Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#465813 - Fri Apr 03 2009 06:25 PM The hobbies and world categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Another question from the bunny...

They (the world and hobbies categories) seem so full - are they really that full, or is it just a glitch in the system? I can deal with having to wait a couple weeks or so to have my quiz dealt with, but to wait a month and then be asked to make changes, and then to go through the queue AGAIN? Seems a tad insane. Unless it never really takes that long?

In other words, if you've ever submitted to either categories, can you give me some info, here, por favor (please)?

#465814 - Sat Apr 04 2009 11:20 AM Re: The hobbies and world categories
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Not a glitch I'm afraid. They've always had long waiting lists - up to a month. Twas my longest time waiting to get a quiz online.

But again it all depends on your history with quiz submissions. If you usually submit quizs requiring little editing I'm sure it would get looked at much earlier (as per the 'rating' system)

I'm not an editor but my understanding is that once the quiz has been looked at once and sent back for corrections that the same editor will look at it again once you resubmit it - as in it doesn't go back to the bottom of the queue.

#465815 - Sat Apr 04 2009 12:43 PM Re: The hobbies and world categories
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
I don't think having other quizzes necessarily makes much difference in the queues, although perhaps it might if you had them in the category... the editors are only going recognise a name of an author if they've worked with them before. Someone could have 100 quizzes in sport say but none in hobbies, so unless one of the hobbies editors was also a sports fan it would make no difference at all.

#465816 - Sat Apr 04 2009 12:47 PM Re: The hobbies and world categories
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Well according to the queue size page, authors who have regularly submitted error free and generally good quality quizzes are placed nearer to the top of the queue, and players with the "green screen" go to the bottom. Having a good submission history does help shorten your wait time. Like Rowena said, especially in categories in which you already have a few quizzes, but overall as well. I've never waited more than maybe a week for my quiz to be looked at (that I can remember).

#465817 - Sat Apr 04 2009 12:53 PM Re: The hobbies and world categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Another question of mine... what is this "green screen" people speak of?

It does seem that the system sorts out the authors who haven't quite "gotten" it yet, according to the queue page.

#465818 - Sat Apr 04 2009 02:25 PM Re: The hobbies and world categories
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
Washington USA
The "green screen" appears at the top of the quiz edit page for some players. These are generally players who have a history of plagiarism, grammatical or spelling mistakes, non-cooperation with editors -- basically, people whose quizzes need a lot more work on the part of the editors. It's basically a block of text, with a green background, explaining that there's been a history of problematic quizzes; you'd know it if you saw it!

Many people who have had the dreaded "green screen" at one point or another have managed to shed it, through hard work -- if you turn your quizwriting around and start cooperating, submitting quizzes that need little correction, etc, it will update to reflect that.

A green screen means that there's a delay in when the quiz enters the queue that editors see. The author might submit the quiz on Tuesday, but an editor might not be able to see it until Wednesday when it makes it into the queue. (Those dates are only examples -- sometimes waits are longer.)

A quiz that has already been looked at does go to the bottom of the queue, but it's often looked at faster than completely new quizzes anyway. I know that when I first start the day's editing in a given category, I scan the list to see if there's a quiz I've already worked with, and I usually take care of that quiz first. Normally we like for one editor to take a quiz from start to finish, so I'm the best one to edit a quiz I've already seen, whereas any of the other editors will feel free to take on a quiz that hasn't been seen before. A quiz where I've seen and cleared most of the material before is also faster for me to look at than one I've never seen. It's just a matter of where and how to prioritize.

A player with a history of good submissions does find their quizzes going to the top of the queue. For example, a Thursday submission by IWriteGreatQuizzes will appear in the queue above a Wednesday submission by IDoNotProofreadMySubmissions.

CellarDoor
Editor (Religion, Music, Humanities)

#465819 - Sat Apr 04 2009 03:43 PM Re: The hobbies and world categories
poshprice Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Glamorgan UK
I'd never heard of this green screen until I read this post. I even had to check my "edit quiz" page to see if I had it (luckily not). Is it a new thing or has it always been there? It's a good idea either way. It gives those quiz writers a chance to really turn it around. Oh and CellarDoor I love your explanation, and the fake usernames

Quote:

For example, a Thursday submission by IWriteGreatQuizzes will appear in the queue above a Wednesday submission by IDoNotProofreadMySubmissions.

#465820 - Sat Apr 04 2009 06:13 PM Re: The hobbies and world categories
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Authors whose notes from editors normally read something like "Nice job, just one little thing to deal with...." won't see the green screen. It's the authors whose notes tend to start "I see that you have not read the Guidelines for this category..." who will be very familiar with it!

#465821 - Sat Apr 04 2009 10:08 PM Re: The hobbies and world categories
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
It's not that new - I think it's been around for at least a couple of years (which probably means much longer than that, since I was dead wrong about how long badges have been around!).
I might even go out on a limb and say it's been around longer than badges (correct me if I'm wrong)!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#465822 - Sun Apr 05 2009 03:48 AM Re: The hobbies and world categories
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Yes, it's definitely been around a lot longer than the badges. If my memory serves me correctly, I've been an editor for about eight years and the green screen has been around for most of that time.

#465823 - Sun Apr 05 2009 08:36 AM Re: The hobbies and world categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

So, back on the original topic... the queues for World and Hobbies are huge in actuality, it's not just a glitch. All right - thanks.

What about the 'People' category? It used to have a really low queue, but now... not so much.

Edited by funnybuni (Thu Apr 09 2009 12:29 PM)

Moderator:  agony