an editor could tell me)? Thanks!

#464440 - Sun Mar 29 2009 12:00 PM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
wdstk Offline
Prolific

Loc: Woodstock IllinoisUSA
Try googling it. Lots of times when I google something Fun Trivia is listed as a choice.

#464441 - Sun Mar 29 2009 01:02 PM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've found a couple of mine by googling the subject matter.

For example, my quiz on Susan Howatch's books was being linked to from a Susan Howatch discussion group on Yahoo. I found them by googling Susan Howatch Quiz. Most of the hits were my quiz, but near the bottom of the page I found someone saying "Here's a good Susan Howatch quiz you might like to play...." and that was the link.

This doesn't always work. I have another quiz that I am sure is linked to somewhere, as it gets far more guest plays than it should. However, I've never been able to figure out where they are coming from - the subject matter is too common. The link I'm looking for is probably on google page 57....

#464442 - Sun Mar 29 2009 01:15 PM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

This doesn't always work. I have another quiz that I am sure is linked to somewhere, as it gets far more guest plays than it should. However, I've never been able to figure out where they are coming from - the subject matter is too common. The link I'm looking for is probably on google page 57....

Exactly my problem. I will survive, I suppose, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a hidden feature on the site somewhere, that could tell you when your quiz was a direct link somewhere else. Maybe in the future it will be a privilege for Gold Members, or something of the like.

Thanks, anyhow!

#464443 - Sun Mar 29 2009 04:32 PM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool DurhamEnglandUK
I've sometimes noticed that a quiz that has been online for a while with maybe a couple of plays a week, will suddenly get anything up to 10 plays all on the same day, and often wondered why. It never occurred to me it could be linked somewhere! I'll be googling away next time it happens lol, to see if that's why...

#464444 - Sun Mar 29 2009 06:39 PM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington OntarioCanada
It could be the Buzz quiz of the hour.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#464445 - Mon Mar 30 2009 08:52 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Once or twice one of mine has been Quiz of the hour, but you can tell from the timing of the plays when that's the case. (and I ALWAYS manage to miss them )
The ones I mean here are different, the plays will be over a longer time, a day or two, but 3 or 4 people will play one after the other, then a while later another 2 or 3 etc.

#464446 - Mon Mar 30 2009 10:39 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Oh! Mine could have been quiz of the hour? Crud... I wish there was a way to see past quizzes of the hour!

#464447 - Mon Mar 30 2009 10:53 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
If you get a whole whack of plays all within an hour, and mostly from registered members, you were probably quiz of the hour. If it's heavy play over the course of a few days, mostly from guests, you are probably being linked to from someone's website.

#464448 - Tue Mar 31 2009 04:03 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Quiz of the hour, all the plays will be between X:07 and X:07 o'clock if that makes sense. There might be one or two afterwards where people have seen it on the Buzz and thought it sounded interesting, but mostly within the hour.

#464449 - Tue Mar 31 2009 09:02 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

If it's heavy play over the course of a few days, mostly from guests, you are probably being linked to from someone's website.

Man, I am so linked from somewhere... but where? It is quite annoying that these players all know the answers to the questions, so my quiz is now rated as "average" - and yet their plays aren't counted? I think their plays shouldn't contribute to how "hard" your quiz is. But oh well!

#464450 - Tue Mar 31 2009 10:29 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
bucknallbabe Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Bedfordshire EnglandUK
If your title is something that a search engine may bring up when they are looking for something specific, people could be getting at it that way. For example, a lyrics quiz referring to the artist as well could be picked up by anyone searching for that artist's lyrics and then doing the quiz appeals. It need not be a specific link, just a result in a search. If that's a possibility, it might be worth bearing in mind when you decide on quiz titles.

#464451 - Tue Mar 31 2009 10:42 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth WesternAustralia
I'm not critiscing you here Funnybuni I'm just not sure I quite understand why you're are upset.

An 'average' rating doesn't mean the quiz is average just that it's difficulty level is average.

Did you want it to be rated difficult? In my experience (both from what I play and which of mine are played more) a quiz rated average often encourages others to play it which is a good thing.

#464452 - Wed Apr 01 2009 07:34 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

I'm not critiscing you here Funnybuni I'm just not sure I quite understand why you're are upset.

I'm not upset. I just find it a bit annoying that while the guest's plays aren't counted (except for the couple plays added to each member's play), it affects the difficulty. But oh well - no system can be perfect, and the FT one ranks pretty darn close, so...

I do enjoy having "difficult" quizzes, but I never expected the one I am talking about to be. I knew this one would be semi-popular.

#464453 - Wed Apr 01 2009 08:12 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
Of the three quizzes you have that are marked "Average" difficulty (and I thought it was interesting that hobbies on your profile page are listed as "I take pleasure in creating quizzes that are harder than 'average'. I also like obscure movies and books"), I can see why they would be less difficult to a garden-variety player. There's nothing wrong with a few less-difficult in the mix! Many people who take "Across the Universe" quizzes are fanatical about the film, and quizzes about a colorful period in US history (the 30s) and about a particular song's lyrics are easier to bone up on and do well in. A lot of your quizzes look interesting, and when my life is less hectic, I will revisit and give some of them a play!

Sue

#464454 - Wed Apr 01 2009 09:24 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks! I hope you enjoy them!

I enjoy challenges and like to give people some, but like I said, I have no problem with some quizzes being called "average". It's just a word, after all - sometimes they are hard for people, or they'd be called 'very easy' (which there is nothing wrong with!)!

#464455 - Thu Apr 09 2009 07:33 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
I've had an odd one today. Two people played one of my quizzes, and both sent me a compliment. *However*, it wasn't quiz of the hour (for the last 3 hours at least) and, even odder, the two players are not showing up in 'Recent plays' and, according to 'Scores', that quiz hasn't been played since March 31. I can send details by PM if anyone thinks that this needs investigating...

#464456 - Thu Apr 09 2009 07:47 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
One of your quizzes is the Brain Twist for Global Challenge today, Quiz_Beagle. That will be why you're getting compliments

#464457 - Thu Apr 09 2009 09:26 AM Re: How to find out where it's linked?
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
Ah, thanks Liz. Mystery solved!

Moderator:  agony