Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#495126 - Sun Sep 06 2009 05:10 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: jonnowales]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
This was just the initial interview, something to start the forum off. Nothing is set in stone at this stage.

Making the question bold sounds like a good plan so I will edit the interview to do this.

#495127 - Sun Sep 06 2009 05:39 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: Lones78]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Quote:

I just read through the first interview. Sue, it was nice to know more about the person behind the screen name and avatar

Although it was an interesting read, I can see it going stale pretty quickly. The thing I like about these forums is that feedback can be given on almost any topic and at any time.

It would be nice for other people to followup on original questions or add comments to the interview. I would think that several discussions could be started just as a follow-on from an interview.

Would it be practical to maybe leave the interview posts open to feedback from members for a fixed period of time (say maybe a few weeks) then lock them? That way, people can add in their own bits and pieces and make the whole process more dynamic, without opening up a whole can of worms months down the track.

Just my 2 cents worth...

I agree with others that it would be more "interesting" for it to be a bit more open format, where people can drop questions in at random, and lock it after a few weeks. But a fascinatin interview

#495128 - Sun Sep 06 2009 07:51 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: JaneMarple]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know a bit more about Sue, thanks for sharing with us Sue.

I can see that with a bit of reshaping this could become a very popular thread.

#495129 - Sun Sep 06 2009 02:47 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: MadMags]
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
This new "Interviews" Forum looks like it's going to be a very nice and interesting place and I am hoping we will all do our best to keep it that way for many many months/years/eons .

I agree with those who said that a more 'public' interview would be better. PM-ing the questions and then posting all the answers at once doesn't look "interactive" enough to me.

When the idea of this Forum appeared, I envisioned the interviews more like a real-time conversation. As Roos said, once you read the interview (in this form that it was experimentally done) there's nothing to make you go back to that thread, if you know nothing is going to be added.

My idea would be to have a list of 10 initial questions, asked by one person (the interviewer). We can then give a week or ten days for the answers to come - they can be posted all 10 in a single post OR one post each.

After the 10 questions are answered, then I'd allow 5 extra questions coming from other members. First-come, first-served.

The interview thread has to be for questions and answers only - no 'lateral' posts/comments whatsoever (on or off-topic).

To me, that would be a fine and clear way of organising the interviews. And I think we might even have 2 or 3 (not more) threads/interviews rolling at the same time.

I do know that we all have our own "logic" and what seems clear to me might confuse others, so please forgive me if my explanations look clear as mud.

#495130 - Mon Sep 07 2009 02:18 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: denni19]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
Several ideas are being bounced around at the moment. One is that after the initial interview is posted the thread is left open for a period of,say, two weeks to allow additional questions to be asked. After this the thread will be locked and that interview closed. If someone has a particularly burning question they want answered it could be sent to either Sue or myself and we can then look at it and contact the interviewee to see if they want to answer it.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#495131 - Mon Sep 07 2009 09:26 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: denni19]
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Quote:

The interview thread has to be for questions and answers only - no 'lateral' posts/comments whatsoever (on or off-topic).

To me, that would be a fine and clear way of organising the interviews.

I agree with this, though I'm not opposed to the other suggestions. However, if these threads are not locked pretty quickly, they will most likely become very cumbersome and will certainly veer off-topic.

#495132 - Sat Sep 12 2009 07:34 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: Pagiedamon]
MadMags Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Orosi Costa Rica              
Yayyy, Gats' interview is now up. What an interesting read about one of our beloved mods on FT! I especially was taken with his closing line, "One should stubbornly keep a solid respect for where they've been, in my opinion. Helps you remember that there are always still more places to go."

Thank you Gats for this glimpse inside your personal life and head!

#495133 - Tue Sep 15 2009 04:05 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: MadMags]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Ya know Mags, I think your comment is a good one, as well as a good idea.

My thought is (trying to get this said correctly here,,,) that unless we look at how many times a thread has been viewed, we have no idea if people are actually enjoying these interviews. We can only pose further questions for a "time" before the thread will be shut down. It seems to me that unless we make comment on or about a thread, we won't know if people are *enjoying* the interviews. (I know someone else could say this better than I am.)

So, in light of my comment, here goes:

Sue - I absolutely love hearing about your "island." It is certainly something I'd like to add to my bucket list.

You (and Gatsby, too) are so interesting. I imagine living vicariously through your interviews.

Gats - every time I drive to upstate New York I drive through the northeast Ohio area and think of you every time. "How's Gats doing? Where could he be now? Hope he's having a good day today!" I often imagine what it would be like were I to move back to my home town, (Chicagoland area) or what life would have been like had I even stayed there!

Do keep up these wonderful interviews - maybe in a year we can vote for "best interviewee!"

#495134 - Tue Sep 15 2009 04:35 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: Jar]
Tobyone Offline
Participant

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia       

I've thoroughly enjoyed both interviews. It's wonderful to have a glimpse into other people's lives and surroundings and it's very generous of the interviewees to allow this.

I'm looking forward to more interviews.

#495135 - Tue Sep 15 2009 04:36 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: Jar]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
Which staff member would you like to see interviewed next?

#495136 - Tue Sep 15 2009 04:55 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: BxBarracuda]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I'm picturing a large bingo ball spinner being turned at the end of every week by the previous interviewee. As the ball reaches the end of a short, metal track, the crowd falls to a hush and the next participant is announced.

That's just one option though.

#495137 - Tue Sep 15 2009 08:11 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: kyleisalive]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
<Which staff member would you like to see interviewed next? >
Terry Ford

#495138 - Tue Sep 15 2009 09:12 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: ren33]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Who?

#495139 - Tue Sep 15 2009 11:26 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: kyleisalive]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
ren, we could start a chant --

We want Ter-ry!
We want Ter-ry!
We want Ter-ry!

Anyone else?

#495140 - Wed Sep 16 2009 11:19 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: Jar]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

BxB has now completed three interviews and is working on a fourth. Does anyone else want to have a go at being the questionmaster? You've seen how he does it and I'm sure he'll be happy to give you a few tips.

#495141 - Thu Sep 17 2009 06:28 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: romeomikegolf]
queproblema Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kenny Lake Alaska USA     
There was the thought of not having a questionmaster, though BxB has certainly done a fine job.

I just came to this thread to say I enjoy these interviews and hope they continue.

#495142 - Fri Sep 18 2009 08:36 PM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: queproblema]
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
I've enjoyed all three interviews as well! Great job, everyone!

#495143 - Mon Sep 21 2009 09:29 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: Pagiedamon]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Oops! I had no idea that this is where I was supposed to post my feedback on howmuch I've loved these interviews so far.

Mea culpa! I've just added an extraneous posting to each of the three interview threads that are up there. The sentiment is true, but it wasn't the place to post them.

Can one of the moderators who has the power to do so remove those posts?

I'm sorry for gumming up the works.

Sue

#495144 - Mon Sep 21 2009 10:02 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: shuehorn]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Sue, instead of us deleting what you've posted, why not follow them up with a question?

#495145 - Mon Sep 21 2009 11:54 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: romeomikegolf]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Definitely anticipating more of these- excited to see who shows up over the next little while.

#495146 - Tue Sep 22 2009 01:50 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: kyleisalive]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Good idea! Thinking of some right now.

#495147 - Tue Sep 22 2009 02:05 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: shuehorn]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

The interview with Gatsby will be locked tomorrow unless any new questions are asked.

#495148 - Tue Sep 22 2009 02:10 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: romeomikegolf]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Quote:

The interview with Gatsby will be locked tomorrow unless any new questions are asked.

Probably a good idea to close mine down again too if there are no more questions to come.

#495149 - Tue Sep 22 2009 06:30 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: sue943]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Will do Sue. I'll lock mine as soon as the next one appears.

#495150 - Sun Sep 27 2009 01:34 AM Re: General chat about the interviews, suggestions etc. [Re: romeomikegolf]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

I can't seem to read the latest addition to the current interview of Tabby Tom, but I'm getting an access denied message. Am I doing something worng?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Pagiedamon, romeomikegolf, sue943