Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#469978 - Sun May 17 2009 11:12 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: PDAZ]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Lovely photos everyone. We cannot grow lilacs here, either. They are so lovely in a vase, too. However, we do have crepe myrtle, similar, but just not like the northern lilac. Memories.... Oh wait, that's for the memory thread!

#469979 - Sun May 17 2009 11:54 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: Jar]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Situated just a couple of minute's walk from my home, the Monson Almshouses were built in 1728 for the benefit of the 'poor widows of Broxbourne'.

#469980 - Sun May 17 2009 12:37 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: PDAZ]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA

I didn't get very many "good" shots of the Blue Angels yesterday. The sun wasn't cooperating. They are flying again in about a half hour from now. However, we have had really bad weather today -- thunder, lightning, and rain, so their show will be abbreviated.

#469981 - Sun May 17 2009 09:48 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: bhs63]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I am just loving the air display photos!

Spotted this unusual house in a nearby town when my sister and I were out and about today. Apologies for the glare from the car window.

#469982 - Sun May 17 2009 09:59 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: bhs63]
ysmay Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York USA
This weekend was the 3rd Annual Dance Parade. This year it went down St Marks Place and was a lot of fun! All kinds of dance were represented and the parade wound up in a dance festival at a nearby park. Here is a break dancer doing moves on a moving float - I was very impressed. Since you can't see his face, I hope it is okay.

Y

#469983 - Mon May 18 2009 07:42 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: ysmay]
deputygary Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Dakota USA
This is what it looks like when the Blue Angels all start their engines at the same time, which they do all the time. I once saw a cartoon where the pilots even marched into the latrine in formation and unzipped in unison. That may be an exaggeration.

#469984 - Mon May 18 2009 07:55 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: deputygary]
PDAZ Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Phoenix Arizona USA           
lol DG -- what a great pic!

#469985 - Mon May 18 2009 09:26 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: PDAZ]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Since I take ClaraSue just about everywhere with me, she has a tendency to get into a lot of my photographs. That's her in the corner. B/W tree in Texas.

#469986 - Mon May 18 2009 09:32 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: PDAZ]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Great picture, DG! I haven't been to the airfield to watch the show -- way too much traffic to fight. As you can see from this pic, I get an up close and personal visit from the guys anyway. It's a bit disconcerting to be able to wave to the pilot from my porch! LOL

#469987 - Mon May 18 2009 11:28 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: bhs63]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
That's funny, I was in Cuffley for the first time in ages on Tuesday. Here's one of my favourite house styles from the 60s and 70s in Leatherhead. The conservatory is clearly not original...

UN IPCC

#469988 - Mon May 18 2009 02:21 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: satguru]
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
a wild rose, or 'dog rose' as it's often called.

#469989 - Mon May 18 2009 02:32 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: satguru]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I have never been to an airshow and have never had the chance to go to one ... am starting to feel like the only person in the world who hasn't!

Beautiful tree, CS.

Just quickly touching on the people in photos topic .. so long as the person isn't identifiable then it's fine .. so Ysmay's photo up there is (more than) suitable. :-)

#469990 - Mon May 18 2009 04:08 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: Copago]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Quote:

I have never been to an airshow and have never had the chance to go to one ... am starting to feel like the only person in the world who hasn't!

LOL, I assure you that they don't have airshows in front of Buckingham Palace. The Red Arrows are only there for special occasions - usually with a million people on the Mall gawking at them as they zoom past.

Prince Harry was on the roof that day but I didn't spot him.

#469991 - Mon May 18 2009 06:15 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: flopsymopsy]
ysmay Offline
Enthusiast

Hi! Thanks, Copago - I'm glad the picture is okay.

I've only been to one air show, in spite of growing up only an hour from the home of Canada's "Snowbirds." All these aerial pics are really cool. This is as close as I have to an airplane, but I figured I'd share. Took it at Coney Island last summer:

Y

#469992 - Tue May 19 2009 07:21 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: ysmay]
deputygary Offline
Enthusiast

I was driving a country highway on Sunday and passed a fire truck manufacturing place. Being a guy, I naturally looked over to see all the fire trucks. I got about a mile down the road before I decided to go back and see if I really saw what I thought I saw parked along the side of one of the buildings.

Camouflaged fire trucks? Why are they camouflaged? I'm pretty sure that the smoke and flames from the fire that they are trying to put out would give away their position. It isn't like they'd be used on the front lines anyway. Plus they have those light bars. Flashing red, orange and white lights obviate any camouflage scheme. But perhaps the military that ordered these has a perfectly logical reason for having them painted this way.

#469993 - Tue May 19 2009 07:37 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: deputygary]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I went to a revolving restaurant on the 66th floor(?@#$) of the Hopewell Centre on HK side today, and had a massive buffet lunch. Delicious. Of course , as it revolved(the restaurant, not the lunch) there were lots of great photo opportunities. This is a house that is halfway up the famous Peak. Looks so peaceful when you consider its view will be of the centre of Hk with all its skyscrapers

#469994 - Tue May 19 2009 10:07 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: ren33]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Ysmay, didn't NYC have a scary airshow a couple of weeks ago with Air Force 1? I like the NYPD helicopter.

I promise -- last picture of the Blue Angels LOL

#469995 - Tue May 19 2009 11:08 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: bhs63]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
This is the closest I've been to an air show in years, . I took this a few weeks ago of two commercial airliners. It looks almost like a mid-air collision was just missed.

#469996 - Tue May 19 2009 01:21 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: ClaraSue]
ysmay Offline
Enthusiast

Yes, bhs63, a lot of people working downtown were scared when they saw one of the Presidents' planes flying low over downtown and the Statue of Liberty - and pursued by a jet, no less. Turned out to be an ill-conceived photo op and no one told the public. Oops. I think the guy in charge resigned.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I was not able to get a photo for this thread .

Y

#469997 - Tue May 19 2009 02:15 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: deputygary]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

Camouflaged fire trucks? Why are they camouflaged? I'm pretty sure that the smoke and flames from the fire that they are trying to put out would give away their position. It isn't like they'd be used on the front lines anyway. Plus they have those light bars. Flashing red, orange and white lights obviate any camouflage scheme. But perhaps the military that ordered these has a perfectly logical reason for having them painted this way.

you've reminded me of a bloke that came to my place hunting a couple of times (pigs, foxes and other pests) he would rock up in all his camo gear .. including gym boots ... talk about how many things he was going to shoot and then jump in his REALLY loud four wheel drive and off he'd go. Don't worry, I can't remember any animals being harmed in the making of that idiot.

#469998 - Tue May 19 2009 03:20 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: Copago]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Quote:

Quote:

you've reminded me of a bloke that came to my place hunting a couple of times (pigs, foxes and other pests) he would rock up in all his camo gear .. including gym boots ... talk about how many things he was going to shoot and then jump in his REALLY loud four wheel drive and off he'd go. Don't worry, I can't remember any animals being harmed in the making of that idiot.

LOL, all those vibrations warning creatures for miles around!

I thought the fire trucks were camouflaged so they could lie in wait in the desert for a fire to sneak up on them, then they could surprise it.

#469999 - Tue May 19 2009 04:37 PM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: flopsymopsy]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Another view from the revolving restaurant. The Happy Valley District. The racecourse in the middle.

#470000 - Wed May 20 2009 04:43 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Yesterday Mada and I went to an old Jersey farm. They filmed "Under The Greenwood Tree" there, with some fake bits.

Edited to add that this is genuine, in the film they managed to have a church in the 'village' which of course doesn't exist.

Edited by sue943 (Wed May 20 2009 11:54 AM)

#470001 - Wed May 20 2009 07:28 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: sue943]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Enjoying a nice afternoon!

#470002 - Wed May 20 2009 08:02 AM Re: May Photo A Day [Re: bhs63]
deputygary Offline
Enthusiast

Pretty picture, bhs. If I was a bird I'd be the one facing a different direction from the other three.

The last of my lilac collection.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33