Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#482268 - Wed Jul 08 2009 06:29 AM Photo forum brainstorm - want your input!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I've been thinking a bit lately about this forum and would like our regular members input as to a couple of things.

How would you feel about doing away with the "what is it" thread and going with another kind of 'game'?
A couple thoughts I had about that would be a 'photo chain' where one person would post a photo and then next would have to get inspiration
from that photo for their own photo ... from the colour or something about the subject could be the 'link'. So a pic of a sheep could mean a picture of a woolen mittens, or a picture of the Colusseumin Rome could inspire a photo of spaghetti. The link can be pretty tenuous!

or perhaps the treasure hunt idea? Someone gives an idea of a photo that they want, (a flower, something red, a book, something that starts with P .. whatever) and when someone posts a photo of that they can name the next hunt.

With either of these there would still be the limit of just one photo per day, the photo must be your own and so on.

I'd love to have your thoughts of this or ideas of your own. We could trial any idea for a while and see how it goes and if we need to tweak it or do away with it altogether.

#482269 - Wed Jul 08 2009 06:32 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: Copago]
Copago Offline

Oh, none of this would affect the flagship Photo-a-day threads!

Edited by Copago (Wed Jul 08 2009 06:34 AM)

#482270 - Wed Jul 08 2009 07:32 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: Copago]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Sounds very interesting - I am always up for a change or a holiday for that matter. Count me in.

#482271 - Wed Jul 08 2009 07:42 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: lady1]
PDAZ Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Phoenix Arizona USA           
I like that idea, Copago.

On another forum I visit, we have a photo chain where someone asks for a photo of something (say, a hedgehog) and the next person posts that photo and makes their own request. Sometimes, the photos aren't what the requestor was expecting (someone asks for a bank, meaning a financial institution, and the next persons posts a river bank). It's interesting to see how people interpret the requests.

#482272 - Wed Jul 08 2009 08:00 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: PDAZ]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I like either idea (chain or treasure hunt). Perhaps we could alternate them?

Also, as the "What Is It?" thread doesn't get used that often, why not leave it open for those times when any of us are inspired to take a weird and wonderful pic?

#482273 - Wed Jul 08 2009 08:07 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: spanishliz]
Sherry75 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Good idea

#482274 - Wed Jul 08 2009 10:24 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: Sherry75]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
I'm game!

#482275 - Wed Jul 08 2009 11:22 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: bhs63]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
A change is always good. I like the idea of a link chain very much. The treasure hunt sounds fun, but I can see it bogging down - I for one would never be able to come up with a pic of a hedgehog.. also I see that people might start delving deep into their old archives for photos for obsure items.

I think the idea of new, fresh photos is what these photo threads are about?.. as it inspires us to get our cameras out and about, rather than digging out old photos. The link-a-photo would promote that. Perhaps the last poster left a photo of, say, a blue teapot. Next poster could post either something blue, or something with a spout... both easy to find today. Often we don't have to leave the house to take photos, but I for one, would like to see new photos posted, not archived ones.

I vote on keeping the What is it? thread open too, although I'm easy on that one.

#482276 - Wed Jul 08 2009 11:29 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: MadMags]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Quote:

Often we don't have to leave the house to take photos, but I for one, would like to see new photos posted, not archived ones.

Actually the original purpose of the Photo-a-Day was to TAKE and then post a photo each day, not to post those we already had but it got misunderstood and people thought they just had to post any photo each day but we just let it go.

Here is the original thread...

http://www.funtrivia.com/ubbthreads/show...ge=1#Post618740

Edited by sue943 (Wed Jul 08 2009 11:32 AM)

#482277 - Wed Jul 08 2009 11:35 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: MadMags]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Or maybe we could have a Today I Saw thread? Strictly for photos taken that day.... just an idea...

#482278 - Wed Jul 08 2009 11:40 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: MadMags]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Sorry Copago, I was composing my last post while you were posting yours, and didn't see it till now

Quote:

Actually the original purpose of the Photo-a-Day was to TAKE and then post a photo each day, not to post those we already had but it got misunderstood and people thought they just had to post any photo each day but we just let it go.

Yeah, I kinda got that idea that's what happened. Well, my vote is to have a thread that truly is today's photo, as I think to take photos every day (or every day you want to post) is a positive thing.

#482279 - Wed Jul 08 2009 12:11 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: MadMags]
s-m-w Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cheltenham UK
Am sure we all take more than one picture when out and about with our cameras?
Like the idea of fresh images, how about a "taken in the last few days" category, this would give us a chance to post more than one piccie from a venue/ event/ place visited.
Whatever happens am sure there will be many awesome pics.

#482280 - Wed Jul 08 2009 12:23 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: MadMags]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Taking the camera out every day might be a good thing... but it's not always practical. It doesn't always rain in England, despite reports, but it rains often enough and unpredictably enough that I rarely take my camera out on the off chance. Plus the camera itself is too bulky to stick in a pocket or handbag - so if it's going to be a rule that the photo has to have been taken that day I'd barely be able to post anything.

However I do think adding some extra threads which add interest would be good. Leave the "What is it?" thread where it is, and add one or two new ones. If a thread doesn't work, then it will fade away.

#482281 - Wed Jul 08 2009 12:30 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: s-m-w]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

smw, I take at least 30 photos of each object and pick the best one. I see what you're saying though.... although the leftovers, so to speak, could always go into a Photo-a-Day. (I'm sure I could find a better word than that, but you all know what I mean)

Perhaps a This Week's Clicks then...

Speaking only for myself now, I'm trying to get out every day now and take photos.

.... And I agree with you smw, whatever happens, there is sure to be many awesome photos.

#482282 - Wed Jul 08 2009 12:36 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: MadMags]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

flopsy I hear what you're saying, and I wasn't suggesting the Today I Saw would replace the Photo-A-Day, but be in addition to it.

Edited to add: Which means we can potentially post twice as many photos

Edited by MadMags (Wed Jul 08 2009 12:37 PM)

#482283 - Wed Jul 08 2009 01:08 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: MadMags]
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
I don't know how one would judge that the photo was taken that day or not...

The treasure hunt or chain would make it a bit different.

#482284 - Wed Jul 08 2009 03:14 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: bhs63]
Copago Offline

Really the Photo-a-day thread is there for the recent photos. I think mostly that is what it is but then the odd older photo gets put in too which I also don't have a problem with. I like how it goes in themes sometimes but that you can also post what you want .. when a bird at the window taken today can be together with a ship taken in 1973 then all is good with the world.

I also don't want too many things on the go at one time so one thing would have to go and that is why I was leaning towards the "what is it" thread. It does have spurts of activity but for the most part is idle which is why I thought about a fresh game for us to try.

Like I said, we can trial anything and always revert back to what we have now if it doesn't work out.

I'm leaning more towards the photo chains myself.
Anyone else?

Edited by Copago (Wed Jul 08 2009 03:17 PM)

#482285 - Wed Jul 08 2009 03:58 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: Copago]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Playing devils advocate here: One of the things that crosses my mind that might throw a wrench into a treasure hunt or any photo chain really, is two people posting a reply to a single post. Someone might have a great idea for the next photo, take a few minutes to take the picture, upload it, and post and in the meantime someone else posts a picture they already had. I suppose the person that spent time taking the photo and uploading it could still post it, but by that time the chain might have moved on.

Perhaps the threads wouldn't move fast enough for that to happen, I don't know. But just throwing that out there.

I think they'd both be pretty cool ideas, personally.

#482286 - Wed Jul 08 2009 04:01 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: Copago]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I, too, like the idea of the photo chains Copago. I say "Go for it!"

And, coincidentally, I (actually) took a photo today just for the "What Is It" thread. I'm thinking I should really, really get my rear in gear and post it.

#482287 - Wed Jul 08 2009 05:02 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: Jar]
Copago Offline

Quote:

Playing devils advocate here: One of the things that crosses my mind that might throw a wrench into a treasure hunt or any photo chain really, is two people posting a reply to a single post. Someone might have a great idea for the next photo, take a few minutes to take the picture, upload it, and post and in the meantime someone else posts a picture they already had. I suppose the person that spent time taking the photo and uploading it could still post it, but by that time the chain might have moved on.

Good points! I guess it will have to be one of the things we will look at as we go along. There isn't a huge number of us in the photo threads so perhaps it wouldn't happen all that often .. but we can see and tweak as necessary.

Get in quick, Jar!

#482288 - Wed Jul 08 2009 05:06 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: Copago]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Some great ideas!

#482289 - Wed Jul 08 2009 06:45 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: ren33]
jmorrow Offline
Prolific

Loc: Singapore
I like both ideas for a hunt or a chain, so I'm all for giving either of them a whirl.

On the issue of missing an opportunity to post a picture on a chain game, if it does happen, I suppose the picture could always be posted in the Photo-a-Day thread. That way, no photo that was taken for this forum will be left without a home.

#482290 - Wed Jul 08 2009 09:22 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: jmorrow]
Tredici Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Greeley Colorado USA    
I've played the ABC game in a different photo forum. The first photo is something starting with the letter A. The next post represents the letter B.

While some of the photos are quite literal, some are very imaginative. Like the cast of lamplight for "Golden Glow".

The alphabet continues to repeat itself up to as many times as the participants wish. I love these types of chain formats too, simply because some people are so darn creative in their choosings.

#482291 - Wed Jul 08 2009 10:03 PM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: Tredici]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:

I've played the ABC game

I like that idea too. I actually took myself for an "alphabetical walk" one day, trying to take photos in alphabetical order. I gave up trying to get them all at some point, though, and allowed myself to skip letters. It would be much easier to do in a forum

#482292 - Thu Jul 09 2009 01:47 AM Re: Photo forum brainstorm - want your input! [Re: spanishliz]
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
That sounds good, with lots of scope for imagination. Copago's ideas are fine by me also.

I'm happy to go with the flow....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Copago, flopsymopsy