Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#486218 - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:38 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: lady1]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Quote:

Since I have not tasted Vegimite I will have to vote for Marmite since I prefer it to Bovril.

That is really like comparing an apple with a pear, both are fruit but not alike. Marmite and Bovril only have the jar shape and colour in common, completely different ingredients, one is vegetarian the other contains beef.

#486219 - Fri Jul 24 2009 08:35 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Dijon France via S Wales UK
Sue - would you agree that the closest equivalent to 'Bovril' would be a beef stock cube - OXO for instance?
Marmite is indeed a totally different taste I confess, I have never tasted vegemite, so I really, in all fairness, am unable to make a judgement

#486220 - Fri Jul 24 2009 09:48 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: delboy22]
L_A_Best Offline
Explorer

Loc: Cape Town South Africa  
Lady1 - Perhaps I used the word cheap in the wrong context. After having had both. My hubby is a die hard fan of Marmite and despite the difference in ingredients as Sue points out my hubby is of the opinion that Bovril is someone's "cheap" poor imitation of Marmite.

You've seen that advert on the TV where the guy has a Marmite birthday cake and goes out with the girlfriend on the backseat and the marmite jar in the passenger seat. Reminds me a little of my hubby. He once made a marmite and peanut butter sandwich. There was also the cold beans and marmite on toast and he did attempt to turn the marmite into a dip with his chips once.

#486221 - Fri Jul 24 2009 03:30 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: L_A_Best]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Forgive me but what is Marmite? I've tried Vegemite when we had a few Australians at work. No offense but you can keep it.

#486222 - Fri Jul 24 2009 04:02 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: rayven80]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I don't blame you, I once bought a jar and couldn't bring myself to actually try it - ewk.

#486223 - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:21 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Quote:

I once bought a jar and couldn't bring myself to actually try it.

Therein lies your problem, Sue. It really is quite yummy. Just look at any one of the 20 million Aussies that were reared on it, and you will notice that there is absolutely wrong with ANY of us!

And Dippo, please do not bring beer into the equation. We gave you Fosters, but it is not possible to get English beer in Australia. The reason is that no-one will drink it, not even the expat Poms, who probably came here to get away from it! I ask you, how do you drink beer at room temperature? It is just not natural.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#486224 - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:32 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cardiff <br> Wales UK
Well I must stay true to my British origins and opt for Marmite I am almost drooling just thinking about it BUT *gets ready to dodge the jar of Vegemite being thrown at me from Jersey*, I don't mind Vegemite either! Sue, don't worry, I added my name to the Marmite list!

Edited by jonnowales (Fri Jul 24 2009 05:32 PM)

#486225 - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:38 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: jonnowales]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Quote:

Therein lies your problem, Sue. It really is quite yummy. Just look at any one of the 20 million Aussies that were reared on it, and you will notice that there is absolutely wrong with ANY of us!

Apart from being not being able to string a sentence together. Is there an important word missing in your last sentence, I can't work out if it is 'nothing' or 'plenty'?

#486226 - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:45 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Offline

Oops! I forgot my Vegemite on toast for brekky! Please insert the word 'nuffin' after 'absolutely'.

#486227 - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:46 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Perhaps I ought to change all the Australians' avatars.

#486228 - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:00 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Offline

Terry may object, as he will have to refund hundreds of Gold Memberships.

#486229 - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:31 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I have tried both and have to say that Vegemite wins hands down! Like Ozzz, I was raised on it. While living in California, I 'converted' quite a few Americans. The trick is to smear it on thinly. I discovered that most Americans try to spread it on too thick, like they do with peanut butter.

When coolcat90 was at school, and her friends would stay for a meal or for a sleepover, they inevitably requested my spaghetti bolognese for dinner, which had a bit of a reputation for being quite good. Coolcat90 would tell them "Mum has a secret ingredient" - it was a dollop of Vegemite!

I haven't tried the new vegemite/cheese blend yet and don't think I want to.

#486230 - Sat Jul 25 2009 04:00 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: MotherGoose]
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

This thread is getting more intriguing by the hour! lol

I hate to say this Sue, but I am anxious to try this 'miracle mix' known as vegemite ......... the whole nation of Australia can't be TOTALLY wrong! Can they?

#486231 - Sat Jul 25 2009 04:04 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: delboy22]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

It really is what you are used to if you have been raised on one or the other. The recipes are simply not the same, if you like caramel in the mix then it will be Vegemite, if you don't then it is Marmite.

During WWII Marmite was extensively used by the armed forces as it treated various ills due to the high content of B vitamins.

#486232 - Sat Jul 25 2009 04:10 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

"During WWII Marmite was extensively used by the armed forces as it treated various ills due to the high content of B vitamins."

And beyond WWII Sue - I always remember a giant pot of good old marmite available at ALL mealtimes in the cookhouse, during my army service

#486233 - Sat Jul 25 2009 06:33 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: delboy22]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

When I was in hospital in Jersey just over four years ago I asked for the Marmite at breakfast time and was given the jar to help myself so when I was transferred to a hospital in the UK I assumed they would have some available - not so, they had jams and marmalade but no Marmite. I asked the sister in charge of the ward to telephone my daughter as a matter of urgency to ask her to buy me a jar before coming to visit me. My poor daughter got a nasty shock to receive the telephone call from the hospital, I really ought to have thought it through, I had been air-lifted by private air ambulance to the UK and was in the high dependency unit, my daughter must have though that I had carked it! Still, she bought the Marmite.

#486234 - Sat Jul 25 2009 03:44 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
LOL your poor daughter ... hope she got a chuckle out of it after the shock of the call.

#486235 - Mon Sep 07 2009 08:37 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Copago]
triviapaul Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Delft<br>The Netherlands
Now, I may be a latecomer to the discussion, BUT...
Joy oh joy, in their infinite wisdom, my local supermarket has decided to add Marmite to their stock. Needless to say, the pot was in my trolley before I even finished the thought "Ooooh, look, Marmite". With great anticipation, I smeared some on a piece of bread and sampled...
It is SALTY my goodness it is salty, not even salt is this salty. Salt with a bit of a funky smell. It looks and tastes somewhat like the paste they use to make miso soup . Still, I have to acknowledge its addictive properties. The only familiar taste that comes close to it, is Maggi Aroma and I am a great fan of it. It will come as no surprise, that one of the main ingredients is yeast extract. The difference is, Maggi is used as a soup seasoner, to be used very sparingly, not as something you eat on toast.
To conclude, in the Epic Battle of the Yeast Extracts, my vote goes to Maggi (which, I have to admit, is like commenting on The Ashes saying "I think I like football better").

#486236 - Mon Sep 07 2009 09:30 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: triviapaul]
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I'd honestly like to get in on the debate, however I don't know where I might find either in these parts. Maybe there are some specialty shops in the DC area that carry items like these - I'll have to contact ArlingtoVA and ask him if he knows. I've already gone to netgrocer.com and neither is available there.

Edited to add:

I've done some digging and found Foods of All Nations in Charlottesville stocks Bovril and Marmite, sorry no Vegemite - too far to drive but they'll ship it. 12.75 for 250g. Also found Oxtail Soup from Knorr, though the FDA won't allow sales....

Foods of All Nations/Great Britain

Edited by BurgGurl (Mon Sep 07 2009 09:59 AM)

#486237 - Mon Sep 07 2009 03:00 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: BurgGurl]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Tracey, I have found jars of marmite in specialty kitchen supply stores. You know, those stores that sell espresso machines, pots/pans, and other strange doodads. You might want to try one of those.

Edited by ClaraSue (Mon Sep 07 2009 03:02 PM)

#486238 - Mon Sep 07 2009 03:11 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ClaraSue]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I just went to Amazon and found they carry both. Not sure if you can get it locally as I did not put it in my basket. Thought it was interesting they sell both together, too!

They also sell Bovril, Spotted Dick Sponge Pudding, and Haggis!

#486239 - Thu Sep 24 2009 05:40 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Jar]
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Pennsylvania USA
I found both in World Market on Sunday, (a local chain that sells all kinds of household items from around the world) 125g and 150g - so not big servings and if I shouldn't ever want to try them again at least I didn't spend much. Now I have to find the nerve to try them! Which should I do first? Are they like beers where you start with the lightest tasting? I'd like to do it right, so which cracker is best? Or should I treat it like PB and smear it on bread?

BTW, this store carries a giant assortment of candies. What should I be sampling? I did walk out with a bag of Tea candies from Bali, looking forward to trying those!

#486240 - Thu Sep 24 2009 05:53 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: BurgGurl]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
I would recommend trying Marmite for the first time on buttered toast. After that, you'll probably like it so much you'll want to try it on all sorts of things!

#486241 - Thu Sep 24 2009 06:40 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: BurgGurl]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Just dont put your Vegemite on your toast an inch thick. Just smear lightly until you get used to the taste.
It's also nice to put a spoonful or so in mashed potato, adds a bit of 'body' to it

#486242 - Thu Sep 24 2009 06:49 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Lones78]
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Pennsylvania USA
Quote:

Just dont put your Vegemite on your toast an inch thick. Just smear lightly until you get used to the taste.
It's also nice to put a spoonful or so in mashed potato, adds a bit of 'body' to it

Wouldn't it also add color? I don't know how I'd feel about brown potatoes!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943