Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#472104 - Tue May 19 2009 11:14 PM Where is this "castle"?
researcher Offline
Participant

Hi,

Someone was kind enough to show me how to post pictures (please forgive my ignorance) so I deleted my older post for this new one...

Here is a photo of the building (castle??) that I am trying to identify....

What is the name of this place?...

Thank you in advance for the help....

Researcher

#472105 - Tue May 19 2009 11:36 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: researcher]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Do you know what country it's in?

As a side note, please don't delete your posts, especially after someone has already taken the time to reply. Because you deleted your post, the reply now looks silly, and completely incomprehensible since the initial question is gone.

#472106 - Tue May 19 2009 11:55 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: Leau]
researcher Offline
Participant

I do not know what country it's in...

#472107 - Wed May 20 2009 11:06 AM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: researcher]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Have you no information at all? There's some writing which has been cropped off, do you have that?

I'm 99.9999% certain that's not a British Castle - we didn't have castles here until after the Normans came and those aren't the right sort of windows. On top of that, I'm pretty sure I'd recognise a castle of that size if it was here! And it's too hilly for the Netherlands.

My instinct says Central Europe, Hungary, Eastern Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine... but that's a large area which has so many castles you trip over them everywhere. Plus Southern France and Spain have a few castles with similar architecture.

It's clearly a castle/battlement protecting a town as there's a covered walkway of the sort found only in towns - they didn't build walkways like that just for soldiers.

So, any more clues? Why are you looking for this anyway?

#472108 - Wed May 20 2009 11:46 AM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: flopsymopsy]
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Lol, absolutely way too hilly for the Netherlands! The clear blue sky makes me think it's Mediterranean. Did you scan the picture yourself? If so, didn't the original give you more clues to the location?

#472109 - Wed May 20 2009 11:55 AM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: Leau]
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA Australia      
It reminds me of the crusader castles in the middle east.

#472110 - Wed May 20 2009 12:25 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: quogequox]
Sherry75 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
It could be one of the Cathar castles in the Languedoc region of France?

Maybe Queribus?

Edited by Sherry75 (Wed May 20 2009 12:29 PM)

#472111 - Wed May 20 2009 12:43 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: Sherry75]
flopsymopsy Offline

I don't think it's Queribus but really, it could be anywhere from Portugal to the Steppes! There are quite a few villages like that between Toulouse and Clermont-Ferrand - we should have an outing, take a car and potter down the Bison Futé with side trips to vineyards, chateaux and places with very nice cheese. We might not find that particular castle but I guarantee we'd have a fine time trying.

#472112 - Wed May 20 2009 01:13 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: flopsymopsy]
Sherry75 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Queribus was a wild guess, there are a fair few Cathar castles in that particular region: the terrain and sky certainly fit but, as you say, could be anywhere in that part of southern Europe.

Well worth a trip to sample the local wine and food.

#472113 - Sun May 24 2009 10:34 AM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: researcher]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
It's the Citadel Fortress in Haiti, a world heritage site. It goes by several other names, but you can find it by just the above title.

#472114 - Sun May 24 2009 09:50 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: Jakeroo]
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA Australia      
Nice work

#472115 - Sun May 24 2009 09:55 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: quogequox]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Very nice work!

#472116 - Mon May 25 2009 05:31 AM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: Copago]
flopsymopsy Offline

Wow, excellent detective work!

#472117 - Mon May 25 2009 08:00 AM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: flopsymopsy]
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Well done Jakeroo , whilst I did enjoy looking for it myself not finding it after 3 hours looking was annoying,though the searching did,as usual, bring up some interesting sites.

#472118 - Mon May 25 2009 07:01 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: damnsuicidalroos]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

well thanks everybody, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I decided after an hour of looking at European and Mediterranean "castles" that this one was a) too new and in too good of condition to be the right age to fit those regions b) was the wrong colour/material or wasn't "ornate" enough and c) wrong terrain. Plus it looked quite "military".. so then I looked at Central America and the Caribbean and then remembered people talking about "things to see" when we went to the Dominican Republic two years ago and then went "DUH... if only my memory wasn't failing, I wouldn't have "wasted" 2 hours of my time LOL. I'm terrible at timed quizzes, but I LOVE "puzzles". Love that can of soup too DSR!!!!!!!! Now the question is, will "researcher" bother to check back? He/she doesn't seem to be "here" much, upon looking at the profile lol. If not, oh well, I had fun anyway.

#472119 - Tue May 26 2009 10:06 AM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: Jakeroo]
researcher Offline
Participant

Hi Everybody,

Sorry about not checking my question sooner. My niece got married on Sunday so I flew there to see it. I decided to stay an extra day and visit since it was MEMORIAL DAY & I didn't have to go into work.

I was going to check last night when I got in but feel asleep.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to look for it. I've been continuing to look for it too without any success. I kept looking in Europe & Asia.

A special thanks goes to Jakeroo for finding out where it is.

I want you all to know that I appreciate the time and effort that you took researching my question.

I usually visit Funtrivia on a regular basis but ask questions only when I'm really stumped.

I only ask for help from you experts at Funtrivia after spending hours on a challenge myself first.

Before I go I want to say "Thank you" again and apologize for not checking sooner.

Researcher

#472120 - Tue May 26 2009 02:44 PM Re: Where is this "castle"? [Re: researcher]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

No need to apologise for anything! Hope you had a great time on your mini-vacation : )

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy