Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#486193 - Thu Jul 23 2009 10:12 AM Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence!
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Dijon France via S Wales UK
Sue made a rather bold statement on another thread regarding the quality of Marmite over Vegemite - then threw down the gauntlet to anyone who disagrees hehehehe

I'm staying out of this one ladies - I hate the site of blood! hehehehe

#486194 - Thu Jul 23 2009 10:31 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: delboy22]
bubbafudd Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA
I've had the displeasure of trying Vegemite so, I think I'll pass on the Marmite.

Care to join me for a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich?

#486195 - Thu Jul 23 2009 10:47 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: bubbafudd]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Uh Oh, now you've gone and done it delboy! The debate of the ages. We've had this discussion before, and remember people, there is no longer a Controversial Issues Forum!

I have had Vegemite, not had the (dubious) pleasure of tasting Marmite. I sort of think I can pass on either one. We have a shop here in town called the "British Emporium" and I'm not so sure just how long those jars have been sitting on the shelf.....

#486196 - Thu Jul 23 2009 11:03 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Jar]
L_A_Best Offline
Explorer

Loc: Cape Town South Africa  
I love Marmite! Over here you also get Bovril which is a cheap imitation. Never tried Vegemite and probably won't. My allegiance is to Marmite. I'll take it on toast, crackers, bread, in soup, stews or in a cup of hot water for a nice savory drink. It goes very well with cheese.

#486197 - Thu Jul 23 2009 11:29 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: L_A_Best]
gillimalta Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Ruthin, North Wales
Bleurgh! 'Nuff said, methinks!

#486198 - Thu Jul 23 2009 12:14 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: L_A_Best]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Quote:

I love Marmite! Over here you also get Bovril which is a cheap imitation. Never tried Vegemite and probably won't. My allegiance is to Marmite. I'll take it on toast, crackers, bread, in soup, stews or in a cup of hot water for a nice savory drink. It goes very well with cheese.

Bovril and Marmite are completely different, Bovril is beef extract, Marmite is yeast extract, the only similarity is the shape of the jars! I love them both of course.

#486199 - Thu Jul 23 2009 03:19 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

I have had Vegemite, not had the (dubious) pleasure of tasting Marmite. I sort of think I can pass on either one. We have a shop here in town called the "British Emporium" and I'm not so sure just how long those jars have been sitting on the shelf.....

It won't matter - that stuff will survive a nuclear war!

Vegemite for me (duh), there was a moment of panic in my house when the 'new' vegemite came out when we weren't quite sure if it were replacing the real stuff or adding to teh range.

#486200 - Thu Jul 23 2009 03:34 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Copago]
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Dijon France via S Wales UK
Sue - looking at your avatar alongside copago's - I would say Marmite wins hands down, because the Veggiemight jar is a kinda straight up and down guy - the Marmite jar is kinda curvy and cute! lol

Edited by delboy22 (Thu Jul 23 2009 03:36 PM)

#486201 - Thu Jul 23 2009 03:45 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: delboy22]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Ren, I feel bad you are outnumbered in avatars - one Marmite versus 2 Vegemite. Well.... Since it is a "curvy Jar" you can make Marmite my avatar any time you want!

#486202 - Thu Jul 23 2009 04:09 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Copago]
Tobyone Offline
Participant

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia       
It took the Marston/Marmite "sledge" in support of England for the Ashes (cricket) to seriously unsettle our team.

I've tried Marmite and subsequently have never left Australia without an emergency supply of Vegemite, The Wonder Spread.

Very versatile Vegemite:

Vegemite toast with a glass of Coke is the greatest hangover cure.

Vegemite and beer makes a tasty marinade for BBQ meat.

Vegemite takes the sting out of insect bites.

An avocado, Rocket and Vegemite sandwich is a taste sensation.

An ailing dog can often be tempted to eat a Vegemite toast soldier.

For now - over to the Marmies.

#486203 - Thu Jul 23 2009 04:33 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Tobyone]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Vegemite Vegemite Vegemite Vegemite!

Yum

Copago: I was a little worried when the new stuff came out too. I haven't tried it yet though...

#486204 - Thu Jul 23 2009 05:01 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: The_lioness33]
purcy Offline
Participant

Loc: Eccles Greater Manchester UK
Definately an acquired taste, and not one I like aaagh.

#486205 - Thu Jul 23 2009 05:24 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: purcy]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Time for another poll - in 2006 it was 55% in favour of Marmite and 73% not liking Vegemite!
Marmite or Vegemite?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: Thu Jul 23 2009 05:23 PM
View the results of this poll.

#486206 - Thu Jul 23 2009 06:30 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I put in my vote for the 'love vegemite'. I have a jar of both and I will eat the marmite, but not until my vegemite is gone (which is going to happen soon, I fear). I will have to get one of our Aussies to send me a jar since I've lost touch with my New Zealand friend who gave me the jar in the first place. I have found Marmite in the U.S. but so far, not the Vegemite. If anybody in the U.S. knows where I can get one, please let me know! .

#486207 - Thu Jul 23 2009 08:50 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ClaraSue]
Lones78 Online   FT-cool
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
Vegemite is the best I think.

I have also been advised to use it on my Frangipanis when I take cuttings of them to help them heal. Equal parts, Aloe Vera, Honey & Vegemite do the trick

Snails also dont like it. I have a jar in the gardening shed to rub around the stems of my young frangipanis in winter so the snails dont climb up and eat the ends of the branches.

I think the fact that you can get Vegemite flavoured rusk sticks for teething babies says a lot as well...

#486208 - Thu Jul 23 2009 09:40 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Lones78]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Quote:

Ren, I feel bad you are outnumbered in avatars - one Marmite versus 2 Vegemite.

Did you mean Sue?
I have had this avatar for ages, so in fact we have two for Marmite. Wanabees can gladly copy mine if they wish.
Marmite rusks have been around for years. I did taste Vegemite once, the rest of the jar went on the axles of our tractor.Yukkkk!!

#486209 - Thu Jul 23 2009 10:02 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ren33]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Well, guess I just want to help out the underdog, and it seems to be Vegemite now. Although, it looks like it is a tie in the works! When's the cut off for voting Sue?

#486210 - Fri Jul 24 2009 01:10 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Jar]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Some interesting results, eh, Sue?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#486211 - Fri Jul 24 2009 02:02 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Quote:

Some interesting results, eh, Sue?

Rigged, besides it has been daytime in Aussieland and night in Blightie.

#486212 - Fri Jul 24 2009 03:32 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Westmorland UK
I'm worried about the people who voted for the third option! What were they doing eating sump oil and/or axle grease?

#486213 - Fri Jul 24 2009 04:52 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Lottie1001]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
I believe both products are made from yeast, as a by product of the brewing industry. Since we all know that British beer is far superior to the Australian imitation, then it follows that the by product will also be better, so surely there's no need for a vote. I wonder how many of these misguided Vegemite supporters have actually experienced the real thing.

#486214 - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:51 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: dippo]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Vegemite is winning!

#486215 - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:54 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: dippo]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

The New Zealand Marmite must not be compared to real Marmite, the NZ one contains caramel, as does Vegemtite and Promite. the genuine article doesn't contain caramel or sugar.

#486216 - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:29 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Someone said I should take yeast tablets once, I opened the bottle and the smell! *shudders* No way would my nose let my mouth open for one of those - it was worse than durian!

The cat had some flea tablets once that smelled the same *shudders* but he tried to eat several at once.

When he got very old and frail, someone told me that cats like Marmite so I went to the supermarket and actually bought some. *shudders*

I got home, opened the jar, *shudders*, made a little broth for the cat and when it was cool, put it in his bowl *shudders* - the cat took one sniff and ran away!

PS I smelled some Vegemite when I was in Oz, it's just as bad!

#486217 - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:33 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
LA Best I must disagree with you, Bovril is not a 'cheap' immitation - they cost the same!

Since I have not tasted Vegimite I will have to vote for Marmite since I prefer it to Bovril.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943