Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#466099 - Thu Apr 09 2009 12:06 PM Re: Becoming an editor
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
I am now officially in Lostville. But that's okay - they know me there.

#466100 - Thu Apr 09 2009 01:18 PM Re: Becoming an editor
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
My mom won't let me lissten to Lostville music. Yes, wear'e getting off the subjet. Wear do I applie to become an edator. I have been righting since 2nd grade and am pretty profishunt at it. I love this sight and know that I can contibrut to it. I am only 10, but my frends tell me that I look like like I'm 12.

#466101 - Thu Apr 09 2009 01:22 PM Re: Becoming an editor
darksplash Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tyrone
Northern Ireland UK 
I think I have all the qualities needed to become a spelling editor. Not that I have seen any errors on this thread.

#466102 - Thu Apr 09 2009 05:12 PM Re: Becoming an editor
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Get reil Nihgtmair u r nt usin enuf textspik.
Its gr8.

#466103 - Thu Apr 09 2009 06:22 PM Re: Becoming an editor
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Crud, ren33... you are the best chat-speak person I know! hehe.

#466104 - Thu Apr 09 2009 07:03 PM Re: Becoming an editor
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Quote:

Its gr8.

Please read the various guidelines you will see scattered through the forums, we don't permit that lady!

#466105 - Thu Apr 09 2009 09:08 PM Re: Becoming an editor
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I DO understand that most of this is in fun, but don't any of you think it's just a little bit nasty? This person (TOP) was fairly new, to the notion of editing, and most everyone can only poke fun at "the idea" of someone NOT in the group, could consider being an Editor! It does seem mean spirited, to me.

#466106 - Thu Apr 09 2009 09:46 PM Re: Becoming an editor
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I don't think anyone was poking fun at the person, or at the idea that someone new could consider being an editor, or being nasty.We were having fun, yes, but only at the fact (and it is a fact for sure,) that some people think they can edit the work of others, when they are completely unaware of their own limitations in spelling and grammar.Well, thats all I meant . I certainly didn't mean to be nasty.
It also remains a fact that people still ask about how to be editors, without reading this thread from its beginning, at all.

#466107 - Thu Apr 09 2009 11:27 PM Re: Becoming an editor
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

Quote:

Its gr8.

Please read the various guidelines you will see scattered through the forums, we don't permit that lady!

#466108 - Fri Apr 10 2009 04:22 AM Re: Becoming an editor
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Quote:

I DO understand that most of this is in fun, but don't any of you think it's just a little bit nasty? This person (TOP) was fairly new, to the notion of editing, and most everyone can only poke fun at "the idea" of someone NOT in the group, could consider being an Editor! It does seem mean spirited, to me.

I don't think that's been the spirit of the thread, mate. I DO think that it's important to stress to prospective editors that they should:

1. Write good, cogent quizzes that demonstrate thorough comprehension of the guidelines, and;

2. Not torque anybody off.

#466109 - Fri Apr 10 2009 04:34 AM Re: Becoming an editor
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Quote:

No one was trying to be mean and you will see the replies to the person who started the thread were not at all, it was only later the thread got a 'bit silly', perhaps a little like medical staff joking inappropriately and if anyone was offended then please accept our apologies.

Later in the thread Ruffle3 asked the question too, then created a second account and pretended to be another person asking the question.

Actually the thread isn't quite so far fetched as it might appear, we do frequently get asked how a person can become an editor, moderator etc as the post carries a badge. Some of these people who just see it as another badge will ask after being on the site a very short time and having none or very few quizzes written and some of those took masses of editing. The messages we get are very frequently appalling, not quite as Nightmare and Ren would have you think, but not far off.

So again, if anyone was offended, sorry.

#466110 - Fri Apr 10 2009 04:36 AM Re: Becoming an editor
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I wonder why my last post turned blue, how odd.

#466111 - Fri Apr 10 2009 04:41 AM Re: Becoming an editor - Part 2 Warning, contains 'sillines
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I have separated off this half of the thread so as to leave the original (and sensible) part of the thread intact.

Edited to change topic title

Edited by sue943 (Fri Apr 10 2009 05:29 AM)

#466112 - Fri Apr 10 2009 06:43 AM Re: Becoming an editor - Part 2 Warning, contains 'sillines
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

I can only imagine how many minors ask to be editors. So many would think that they could be an editor for years, and lose interest in a matter of months.

#466113 - Fri Apr 10 2009 07:55 AM Re: Becoming an editor - Part 2 Warning, contains 'sillines
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Unfortunately many of the people who ask about becoming an editor are going through a difficult edit, where they are not making the changes being asked of them, and have complained that the editor is being too picky or is picking on them. When this happens it's not difficult to draw some conclusions about why they want to become an editor!

Edited by skunkee (Fri Apr 10 2009 07:56 AM)

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#466114 - Mon Apr 13 2009 07:15 PM Re: Becoming an editor
cherubrokker Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Toowoomba Queensland Australia
Quote:

What's with all the one-post two-post editor-wannabes?

Why is numerous forum posts a requirement for editorship? I see countless form posts by 1000+ users with spelling and grammatical errors, not this thread of course. Stop being so mean spirited and elitist. Also, how do you know that these people aren't editors in real life?

Edited by cherubrokker (Mon Apr 13 2009 07:17 PM)

#466115 - Mon Apr 13 2009 07:27 PM Re: Becoming an editor
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Why is numerous forum posts a requirement for editorship?

It's not, necessarily. But those who have been a member of the site for two weeks wanting to be editors happens... all the time.

And we never said that they were not editors in real life, although I hardly see what that has to do with it.

Edited by funnybuni (Mon Apr 13 2009 07:28 PM)

#466116 - Mon Apr 13 2009 11:32 PM Re: Becoming an editor
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Quote:

Quote:

What's with all the one-post two-post editor-wannabes?

Why is numerous forum posts a requirement for editorship?

It's not. Nightmare, one of the editors, as well as the #1 author with over 1,200 quizzes to his name, has less than half the forum posts I do. Sue, who is not an editor, but is an administrator, has about five times the number of posts, and our very own Gatsby, who has over 73,000 posts here, also is not a site editor.

#466117 - Mon Apr 13 2009 11:42 PM Re: Becoming an editor
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Quote:

I wonder why my last post turned blue, how odd.

Don't know how I missed this earlier! Sue, your post turned blue as you had quoted an earlier post. Her signature is blue, and she has it set up at the end of her posts instead of in the "My Home" section.

#466118 - Tue Apr 14 2009 12:19 AM Re: Becoming an editor
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Forum membership is a requirement of editors for technical reasons. Some forum presence is helpful, so that the staff can get to know you, and have some idea of what, for instance, your approach to conflict is. You may be the best quiz writer in the place, but if you are quick to take offence, inflexible, argumentative, petty.... you would find editing difficult. The give and take in the forums give a good indication of how well you play with others.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  agony