Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#471641 - Wed May 13 2009 05:10 PM Quiz Correction Question
squall180 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Bedford Pennsylvania USA     
My most recent submitted quiz was bounced back to me and the editor note was that I needed to shorten my quiz to 10 or 15 questions from 20. Is this a new quiz creation rule that I just haven't seen yet? My previous quiz submission (March '09) was 25 questions and is online so if the policy has changed since then I won't mind making my current work into two parts (and could someone direct me to where I can view the new policy). If not, could an editor spare a moment for a brief explanation?

#471642 - Wed May 13 2009 05:32 PM Re: Quiz Correction Question
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
It depends on the category. Check the Quiz Guidelines for each category, most of them have stipulations about how many questions your quiz can have.

Here, http://www.funtrivia.com/ql.cfm?cat=6796), for example, is the Entertainment guideline that says only 10 question quizzes will be accepted. Not every category follows the only-10Qs rule, but most of them do recommend writing 10 question quizzes, or 15 questions at the most, unless you have a good reason to write a 20 or 25 question quiz (such as the type of quizzes that have one question per letter of the alphabet, or one quiz per FunTrivia category).

#471643 - Wed May 13 2009 06:23 PM Re: Quiz Correction Question
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
For Television, you need to have a very good reason to use more than 15 questions. The smaller quizzes are generally rated better and played more often than the longer ones.

Editor for Television Category

#471644 - Wed May 13 2009 06:45 PM Re: Quiz Correction Question
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
In Movies you also have to have a really good reason (and a really well written quiz) to have it longer than 15 questions. We also ask that your first Movies quiz be only 10 questions in length. This makes it easier on everyone concerned, while the guidelines are being learned.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#471645 - Wed May 13 2009 07:16 PM Re: Quiz Correction Question
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

Is this a new quiz creation rule that I just haven't seen yet? My previous quiz submission (March '09) was 25 questions and is online

Your Mar09 quiz was released with 20Qs, the number that you submitted, and this was your only quiz allowed at more than 10 questions. You've never had any quiz released with 25 questions. ???

Edited by Nightmare (Wed May 13 2009 07:24 PM)

#471646 - Wed May 13 2009 09:48 PM Re: Quiz Correction Question
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:

My most recent submitted quiz was bounced back to me and the editor note was that I needed to shorten my quiz to 10 or 15 questions from 20. Is this a new quiz creation rule that I just haven't seen yet? My previous quiz submission (March '09) was 25 questions and is online so if the policy has changed since then I won't mind making my current work into two parts (and could someone direct me to where I can view the new policy). If not, could an editor spare a moment for a brief explanation?

In regards to your question, being the editor in said quiz, I rarely push 20/25 question quizzes online. Occasionally, I will place one online every once in a while, but only in certain circumstances. As ladymacb said, they just aren't as well-received, and they take a lot of time to create, edit, and play. Also note, the last quiz with more than fifteen questions (in the Video Game category) was yours back in March. It was originally edited by a different editor who has played the "Final Fantasy" series a fair bit more than I have, and since he had weeded out the initial factual blips, I felt it was okay to place online. Had it come to me first, I probably would have asked for you to split the quiz in half.

As listed in the category guidelines for Video Games: "If you wish to submit quizzes that are 20 or 25 questions in length, please consult one of the editors in this category to see if it suitable. Quizzes with only 10 or 15 questions are expected in most instances, and anything longer could easily be made into a two-part quiz."

#471647 - Thu May 14 2009 10:23 AM Re: Quiz Correction Question
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I just wanted to add that sometimes an editor feels that a quiz would highlight information better in a shorter format then you can do a sequel. I'll take an example of my own work: I have that one set of quizzes on British vs American English and it would be tiresome and way too long if it had all those questions on one quiz, but works well as two and people look out for the second one.

So what I meant to say is that even when a category does not have rules about that, an editor might wish to suggest this so that your work gets the attention it deserves and higher ratings in the end. We're trying to get your work more play in the long run.

#471648 - Thu May 14 2009 04:26 PM Re: Quiz Correction Question
squall180 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Bedford Pennsylvania USA     
Thank you for the quick responses, I had forgotten that I had shortened my last quiz to 20 questions in order to avoid repetition with a pre-existing quiz. I also, apparently, didn't notice the question number restriction for the Video Game category when I last read the QC Guidelines. My apologies and hopefully my quiz submissions get smoother after another read through.

Moderator:  agony