Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#471593 - Tue May 12 2009 10:12 AM Another Correction Question
scalar Offline
Participant

Loc: California USA
I have always dreaded CN's, but have addressed them ASAP.
Most of my quizzes are now somwhat elderly and archived, with any problems well in their pasts.
Except now I am getting CN's for individual questions apparently on special quizzes (e.g. Monster?).
These have been quizzes with introductory comments covering the "problem."
What to do? What is the easiest, but also correct, way to clear these notices?

#471594 - Tue May 12 2009 10:37 AM Re: Another Correction Question
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Most daily/hourly quizzes are cached, so even if a correction is made to your quiz, it could be a fair bit of time until it actually appears in the competition (though it will be correct in your quiz). Unfortunately, this can't be updated until Terry does it himself when he rebuilds the cache again.

#471595 - Tue May 12 2009 12:14 PM Re: Another Correction Question
scalar Offline
Participant

To clarify:
1. There is no problem with the question/answer, i.e. not a valid correction notice.
2. Even if there were, the quiz is archived and beyond correcting.
3. The note says "I want to close this error report. Choose one." One what?
There seems to be only one choice.
4. So what button do I push to make the whole thing go away?

For extra points: Do most writers reply ("dispute") to the sender?

#471596 - Tue May 12 2009 12:20 PM Re: Another Correction Question
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
If the question is problematic in the hourly or daily games like Monster Quiz, then there MIGHT be a problem in that your questions don't stand alone, or that the instructions for the quiz are not clear if the player is not able to read the introduction.

It can still be corrected if it is archived, but an editor has to do it for you, or take the quiz offline for you to do it.

On the correction notice, the little circle that says something like "This correction notice has been looked at, here is why I think it should be ignored, or here is what I think the editors should change" should already be selected, and in the little box you write why you believe this is an invalid correction notice, or you can ask the editor to take a quick look at the quiz and determine if the question that the player found problematic needs to be clarified in some way.

#471597 - Tue May 12 2009 12:39 PM Re: Another Correction Question
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

It can still be corrected if it is archived, but an editor has to do it for you, or take the quiz offline for you to do it.

On the correction notice, the little circle that says something like "This correction notice has been looked at, here is why I think it should be ignored, or here is what I think the editors should change" should already be selected, and in the little box you write why you believe this is an invalid correction notice, or you can ask the editor to take a quick look at the quiz and determine if the question that the player found problematic needs to be clarified in some way.

What she said.

A quiz that has been archived is in no way "beyond correcting". It just means it gets a bit more complicated. If you feel a correction note is correct and an archived quiz needs to be changed, do the following:

In the text box at the bottom of the correction note, write EXACTLY what you want changed. So don't say "yes, I agree with this note" and leave the editor to figure out what changes to make. Rather, write something like "please change the last sentence of the information for question 2 to [....]", or "please remove the word [...] from question 5".
An editor will then make the requested changes and clear the correction note.

The fact that it says "choose one" at the bottom of correction notes is a remnant of the previous correction system, where you did have two options. Those two options have been merged into the one option we have now, but I'm afraid the wording hasn't been changed accordingly.

Leau, editor

#471598 - Tue May 12 2009 01:24 PM Re: Another Correction Question
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've had to update a few of my older quizzes to include information that the player needs, that was always in the quiz intro, but hadn't originally been in the actual question. I ended up just copying the instructions from the intro, and adding them to every question where they were needed.

This won't really help matters if the problem is coming from your question being in the Monster Quiz, and therefore cached in its original version. However, it is still necessary to do it, so that when the cache is updated, your new and improved question will be the one that appears.

Best would be to ask advice from the category editor as to exactly how to reword question to avoid problems in future. Use that little box to do this. Then, once you have done this, future CNs about the same issue can just have a comment from you reading something like "Quiz already corrected, caching problem" or whatever. The editor doing the corrections will be aware of the situation, and will just clear the notes.

This whole thing is a bit of a pain, I agree, but not a huge problem. You can't stop getting the notes, but once you've dealt with the problem and the editor is aware of what's going on, it's pretty painless to clear the notes.

And, if it makes you feel better, you're not the only one this is happening to. One particular question in one of my categories, fairly early in the Monster Quiz, got two or three notes per week about a minor grammatical error, for months.

BTW, for any quiz authors who are chafing at being asked to *ask a question* for every question, this is why it needs to be done. Instructions in the intro are only useful to players who are playing the original quiz, not to tournament players.

agony, editor

#471599 - Tue May 12 2009 03:27 PM Re: Another Correction Question
scalar Offline
Participant

I appreciate your answers.
The last CN I got was for a question on a four year old quiz, played 3600 times, about half correct answers and no CN's on it before.
I have to say that I really don't feel like going back and making sure that 400 +/- questions in 38 quizzes "stand alone" and then asking an editor to make the changes.

#471600 - Tue May 12 2009 04:13 PM Re: Another Correction Question
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Lots of time it isn't really necessary.

I have quizzes which list fictional characters - no question, no context. The quiz title is "Who Created Me?" Now, strictly speaking, those questions would not be allowed now, because tournament players have to figure out what I'm asking before answering. In the real world, though, they seem to be able to manage just fine.

However, if your quiz title is "Quotes from Shakespeare" and your intro says "pick the character this quote was said to" and you have the character who actually says the quote as an incorrect option, you need to repeat the instructions in the question. There is no way a player can play that quiz out of context - they don't know if you want who said the quote, or who heard it.

If you let fairness and reasonableness be your guide, you won't go far wrong.

#471601 - Tue May 12 2009 04:27 PM Re: Another Correction Question
guitargoddess Offline

Speaking just from personal experience, not necessarily speaking to what the rules actually are, the 'questions where no question is asked' are maybe more problematic for the Fill Me In game. Even with if your title is still vague, the majority of questions can probably be figured out when there are multiple options to choose from (except in cases like agony mentions above with the quotes question). But if you are just supposed to come up with the answer off the top of your head, no multiple choice, then that could be impossible to deduce what answer you're looking for. A quiz called "The Elements" might give "Oxygen?" as the 'question', and you are to fill in the answer... is the answer the symbol for oxygen? the atomic number? the group of elements that it belongs to? No way to tell.

#471602 - Tue May 12 2009 08:07 PM Re: Another Correction Question
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
Guitargoddess, in the FITB game if you move your mouse over the word "context" after each question the introduction to the original quiz shows up. It takes longer that way, but it does help with some of those "what do they want?" issues.

#471603 - Tue May 12 2009 08:21 PM Re: Another Correction Question
guitargoddess Offline

Ah yeah, that's true. Still though, a good reason why with updated quiz standards questions have to actually ask a question.

Moderator:  agony