Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#468204 - Tue Dec 01 2009 12:58 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: jonnowales]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
You could create them first in a word processor, too - it's not the same as a quiz where you can just copy and paste it into a template later and submit, but I do it in MS Word sometimes, just to plan out the grid before I do it in the crossword template. I make a 15x15 table (or 17x17, 11x11...), choose my words, or choose a pattern if that's what you want, and fit them together in Word, so that I don't end up boxing myself into a corner or something when I am creating the crossword for real.

#468205 - Tue Dec 01 2009 01:44 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: guitargoddess]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'm in awe of those of you who can compose your crosswords on the computer. I have to sit sweating over a pad of graph paper, with a pencil and a good eraser.

#468206 - Tue Dec 01 2009 02:08 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: jonnowales]
t_s Offline
Participant

Loc: Renfrewshire Scotland UK     
Thanks Skunkee, I will do that in future :-)

Thanks also Johnowales, it is not that I don't want to do U.S. or other nationality crosswords and quizzes because I would do them if I were playing alone. Foreby the fact it is nice to do UK based ones, it is in my case, easier to do UK ones when I am sharing crosswords with my friend on the telephone as she & I only really can do these ones without taking hours to get through those more obscure ones.

Also, on a general note, is it possible to show numbers of letters for the required word(s) at the end of the clue when possible?

:-)

many thanks again

t_s

#468207 - Tue Dec 01 2009 02:13 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: t_s]
t_s Offline
Participant

Loc: Renfrewshire Scotland UK     
To guitargoddess and agony,

I have seen in passing, crossword programs advertised online for creating them. I have not tried one but it might be an idea for making them to see if they work out before putting them on the template here. Perhaps a practice template on FT might be a thing to look at then folk can train on using them before going 'live'?

t_s

#468208 - Wed Dec 02 2009 01:56 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: t_s]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Quote:

Also, on a general note, is it possible to show numbers of letters for the required word(s) at the end of the clue when possible?

Some folks do this when creating their crosswords, but it is not required. It all depends on what you are used to when playing professional crosswords in your country.

The only time we require something like that is if there is more than one word, and then we require either the notation [(2 words), (3 words) etc] or the numbers of letters in each word [(3,4), (2,5) etc].

#468209 - Sat Apr 10 2010 11:31 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: jonnowales]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
This may sound like a really silly question, but I just made my first crossword template, but now that I've come away from it, I can't find it again! Could someone possibly point me in the right direction? Thanks a lot!

Richard

#468210 - Sat Apr 10 2010 12:29 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: reeshy]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
It's o.k. I've found it thanks to a helpful team mate!

#468211 - Sun May 02 2010 12:58 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: jonnowales]
puitpankaj Offline
Participant

Loc: India
I don't want to come across as a grumbling person, and I am not usually this impatient, but is there a cap on waiting times for submitted crosswords?

I submitted a crossword about twelve days ago, just as soon as I got the nod for creating crosswords (I had already prepared a few crosswords), but my crossword is still in the queue.

I am really sorry if I have managed to irritate some of the editors, who I am sure do their best, and yet still probably get such mails regularly. Sorry guys!

#468212 - Sun May 02 2010 01:07 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: puitpankaj]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Whoops.

#468213 - Mon May 03 2010 05:42 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: agony]
puitpankaj Offline
Participant

Is there a limit on the number of clues you can have in a crossword?
I know the crossword title page says "Suggested number of clues- 20 to 50", but I have made a 15 by 15 crossword that has about 60 clues.
Would that be a problem?

#468214 - Mon May 03 2010 05:52 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: puitpankaj]
puitpankaj Offline
Participant

Because of so many clues, I have exceeded the 60 percent mark by a long margin. So should I delete a few clues, or let the crosssword be the way it is?

I am waiting for an answer, and hence I have not submitted this crossword at the moment, but another one in its place.

Please tell me what should I do.

#468215 - Mon May 03 2010 06:33 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: puitpankaj]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
No, there is not a limit to the number of crossed letters and please don't delete any clues for that reason. The percentage quoted is a minimum number. We have a few talented crossword creators who are able to achieve 100% crossed letter, and my hat goes off to them.

Secondly, crosswords are like quizzes and we prefer that you work on one all the way through to completion, and not jump back and forth between puzzles. This way, things learned form getting one puzzle online can be applied to subsequent puzzles.

Edited to add, I re-read your posts and saw that your question had nothing to do with % of crossed letters but was strictly about number of clues. The same answer applies!

Edited by skunkee (Mon May 03 2010 06:35 AM)

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#468216 - Mon May 03 2010 07:23 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: skunkee]
puitpankaj Offline
Participant

Thanks very much.

As regards working on two crosswords simultaneously, I had already completed the other crossword, but was intending to submit this one first, so there is no question of jumping between puzzles.

#468217 - Mon May 03 2010 02:18 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: puitpankaj]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
I see a cake...happy birthday, skunkee!

#468218 - Tue May 04 2010 04:39 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: dg_dave]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Puit> I've taken a quick look at your submitted puzzle. You might want to wait to get feedback after I've edited your first puzzle. There are some changes you'll need to make that will most likely apply to your second puzzle as well.

#468219 - Tue May 04 2010 05:03 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
puitpankaj Offline
Participant

SilverMoonsong, Thanks for having a look at my puzzle.
I am waiting for the feedback. I will immediately make the necessary changes in both the crosswords.

#468220 - Tue May 11 2010 10:23 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: puitpankaj]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Along with some of the upgrades Terry has implemented, we can now accept numeric or alpha-numeric puzzles.

There will be some very strict rules along with this:

Only our most experienced authors will be allowed to submit a crossword puzzle with numbers, since they will be more difficult than a regular puzzle. If you are unsure whether or not you will be allowed to submit a numeric puzzle, please send me a PM and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

They must be unique and interesting - in other words, a simple addition or subtraction puzzle will not be accepted.

I'll update and clarify this as we work out the details and rules. In the meantime, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

#468221 - Thu Jul 15 2010 11:46 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
How do I know my crossword has been submitted? There isn't a message showing up for me like when I submit a quiz.

#468222 - Fri Jul 16 2010 04:24 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: Anton]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Under the "My Crosswords: Edit" screen, it should show you which puzzles are online, offline, and which have been submitted.

#468223 - Fri Jul 16 2010 11:25 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Thanks. It says it's been submitted.

#468224 - Mon Jul 26 2010 02:56 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: Anton]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Is the crossword queue on a first come first serve basis?

#468225 - Mon Jul 26 2010 02:59 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: Anton]
SilverMoonsong Offline

First come, first serve - you mean those who submit their puzzles first are taken care of first? Pretty much, yes.

#468226 - Mon Jul 26 2010 03:32 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

That is what I meant. Also, do the crossword editors have specific categories they edit? I'm just curious.

#468227 - Mon Jul 26 2010 03:35 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: Anton]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Yes, each editor has specific categories, although I'm a Universal Editor. There are a few categories that are mine to edit, but I can take care of puzzles in any category if necessary.

#468228 - Mon Jul 26 2010 03:41 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4