Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#476292 - Tue Jun 16 2009 11:09 AM New Question Quiz badge or not?
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Upstate NY, USA former LIer

#476293 - Tue Jun 16 2009 11:21 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: mike32768]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
The 500-question badge was removed, I believe to encourage people to submit quality or quantity. Looks like the My Badges just needs to be updated.

#476294 - Tue Jun 16 2009 07:02 PM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: guitargoddess]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Also, the badges section (second link) does not include the Achievement: New Question badge even though it should.

#476295 - Thu Jun 18 2009 10:14 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Buddy1]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
The 500 submission badge has been replaced by the "Question Quest Author Challenge" badge.

#476296 - Thu Jun 18 2009 11:05 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Terry]
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

The 500 submission badge has been replaced by the "Question Quest Author Challenge" badge.

I'm curious about this badge... The Contributor page says questions between 55-95% correct, and rated 0.2 or higher. I take this to mean an eligible question has to meet both criteria. But if that's the case, the number showing for me (33) doesn't match my obsessively updated spreadsheet. According to my rated questions, I have 43 that have a 55% or higher answering correctly. Of those, two are above 95%, so that makes 41 eligible. Of those 41, 30 of them are rated 0.2 or higher. So.. where'd the 33 come from? Just looking at my own questions, it looks like the 0.2+ questions from 51-100% are being counted.

Does the scoreboard page update constantly, or does it wait until a question has finished being played in New Question Game before it is counted, or not, towards the Author Challenge total? Like if 30 play a question and rate it good in the first round, does it get added to the author's total right away, and then if the next 60 people who play it rate it poor, it then drops off the total?

Edited by guitargoddess (Thu Jun 18 2009 11:06 AM)

#476297 - Thu Jun 18 2009 11:12 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: guitargoddess]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
There's a thought GG - some of mine have varied from average to excellent and back depending on the "state of play" at that moment, but after a couple of rounds they've settled on a final rating (so far anyway). I'm off to look up the badge page now, since I managed to miss this completely so far!

#476298 - Thu Jun 18 2009 11:25 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Rowena8482]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

GG: it was counting 96-100% correctness.

Fixed.

It's showing you as having 31. I suspect one of your questions crossed the line to be included.

#476299 - Thu Jun 18 2009 05:46 PM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Terry]
guitargoddess Offline

Is the 0.2 minimum rating just being used for badge purposes? Will questions rated between 0-0.19 still be used in the hourly/daily games?

#476300 - Thu Jun 18 2009 06:06 PM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: guitargoddess]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Terry - would it be possible to add the number of questions rated so far and the percentage of "good" questions to the question quest score page? It would be quite an interesting stat to see how reliably authors hit the sweet spot.

#476301 - Thu Jun 18 2009 07:06 PM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Rowena8482]
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
Quote:

There's a thought GG - some of mine have varied from average to excellent and back depending on the "state of play" at that moment, but after a couple of rounds they've settled on a final rating (so far anyway). I'm off to look up the badge page now, since I managed to miss this completely so far!

They only add in after they've been played out, otherwise there could be a right kerfuffle!

#476302 - Thu Jun 18 2009 07:13 PM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: ing]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

<< Is the 0.2 minimum rating just being used for badge purposes? Will questions rated between 0-0.19 still be used in the hourly/daily games? >>

Yes. Pretty much, any question over 0 will be used. I'd just like to encourage creative submissions.

#476303 - Fri Jun 19 2009 01:51 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Terry]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Quote:

<< Is the 0.2 minimum rating just being used for badge purposes? Will questions rated between 0-0.19 still be used in the hourly/daily games? >>

Yes. Pretty much, any question over 0 will be used. I'd just like to encourage creative submissions.

And the ones with good ratings but lower % corrects? Will they go to the oscure/impossible/ GM madness? (please say yes lol, I have way more of those than of ones with over 50% - it'd be nice to think they're still being used)

Hitting the difficulty level is the hardest bit - I have a range from (currently) 8% to 95% corrects, and the actual ratings don't seem to bear that much relation to the % correct. It's great fun seeing them coming in though I quite often get it totally wrong in my own predictions too!

#476304 - Fri Jun 19 2009 05:05 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Rowena8482]
chessart Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wichita Kansas USA      
"The Contributor page says questions between 55-95% correct, and rated 0.2 or higher."

I would like to take issue with this stated goal of 55-95%. I think it is way too high. Most of us play trivia to learn new things, not to simply regurgitate what we already know. (For those who do like the latter, there is always the easy game and the fill-in-the-blank game.

If we are talking about new questions nobody has seen before, then I suggest that a better goal would be 35-75%. Please keep in mind that over time the same questions will repeatedly pop up, and the percentage will go up accordingly. But for the first shot at a question, a lower goal seems definitely preferable.

#476305 - Fri Jun 19 2009 05:05 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Rowena8482]
demurechicky Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Leeds West Yorkshire UK       
My percentages range from 28% to 99%, it would be good to see which ones qualify towards the badge by them being highlighted or ticked, without having to count....

Top idea Terry!

#476306 - Fri Jun 19 2009 06:07 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: demurechicky]
demurechicky Offline
Enthusiast

Ah, I have found it Terry...Many thanks for this new game, it's brilliant!

#476307 - Fri Jun 19 2009 07:02 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: demurechicky]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Quote:

My percentages range from 28% to 99%, it would be good to see which ones qualify towards the badge by them being highlighted or ticked, without having to count....

Top idea Terry!

Every time I count I get a different number! I go cross eyed lol. Some of mine have "fallen off" the page too, since the game started, as others have moved through to be played and I can't remember how they ended up rated. It's not a 'biggy' as the scoreboard page thing is keeping count, but it would be nice to be able to see at a glance which Qs are spot on

#476308 - Fri Jun 19 2009 08:07 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Rowena8482]
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

Yes, I would like to be able to look over all my questions, for all the time. Trivia, trivia...

#476309 - Fri Jun 19 2009 08:07 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Rowena8482]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

<< I would like to take issue with this stated goal of 55-95%. I think it is way too high. Most of us play trivia to learn new things, not to simply regurgitate what we already know.(For those who do like the latter, there is always the easy game and the fill-in-the-blank game. >>

No, it's actually way too low. I'm being lenient. Who's the smartest (difficult game) actually uses correctness of 70% - 95%, and those questions are hard enough.

The problem is that you're thinking of it in terms of a single question.

If you have a quiz where the average correctness of a question is 55%, then the average player will score 5/10 on a timed quiz. The lower 25% of players are effectively guessing. You have created an "almost obscurity" game.

<< Most of us play trivia to learn new things, not to simply regurgitate what we already know. >>

That's actually false. The reality is extremely clear when you look at the data: people MUCH prefer to play trivia and games that they think they have a reasonable chance of scoring very well in. The average person actually plays trivia to feel smart about him or herself.

When someone comes to FunTrivia casually (98% of our visitors), the question is "what am I good at?", not "where can I learn something?".

Clearly there are exceptions to this such as yourself, but you (and others who are extremely frequent players who specifically play to learn) represent a tiny minority in this regard.

#476310 - Fri Jun 19 2009 08:15 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

<<
And the ones with good ratings but lower % corrects? Will they go to the oscure/impossible/ GM madness? >>

Yes. All questions rated at least 0 go into the general pool, and appear based on their difficulty:

Roughly:

Easy Game: 85% - 99%
Smartest: 70% - 95%
Daily / Team / KO / Mixed Hourly: 75% - 95%
Obscurity: 20% - 60%
Impossible: 0% - 60%

etc...

#476311 - Fri Jun 19 2009 08:25 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Terry]
demurechicky Offline
Enthusiast

Ha ha Rowena are you channeling me lol

Same happens to me too! I have more 'qualifying ones' in my count too, I must be doing it wrong lol

#476312 - Fri Jun 19 2009 08:46 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: demurechicky]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Oh good! They all find a home where they fit best I have at least one or two for each of those so far. Thanks Terry.

Well we can practically lean out of our windows and wave to each other chicky It is only 2 streets from here to Leeds after all... (A689 M1 but still...)

#476313 - Fri Jun 19 2009 09:04 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: demurechicky]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
I wonder how well the numbers derived from the New Question game actually correlate with those derived from standard quizzes. On the one hand, on a normal quiz, the majority of players will take the quiz because it's in a topic they know something about and they have unlimited time, so on the NQG, they will tend to score lower than on a quiz. On the other hand, competitive games will see a certain share of quick googling pushing the percentages upwards and they'll see a larger concentration of higher level players than normal quizzes - those who tend to know more.

It would be interesting to see a few calibration runs with a game setup (question count and timers) exactly identical to NQG, but using existing questions from quizzes that have not yet been used in the hourly database, just to get a calibration on those numbers. Maybe the NQG's 80 is really closer to a 90 - or to a 65!

#476314 - Fri Jun 19 2009 09:16 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

<< I wonder how well the numbers derived from the New Question game actually correlate with those derived from standard quizzes. >>

I'm pretty certain that the New Question game categorizes questions FAR better than the quiz system does, which is sort of why I added it in the first place.

A question like "What color hat was Bart Simpson wearing in episode 4236?" would rate horribly in the new question game difficulty-wise, whereas it would rate very highly in the quiz "Simpsons: Episode 4236". In many cases, quiz difficulty ratings are completely useless when questions are taken out of the context of the quiz, so almost anything is an improvement on them. People self-select quizzes for the mostpart... history fans take history quizzes, etc, so there tends to be a big upward bias to all correctness rates for all quiz questions.

#476315 - Fri Jun 19 2009 09:22 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: Terry]
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
Quote:

Yes. All questions rated at least 0 go into the general pool, and appear based on their difficulty:

Brill! I didn't think it was possible to love this game even more than I already did!

#476316 - Fri Jun 19 2009 09:48 AM Re: New Question Quiz badge or not? [Re: ing]
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

Ya know, after a certain period of time, it might make sense to stop updating the "correctness percent", since people will be getting duplicates - skewing the numbers!

Maybe Terry's already said/thought of that.

Or maybe have two ratings - a "total" (for all time) and an "initial" (first 500 plays or whatever).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4