Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#469362 - Mon Apr 27 2009 04:38 PM editing quizzes
nyirene330 Offline
Participant

Loc: New York USA
it seems to take longer and longer to get an editor to even look at a quiz, much less approve it. i submitted a quiz over a week ago, and i am still waiting...i understand that these people are volunteers, but some editors review in a couple of days and others take a couple of weeks.

why is there such a disparity?

#469363 - Mon Apr 27 2009 04:48 PM Re: editing quizzes
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool DurhamEnglandUK
It depends on lots of things... how many quizzes are submitted, how many are in the process of being edited, so going back to the author to be corrected and back to the editor to be checked. All the correction notes sent by players are dealt with by editors too, and I shudder to think how many of those there must be every day... and then of course, the editors do have lives so they go to work, shop, raise kids, etc etc etc - sometimes it does seem to take ages when you're waiting, other times you "hop in lucky" and it's a matter of minutes, it just depends on so many factors.
I think my wait times have varied from 12 days to 12 minutes lol...

#469364 - Mon Apr 27 2009 05:00 PM Re: editing quizzes
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney ozdownunder
For authors with a green screen at the top of the quiz-edit template, the answer is here:
    Quote:

UPDATE: Our new editing system has been modified to give queue precedence to players who consistently submit well written quizzes and place to the END of the queue players who in the past have submitted poorly written/error filled quizzes. Please read the quiz guidelines and become familiar with our requirements before submitting quizzes. Players who consistently do NOT follow guidelines will find that their wait time after submission will slowly get longer, and longer, and l o n g e r . . .

Category Quiz Queues

#469365 - Mon Apr 27 2009 07:46 PM Re: editing quizzes
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sydney
NSWAustralia
My tip is to create quisses in 'faster' categories (eg not General/World/Humanities etc) until the editors know you, then you can go to the 'long' categories and your quizzes will be looked at faster.

#469366 - Mon Apr 27 2009 08:48 PM Re: editing quizzes
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
If you have a history of difficulty getting your quiz online, it will take longer to get your quizzes looked at. This is by design - we want to encourage authors to read the guidelines and follow instructions carefully.

#469367 - Mon Apr 27 2009 10:43 PM Re: editing quizzes
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
There's actually a similar thread to this: http://www.funtrivia.com/ubbthreads/show...ge=0#Post122556

It could be any number of things as the previous posters noted, and as pointed out, the Green Screen is likely going to put a damper on your quiz queue time whether it be for not following the guidelines or plagiarism, or anything like that.

#469368 - Tue Apr 28 2009 04:56 AM Re: editing quizzes
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth WesternAustralia
Certain catagories have many more quiz's and if you check the queue times they will tell you before you submit it what the current waiting times are - these can be up to a month.

If you don't have the patience to wait that long it might pay you to choose a catagory to write in that has a much shorter queue time.

#469369 - Tue Apr 28 2009 05:07 AM Re: editing quizzes
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PAUSA
Quote:

If you don't have the patience to wait that long it might pay you to choose a catagory to write in that has a much shorter queue time.

The problem with this scenario is that unless the quiz author has redeemed himself/herself by following the guidelines, working with the editor(s), following directions concerning plagarism, then by no means will submitting to a "shorter" or "faster" queue even help, as the Editing Staff do have a bountiful of "look sees" at our disposal.

We know who is following what and who is just complaining because they feel they can, even when their quiz does not meet the criteria for quiz creation.

Edited by JuniorTheJaws (Tue Apr 28 2009 05:17 AM)

#469370 - Tue Apr 28 2009 10:32 AM Re: editing quizzes
Happy Birthday funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Quote:

If you have a history of difficulty getting your quiz online, it will take longer to get your quizzes looked at. This is by design - we want to encourage authors to read the guidelines and follow instructions carefully.

Now, I can openly admit that while sometimes my quizzes get online without any correction notices, I also sometimes get one or two per quiz. Does that mean that my quiz is automatically towards the bottom of the queue?

#469371 - Tue Apr 28 2009 11:41 AM Re: editing quizzes
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
Editing this because I found out from another thread (very similar to this one, by the way), that you do have a green screen. I think the presence of that screen and the diligence in dealing with it determines whether you go to the bottom of the pile or not.

Edited by shuehorn (Tue Apr 28 2009 11:43 AM)

#469372 - Tue Apr 28 2009 11:50 AM Re: editing quizzes
Enthusiast

I have a green screen? Now that I did not know...

#469373 - Tue Apr 28 2009 12:36 PM Re: editing quizzes
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PAUSA
The "Green Screen" cannot be missed, as you see it when you are in the quiz editor for your quiz.

#469374 - Tue Apr 28 2009 12:38 PM Re: editing quizzes
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
funnybuni: the short answer to that is - it depends.

Are you seeing the same issues, over and over, or are they different every time? Is the second rejection on a quiz about an issue that was raised first time that you didn't deal with, or about something new that has come up? In other words, are you learning from every rejection? Are you working *with* your editor, or *against* him/her? These are the ways to tell where the problem lies.

#469375 - Tue Apr 28 2009 12:38 PM Re: editing quizzes
Enthusiast

In that case, I lost the green screen (I believe) after I got my third quiz online. Perhaps she was not talking to me.

#469376 - Tue Apr 28 2009 12:56 PM Re: editing quizzes
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
As JuniorTheJaws said, you would definitely know if you had it!

#469377 - Tue Apr 28 2009 02:02 PM Re: editing quizzes
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

Certain catagories have many more quiz's and if you check the queue times they will tell you before you submit it what the current waiting times are - these can be up to a month.

I give an open challenge to any author that can provide me with a quiz number that has waited anywhere close to 30 days for an editor to initially review it. These are estimated times provided by the system, but the "high number" is not realistic. Not even a two-year old who cannot write (if allowed to submit a quiz) would have waited this amount of time. Not even the worst author in the history of FunTrivia had to wait anywhere near that amount of time. The editors here are much more dedicated than that. There are many categories that never have a quiz waiting more than a week. I keep reading posts about how someone had to wait (for example) three weeks. When going into the quiz of their complaint, their wait time was actually less than a week. All they did was show their lack of patience. And once again as posted in numerous other threads: When an author submits a quiz, leave it alone and make no changes to it. If you do, it drops to the bottom of the list again. Don't shoot the one who delivers your dinner. They didn't cook it.
My challenge is still open. :-)

Edited by Nightmare (Tue Apr 28 2009 02:17 PM)

Moderator:  agony