Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#605280 - Mon Mar 14 2011 03:32 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: Anton]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
What is the best way to write clues for abbreviations and symbols?

When using abbreviations, please don't give-away the answer in the clue.

For example, when using a state abbreviation, rather than stating it this way:

California (abbr) - you could instead say "The Golden state (abbr)"

Using state nicknames and other unique landmarks makes the clue more interesting (and you might actually learn something!).

When using chemical symbols, keep the same thing in mind. Rather than state the name of the chemical and ask for the symbol, find something unique and interesting to use for the clue. For example:

"Element named after the Greek goddess of the moon (abbr)" [SE]

You can find ways to write almost any clue without giving away the answer. If you aren't sure, you can always ask one of the editors.

#1049132 - Tue Jun 17 2014 12:34 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
ElusiveDream Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria Australia
Need some help with my crossword! I've been told I have too many 2-letter words. It's really hard to find longer words that can fit in with the words I already have and I can't change the size of my crossword. Anyone got any ideas?

#1049183 - Tue Jun 17 2014 07:18 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
You probably won't like my suggestion, but it's to start again more or less from scratch. Keep your longer word list, and try again, this time keeping in mind that you don't want to use too much filler.

And a suggestion to make crossword creation easier: hit up thrift stores and garage sales for old Scrabble games. Use a Scrabble board and four or five sets of letter tiles to construct your crossword - that way it's easy to try things out and scrap them if they are not working. For me, at least, the hands-on of the board and tiles really helps it all come together.

#1049188 - Tue Jun 17 2014 07:47 AM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
I would have never thought of something like that, agony, but it is such a great idea!

#1049232 - Tue Jun 17 2014 02:49 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
What I used to do was print a grid off Excel and fill it in with pencil, only transferring it on when the clues were all laid out.

#1049239 - Tue Jun 17 2014 03:07 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
My usual method is to use graph paper and word lists.

#1049242 - Tue Jun 17 2014 03:59 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: spanishliz]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: spanishliz
My usual method is to use graph paper and word lists.

That's how I did my first (and only) one.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Tue Jun 17 2014 03:59 PM)

#1049262 - Tue Jun 17 2014 11:31 PM Re: Crossword FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) [Re: SilverMoonsong]
ElusiveDream Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria Australia
I've tried using an on-line crossword maker. I'll have another go at that and see what I can do.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  agony, gtho4