Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#494796 - Thu Nov 05 2009 07:26 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: Choco_nut]
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
Good news, my mom says that Glee is on the top of the ratings, and she should know it's her job to keep up with them.

#494797 - Fri Nov 06 2009 02:33 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: MollyGrue]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
As far as I know, 'Glee' has been getting modest ratings (about 7mill viewers per episode). It's nowhere near the usual 14mill that 'House' and 'The Mentalist' bring in, but it was the first show to be picked up for the full season this year, so FOX knows that they have something. It's popular within certain demographics too, so they'll keep it around for a bit longer so long as the ratings keep up.

#494798 - Mon Nov 09 2009 08:37 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: kyleisalive]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio†USA††††
Don't you just love the word (and the concept, even) of "demographics" ? I remember the year that I slipped out of that esteemed *18-34* checkpoint. I gotta be honest, too: I was devastated ! How dare time play such a mean trick? Drat. My inclusion in things no longer mattered to the numbers crunchers. I was pretty much ready to pack my bags and head off to The Daisy Hill Puppy Farm (Geriatric Ward), or some such thing. I'm kinda thinking that "Glee" will catch on nicely, AND across-the-board, once it starts clicking without labels, and all that, attached. Is it a possibility that we "Puppy Farmers (Geriatric Destination)" () types like it better, right now, than the younger audience might? There's a good bit of 'unflattering' in the way it treats its characters, especially the youngsters. Mean sneaky cheerleaders? Unflinchingly doofus-y high school athletes? Geeky outsiders who think that a little Beyonce makes for a good idea on a football field? Yikes. So the younger audience might (likely) have a wee problem, or six, with how the show represents their generation. But, on the other hand, the 'oldsters' aren't shown as being very exceptional either, if one ponders it. Otherwise sensible teachers who buy into that that lump in his wife's blouse is an embryo ... when it's in fact a gradually rearranged pillow? An on-the-verge of psychotic coach of (mostly misguided) cheerleaders? The program seems to have no boundaries in how it [good-naturedly, really] pokes fun at every age bracket. I think once folks stop reading about it (the hype IS rather large) and get to watching? They'll realize it's not an artistic statement about anything "important". It's just fun! And it certainly isn't Shakespeaeran on any level. "Glee" seems to be in that slippery area between the high melodrama that people seem to like and the wild brainlessness that people seem to like just as much. It has a sensibilty to it that doesn't quite knock with the heretofore "marketable genres". Luckily, I'm reading that the music from it is selling like hotcakes on an early Sunday before church ! That's a mighty good thing, isn't it? Money, money, money! If it can keep going well that way? Maybe ratings won't matter so much. For now, anyway?

But the big news, as for we Gleeks and/or casual fans? This week's episode gives the (so far) rather background-ish Artie the front part of the stage. Yay! Even though I couldn't seem to watch the 'sneak peek' (it wouldn't load, darn it ), he even gets to do some jazzy wheelchair maneuvers and does a snappy version of "Dancing With Myself". Might disabled people feel somehow offended by such a story line? Probably, some will. Might just as many other disabled people feel empowered to see him "dance" that way? I'm pretty sure that'll happen, too.

The idea, then? The hope? Get them all watching, eh? After they do that (and the ratings start establishing solidly) all the way from Puppy Farms to junior high schools, "Glee" will be just fine. And might last more than only a year or two. Or so I hope, hope, hope.

#494799 - Mon Nov 09 2009 03:03 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: Gatsby722]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I think the show allows you take from it what you want, without it shoving morals or "lessons" down your throat. If you want to watch a show that's fun, with a bit of music, you get that show. If you want to watch a show that has underlying tones of social commentary which includes just about every aspect of high school life provided by very different characters, you get that show too.

I think that's one of the reasons I like the show so much. Some episodes I want to zone out and just listen to some pretty good music (and who doesn't love a song remake? lol) and other episodes I want to look at it in a more critical point of view, and look for the subtle lessons they are trying to portray, I can do that too.

#494800 - Wed Nov 11 2009 07:09 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: pyonir]
Choco_nut Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne
VIC†Australia
Well said Pyonir & Gats, I so dislike the "demographics" notion.. I don't like being put into a nice little box that these "marketing experts" would like to think that we all belong in either..

We have got a repeat episode on here tomorrow night (Thursday Aus time) as we have caught up to you guys and you haven't seen this weeks show yet..

I'm looking forward to seeing Artie shine this week too.. (I can't wait for Kurt and Rachel's song either.)
This week is going to be a good one!

#494801 - Fri Nov 13 2009 06:21 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: Choco_nut]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio†USA††††
Anybody watch night before last? Great episode (and notable, too, in that it gave a character, or three, the opportunity to flesh out a bit more than what we've gotten to see so far). Especially Artie, of course --- but, as mentioned, the whole episode was built around him. Finally and happily! It was kinda like watching several layers of the onion, as they apply to that high school, get peeled away. I find that I just can't help it, as things progress. As rough as he is around the edges, and as much as he tries to present as a self-involved thug in a football jersey? Ol' Puck grows on ya, doesn't he ? Especially when one looks beyond that he ultimately turned an otherwise family-oriented bake sale into an arrest-worthy "munchies fest" !? Never mind that it could have, maybe, got him put on house arrest until he gets to turn 21. It was the motives behind it that were pretty much honorable. And strangely sweet, too. And, honestly, I don't know how much praise to load onto those *Kurt and his Dad* characters, either. The way they play that story line out is just so sensible and believable, somehow! Those guys pass back and forth the 'who gets to be the mature one, today?' like, dare I say it, a football!

But one can't leave that whole hour of "Glee" without a (totally unexpected, but sensible just as much), lump in the throat in regards to Miss Sylvester ! Jane Lynch is doing, in my opinion, a totally awesome job playing her! One always senses, no matter how over-the-top she presents that woman as being, that there is *something* more there. Something gentler and kinder than that 'Feminazi' she so glories in acting like. I'm having a hard time seeing Lynch as anything but a major front-runner for an Emmy Award this year, too [as I go about making these crazy early predictions].

Terrific visit with "Glee" this time (again), folks. Just my summation of it, but possibly the best one so far ! Worth that exasperating two-week wait , indeed!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Nov 13 2009 06:25 AM)

#494802 - Fri Nov 13 2009 07:18 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: Gatsby722]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Sylvester has a heart?! I had to re-wind that part and watch again. But then, I had to re-wind and watch lots of parts. I just can't seem to get enough of this show. I actually remembered to record it on the TV instead of watching on my phone so hubby got to see it, too. He hadn't seen it before and I think he was hooked by just this one episode.

#494803 - Thu Nov 19 2009 02:26 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: Choco_nut]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

After tonight's episode, all I can say is when Shu asked what a ballad is, and that blonde girl answered "it's a duck" i missed the next 30 seconds of the show because I was laughing too hard. That was priceless.

#494804 - Thu Nov 19 2009 05:23 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: pyonir]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Ooh, this last episode had me full of gasps!

#494805 - Fri Nov 20 2009 03:37 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: pyonir]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

After tonight's episode, all I can say is when Shu asked what a ballad is, and that blonde girl answered "it's a duck" i missed the next 30 seconds of the show because I was laughing too hard. That was priceless.

She's hilarious. Every once in a while she'll say something totally off.
"Most of us don't know how to bake. I find recipes...confusing."

#494806 - Fri Nov 20 2009 08:52 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: kyleisalive]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

She's hilarious. Every once in a while she'll say something totally off.
"Most of us don't know how to bake. I find recipes...confusing."

haha, exactly. :P Great writing and she delivers the lines perfectly.

#494807 - Thu Dec 03 2009 06:30 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: pyonir]
Choco_nut Offline
Enthusiast

VIC†Australia
Just had to comment on the episode "Hairograpy" aired here on Sunday night. What an episode.. there were six musical numbers and plenty of hilarious one-liners as well.

It never ceases to amaze me how they can go from side-splitting moment one minute and then next there is a very moving or thought provoking one. Like this week with the school of the deaf teacher in Mr Shue's office.. even he had a cracking one-liner: "I run the glee club at a school for the deaf. You think Iím rolling around in deaf choir money. The next moment we see the touching "Imagine" by the deaf school. It brought me to tears it was so good.

I think Amber Riley (Mercedes) is such a lucky find too! She has a great voice and sassy attitude to match! Love that girl! I read that she tried out for Idol when she was 17 but didn't make it through to the judges.

Only two shows left (one for you guys) now, then it will be off until April. At least we will have Idol to keep us busy in between.

#494808 - Thu Dec 03 2009 08:32 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: Choco_nut]
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina††††...
Well, Glee started on November 5th over here and I've really enjoyed every episode so far. Tonight's episode (The Rhodes Not Taken) was just awesome. Kristin Chenoweth is amazing, I've liked her since I first saw her on The West Wing. All the musical numbers were really good, especially the last one - Somebody To Love. What a great song and what a great rendition!

#494809 - Sat Dec 05 2009 01:56 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: minkpenny]
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Only one show left this season. Well, at least I have Chuck and Psych starting in January to keep me busy.

#494810 - Sat Dec 05 2009 04:12 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: MollyGrue]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Molly: One more show left in the "Fall season". According to IMDB.com the next one will be in April 2010...for a spring season I assume. I love Chuck too though.

#494811 - Sun Dec 06 2009 10:02 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: pyonir]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio†USA††††
Well, that was unexpected . I finally got to watch this week's episode (the one in the USA, at least ... called "Mattress") and found myself nearly puddling up at the end of it. I hate it when that happens ~ but it surely indicates how invested in these characters I've gotten over the past weeks, almost without realizing. And, o' course, the song "Smile" is just emotional, somehow, wherever it lands. Right on the heels it came, too, after somebody finally took on Sylvester. On her own level, no less! That it turned out to be Quinn who did it? That right there was more than reason enough to happily 'smile', indeed!

I'd read about the ep, however, here and there on the web before watching --- and was a little nervous. A lot of buzz that Will's reaction to his wife and their, um, impending family was distressing to some. "He put his hands on her", etc. That it was wrong and/or out-of-character for such a gentle soul as he, and so forth. My thoughts on that? I thought his reaction to that, one of the cruelest tricks I can think of, was very believable. Seems to me it evidenced that *gentle* people get their feelings hurt in especially large ways. And he certainly deserved some major hurt feelings. And he didn't exactly strike her in any fashion, anyway. I was starting to get edgy that he might have throttled her! To have him do that would have been, naturally, ALL wrong. But his reaction the way it was seemed very true to form, or so I thought. A lesser fellow would have taken her to task much worse, or so it seemed to me.

Loved that version of "Jump" the club did, too ! Great fun -- another one of the best I've seen them do.

#494812 - Sun Dec 06 2009 03:16 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: Gatsby722]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

I found it amazing that despite the emotional roller coaster that was this episode, "Jump" was craftily placed in there and made me smile nonetheless.

#494813 - Sun Dec 06 2009 03:24 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: Gatsby722]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

A lot of buzz that Will's reaction to his wife and their, um, impending family was distressing to some. "He put his hands on her", etc. That it was wrong and/or out-of-character for such a gentle soul as he, and so forth.

I didn't read anything about the episode, so didn't know that. But my feelings on it are that I'm proud of "Glee" for showing that situation as realistic. He didn't hit her. "Glee" could have taken the easy way out and played it over the top or slapsticky like TV shows like to do, but they chose the real route. I think that people who think it was out of character or whatever should really think hard about being in the situation he was in. I think the writers wrote it perfect and Will's reaction was perfect, for the situation and extremely well acted by both Matthew Morrison and Jessalyn Gilsig.

#494814 - Sun Dec 06 2009 06:29 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: pyonir]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Does this put anyone on Terri's side though? Or is she still an antagonist?

#494815 - Mon Dec 07 2009 07:37 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: kyleisalive]
Choco_nut Offline
Enthusiast

VIC†Australia
No way would I be on Terrys side. She fully controlled and manipulated her husband and I don't blame him at all for his reaction. It was very scary though, not so much his actions but I think the look on his face was what got to me the most. It was a very intense scene that was well acted by both actors. I agree with pyonir that it was a brave move from the producers to show it realistically instead of just glossing over it like they could have done.

Sue was in her "Super Nasty" mode tonight wasn't she? Gats, what did you think of her Ohioan comment? Not nice... but kinda funny in an (only Sue Sylvester can get away with it) way.

#494816 - Thu Dec 10 2009 08:23 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: Choco_nut]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio†USA††††
Quote:

Gats, what did you think of her Ohioan comment?

Sue has a crack to offer about everything, eh? For me? I felt kinda flattered that she included this crazy state in her tirades .

Um ... did anybody else watch the 'season finale' last night? How dare I ask such a thing --- I feel pretty sure that you folks watched ! What a great way to wrap it up (for now)! A little "Dreamgirls", throw in some "Funny Girl"? While we're at it? Let's not forget a wee homage to "The Big Chill" and even throw some roses to a former American Idol ! The program just loves entertainment, and the varying forms of it, that's for sure. And it tips its hat to them all every chance it gets. Rachel absolutely brought down the rafters on "Don't Rain on My Parade", didn't she? Heck, I tried to call in to old phone number found on my desk so as to VOTE for her ! And about Mercedes, too?! The minute she started that song (one, to be honest, I'm starting to get a little sick of hearing at least four times a year on miscellaneous TV shows) I just knew that, if anybody could *own* it [yet again], it'd be her. I was mighty right! That young lady doesn't hold back at all, no matter what she's singing --- and I'm lovin' that indeed.

More emotion, too, last night. And not always the "pretty" variety, once again. While I can't give him major props for being gifted in the brain cell department, it was harsh watching Finn get to the truth like he did. Poor kid. It's a very good thing Rachel got ample time to redeem herself, too, after being such a self-centered witch doing him that way. One thing I noticed, though? Jeesh ~ Finn, Quinn and Puck -- after that major explosion -- certainly seemed to *bounce back* in a hurry . Had something like that happened in my high school days? Good heavens, we'd have all been college graduates by the time it'd have taken us to get over such turns of events. That bunch, however? Shake it off. There are showstopping songs to be sung. Prizes to be competed for. Barbra Streisand to be channeled. And, never forget, a Mister Chips-ish teacher to make proud. Looks like they'll get to worrying more about Puck, Jr. when Quinn's water breaks, I reckon . Again, though, the show isn't, and doesn't even kinda pretend to be, a documentary, does it? I thought it wrapped up nicely last night, all things considered. Not too many drive-you-crazy cliffhangers to worry about for four months. Sensible closure to most of it. I suppose the only real question, immediately, is what it'll take for Sue to regroup and get her "fight" back. My hunch? She'll go abroad for a while and join up with the Taliban.

Loved that smooch at the end, too. Who couldn't? I believe Will even ran down that hallway in slow motion, no less!? And, even after all that, in my opinion? The scene played just right.

Praises be that "American Idol" starts up soon. If nothing else, it'll make waiting for "Glee" to come back much easier (at least at my house it will) ....

#494817 - Thu Dec 10 2009 06:52 PM Re: "Glee" [Re: Gatsby722]
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Bravo Gats, you said it all better than I ever could.

#494818 - Mon Dec 14 2009 07:29 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: Gatsby722]
Choco_nut Offline
Enthusiast

VIC†Australia
Yes Gats, you summed it up pretty well for me too.

I only wish the show was a little bit longer as it all seemed a teensy bit rushed and a bit too neatly wrapped for me anyway. (I wonder if the show's production had been completed before they knew there would be another season?) I still enjoyed it, I'm a sucker for those happy 'ish, to be continued... kind of endings.

Mercedes hit it way out of the park with "And I'm Tellin You" but like you Gats, I'm over that song.. In fact, all I could think of at the time was Norman Gentle from Idol. Not that Mercedes sounds anything remotely like him but just because it's so dramatic and my mind was starting to wander a bit.

I loved the homage to Kelly Clarkson's "My Life...." and the way they incorporated the dance moves from all the routines they have done this season in that song. I loved the slow motion run down the hall and the smooch at the end.. sigh..
I've loved all the hilarious one-liners from everyone in the show each week. Some of them go over your head at the time and need a second listen but they are so funny and (most times) so politically incorrect. Who cares? We all need to laugh anyway.

There is lots to love about this show, isn't there? I look forward to April and of course IDOL's return..

#494819 - Mon Jan 11 2010 11:09 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: Choco_nut]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

One of many articles spreading the good news: http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/01/11/glee-renewed-for-a-second-season-tca-report/

'Glee' has been renewed for a second season this fall!

#494820 - Mon Jan 11 2010 11:24 AM Re: "Glee" [Re: kyleisalive]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio†USA††††
My response to that?

This!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong