Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#469495 - Tue Apr 28 2009 04:23 PM Quick on the draw editors
darksplash Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tyrone
Northern Ireland UK 
OK, there have been posts elsewhere about the perceived delays in quizzes getting past the editors and online.
I think the editors have got it about right.
Yes, there are differing times in the various categories, but I'm not unhappy about the times I've experienced recently.

The quickest time one of my quizzes has gone on is 17 minutes (thanks, Nightmare)- and that is probably not even the quickest around.

Hands up all who have had a quiz on quicker than 17 minutes.

#469496 - Tue Apr 28 2009 04:27 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
*Hand Up*

TV tends to have good turn around for me. I used to submit "Amazing Race" and "Family Guy" quizzes immediately after their airing and they would be placed online within twenty minutes. Always a good thing.

#469497 - Tue Apr 28 2009 04:39 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Me too, I think the shortest time I ever saw between submitting and having the quiz go online was about 12 minutes. I've had 2 go online in the same day more than once aswell.

#469498 - Tue Apr 28 2009 05:05 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I have no idea what the actual shortest length of time has been, but under an hour definitely

#469499 - Tue Apr 28 2009 05:16 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
Can't an editor put their quiz online right when it's done?

#469500 - Tue Apr 28 2009 05:17 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
... when we have a quiz by an editor who we know makes little or no errors, we tend to look at that one first and get it online instead of a quiz that we know will take over an hour to edit...

Editor for Television Category

#469501 - Tue Apr 28 2009 05:33 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
The shortest time? A couple of hours for Video Games.

The longest? 6 days in People. But that was on a rare occasion when the People category was backed up.

#469502 - Tue Apr 28 2009 06:15 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Quote:

Can't an editor put their quiz online right when it's done?

No, editors don't put their own quizzes online.

Edited by agony (Tue Apr 28 2009 06:15 PM)

#469503 - Tue Apr 28 2009 06:54 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

... when we have a quiz by an editor who we know makes little or no errors, we tend to look at that one first and get it online instead of a quiz that we know will take over an hour to edit...

I give the utmost preference to editors because they know and understand the Quiz Guidelines better than any other author, how a quiz should be constructed properly, and who give all the guidance to authors to help them adjust their own quizzes. That only makes sense. Plus, for every about 500-1000 quizzes that editors look at or take the time to adjust, if it were a "perk" for being an editor or moderator, it would be a pretty frivolous one to have their quiz looked at first for all their volunteer time and help that they give the site and site members. With editors and moderators, I have never seen a poorly constructed, capitalization-marred, spelling-mistaked, or any factually-errored quiz submitted. Also, I have never known either one who has attempted to break the 24-hour rule, in having more than one quiz submitted in a 24-hour period, just like everyone else. Why shouldn't they have preference? Their quizzes are so few, and who knows better regarding quizzes than them?

#469504 - Tue Apr 28 2009 07:07 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Also, I have never known either one who has attempted to break the 24-hour rule, in having more than one quiz submitted in a 24-hour period, just like everyone else.

Could someone refer me to where this rule is announced, or perhaps explained better? I know it exists in some categories, but I'd like to learn more about it.

#469505 - Tue Apr 28 2009 08:06 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

...or perhaps explained better?

It seems pretty much self-explanatory to me. :-)

#469506 - Tue Apr 28 2009 08:20 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Quote:

Quote:

Also, I have never known either one who has attempted to break the 24-hour rule, in having more than one quiz submitted in a 24-hour period, just like everyone else.

Could someone refer me to where this rule is announced, or perhaps explained better? I know it exists in some categories, but I'd like to learn more about it.

I don't believe it's anything really set in stone as a site-wide "rule" but some categories (I don't know which ones off the top of my head) do have in their guidelines points which ask you not to submit more than one quiz to that category per day.

Also, I think, for the authors who do have the ability to submit more than one quiz at a time, they cannot submit two to the same category at once.

#469507 - Tue Apr 28 2009 08:42 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

...or perhaps explained better?

It seems pretty much self-explanatory to me. :-)

Perhaps I should have said "more thoroughly".

Thanks, guitargoddess!

#469508 - Thu Apr 30 2009 12:42 AM Re: Quick on the draw editors
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
I've had a quiz rejected in faster than 17 minutes, but not put online.

All my submissions that actually are put online took days if I recall correctly.

#469509 - Thu Apr 30 2009 04:38 AM Re: Quick on the draw editors
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:

I've had a quiz rejected in faster than 17 minutes, but not put online.

All my submissions that actually are put online took days if I recall correctly.

Wallarobba, you joined this site back in 2004. Not very long after that, you posted numerous complaints in these forums even though none of your complaints were valid. I sent you a note addressing all of your concerns and I kept a copy. One of your complaints back then was the length of time it took for your quiz submission to receive an editor's attention. When I checked, the quiz history showed that your quiz was edited the same day it was received and your complaint was not valid.

The FunTrivia software automatically date-stamps and time-stamps every "transaction" that occurs on a quiz either by the quiz-maker or the editors and this information canot be tampered with. So we can see how long it took a quiz-maker to create a quiz and sometimes we can see that a quiz has been put together and submitted in a matter of a few minutes. Needless to say, those quizzes are usually full of errors and will not be able to go online as a result. We can also tell when a quiz-maker resubmits a quiz within minutes of it being rejected and we can plainly see that they haven't had time to fix up the errors in the quiz. Time and time again, quizmakers accuse the editors of taking forever to look at a quiz and when we check the logs, we find the complaints are not valid.

Upon checking your log, I can see that the reasons that your quizzes took "days" to go online was for the following problems:
- failure to read the guidelines
- quizzes submitted with many errors
- quizzes resubmitted without errors being fixed, i.e. ignoring editor's correction notes (one was resubmitted without alteration within 20 minutes of rejection)
- quiz put together in a hurry (less than 30 minutes between creation and submission).

I hope this clarifies your questions about the factors affecting the rate at which quizzes are processed.

As for editors, we don't get special privileges. Our work is carefully checked by other editors and rejected if there are problems. I had a quiz rejected earlier this year because it duplicated information already present in other quizzes.

I submitted a quiz (well, a crossword actually) over a week ago and it has only just gone online. But I don't have a problem with that. There are more important things in life (in my life and in the editors' lives) than getting a quiz online today instead of tomorrow or the next day.

Edited by MotherGoose (Thu Apr 30 2009 07:52 AM)

#469510 - Tue May 05 2009 11:45 AM Re: Quick on the draw editors
janetgool Offline
Explorer

Loc: Israel
I've had all kinds of experiences with quizzes going online. Some have gone online the same day, while others have taken up to a few weeks. The weirdest thing that ever happened with one of my quizzes involved one that got placed in "forgotten gems" BEFORE it officially went online! That was a matter of a "mystery inside an enigma".

#469511 - Tue May 05 2009 04:04 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
Triviaballer Offline
Forum Adept

I know I've had many quizzes placed online the day they were submitted. I'm a little wary of using time spent on creating the quiz as a basis for possibly judging the quality of a quiz. Oftentimes I'll make the quiz in Microsoft Word and then just copy/paste it into the FunTrivia quiz creation page. This would probably show very little time spent 'making' the quiz when the real time was spent creating the quiz away from FunTrivia.

#469512 - Thu May 07 2009 04:44 AM Re: Quick on the draw editors
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:

Oftentimes I'll make the quiz in Microsoft Word and then just copy/paste it into the FunTrivia quiz creation page. This would probably show very little time spent 'making' the quiz when the real time was spent creating the quiz away from FunTrivia.

There are a few quiz-makers who do use this technique and the obvious advantage is that you can utilise Word's spelling and grammer checkers to help edit your quiz. This will, of course, help get your quiz online a lot faster. When we can see that a quiz has been created and submitted in half an hour, but it has very few errors, it's a fair bet that this is what the quiz-maker has done.

However, the majority of quiz-authors don't do this kind of preparation and trust me, it shows. The editors can tell when a quiz has been thrown together in a hurry!

#469513 - Thu May 07 2009 08:38 AM Re: Quick on the draw editors
Matthew_07 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Malaysia
Jul 27 08 [10:12 AM]: Quiz placed online for all to play! (first time)
Jul 27 08 [9:59 AM] : Quiz Submitted for Editor Review! (quiz never played before)

13 minutes. A big thank you to all the editors. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Matthew_07 (Thu May 07 2009 08:40 AM)

#469514 - Thu May 07 2009 09:55 AM Re: Quick on the draw editors
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
The fastest for me was 3 or 4 minutes. I was astonished! I submitted, played an hourly, and it was online. It was video games, my strong suit. I make a lot less mistakes in that category than any other! So it went online quick. :-)

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#469515 - Thu May 07 2009 01:07 PM Re: Quick on the draw editors
triviapaul Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Delft<br>The Netherlands
24 minutes

May 20 08 [4:40 PM] : Nightmare : Quiz placed online for all to play! (first time) (What an excellent choice for category! lol. I hope that I was quick enough for ya. :-) --Nightmare)
May 20 08 [4:16 PM] : triviapaul : Quiz Submitted for Editor Review! (quiz never played before)

Lightning Nightmare.

Moderator:  agony